The pasta thread

as opposed to the italian grandmothers week of tomatoes cooking on the stove.

mmmmmmm just thinking about it makes me hungry. my friends mom used to make sauce this way. i think it cooked for 3-4 days.

hi y'all;

annaba to extract the flavor, you need to put the chile in the initial cooking stage w/the onions. chile is fat soluble(like mj) & will distribute the flavor when added to the watery phase of the process. if ya want to use the fresh tomatoes, you have to process them to the point of the canned stuff to get the same consistency. then use them as an ingredient.

the trick to all of this is to use a technique/recipe that is appropriate to the desired finished product. a bolognase isn't interchangeable w/a pomo'd'oro. sauce for spaghetti isn't the same as sauce for penne. a perfect lasagna sauce isn't appropriate for vitello parmesana. pizza sauce isn't for baked zitti.
you can use "prego" for everything, but that doesn't make it appropriate.(or worth eating). having a variety of basic tomatoes will help you get what you want in a sauce . most people grow a "beefsteak" variety of tomato & use it for everything, cause that's what they saw in the store growing up(selection has improved immensely in the us in the last 20 yrs). if you grow your own(why are you here if ya don't,lol); a different variety should be used for : sun dried, smoked, whole blanched, chopped, roasted, puree, juice, etc. by having a varied base you can easily produce most finished recipes easily.

1 of the biggest probs i have w/"traditional italian american" recipes, is they are not traditional, & many aren't "italian". much of the red sauce based "italian" food is truly sicillian - though some is neopolitan. much of the tradition is based on poor memory of food ideas brought home after ww2, utilizing available foodstuffs. many immigrants changed their recipes, because they couldn't find their ingredients in the us. after 2 or 3 generations, the "new" recipe becomes a family tradition & the original fades.

i also am highly amused by those "traditionalists" who can't understand that neither tomato nor hot pepper(chile) are traditional foods of italy. NONE of these recipes existed before the mid 18thc.

the biggest advice i can give ya is to : eat what ya like!
A

great post baron

i also am highly amused by those "traditionalists" who can't understand that neither tomato nor hot pepper(chile) are traditional foods of italy. NONE of these recipes existed before the mid 18thc.

and why people think the potato came from Europe too.

So how do you folks make tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes?

well like said it depends on what you want it for. but lets just say I want a quick simple tomato pasta sauce right now no fuss. this is how I do it.

bring water to a boil, blanch tomatoes, peels skins.( or use tomatoes you blanched earlier and froze or canned)
cut tomatoes in half toss into salad spinner, spin to remove seeds from seedy varieties.( optional )
heat some oil in a pan ( i use a small cast iron dutch oven )
add chopped shallots, cook until aromatic
add chopped garlic, cook until aromatic
add crushed chili, cook until aromatic
add other chopped garden veggies or herbs ( optional )
turn up the heat and get it hot
dump tomato halves in there so they sizzle at first
mash with potato masher to desired consistency
start additional pot of water for pasta
turn down, cover and simmer until water is boiled and pasta is cooked (20 mins or so )
add pasta to sauce
top with whatever
enjoy.

like said though, there are endless ways to do it. sometimes i just make a fresh sauce that i dont even cook. equally delicious in a different way.

Perhaps this is the step I have been missin, an why I feel I have to cook em so long. I attempt to cook em to the consistency I'm after, instead of physically or mechanically alterin em.

I'll try that next round an see how that goes.

well i see nothing wrong with that way, in fact in the long run i think its better somehow if you have time. but i want my sauce to be done when my pasta is done. im a hungry stoner lol, i want my food asap if possible.

But I'm never gonna get any better ifn I don't keep tryin.

my first batch of pasta was so horrible i threw it away. i didn't look for a recipe just went for it. FAIL. but if i stopped i wouldn't be eating the goodness im making and eat now.

