The Canna Cabana history…

The Canna Cabana

Tiki God
Staff member
Feb 27/2006: The day 1000's of cannabis growers around the world shut down their grows.

It’s a day that is engrained in tens of thousands of cannabis grower's minds forever. That was the day that heavenstairway.com, cannabisworld.com, Cbay.com, Eurohemp.com, and overgrow. com domains were seized by the Canadian RCMP.

At that time, Heaven’s Stairway was run by RC, and was one of the three main seed banks running out of Canada at that time. The other two being Marc Emery, and Prairie Fire Seeds (referman).

Marc Emery had already been busted the year before and was in the process of being extradited to the US for prosecution for distributing seeds across the border. Prairie Fire saw the light and he shut down almost immediately after Emery was popped. After that, this left RC and Heaven’s Stairway as low hanging fruit in Canada.

Between all of the website's RC was running, there were well over 200k+ members, which at that time was a massive membership base.
These websites soon became the gathering place of all things cannabis growing related. People were sharing massive amounts of grow/tech knowledge, people shared genetics freely. It was a fun time.

Growers all over the world relied on Heaven’s Stairway for their cannabis seeds. At the time of the raid, law-enforcement estimates reported sales in excess of $30,000/day (USD). That’s a huge number today, but was a totally massive revenue stream in 2006.

IMG_1159.jpeg

IMG_1157.jpeg

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1156.jpeg

Feb/27/2006: WTF?! The whole online cannabis world is freaking out because all of the websites are down. “What about my HS order that I just placed?!” “Fuk, I just sent 5000 seeds in for poppy to sort for the Cbay seed auction!” "What about all of my cannabis content on the OG/CW servers?!"

People were legitimately freaking out, and for good reason. Law-enforcement was not kind to us, cannabis growers back then. Some places, especially in the US, could get you serious prison time for just growing a couple of plants, or even having some seeds.

Where did we go to find out info about the raids in the days and weeks after? myPlanetGanja.com. Gadabout opened the doors for huge wave of refugees from OG, CW…etc. Rumors were abundant. Some of the old Mods from overgrow were giving out little snippets of information they had, but for the most part, they, and the rest of the world were in the dark.

Life at MyPlanetGanja.com was different. It had great grow forums, and for the most part members accepted the new influx of refugees. It could be boisterous, it could be loud, and it could be very rowdy. After a few months, a lot of folks fit right in without issue, but many more didn’t. We needed an alternative, something a little less intense.

Mid 2006: @Skitty to the rescue!

Skitty had a small, and very private website at the time…the infamous Raccoon Lodge! It was at the RCL that The Canna Cabana idea was born. Luckily, TRL already had some OG/CW Moderators as current members, so we knew we had great Mod Staff experience to get the ball rolling.

Skitty set up a private forum at TRL, and we started assembling a great team of individuals that would bring the new TCC website to fruition. So, we put our heads together and got to work.

There were things about OG/CW that we wanted to change for TCC. First and foremost, no politics. Politics was/is always a flashpoint and does not mix well with cannabis. No political discussions would be allowed.

Firearms was another thing that we made taboo at TCC. Again, law enforcement was already coming down hard on cannabis growers, add a couple of firearms, and you were likely looking at decades of Fed prison time. We just thought firearms wasn’t a good fit.

We would also keep Moderators true identities hidden from the public, as to avoid any conflicts of interests. Conflicts were prevalent with some Mods at OG/CW, and we wanted to prevent any that from the get-go.

After roughly 5 months of planning at RCL, thecannacabana.com went live as a private website on Dec 2nd/2006. The website was set up as a Sponsorship member access only. If you were vetted by a current member, they could sponsor you in. This is how TCC operated until a few months ago.

Fast-forward 17 years:

For the last several years, TCC has been reliant on membership donations to keep the lights on. After 17 years online, a lot of our original members have sadly passed on, or as happens in life, moved onto other things. Something had to be done, or TCC was destined for a flash drive, a desk drawer. and gone forever.

2023 @CurbsideServ to the rescue: “If we build it, they will come!”

Times have drastically changed in the cannabis scene since 2006. TCC needed to be updated to today’s Internet experience, and standards. That’s exactly what @CurbsideServ has done.

Keep in mind, even though the doors are open, TCC is still a work in progress. Many, many more cool features are coming to make your Cannabis growing an even more epic experience than it already is.

