315 watt Ceramic MH info ?

Glass Man

I've been seeing folks mention these bulbs, but I'm fuzzy on the details. What ballasts are they for? I have a couple 400w HPS and also a couple 400 MH ballasts, will it operate on either of these?

What's the spectrum? Is it a flowering bulb? Any other info?

Where are they available for the best price?

Also, are these type bulbs made in other wattage sizes?

I have the 315 LEC lights. they have 2 available spectrums, blue and red/blue...they cannot be interchanges with mogul lamps like the ones you have...I believe I got mine delivered for 425 each, give or take...they are super bright:exactly:

I believe they have engineered them to be a proprietary to their fixtures...the have a very unusual pin connector that isn't used in any other applications that I've ever seen...watt for watt the blow all other veg lights away...can a light be too bright...:hmm:

The reason that they are not comapaible with a regular digi ballast is that they will shake themselves apart under 20,000 hertz. i have the mogul version of these bulbs although I am told that phillips has discontinued the mogul base for this light. fortunately I bought 4 extra bulbs when i purchased mine. if it is true that phillips discontinued the mogul version in about 4 years I will be looking for some pgz18 sockets to put in my hoods:D

2b2s

kazzy, the quality of the light is far better and uses far less energy than what these lights replaced...I always used the 400Mh, switched to T'5's, and am not groovin with the 315's...

I only have two 400w CMH left, so next year I'll be making the switch to LEC.

Like glass man, I'm curious about the ballast. Is it remote or connected to the hood?

Also, is it 60 hertz so those of us in unfriendly states don't have to worry about transmitting noise to the neighborhood?

the ballast is integral and it's gotta be 60 hertz to work here in the states...I have 4 in veg and am quite happy but they will dry out the room fast...I water every day now...

If you like to DIY and save money you could purchase the ballast @ http://www.ballastdiscount.com/iztmh210315rlfm.html and for the bulbs and hood you could go here http://growershouse.com/lights/ceramic-mh-reflectors-lamps-bulbs-grow-lights or prolly any of your favorite bulb supply sites. I purchased mine from 2 separate sources, at first I ordered from Advanced Technology Solutions lighting but i was not getting my product so I went ahead and ordered from the discount ballast and i do not remember where i got the bulbs but they both arrived b4 the order from ATS, to be honest I do not think I would have received my order from ATS if I had not filed a did not receive my order with my C.C, company after waiting for 30 days:D

2b2s

Last edited:
kazzy, the quality of the light is far better and uses far less energy than what these lights replaced...I always used the 400Mh, switched to T'5's, and am not groovin with the 315's...

Boo so its higher quality of light and uses less energy but you are not groovin with the 315's Is it a hear issue?

It's also claimed that they shorten the flowering time by about 1 week. That's amazing.

If I were a commercial grower I'd get a bunch of these. Heck, saving electricity, time, and spreading the light.

I hear a lot of talk about Gavita (sp?), but I'm not sure on the details of their benefits. Hard to imagine beating these 315's.

these lamps seem to dry my grow out fast, I feed almost daily in veg...solo cups are few every day...the plants need to be topped weekly as I've got a garbage pail full of discarded cuts...the only negative other than the dryness they create is the red lamped flower doesn't seem to have the punch to flower nearly as deep as the HPS...I've found 30 days under the LEC and the finish under the 1K raptor...that gives he time and space to do my thing...growing under my circumstances has become a pain but still worth the effort...it's a long story but I sleep in my own bed and don't have a room mate...:whistle:

not when his name is antonio and were both wearing striped pajamas...

I'm considering lamping the tent with a DE 600HPS gavita, the 315 just isn't strong enough to light up a 5' square tent for my standards...they work fine in veg but I'm not digging the one in flower...anyone know about how much heat these 600's throw...:whistle:

In my situation I have only used these 315's in veg. I replaced 3 1K MH with four 315's and the growth imho has not slowed one bit, quite the contrary, they are causing me to top every other day and making my girls go crazy under the Gavitas in the flower room. I do not believe these are suited to flowering by themselves, I have spoken at length to the owner of nanolux and even he said it is not the pancea for flower rooms it has been touted to be. Supplemental lighting in flower seems to be the consensus on these as far as the flower room goes. i cannot praise these 315's enough for their effectiveness in the veg room, but after many hours of reading threads on these in flower, I have decided that for my situation these lights are best left in veg:D

2b2s

Interesting to hear they aren't so great for flowering. What about the reported yield increases & shorter flowering times? What is the downside that you are describing?

So, tell me a what's so special about Gavitas. It's an HPS ballast, but improved somehow? Are they available in 400 & 600 sizes?

Back