The pasta thread

i hear you rosso, luckily i can get a hold of the fresh stuff often. better get a cow rosso lol.

on a pasta note, i recently got a ravioli rolling pin, not this exact one but basically the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3085-Ravioli-Rolling-Pin/dp/tags-on-product/B00005EBH6

its awesome, you can make hundreds of ravioli at once almost effortlessly, then freeze them up and eat whenever you want. I highly recommend it for those who love stuffed pasta.

Yum, that pasta looks great Jay! I need to get on the pasta band wagon once harvest is over and I actually have time to cook again.

here is a list of some states that allow the raw dairy and butters -- ive noticed if it comes from good heritage breeds like the dexter or jersey and guernsey and fed good and proper -- finished with organic barley and only heated in small batches to 145 for 25 minutes or 165 for 7 minutes its still superior -- after heated they add the culture -- it will culture on its own if left and was raw -- yee haw -- take care

Attachments

• RawMilkNationMapSmall2.jpg
    RawMilkNationMapSmall2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2
rosso most american pastures are of poor quality and lousy forage for the cow so lots of grass fed beef and dairy does taste like swill -- it needs to be fattened with barley grain in the states or finished that way
haha so the euro butters do sound tasty maybe one day i go to paris -- hehe

ciao

well I'll be damned GS..
that map has me slightly confused...actually very confused..so very easy for me..:)
i thought federal law has everything pasteurized..
every state I've travel to you can't buy raw milk at a market..
even here in Mendocino it's illegal to buy direct from a dairy farmer..never seen the chit at a health food store either..

Blaze..buddy, just kill me..this harvest is slow death..I can't take it anymore..

http://claravaledairy.com/

that company above is tops -- there is one store maybe within a decent drive maybe next time on a road trip get some berkshire black pig gourmet bacon and some raw milk yee haw

http://claravaledairy.com/store_list.html#marin_sonoma_sacramento

look at the website it has some of the stores that carry the milk---

this company might sell to some health food gourmet market in one of your close towns check or call them and see where they sell it -- they manufacture sell regular and cultured raw butter

http://www.organicpastures.com/

from the pics, looks like dough might have been a bit too wet. its not supposed to be anything like pizza dough or bread dough, much much firmer. its going to be pretty firm when your done kneading, when you let it rest, thats when it softens up at least 2x. making it easy to roll/shape

no need to rest in the fridge. under a bowl on the cutting board is what i do.

my first try ended up like that but worse, they were like mushy bread.

kneading until extra smooth is also very critical imo. if you dont knead enough, it just wont be as good. and itl be tougher to work with.

lol yea, if you want to pile them, you must dust with flour first, but dusting too much makes the pasta soggy. i like to lay them out in the woven basket trays i posted earlier in the thread.

as long as they were eatable, for a first try id say you did better than me.

yup, to wet Annaba but that sauce looks perfect..if that's not homemade I'll shot myself in the foot..:)
you'll get the pasta down on the next try..

also not sure how you did it, but starting like this makes it easier.

add flour to bowl
create bowl in the flour
then add the eggs stir them in
add water a tablespoon or two at a time now so you don't go overboard
its easy to go overboard at first so have extra flour on hand

one trick is to add as little flour as possible after its been kneaded, most of the time i dont add any. if you do it right the dough wont stick to the board, or your tools. if you keep having to add flour when rolling it to keep it from sticking, youll end up with more of a doughy bread texture rather than firm pasta. so next time try a little drier dough.

hey annaba dont mean to be a stick in the mud but -- you can make pasta with whatever kinda flour one desires

the first thing i will mention is that the egg pasta you are making originates from the Emilia Romagna region of northern Italy

you are currently using a medium fine ground 12.7% bread high protein flour -- this all boils down to the silkiness and the tender bite one wants to achieve in the egg pasta

having a nice chewy piece of pasta or having a toothy silky melt in your mouth pasta is created from the different types of flours one can use

in Emilia Romagna Italy it’s called farina di grano tenero, which means tender or soft flour

do you have to use the authentic type of flour -- of course not -- do you want something that is al dente to the tooth and silky and crates a wonderful mouth feel better than other flours -- it is all up to you my friend

the photos below are of two easy to obtain flours at all good ethnic italian grocery stores -- 3 or 4 bucks a kilo -- the barilla is the favorite by most -- the third photo i just took of my box of king arthur pastry flour -- most good grocery stores carry its unbleached -- 4 bucks for a kilo