One final word on the Founding Father’s of TCC, all of whom were an integral part to its original inception. It was a privilege to be involved in bringing something so special to life with you. Thank-you one and all!

Bucky and Mugg’s: :(

You will be missed, but never forgotten old friends. It was an honor, and a privilege to know, and work with you both for so many years. Your contributions to TCC are still felt today and will live on. I know both of you badaases are blazing the finest herb in your field of eternal dreams.

The Canna Cabana Original Founding Fathers:

Skitty, Optimus Prime (Howstergrower), DMAN, Buckwheat (RIP), Oldsog, Muggles (RIP), Kendo

:skitty: :howster: :1: :bucky: :os: :muggles: Kendo

That’s the history of The Canna Cabana as this old head remembers it. I’m sure lots of folks have their own memories, so feel free to add those memories and experiences from the old OG/CW days to this thread.

Welcome aboard, and we hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Cheers…DMAN

Small correction...
Gadabout had planetganja.com...then some shit happened (I think Gad took his server and left), and the new site adopted myplanetganja.com as the new name. I'm pretty sure it's Haxie that owns it now. Only a handful of old OG/CW folks still remain there now. Most of the old planetganja members came to the Cabana long ago when Juice made a very distasteful comment to LilMa (RIP).

Nice read Dman. :)

And I would add that some Overgrow refugees went to ~shabang~s version of RCL, the 77. I hung out at the 77 for awhile, then when it rolled up I headed to RCL, and when IT closed its doors in 2011 I came here and knocked at the back door. So many migrations....

Anyone remember the mills pride c13 thread? (type of cabinet sold by Home Depot that fit a 400 watt hos just perfectly?)

Just one of the many small communities inside the old forums, wish I could have some of those pics back. Still remember shitting my pants when they all shut down, was about the time I moved and setup the smallest cabinet I ever grew in and held my breath until TCC and a couple of others came online with a good security policy.

People won’t get how stressful it was… do I create an account, do I post some pictures, do I chat with DMs, holy crap I’m opening and checking a post office box for seeds from a stranger. While I have a lot of gripes about the way the legal market has become, it’s so much better now.

Much love to all of those founders above :puffpuffpass:

Anyone remember the mills pride c13 thread? (type of cabinet sold by Home Depot that fit a 400 watt hos just perfectly?)

I sure do. It was started by Maliboo on OG. My first cab. Everything to build it came from Home Depot. The kit, the weather stripping, the calk and the hole saws. I regret retiring it ten years ago.

I sure do. It was started by Maliboo on OG. My first cab. Everything to build it came from Home Depot. The kit, the weather stripping, the calk and the hole saws. I regret retiring it ten years ago.

That setup was my first successful indoor growing (we did outdoor throwing plants here and there before that) and the amount of great smoke coming out of that cabinet was unreal to me at the time. Such a cool group of people as well. When seeds came “custom packed” in coin holders and yard signs 😂

man, I learned so much from that thread.
also NIMBYs Stealth Dresser and NewGanjaBoys stealth cabinet threads. I was growing guerilla outdoor and those threads are what convinced me to move to indoor growing. 20+ years later and still going strong

My favorite thread on Overgrow was the piss on your plants thread . Dr chronic hg420 never gets mentioned much. It was hopping for awhile . I would go to planet ganja n CW when it was a ghost town and only elite and i think mota would give great deals on beans for 40$ a crack in the chatbox. The everything x lemon thai days and iguana kush. Advanced Nutrients had a crazy forum of cash croppers.

a few members here started at a website called FreeCannabis and the Admin/Owner? was called Sunshine , who also sold seeds , like one really fast finisher called Hells Angel….not the HA kush plant..

this was like 15-17 ? years ago…

man oh man time flies

RockyMtnBuds , LORAN RIP , KreatnKaos , Saxby RIP , GUDSM , MrMojo RIP , and a few other old heads whose names i cannot recall right now …we were all over at FreeCannabis and most of us used HushMail lol.…

good times indeed

I'm glad for the ones that made it this far ,this long and still in good health for those pioneers that brought us together. To those fine folks who will miss this event...RIP Brothers and Sisters . To all that joins , enjoy the hard labor that went into all content and shared knowledge that made me the grower I'm am .

Thanks my canna family
@Panture77 for 8k of pics and vids

Last edited:
Back