Qwiso oil extraction

hmmm...I guess I caught the goo at the right time the very first run... it was a chocolately concoction, like finger hash. 2nd and 3rd run I think i let it dry too long and it ended up flaking and almost looks like clumps of screen kief. Granted I used 99ISO first run, Pure Acetone other times... I've heard that the Acetone produces a better flavor and aroma... I haven't smoked either, what are your thoughts?

I'm striving for the shatter... I agitate (shake and swirl) for about 15-30 seconds per run in a quart mason jar, then run through a 80 mesh and then 120 mesh paint strainers... looks like good product, but I want better... lol, how do I get better?

I've got a dozen cans of high quality butane but I'd rather not use them.... please help me perfect this craft of hash/extract making.

Also, how does one keep it in oil form?

Thanks for all the help pros:hands:

Loki, any tips or tricks? i love the color

Acetone does a good job and has a good flavor and aroma, but it is a known reproductive system toxin, so purging becomes more critical than with butane or ethanol. We don't use it for that reason.

It's slightly fruity odor threshold is about 62 ppm. The taste is sweet.

LD 50 Rat inhalation was 50,000 ppm and 5.8 gm/Kg.

Iso makes a nice QWISO extraction as well, but is less tasty to me than an Ethanol QWET, and of course also has to be carefully purged, because it is also a reproductive system toxin.

Odor threshold is 22 ppm (Sittig, 1991) 700 ppm for un-adapted panelists (Verschuren, 1983), and the smell is a mixture of alcohol and ketones. The taste of residual Iso is rather harsh, so its not hard to detect.

Acute toxicity of the vapor (LC50): 16000 8 hours [Rat].

Clearly neither are anything women of child bearing age, especially those pregnant, want to be exposed to, and both attack the liver and other organs in excess, so stringent purging protocols should be observed.

As far as maximizing yield and quality, both are polar enough to love chlorophyll, so extraction is best done frozen to tie up the chlorophyll and water solubles, and in separate successive washes, so that the later greener extractions, don't detract from the first couple.

I've had my best luck purging below levels of concern, while retaining the aromatic and tasty monoterpenes, using -29.5" Hg vacuum and 115F heat.

wow ok... so i guess i vac pump is going to be on my shopping list soon enough. Is the vac pump necessary for the "glass" appearance?

wow ok... so i guess i vac pump is going to be on my shopping list soon enough. Is the vac pump necessary for the "glass" appearance?

No, but it makes it a lot easier and faster.

My absolutes using vacuum aren't any bell clear stained glass purdier than the ones I did before, but more of them are aromatic bell clear shatter at room temperature.

Residual solvent can make it soft, as can partial decarboxylation from heating it hotter to purge the solvent without vacuum.

I use 115F under -29.5" Hg vacuum for 30/45 min, and 130/140F without vacuum overnight, to get about the same purging levels.

some great info Graywolf.............

thanks much ....

ganj on......

ahhh....ok

thanks! So heat is necessary... i currently only swirl, strain and dry...no vac or heat applied...

when you say overnight, are you meaning a couple hours or ?

When will I know the solvents are gone, and when i'm to the point of actually cooking off the thc?

ahhh....ok

thanks! So heat is necessary... i currently only swirl, strain and dry...no vac or heat applied...

when you say overnight, are you meaning a couple hours or ?

When will I know the solvents are gone, and when i'm to the point of actually cooking off the thc?

~6/8 hours without vacuum. 30/45 min with.

Watch the bubbles and use your nose and palate. The solvent bubbles are the large irregularly sized ones and the small fizzy ones are C02.

You can smell and taste the solvents, long after they are below levels of health concern..

~6/8 hours without vacuum. 30/45 min with.

Watch the bubbles and use your nose and palate. The solvent bubbles are the large irregularly sized ones and the small fizzy ones are C02.

You can smell and taste the solvents, long after they are below levels of health concern..

ok, thanks!

Now to buy some more Acetone!:g2:

No, but it makes it a lot easier and faster.

My absolutes using vacuum aren't any bell clear stained glass purdier than the ones I did before, but more of them are aromatic bell clear shatter at room temperature.

Residual solvent can make it soft, as can partial decarboxylation from heating it hotter to purge the solvent without vacuum.

I use 115F under -29.5" Hg vacuum for 30/45 min, and 130/140F without vacuum overnight, to get about the same purging levels.

