What's Your Dessert?

My wife is the baker around here. I cook but I don't bake. In fact, I never use the oven at all, preferring the grill (my wife's also a vegetarian, so we don't roast things very often).

Anyway, she likes to create new recipes. Last weekend she made an apricot-frangipane cheesecake. Cookie crumb crust, layer of frangipane (made with Myers Dark and Diplomatico rums, so it was deeeep), another layer of crust, then cheesecake filling, topped with poached apricots and an apricot glaze.

It focken rocked. I ate a lot of it. Not good for my innards, but god it was tasty!

She also makes this banana creme pie with a rum caramel base. SO good!

Anything sweet! But...I forsee Juneberry pie in the near future...chokecherries, hopefully, in a few weeks. Not every year do we get berries, here. Ice cream is one of my faves, but like I said, most anything sweet. chocolates. OMG, just tasted some milk chocolate, cinnamin, candybars that are weed laced. Soooooo good, wish that I had more than a taste! (brand was something like Goda?)

We have a couple of purchased cultivars of juneberry, but most of our syrup/jam is from the wild ones, probably polyhybrids or saskatoons...bird sown, so who knows? Juneberries are yummy, and can be eaten fresh. Chokecherries, argh, pretty sour...make the fam's fave syrups and jams.

recently I received a package from a sister, only family left back in the home town. not an easy time of none of it, lives in sec 8 housing, in the poorest of health, chronic epileptic fits. they fucked with her PFC in the 70s when they didn't know anything. well, she will always write back (snail mail only) and if you send you will receive. oh boy, flat banana bread from 7-11 (no shit). well, I sent her a couple tea pots (CRS) and send bag tea, good stuff. She sent me Swiss Miss - you mix water and nute it. I am hooked. Swiss Miss, we grew up on that shit when we were 12 living in a one bath cape.

All of it, cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, all candies, ice cream, if it’s sweet I’m in.

My absolute favorite is baked farmers cheese, kinda custard like but with a crumbly juicy cheese texture, put on 2 lbs in one sitting. Pumpkin pie is real close, killed 11 of um this past holiday season, from store bought to homemade.

Bisquick peach coffee cake here in a min, with coffee.

I did, when I had two cats that didn't get along.

My wife is making test tarts, mini-pies if you know what I mean, to test some recipes. I think this is gonna turn out to be a good thing. ;)

well i have several favorite desserts. i will list the latest 2 that truly impressed me:

Black Pepper Ginger Panna Cotta with red wine poached pears. Very interesting and not as peppery/gingery as it sounds. Tasted so amazing I bought one for the proper seated at the next table over.

Milk and Honey: organic Honey comb, house made vanilla bean gelato, blueberry compote with cinnamon toast points. this was so simple and tasted so amazing.

Last edited:
..Tasted so amazing I bought one for the seated at the next table over..

Nice! Very nice! Know that feeling well, when you find something great and want to share with the world.
Descriptions like that, you could be a food critic, but with that appreciation, better a chef.
Love Panna Cotta's. SOOO wanted a piece of a Milk Tart in a local store last week but held off (have a nice South African recipe for one in the archives).

That's a tough one @drifting13.
Eat a low glycemic diet in general. That and a low-lectin diet (so gluten free, no nightshade family such as tomato & peppers) which keeps arthritis, back pain and bunch of other things completely away, and feeling healthy/energized.
They'll come roaring back in less than one week with gluten/lectins/sugar in diet, last time did it was over Thanksgiving for several days. Took about 10 days to recover.
Of course, that took years to figure out, while seeing dermatologists, chiropractors, gastroenterologists, etc. in the process. None of them helped, just short visits, prescriptions, the odd test.

So will live vicariously through you all - ENJOY!

Nice! Very nice! Know that feeling well, when you find something great and want to share with the world.
Descriptions like that, you could be a food critic, but with that appreciation, better a chef.
Love Panna Cotta's. SOOO wanted a piece of a Milk Tart in a local store last week but held off (have a nice South African recipe for one in the archives).

That's a tough one @drifting13.
Eat a low glycemic diet in general. That and a low-lectin diet (so gluten free, no nightshade family such as tomato & peppers) which keeps arthritis, back pain and bunch of other things completely away, and feeling healthy/energized.
They'll come roaring back in less than one week with gluten/lectins/sugar in diet, last time did it was over Thanksgiving for several days. Took about 10 days to recover.
Of course, that took years to figure out, while seeing dermatologists, chiropractors, gastroenterologists, etc. in the process. None of them helped, just short visits, prescriptions, the odd test.

So will live vicariously through you all - ENJOY!

I do work in fine dining as a Waiter. Worked under a couple world class chefs too. Might you share that recipe??

I do work in fine dining as a Waiter. Worked under a couple world class chefs too. Might you share that recipe??

Awesome. Here you go. Couldn't find digital file so snapped pic from the recipe book.
Fun fact: may not go well with the "dessert" theme, but printed recipe on paper made from Elephant Dung. Picked it up traveling in South Africa, seemed appropriate (enough) for a South African Milk Tart.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Enjoy!

Back