For myself i use a blend of about 25% king arthur all purpose flour or bread flour adjust accordingly and 75% king arthur unbleached pastry flour which is ultra fine ground to the italian 00 equivalent grind -- you can adjust flour ratios according to the shape of egg pasta you make -- this puts me in a almost super fine grind at about 10.2 % protein -- remember the egg is your real protein element here so raising your flour up a couple of percent and having a medium fine grind can really change the potential silky qualities

the second video below he uses all purpose flour -- in the first video jamie oliver he uses the 00 barilla which would be the authentic way -- in my opinion 12.7% bread flour medium fine grind is too dense and glutony for egg pasta -- but it really does not matter to most folks -- if you never had it or made it that way you will never miss it -- hehe

its all good annaba -- your water issues and maybe lack of 7 minute kneading you can use a food processor too buddy -- every egg is a little different and play it by eye or ear -- the gummy thickness to me is a little on technique and also your flour i may be wrong buddy --- hehehe

if you could get your 12.7 percent bread flour ground down to a 00 ultra fine grind that would make for a whole new thread yee haw -- take care and have a good day annaba

[YOUTUBE]C0XVDpPBHho[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]y8wgXoPDnXQ[/YOUTUBE]

Attachments

• Barilla_farina_00.jpg
    Barilla_farina_00.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1
  • caputo_soft_wheat_flour.jpg
    caputo_soft_wheat_flour.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1
  • $RKTK9S5.jpg
    $RKTK9S5.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 1
lol those look like cheese logs. or like they would have went well in some chicken noodle soup.

if those were too firm, you now know you need something in the middle. i would have also rolled it a lot thinner, which would have helped. the thinner the better actually, but that takes practice. even if you have to cut the piece and do it in two pieces or three.

take note how thin the pasta is in post #58, when rolled out it should almost feel like leather. very very smooth leather.

Now that I look at em like that, they are kinda embarrassinly thick.

Thanks guys.

I'll make em thinner next time...see how dat works out.

lol no worries, thats whats great about making foods yourself. if a restaurant gave you that you would give hell, but since its you, its just a big laugh. an eatable one.

heres what i made for dinner last night, some wide noodles and meat sauce, along with some olives, topped with some extra tasty black rind Parmesan.

picture.php

annaba here shows a lady rollin out pasta real thin l-- these types of folks most use low protein flours in the 8 to 10 percent protein range -- all purpose flour in italy is a lot different than what is all purpose in usa -- average all purpose in the states is at 11.5% and ground not as fine --- whole wheat pastry flour by arrowhead mills you can fine sift it -- help get rid of some flakes in the flour -- its low protein @9.5% soft wheat instead of hard wheat,, if you want whole wheat style --

[YOUTUBE]2HLTQBAi5ow[/YOUTUBE]

heres a different concept with sublime melt in your mouth results

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/02/seven-yolk-pasta-dough/

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pasta-Dough-for-Agnolotti-105858

http://www.athoughtforfood.net/2010/10/recipe-seven-yolk-pasta-dough/

Seven-Yolk Pasta Dough and Sweet Potato Agnolotti with Brown-Butter Sauce and Prosciutto di Parma

Seven-Yolk Pasta Dough
from Thomas Kellers French Laundry Cookbook
Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups (8 ounces) all-purpose flour
6 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon milk

Directions:

