Shovelhandle Garden 2023

Shovelhandle

I have a few sprouts in 1 gal bags to transplant into the garden whenever. In a week or two I'll sprout the autos.
Lineup; (3) Raskal OG x Lemon Diesel, (2) Afghani, (1) All Gas x Gelato fem, (1) London Pound Cake x Wedding Tree
They are in a precarious place, I hope the animals don't disturb them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5-25-2023.jpg
    5-25-2023.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 152
They are vulnerable to munching. Maybe put out a couple bars of smelly soap amongst them, to repel hungry deer, rabbits and whatnot.

Irish Spring, Coast, other soaps that really stink to high heaven. Just put a couple of bars of the stuff among the plants. You can even cut it up a bit for more even distribution. It definitely works to repel deer, not sure about all the other potential miscreants.

I've use cheap laundry soap powder to deter snakes and burrowing rats in the old shed. Cinnamon works good too but the bag of Walmart detergent was lots cheaper.
Plants are on the deck benches, so somewhat out of the way though coons nose around everywhere.
35º this am, I hope the plants are hearty for that, I know the basil hates it.

The plants above are planted in the garden now but one Afghan that never did anything. The other afghan is a twisted wreck but the last ever seed from my recently departed pal. NONE of the previous 40 or so seeds ever grew or if they did they were deformed and male.

These plants will probably never get past early September as I have to harvest when the adjacent corn field is cut. So I'll be starting some autos to grow in 3 gallon bags indoors/on the deck. (3) Forbidden Runtz and (1) Gorilla Cookies from Fastbuds.

Little veggie garden.

8am, just starting to come into the sunlight. Six weed plants in the foreground. Squash, tomatoes next and peppers in the back. Beans are coming up to climb the sunflowers. Behind the garden, lots of oregano.

Pot plants were holey from the bugs early on but once they start thriving the bugs can't keep up with the foliage.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-05-08-33-05-742.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-05-08-33-05-742.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 107
7-24-2023

Grown a bit in 19 days. Usually sex shows around mid August. I think they will be showing a little early. A lot of natural schedule seems to be getting a little early around here. The first two are feminized the others are regs.

attachment.php

(3) Raskal OG x Lemon Diesel, the middle three
(1) Afghani, rear center (1)
(1) All Gas x Gelato fem, front left
(1) London Pound Cake x Wedding Tree, front right

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-24-11-33-34-410.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-24-11-33-34-410.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 92
Looking good, Shov. Good job on the mulching. With the rainfall we've had, weeds would be a chore.

Looking good, Shov. Good job on the mulching. With the rainfall we've had, weeds would be a chore.

Thank you, 180.
Well I just pulled some weeds and more left for later. We have not had your rainfall but we're good. I watered this am as forecast is 'scattered t'storms through the next few days.
Lots of roma tomatoes on the vines. Top 100 cherry are just beginning, I had a handful. They blow up soon and it's crazy. One vine headed for the next cage. Last year the T100 migrated to two or three adjacent cages = invasive! Squash vines are all volunteers and there are a lot. Just seen a summer squash with fruit (volunteer). Sunflowers volunteer and a couple of tomatoes not in cages are mysterious origin. Peppers were runts from the nursery and never stretched, one is a 1" zero. But bell peppers are a take it or leave it for me.
IMG_2023-07-24-11-33-40-667.jpg

I started a few seeds of Cred Cheese x [ Raskal's OG x Lemon Diesel] to see if my soils and water were good. Nine for nine are looking good but I only had room for six. They are in (1) gallon bags on the deck. They should only veg a short while before they flower. I'll decided how to deal with these as time goes. Flowering females will likely go into (3) gal and finish in the hut.

Reactions: 180
Garden 8-7-2023

only plant showing yet is the front left All Gas x Gelato etc.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2023-08-07-16-59-36-666.jpg
    IMG_2023-08-07-16-59-36-666.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2023-08-07-17-02-00-032.jpg
    IMG_2023-08-07-17-02-00-032.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 76
We already got a compost tumbler, and mostly don't use it. What we need is a three-sided bin that we can fill, then turn with the bobcat. What i'm eyeing is the set of steps...could use that in three places around the house, at least.

Hardly anyone around here grows corn, was raised in corn country, so sort of miss that.

Lookin good!

Yut, two composters going there. The best features are the animals don't get into it and it keeps the odor down pretty well. Still more work than just turning the spit.

Back