To all breeders who sell seeds

Just wondering in this day and age why does not every strain your trying to sell have pictures on your site

I don't know, breeding marijuana seeds isn't like trading bootlegs, I don't think anyone is expecting to create a perfect copy, that's what the clone market is for. It seems to me that the best breeders out there know that their work isn't about an end product but rather, each seed has the potential to be the beginning of further work towards something they don't have a picture of, or at the least the chance for someone to preserve another unique specimen. We are all part of the work, it is about keeping the whole thing going and in as many directions as possible, and less about bottle-necking, labeling and regulating products. The big breeders know they cant do it all themselves and usually their goal in sending us their work is so perhaps we might find something special to us individually so we can label and document it, not necessarily to find what is in the hyped picture. Think of how many great phenotype and possibilities are probably thrown away when someone is chasing the hype they saw on that picture on Instagram rather than seeing what each type that came to them has to offer to the population. Obviously we cant keep and breed everything but no life should be treated hastily. especially not the life of this sacred plant.
IMO if we are going to ask the breeders to take further steps in labeling their work, it should start with focusing on the effects first, the smell and flavor second and the growing characteristics which could include pictures would be third. I also like the idea of growing tips specific to cultivar that need special treatment.
The bottom line though is the bottom line, and the more expensive their bottom line is, the more expensive their seeds will be to me. I prefer they focus their work on the breeding. Stay in your zone and keep on truckin! No good artwork comes from the demographic study or the critics, it comes from that special place in the zone.

I'm a web designer and hobby pollen chucker/wannabreeder (did I just coin that total uncool term by degrading myself?) and was starting a site for breeders to document the breeding process/link the genetics to a database such as the codex the syndicate has been working on and a phone app to make the photography documenting easy. I guess a lot of the pieces are already well in development. I'll have a rethink I think.

It's not a lot different than searching for a new puppy. You can meet the owners of the dogs, the breeders male and female breeding dogs, and all the puppies together... there is still not telling what you are going to end up with once that pup matures... he could lick you to death, or rip your neighbours... never mind...

Personally and respectfully, i'd for-go the list, everyone here has made bigger choices in life than what cannabis seeds they are going to buy and from whom...
Everyone has the right to do what they want, but I'll add this:

Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute... what if the seed makers/breeders made up a list of the growers "who they feel grow out their seeds to perfection every time"... I bet that list would be very short and a lot of the folks who think they would make the list... well, you should get the point by now...

I just have a thing against lists (except your own internal list)... Nazis' had lists, The White Star Line/the Titanic had a list, my home room teachers all had lists... all those lists went very BAD FAST!... ha ha

As a final thought, what if the seed makers/breeders had a list like I described, and they wouldn't sell/trade/give seeds to anyone who didn't make it onto their list?

At times, our attempts at efficiency, create or cause divisive outcomes.

Back