Whats you favorite scissor ?

Also very curious on every ones opinion on best with a and with out spring . curved vs strait . etc.
:peace:

Beautician scissors are extremely sharp and expensive. My wife has hers from beauty school (20 years ago) cause they were a fortune and to this day hold the best edge. Oil and stones are the only way to sharpen them, very tedious but razor sharp. If I were to try and trim with them she'd use them and snip my coconuts! :slap:

I ended up going with these.

outwest

attachment.php

https://www.dazeys.net/chikamasa-t550-blue-torsion-spring-scissor-p-6097.html

Attachments

• T550 Blue.JPG
    T550 Blue.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 68
:

Note: If you want extremely sharp scissors and well made, ask a person who cuts hair for a living where they buy theirs at.. if their scissors are not sharp and stay sharp your looking at a lot of split ends..
so next question to ask is: How do you sharpen your scissors??

nice thread btw

my lady cuts hair for a living, has a pair worth around 450$. She sends them about 2-3 times a year to a professional scissor sharpener dude.

Do they have3 curve version?

I believe so but you'd have to order it from Japan. They also have a fluorine coated version to shed scissor hash easier. Mmmmm scissor hash.

my lady cuts hair for a living, has a pair worth around 450$. She sends them about 2-3 times a year to a professional scissor sharpener dude.

I'd love to trim with a $450 pair of shears!

We use to use a pair just like that just orange-yellow and not blue. They were made by zinport. They stopped making them or quit supplying NGW and BWGS with them. They were curved also. Super sweet pair with a rivet instead of a screw.
Enjoy your day my friend.
Score

Thanks! Dazeys is the only place in the US selling these currently. I'll post up a review as their going to get a good work out as soon as they arrive.

Speaking of scissors, does anyone love scissor hash as much as I do?

outwest

Last edited:
So I called Dazeys to order a pair of the b-500srf as well. I asked them about the t-550 for trimming as I was concerned the 2" blade was too big coming from Fiskars. They suggested the t-500s which has a smaller stainless steel blade and would be better for trimming. 38mm blade on the t-500s vs 48mm on the t-550. I'm also curious about the sap resistant coating on the b-500srf.

outwest

I believe so but you'd have to order it from Japan. They also have a fluorine coated version to shed scissor hash easier. Mmmmm scissor hash.

I'd love to trim with a $450 pair of shears!

Thanks! Dazeys is the only place in the US selling these currently. I'll post up a review as their going to get a good work out as soon as they arrive.

Speaking of scissors, does anyone lose scissor hash as much as I do?

outwest

man I used to be that guy - now I keep a small jar near me when Im trimming

those chikamasa's are nice..they look the same or similar as Okatsune 304's, but seem a little large for trimming

I just checked and the t-500s is smaller lighter and has a shorter blade than the model you mentioned. The image is posted are not what I ended up going with because they were too big.

outwest

I looked up the okatsune and the 307 is pretty much identical to the chilamasa t-500s.

outwest

So I got 2 pairs of Chikamasa scissors. The b-500srf and the t-500s. The b-500 are the bansai style and the t-500 is the spring loaded style. The b-500 has a fluorine coating that is supposed to be sap resistant.

After an evening trim session with some incredibly resinous Scott's OG I really like these. I've always been pretty happy with the Fiskars micro tips. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Chikamasa's were noticeably sharper and more durable. Trimming still sucked but I did find it easier and more efficient. My neighbor also noticed a significant difference. He felt like he was doing a better job trimming because of the scissors.

The 'sap resistant' fluorine coating was so so. I was able to trim for 3.5 hours without cleaning the scissors, which is pretty good, but they did get somewhat gummed up and had to be cleaned by pulling off gunk with your fingers. This didn't really clean the scissor but did make it usable again. I soaked them in olive oil over night and wiped them down and they are ready to trim another day.

They do come with a lubricant on the blade and hinge, I'd recommend cleaning this off prior to use.

They are definitely pricier , but not crazy expensive, about double the cost of the Fiskars micro tips $9 vs $18. You can get the chilkamasas cheaper if you order from a Japanese retailer but then you have to wait for shipping from Japan, or the UK perhaps.

Photo below is the t-500s, Fiskars micro-tip, and the b-500srf.

I hope everyone is enjoying a bountiful fall harvest.

outwest

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 114
Back