What's Your Dessert?

Shovelhandle

I looked for a thread like this but couldn't find it...

Last evening picked up some ice cream for desert.
Vermont Maple and Bacon.
Tastes great. Smooth, creamy maple ice cream melts in your mouth and when it's gone there's a bunch of crispy, crunchy bacon chunks. How they do it?

Fresh local strawberries are in season. So sweet and taste it'll curl your toes.

DeSSerts! Two S's as you want more! Not the sahara desert!
Lately just plain 10% cabot yoghurt with some maple syrup and sometimes a bunch on nuts on it...
But, I have a history of being a sugar addict....so.....

This year's local strawberries are the best in years due to the dry weather. However, it better rain here soon or the field crops will be hurtin'.

Local Strawberry Shortcake with fresh local Jersey whipped cream, for the win.

like the old saying goes " everything is better with bacon "..
I'm just guessing but think they maybe use precessed bacon bits in the ice cream to keep it crunchy..ya know, like the kind you buy at the supermarket to sprinkle on salads and such which I would never use..
then again if it's made in small batches locally they'd probably
do it like I would in my ice-cream machine with slab bacon cut into small chunks and deep fried..
sounds delicious shovel..

gave up on strawberries a couple of years ago after years of fighting critters that eat them but the local ones at the farmers market have been outstanding this year..:eat:

favorite dessert category is ice cream, pretty much any kind except the cheapo stuff. i like most sweets but am not a fan of pie...just don't like pie crusts.

weed-ice-cream-745x483.jpg

Strawberries have been phenomenal here in the PNW too this year, so delicious.

Tonight its trolli extreme sour bites fruitz though lol. Good candy for sure my type

thought I'd try and get the ball rolling for desserts again..

been going through my apples and yesterday made my Mom's recipe for apple strudel which I haven't made in 2 or 3 years..she immigrated from Germany with my Dad back in 52 so I consider it authentic but I've never seen it anywhere on my trips to Germany..

very simple and really no set recipe..just make it the way you like it..
make up a batch of pasta dough..any recipe works..roll out the dough paper thin..I have a small Italian pasta machine so if you have one get your dough thinned down to #6 sheets..personally, every kitchen should have one of these..store bought pasta sucks..

mix up the amount of cored, peeled and sliced apples you want to use with brown sugar, reg sugar, dash of cinnamon, pinch of salt, small cut up cubes of unsalted butter, grated lemon peel, squeeze of lemon, all to taste..I don't like overly sweet desserts so I go easy on the sugar but me loves lots of butter..
then add whatever else you like to taste..for me it's walnuts but you can go with any kind of nuts, raisins, dried fruits or whatever tickles your buttcheeks..

spread this mixture out on your pasta sheets and roll it up like a cinnamon roll..lay em into a buttered baking pan..brush melted butter over the top and bake until golden brown in a 375 degree oven..allow to cool and serve with whip cream or icecream..sprig of fresh mint from the garden is always nice or topped with strawberries..keeps for days in the fridge and a quick reheat in the microwave is always nice..goes great with a glass of ice wine..
prost!

Oh you guys!!!
My last work hike took me to huckleberry and wild strawberry country at Mt Saint Helens. We ate them on the hike back to the trailhead. Norway Pass trail has them all over at the higher altitudes.
Really though my favorite was summed up in Maui at Kimos eating that Hula Pie.
I'll dig up a pic.
OMFG.
Anything chocolate is tops for me.
Yum. :confetti:

Caramelized bread and raisin pudding with real Canadian maple syrup drizzled everywhere with lots of whipped cream. Damn I've got the munchies now.

chocolate is a good thing Joe..my forte is not in baking but I do make a mean chocolate cake and also a cheese cake very similar to Juniors out of Brooklyn..it's just so time consuming and a 50 50 chance it comes out perfect..it's not an easy task where exact measurements aren't essential..
I'm more of a dinner cooker..

anyway, thought I'd share my chocolate mousse recipe which was taught to me by chef Andre Maire when I was his protege and sue chef back in 71..it was an honor to work and learn from one of the masters who earned many awards in Paris..
it's so simple but takes practice..through the years I've had nothing but rave reviews using his recipe and have yet to find one better.. I even got written up in the late 70s when I took over as head chef for his chocolate mouse..

