Shov's Garden 2021

Shovelhandle

Small vegetable garden with corn beans squash and tomatoes and ten cannabis plants. Garden has not been tilled the past two seasons. It was prepared with Coast of Maine Stonington Blend and dehydrated/composted chicken manure and household compost.

Photoperiod plants; (2) Blueberry Cheese from Barney's Farm, (1) Afghan Kush x Black Domina and (1) CBD Critical Mass+ are to be transplanted out of the cups into 1 gal bags of Stonington Mix in the next few days.
outdoor.jpg
One basil into the garden someplace and one into a large planter on the deck.

Autoflowering plants; (3) CBD Charlotte's Angel from Dutch Passion. And (3) THC - Alien US Triangle, Double Grape and Skywalker, all from Mephisto Seeds. These will go into solo cups next week. Then these outdoor seedlings will be hardening off under plastic next to the garden for a couple of weeks before going in the garden.

Last edited:
5-17-2021

Almost three weeks from seed under cover outdoors. Four photoperiod.

100_0208.jpg 100_0206.jpg

Four days from seed meets soil. These are three cbd and three thc, all autos.

100_0204.jpg

Looking nice, healthy n happy bro... should be fine in the bags for a bit eh? Think about adding some Mint to your outdoor area... pests seem to dislike it and keeps them away..

rock on man

Planted the bags yesterday, Cartman.
We had mint and bee balm in the herb garden, not in the veg garden. Mint is too invasive for the vegetable garden. Maybe get mint in the herb garden again, I dunno. We hardly harvest or use any herbs other than oregano. :) All kinds of basil each year as Mrs likes the smell, hardly ever eat it. Maybe some slivers on tomato. Marigolds are common to plant with tomato to keep insect pests away. Rodents and birds don't care though. I see very few insect problems except potato beetles (they like eggplant too). So I don't grow those. Late in the season aphids, pretty harmless by then though. They eat on old squash leaves. Hose them off. Corn borers are bad for corn and pot. They climb so if you can keep them getting up the stalk with tape of grease they can't bore.

Been wicked nice, sunny, hot. Like around 90º. Photos of the fresh planted garden. Have a pissa weekend.

Weed the 'collars' are cut solo cup with variety marked on it

cannabis.jpg

Garden - plant bottom right was dehydrated yesterday at planting so resting in the shade today.

garden.jpg

3 pot 3 hemp auto seedlings - 8 days.

seedlings.jpg

All the six autos in 'cups' were planted Monday. Two pot in the garden and the last pot and three cbd in the weed field. It has been dry so I prep by digging out a serious hole, water the soil and backfill, plant and water it in. They are all looking great but everything will get a good watering this evening as the tomatoes were wilting today (88 and windy). So they got a drink in the soil for now. The beans and squash seed were sprouted, planted and watered in today.

The photoperiod varieties, Afghan Kush x Black Domina, CBD Critical Mass+ and the autos, Alien US Triangle, Double Grape and Skywalker, (all from Mephisto Seeds) were gifts from Burnie. I am thankful to have this opportunity and I hope it all grows up to it's potential. The indoor I'll be starting very soon will also have a couple more from Burnie. I offer this effort to his spirit in the land of everlasting happyness. :happydance:

Been wicked nice, sunny, hot. Like around 90º. Photos of the fresh planted garden. Have a pissa weekend.

Weed the 'collars' are cut solo cup with variety marked on it

View attachment 345194

Garden - plant bottom right was dehydrated yesterday at planting so resting in the shade today.

View attachment 345195

3 pot 3 hemp auto seedlings - 8 days.

View attachment 345196

Now that is a backyard! I’m getting more of a itch for something like that every year. Looking forward to how the girls get going!

Now that is a backyard! I’m getting more of a itch for something like that every year. Looking forward to how the girls get going!

yut, nice and private but right on the state road. When the corn is gone we stick out like a sore pecker. But once the corn gets up, and it is quick, we're boxed in like a turtle's pecker. Yut, many old saws about peckers here, for some reason.

yut, nice and private but right on the state road. When the corn is gone we stick out like a sore pecker. But once the corn gets up, and it is quick, we're boxed in like a turtle's pecker. Yut, many old saws about peckers here, for some reason.
It’s a shame the corn doesn’t growyear round! That’s the feel of summer though! ;)

Garden is sick.
There was a couple of cold nights back last week. 35º, some tomatoes showed burning but others and the cannabis were fine. Everything was doing well all week. No additional nutrients have been added to the soil. All the tomatoes show rust and wilted leaves. New pot leaves are pale and yellow/brown starting at the petiole and spreading down the leaf. It seems like a virus and it looks bad.
Corn are up but with more clouds that sun this week they are slow. Beans and Squash are sprouted.