Mound flour on a board or in a bowl and create a well in the center, pushing the flour to all sides to make a ring with sides about 1-inch wide. Make sure that the well is wide enough to hold all the eggs without spilling.
Pour the egg yolks, egg, oil and milk into the well. Use your fingers to break the eggs up. Still using your fingers, begin turning the eggs in a circular motion, keeping them within the well and not allowing them to spill over the sides. This circular motion allows the eggs to gradually pull in flour from the sides of the well; it is important that the flour not be incorporated too rapidly, or dough will be lumpy. Keep moving the eggs while slowly incorporating the flour. Occasionally push the flour toward the eggs; the flour should be moved only enough to maintain the gradual incorporation of the flour, and the eggs should continue to be contained within the well. The mixture will thicken and eventually get too tight to keep turning with your fingers.
When the dough begins thickening and starts lifting itself from the board, begin incorporating the remaining flour by lifting the flour up and over the dough that’s beginning to form and cutting it into the dough. When the remaining flour from the sides of the well has been cut into the dough, the dough will still look shaggy. Bring the dough together with the palms of your hands and form it into a ball. It will look flaky but will hold together.
Knead the dough by pressing it, bit by bit, in a forward motion with the heels of your hands rather than folding it over on itself as you would with a bread dough. Re-form the dough into a ball and repeat the process several times. The dough should feel moist but not sticky. Let the dough rest for a few minutes while you clean the work surface.
Dust the clean work surface with a little flour. Knead the dough by pushing against it in a forward motion with the heels of your hands. Form the dough into a ball again and knead it again. Keep kneading in this forward motion until the dough becomes silky smooth. The dough is ready when you can pull your finger through it and the dough wants to snap back into place. The kneading process can take from 10 to 15 minutes.
Even if you think you are finished kneading, knead it for an extra 10 minutes; you cannot overknead this dough. It is important to work the dough long enough to pass the pull test; otherwise, when it rests, it will collapse.
Double-wrap the dough in plastic wrap to ensure that it does not dry out. Let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour before rolling it through a pasta machine. The dough can be made a day ahead, wrapped and refrigerated; bring to room temperature before proceeding.

Use 1/2 recipe pasta dough, divided into two or three pieces. Run the dough through a pasta machine as for ravioli, but make the sheets wider. The size will vary according to the pasta machine used, but the sheets should be at least five inches wide. It is important that your pasta sheet be thin enough so that you can see your fingers through it, but not so thin that it's translucent. Keep the pasta sheets covered, as they dry out quicklyand proceed with filling the agnolotti.

To fill agnolotti:
If you are planning on using the agnolotti immediately, have a large pot of lightly salted boiling water ready. Work with one sheet of pasta at a time, keeping the remaining sheets covered. Work quickly, as fresh pasta will dry out.

Lay the pasta sheet on a lightly floured surface with a long side facing you. Trim the edges so they are straight. Place the agnolotti filling in a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip. Pipe a "tube" of filling across the bottom of the pasta sheet, leaving a 3/4-inch border of pasta along the left, right and bottom edges.

Pull the bottom edge of the pasta up and over the filling. Seal the agnolotti by carefully molding the pasta over the filling and pressing lightly with your index finger to seal the edge of the dough to the pasta sheet; don't drag your finger along the dough to seal, or you risk ripping the dough. When it is sealed, there should be about 1/2 inch of excess dough visible along the tube of filling (where you sealed it). Be certain that you are sealing tightly while pressing out any pockets of air. Seal the left and right ends of the dough.

To shape agnolotti:
Starting at one end, place the thumb and forefinger of each hand together as if you were going to pinch something and, leaving about 1 inch of space between your hands and holding your fingers vertically, pinch the filling in 1-inch increments, making about 3/4 inch of "pinched" are between each pocket of filling. It is important to leave this much "pinched" area between the agnolotti, or when the agnolotti are separated, they may come unsealed.

Run a crimped pastry wheel along the top edge of the folded-over dough, separating the strip of filled pockets from the remainder of the pasta sheet. Don't cut too close to the filling, or you risk breaking the seal. Separate the individual agnolotti by cutting the center of each pinched area, rolling the pastry wheel away from you. Working quickly, place the agnolotti on a baking sheet dusted with a thin layer of cornmeal, which will help prevent sticking. Don't let the agnolotti touch each other, or they may stick together.

Repeat the same procedure on the remainder of your pasta sheets. Either cook the agnolotti immediately in the boiling water, or place the baking sheet in the freezer. Once the agnolotti are frozen, place them in airtight freezer bags and keep them frozen for up to several weeks. Cook the agnolotti while still frozen.

Sweet Potato Agnolotti {extra thin delicate Ravioli} with Sage Cream, Brown Butter, and Prosciutto
from Thomas Kellers French Laundry Cookbook
Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes
8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter
2 slices bacon, frozen and cut into 1/4-inch dice
Pinch of allspice and nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the Sage Cream:

1/3 cup sage leaves (from about 4 bunches; use the smaller leaves for the fried sage leaf garnish)
1 cup creme fraiche
1cup Beurre Monte

To finish:

Ghee or oil for deep-frying
48 tiny sage leaves (reserved from above)
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter
4 thin slices of prosciutto, cut crosswise into fine julienne

To make the Beurre Monte:

Thomas Keller describes Beurre Monte sauce as a workhorse sauce and many of his recipes include it. Whether you emulsify 4 tablespoons or 1 pound of butter, just a tablespoon of water will do. Any amount of Beurre Monte can be made using the following method.