you can add a bit of orange liquor if you like..
you will need a scale..
this is a down sized version since we would make enough for 50 people at a time..
as a matter of fact one time we became even more famous for the mousse when Aerosmith came in drunk out of their minds and had a chocolate mousse fight in the dinning room..they left a very generous tip for the clean up..kind of looked like someone took a shit all over the place..:shh:

16 oz of heavy whipping cream..best to have a kitchen aid stand up mixer..
whip until thick but not to thick..just nice ribbons and fluffy..
scrape into another bowl, refrigerate and clean mixing bowl spotless or else your egg whites won't work..
melt 12oz of high quality semi sweet chocolate in a double boiler..
allow to cool but stay melted..
sperate yolks from egg whites..enough to make 1 cup of egg whites, maybe even a tad more..you can save the yolks for making pasta or custard..make sure that there is no trace of egg yolk in the egg whites..
in a small sauce pan add 100 grams of sugar with a splash of water.. bring to a light simmer and cool for 2 minutes...
add eggs whites to mixer and on high speed slowly pour in your warm sugar water mixture..
once egg whites are stiff take your bowl off the mixer and gently fold in the melted chocolate with a rubber spatula..do not deflate egg whites..then fold in your whip cream with great care..what you are trying to accomplish is lots of air so as not to delate the cream and egg whites but also making sure all the ingredients are combined with no lumps..takes practice....
refridge over night and enjoy..

Two favorites...both pies,
First is Cherry Cream cheese pie Graham cracker crust .
1 pkg Philadelphia Cream cheese,
1 cup sugar
Blend well
1 pkg Dream Whip
1 cup ice cold milk
Prepare Dream Whip according to instructions. Blend with cream cheese mixture.Put in graham cracker pie crust. Top with chilled canned cherries...Quick and delicious.

2nd is Lemon Cake.back later with that recipe..Also quick and delicious. These are great summertime deserts.
P.S. I adore strawberry picking season as well. I grow my own as we have Nourses not too far away. They have nice root stock. I pick a fair amount of wild raspberries too. My favorite strawberry shortcake would be made with Bisquick biscuits...always

Last edited:
My favorite are pastry.. and great thing about that is, ice cream is great on warm pastries.

All Time Favorite though has a cool story in it, so here we go:
Graduated high school, got home from party in time to crawl into back seat and get dropped off 4hrs away from Vegas in Utah at Zion Nat Park where I worked June 1st thru October when snow closed the park back then..
I did not want to return to sin city so got a job at the tiny town just outside park entrance in Springdale Utah.. AT: The Bumbleberry Inn ..
where I stayed in the Bumbleberry Motel and worked as the Bumbleberry cook.. this place made Bumbleberry Pie.. Blueberry, Blackberry & Boysenberry made up this awesome pie.. a warm piece of BB Pie alamode, forget aboot it.. Not too sweet, the best Desert I've ever had..

Next: The Great Divide Ice Cream by Bluebell.. the only ice cream on the market that actually tastes homemade..

sounds good Budluver..no baking involved..simple and easy..

strawberry season is coming to a slow end here in the PNW but lots of blackberries still around..
my pear tree is loaded and need to pick them next week..
contemplating on how you use them this year besides making Jam or tarts....

Would love to see that recipe for Bumbleberry pie Cartie..sounds awesome..

where the fock can you buy the Great Divide icecream?..bet ya if they called it " Blueballs " it'd sell better..:spanked:

Ice Cream - especially sweet cream ice cream with fresh fruit
Creme Brulee
Flan
Pie from Bonnie's
Almost anything with fresh whipped cream on top
Flourless chocolate cake
Donuts
Cinnamon Rolls
tiramisu

Went to Bacon Bacon in SF a few weeks ago. Did not try them but they had bacon cookies and chocolate dipped bacon. Yum.

Great thread!

outwest

rosso you could use a few pears to make an apple and pear pie.Knew a very interesting older fellow with a baking background. He made them on a regular basis for me for a while up until he passed at 94. Highly recommended.
GO

Simple man here....gimme ` a plateful of warm Chocolate Chip cookies or a plate of no-bakes (with no pb) . Yep...chocoholic !!
peace

Back