It really looked like a frost as it seemed to occurred all at once. I hadn't been down to the garden in a couple of days as it had rained off and on. Low temperatures in the town were above 50º every night.
As it came on the first time the ground got good and wet since planting maybe the roots spread out of the planting soil and into the garden soil and rain made the nutrients more available. I never used chicken manure like that before. Chicken shit is super hot until it's well composted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the Marigolds, never heard that afore.. sounds like your up on your bugs, have to be outdoors huh?

I just love your choice of Auto's ... something keeps telling me to run Auto Fem's in my smaller tent... miss that harvesting every 70 days.

Looking good bro...

well. three times I try to message and lost the whole shebang. Seems my alt numbers don't work. I tried to type sq ft in symbols and it closed the page, opened a new page, damn it.

Garden is in awful shape, nute burn. 40# chicken composted/dehydrated and 5# of organic amendments for 600 sq ft. Not very much at all. It been in the garden for weeks before planting, being cultivated and raked in it was weeded. Plants have been in for two weeks and were fine. It had been pretty dry up until this week, a couple of rainy days. And now the cannabis does not look like it can come back, all new growth tips burned. Tomatoes almost as bad, see if there's any new . Squash sprouts are fucked. The corn and beans are unbothered. If the pot croaks I may start some afghani seed from an old friend in Boston, he's worked this for a few years and is pretty stoked for me to try them. I'll dig out holes and fill with bag soil.

Reactions: 180
So here we are recovering from a nutrient shock, it seems most likely to be. Everything but one or two tomatoes are showing fresh growth. It's very dry (did not get much precip from the last few weathers, 180) But I water to make sure the plants don't wilt. I have a few regular seeds of afghani a friend in Ma. has worked with, he's very proud of it. I'll plant them near the autos so when they get harvested these will have the room.

One of the better tomatoes
100_0277.jpg

One of the bad tomatoes
100_0280.jpg

A mound for three sisters
100_0282.jpg

Sick pot
100_0283.jpg 100_0286.jpg

100_0289.jpg

the plot with four young autos, three cbd and one other was hit by an herbivore. Ate the last two hemp, one each the last two nights. The other two plants have an uphill battle. They are not thriving after a couple weeks and they are autos, so best result would be a stunted auto. The other two autos in the garden are fairing worse from the nute burn and are hopeless, even if they live. The four photo-period plants were all burned to hell, fan leaves and all new growth nuked. They are all doing great. The new growth look like green blossoms of leaves. They have until mid August to veg and late October to finish. So they got a very good shot. If the four afghani seed start I plan to grow them up in the garden in containers - cup - gallon and then see where the real estate is open.

Corn beans squash are coming well. Tomatoes were set back a lot but it's early yet. The 'eating' tomato plants are in decent shape and have started to bud and blossom. Roma tomatoes are from pretty bad to worse. Most should recover to fruit something. Overall, it's going to be a good garden.

We have a mild drought here. So maximum watering ain't happening. The lawn is something else. :) needs help. And the landscaping is put on hold. Maybe do some lawn work and shrubs in the fall.

The four photo-period plants are recovering and should be fine. The two autos in the garden are stunted to shit and will be dismissed from this log. The one remaining plant in the other plot appears to be a photo-period Skywalker, not an auto. It sits in the same spot Skywalker has grown in the past.

The four afghan seed I started from Boston are weak bastards, one didn't pop, one broke the dirt with a spike and no leaf and died. The remaining two are sickly little things. I've seen surprises from crap like this before but I'm not betting on it. And as they could be either sex their outlook is questionable.
Funny story on this. Old pal I had not seen in 40 years, we meet up at another friends house earlier this spring. He produces a fat joint of 'shake' from this afghani. ok...? Fucking stinking turd! Nasty smelly, it was stinking up the kitchen, I snubbed it out and threw it out the door. And that is all the weed he brought. He had these seeds for me he is so proud of. He's been growing these for xx # generations. I gave some seed to a gal who tries to grow pot. I'll see if she got anything out of them.

Why would someone bring a joint of "shake" to a party, unless they for sure didn't want to impress anyone there? lol

Back