tonight i made some whole wheat orecchiette, with sage butter, ricotta, and pancetta

heres a video showing how to make orecchiette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOSxrF2GsA&feature=related

and heres a faster way that i came up with. roll the snakes and line them up horizontal to you. about an inch apart. once you have them all rolled out take a pizza cutter wheel or a big knife. start on one end and cut(about the same width as they are thick) the snakes into little pillows, once you have a board of pillows you can begin making the orecchiette. this might be a little hard to explain so i will follow with pictures next time i make it (the next few days most likely)

gather about 10-20 pillows in your left hand. cup your fingers and keep most of them there, dont overfill your hand. you want to keep your palm area open. with the right hand pull one of the pillows to the open palm. with the middle finger, poke the pillow down and pull to you to make the orecchiette, you can use the thumb to then help throw it to the side in a pile. once you get the rhythm you should be able to make 1-4 a second. lightly dust with flour and loosen the pile to coat evenly and prevent sticking. toss into water and cook until al dente :chef:

some more pasta for everyone. not sure what its called but it was good smothered in a homemade tomato/meat sauce.

to start make your dough as normal

let it rest well so its easy to roll

cut small pieces a little bigger than a golf ball. so things dont dry out if you did it all at once.

once rolled cut it into squares like so, you will need a gnocchi board and something tubular ( i used a oak branch i smoothed out.)
picture.php

next take a square and wrap it around the mini roller.
picture.php

picture.php

next put the seam down on the gnocchi board and press down to seal. you are now going to want to roll the mini roller either towards or away from you. do not push and drag like the other pastas. this will roll out the tube pasta thinner and it will open the inside more for more sauce to get trapped. it may take a few times to perfect but its really simple.

you will end up with this
picture.php

picture.php

I just about crapped in my pants Jay..friggin awesome job..:adore:
how can one go wrong with cream, shallots and prosciutto with that beautiful pasta..
I'm making some homemade pancetta next week..my first try..it's been hard finding pork belly but think I found a source..I'll be posting on the meats tread

I just about crapped in my pants Jay..friggin awesome job..
how can one go wrong with cream, shallots and prosciutto with that beautiful pasta..

it was so good i almost don't want to crap it out lol.

I'm making some homemade pancetta next week..my first try..it's been hard finding pork belly but think I found a source..I'll be posting on the meats tread

i know wtf! you would think it would be easy to find a pork belly, but no. i had to go to the local butchering company eventually. i went to every grocery store here and in neighboring towns. no pork belly or sausage casings. luckily though the butchering company can set aside all of the locally raised products/byproducts for me, which ends up being better in the long run.

the funny thing is some of the "butchers" at the grocery stores didnt even know what a pork belly was, i had to explain how i wanted to make my own bacon until they understood. and then they just told me to go buy that crap bacon on the shelf. fuck that! the crazy part is they wouldnt even order it for me when i asked. dont you want my money? you are a business right? lol

i might be making sausage in the next few days, ill have to bump the meat thread if i do.

today i made homemade ravioli

the filling was butternut squash, wild pear, asiago cheese.

smothered in brown butter and sage.

mmmmm mmmmm good

from some site.

While your pasta cooks, melt butter in a 12 to 14-inch saute pan and continue cooking until golden brown color ("noisette") appears in the thinnest liquid of the butter. Add sage leaves and remove from heat. Add lemon juice and set aside. Drain the pasta, but leaving some cooking water, and gently pour into saute pan and return to heat. Add the cheese, toss to coat and serve immediately.

i add the sage a little before the brown part so it soaks more flavor.

What's brown butter?

annaba put some butter try just 4 tbls -- put in a small 2 to 3 cup or so stainless steel pan

turn on the heat at medium low for a few minutes then lower the temp watch the butter begin to bubble and lose some of the water boil away after a few minutes it will begin to seperate and the solids will be seperate from the oil the color will start to carmelize and then start turning darker do not burn

i strain and remove the solids the end result will be a nuttier tasting oil

i have noticed using cultured organic butter produces much more flavor from the culture starter added --than lets say land o lakes it also has superior flavor and mouth feel with out browning and much less water in it -- but try it first with cheap butter -- some folks do not seperate and use the solids too remember theres a fine line between burnt ruined and browned

i keep the browned butter ghee in the fridge for making cookies and baked goods

take care

ahh, butter..so good..
France has the best..non pasteurized from happy cows..some of my happiest moments in life has been waking up from my hotel room in the morning and strolling down to a local cafe in Paris for fresh bread and butter..
unfortunately our government regulators deem that all our dairy must be pasteurized and processed..I've found butter here imported from France but in order to export it they have to pasteurize it and they send us stupid Americans the butter that the French won't eat..why?? because we don't know any better..
I can't even buy fresh milk from a farm here because it's illegal..:rant:

Back