The pasta thread

damn Jay, those ravs look good..almost to healthy looking:)

Annaba, if you want a real simple recipe that never fails me here it is..
1 cup of semolina flour
1 cup of king arthur bread flour
2 eggs..
about 4 tablespoons of water..more or less..a little more is better..
throw it all into a food processor and once it forms a ball take it out..the trick is knowing how much water to add while you have it in the food processor..if it looks to dry add a touch more water, if it's to wet you can add some flour while kneading it.. take it out and knead it for about 5 minutes until it's nice and elastic..re fridge it for 20 minutes in plastic food wrap so the dough can rest..
get yourself one of these..I bought mine in 1980 for 20 bucks and it still works great..never wash it, just wipe it off..
they'll be calling u the pasta king in no time at all:D

mine's an Atlas 6 inch..6 inch is plenty for home use..the thing will make it to my grandchildrens children and way beyond..never seen the Imperia but sometimes it's worth a few extra bucks to get something that will last..
Atlas, it's indestructible..:) and worth every penny..I have 2 large apple trees and also use it for making apple strudel..it's so much easier then rolling out your pasta..

inflation sucks:sad2:
mine came with the attachment for making fet and vermicelli..my kids loved playing with it and making pasta when they were young..
have fun with it Annaba..

excellent, i knew you had it in ya.

i made trays and trays of these a few days ago, they keep well when its this cold, even in the little basket trays i use.

picture.php

eating some of them right now smothered in a sopressata and cream based sauce, oh yea i used homemade butter too which rocks.

that bread btw looks delicious, wish i had some right now. bake day isnt until sunday and im out of bread already.

Glad to hear ya got some...wish ya woulda takin more.

Happy to hear ya liked em.

:laugh: I wanted to take them all! I restrained myself :p

I baked some as baked potatoes and I chopped / baked / seasoned some.

looks good. have you considered finishing the pasta in the sauce? if you pull the pasta early and let it finish cooking in the sauce (with a small amount of the pasta water added) you'll get a much better end product.

it's common practice to use a little bit of the pasta water to loosen up the sauce. then you would add the pasta back into the sauce to finish the cooking process and help the flavors meld.

Sorry Annaba..I totally forgot about this thread..
as for questions about the gnocchi it takes a bit of time and practice..
I use a potato ricer ( greatest invention since the wheel ) and it takes hands of years of burns to peel them hot potatoes..the reason for not for peeling your potatoes first is that they absorb to much water while cooking..at the restaurant we use to bake the potatoes but
found it easier at home to just boil them hole, pour into a colander and they dry off fast from the heat..I've been making those suckers since the 80s and my mom and an Italian chef got me dialed in but as with most things I like to cook I'll change it around to my way of doing things..practice makes perfect..

as for pasta been making it since I was a little bambino..
in the RR household I make it once a week..
since I've gotten lazy in my old age I've simplified making it to perfection..
in a food processor add 1/2 cup of semolina flour, 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose non bleached flour with a pinch of salt..turn it on and slowly add 8 egg yolks in about 30 seconds with a splash of olive oil..then pour in cold water until it forms a solid ball of dough about a quarter cup..do not add to much water or it'll turn out like chit..
knead it for a few minutes by hand..flatten it out into a pancake shape, wrap in food wrap and refrigerate it for and hour..cut into quarters and roll it out or I use my 30 year old Lusso Atlas cranker down to # 5 from # 1..then cut it up into fettuccine or spaghetti..you'll need lots of flour during this process on your work surface..once cut up I make little nests on cookie sheets and freeze em for a few hours and then place the nests in freezer bags..
this way I cook pasta any time I want and there's no way to tell the difference from fresh to frozen..another tip..don't pour your pasta into a colander..use tongs or a slotted spoon and toss it directly into your sauce or butter..
the boiling water from the pasta helps to bind your pasta to the sauce..just don't over cook it..
have fun:party:

Grew up in a Italian house, we made pasta for the week every Monday. Had the weird wooden collapsible drying racks taking up the whole kitchen the whole day with flour flying through the air like a fog machine.

Now I just make a small batch and roll it out as we want it. Have been using a rolling pin for well over a decade but would love to invest in a Atlas someday, would save a ton of time and effort.

Always love your recipes Rosso, yours is close to mine except I've always used whole egg. Will have to try just the yokes.

I too toss my pasta back in with my sauce for a minute or two to coat and finish, really spreads out and deepens the flavors I think:puffpuffpass:

Why can't gluten free pasta be as easy to make. DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IT

I love this thread. My oldest makes her own pasta.
I hate this thread - I need wheat free gluten free pasta!
:sad2:

It's cheap to buy but hard to make....

Gluten is the magic that makes all pizza dough, pasta, gnocchi and bread so amazing..
so sorry that you can't indulge in it OP..you just have to make the best of it in your situation..
folks with diabetes have to watch their diet..

Glad to hear ya got some...wish ya woulda takin more.

Happy to hear ya liked em.

I'm glad this thread has been resurrected! Annaba, has it been that long since I seen ya? about 6 years? I can't remember :deadhorse2:

Gnocchi might pop up on a menu of mine soon!

Back