Bring the tablespoon of water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and begin whisking the chunks of butter into the water, bit by bit, to emulsify. Once you have established the emulsion, you can continue to add pieces of butter until you have the quantity of beurre monte that you need (1 cup). It is important to keep the level of heat gentle and consistent in order to maintain the emulsification. Make Beurre Monte close to the time it will be used and keep it in a warm place.

To make the Sweet Potato filling:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the ends off the potatoes and wrap the potatoes individually in aluminum foil, dividing 4 tablespoons of butter evenly among them. Bake until they are soft, 1 to 2 hours (the time will vary, depending on the size of the potatoes). Unwrap the cooked potatoes and cut a slit lengthwise in the skin of each. Pull the skin away from the potato and discard. Push the potatoes through a potato ricer while they are hot and place in a saucepan.

Place the diced bacon in a skillet. Cook until it is lightly browned and the fat has been rendered. Transfer the bacon pieces to paper towels to drain briefly, then add them to the potatoes.

Stir the potatoes over low heat, seasoning to taste with the squab spice and salt and pepper. Mix in the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. You will have about 1 2/3 cups filling (enough to fill 35 – 40 ravioli). Refrigerate the filling until chilled, or for up to 2 days, before filling the ravioli.

To make the pasta:

Make fresh pasta. Divide the pasta dough into three pieces. Set the rollers of the pasta machine at the widest setting. Take one third of the finished pasta dough, almost 5 ounces, and cut it in half. Run the dough through the pasta machine. Fold the dough in half, end to end, turn it a quarter turn, and run it through the same setting again. Repeat this procedure two more times. Set the openings of the rollers down one notch and run the pasta through. Decrease the opening another notch and run the dough through again. Continue this process until the second to last setting. Repeat with the remaining 5 sections of pasta dough.

Dust a wooden work surface with flour. I use a large ravioli press to make my ravioli. If you don’t have a press follow these instructions. Place a sheet of pasta dough on a lightly floured surface. Brush the surface of the dough with egg wash. Mark (don’t cut) 12 circles in the dough with the dull side of a 2-inch round cutter, leaving at least 1/2 inch between them. Center 1 tablespoon of the sweet potato filling in a mound on each circle. Line up one end of a second sheet of dough along one end of the dough and carefully drape the pasta sheet over the filling, pressing down between the mounds of filling. Run you fingers around each mound of the filling to press out any air bubbles. Using a 2 1/4 – inch round cutter, cut out the 12 ravioli. Using a fork, carefully press the edges of the rounds together to secure the filling inside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, lightly dust it with flour, and place the finished ravioli on it. Repeat this process with the remaining pasta sheets. If the ravioli are to be used within a few hours cover the baking sheet lightly and refrigerate.

To make the sage cream:

Blanch the 1/3 cup of sage leaves in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain, cool in cold water, and drain again. Squeeze the leaves dry. Heat the creme fraiche, beurre monte, and salt over low heat until hot; do not boil. Place the sage in a blender to chop it. With the motor running, pour the hot cream mixture through the top of the blender and blend thoroughly. Strain the cream into a large skillet, season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.

To complete:

In a small sauce pan, heat oil for deep-frying to 275 degrees. Fry the sage leaves briefly, just until they are crisp (their color should not change), and drain on paper towels. Place the butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook to a nutty brown color; reduce the heat and keep warm.

Meanwhile cook the ravioli in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the cooked ravioli and mix them gently with the sage cream. Divide the ravioli among 6 serving dishes and drizzle with browned butter. Scatter some prosciutto over each serving and garnish with the fried sage leaves.

http://baileysbarkery.wordpress.com...-with-sage-cream-brown-butter-and-prosciutto/

http://flinbk.blogspot.com/2010/01/chestnut-agnolotti-with-sage-cream.html

Attachments

• 5548391792_a85a05b720.jpg
    5548391792_a85a05b720.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
from this
picture.php

to this
picture.php

to this
picture.php

to these
picture.php

filled with artichoke hearts, pine nuts, garlic and shallot. i made a few hundred for the freezer, and later pasta in minutes.

annaba, note how thin they are rolled. id do the same for any pasta like spaghetti, linguini, fettuccine, etc. and even if i was going to make penne or garganelli.

Back