Thanks for all the great info. My hash oil is greatly improved thanks to you. I always hated 91% iso oil but have been loving the oil made with 99% iso and evaporated with low heat (under 130).

Sometimes I get full shatter at room temps and sometimes it is only full shatter when frozen but more flexible at room temps.

Sometimes when smoking the oil it can make white sparks similar to sparklers or something. Is that just left over iso that has not been fully purged since I don't have a vacuum?
It doesn't smell like iso or taste like it but it sparks frequently.

My seedling heatmat gets to 110-120F is what I use for evaporating and all.

Last edited:
white sparks
= residual moisture content as well fats that have been pulled off the plant matter that haven't been filtered and purged completely.

110-120*f without a vac-chamber isn't going to do it imvho….try 130-140* over night or even for a whole day like GW mentioned above

Thanks for all the great info. My hash oil is greatly improved thanks to you. I always hated 91% iso oil but have been loving the oil made with 99% iso and evaporated with low heat (under 130).

Sometimes I get full shatter at room temps and sometimes it is only full shatter when frozen but more flexible at room temps.

Sometimes when smoking the oil it can make white sparks similar to sparklers or something. Is that just left over iso that has not been fully purged since I don't have a vacuum?
It doesn't smell like iso or taste like it but it sparks frequently.

My seedling heatmat gets to 110-120F is what I use for evaporating and all.

As HB notes, water is mostly responsible for the sizzle and pop and shooting sparklers are solids like wax.

Iso isn't as prone to pull waxes and fats as non polar solvents, but does pull some.

You might try freezing a sealed jar of the iso/oil mixture overnight at 0F for 48 hours and filtering it through a coffee filter or vacuum through a #1 Wattman lab filter before purging.

As for the water, 130/140F is what I use to purge without a vacuum and 115F at -29.5" Hg using vacuum.

Thanks again guys for helping. I filter the alcohol through a steel strainer and then two coffee filters before purging. I can get my pan up to 130F with a lid and bending the mat over the end of the pan. Ill try raising the temp and doing it longer. I do usually leave it overnight though. I will try putting it in the freezer as well.

Here are a bunch of random pics I've taken along the way as I have been perfecting the process. The color always comes out a variation of amber. Sometimes its light orange amber, sometimes its dark brown amber, and sometimes its purple red amber. The purple paki and its crosses so far have been the only ones to make purple amber. Seems when I make it using trim it comes out lighter orange and when I make it using buds it comes out darker brown.

They only sell the 75% everclear here so I have been working with the 99% iso. I tried the ever clear but wasn't as impressed with the results.

Attachments

• oil1.jpg
    oil1.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 2
  • oil10.jpg
    oil10.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2
  • oil9.jpg
    oil9.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 2
  • oil8.jpg
    oil8.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2
  • oil7.jpg
    oil7.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2
  • oil6.jpg
    oil6.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2
  • oil5.jpg
    oil5.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3
  • oil4.jpg
    oil4.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
  • oil3.jpg
    oil3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 2
  • oil2.jpg
    oil2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
wow..looks nice... i'm striving for the clearer hard stained glass look.... i plan to trying again soon.... i can get a vacuum at a decent, but then i'll need to get a container to vac IN lol... I may try the low heat first... will use my skillet as a double boiler...see what happens:dancer:

Nocturnal...how long did you wash with the ISO under 30 seconds?

How is the aroma, taste, and effects?

kazzy I did the wash for 30 secs or so. most of the time I Just count to thirty in my head but recently I have been using a real timer and it seems like me counting to thirty can take about 40 secs sometimes and closer to twenty others. so I would say 20-40 secs.

graywolf I would say it is better than 95% of the bho and all the iso oil I have smoked. It is real nice and potent. Sometimes they have a hint of good flavor from the strain but most of the time it just tastes kinda generic hashy. like the grand daddy purple oil tastes sweet with a hint of fruitiness whereas the bud is super fruity grape. The chocolate wreck oil though has little to no flavor other than hash. So it definitely seems to be strain dependent. Surprisingly the purple paki has made the best qwiso so far. It had the best flavor, potency, and color. I get super high from the oil but the actual type of high is not nearly as full as smoking herb if that makes sense. Like it is only picking up part of the high of the strain and making that part of the high real really strong. For example the dr. funkenstein is pure indica but the oil does not have as much body effect or as full of a high as smoking the herb. After smoking bho, bubble hash, and qwiso for 6 weeks without much herb I didn't think I would be able to get as high smoking just herb, but was pleasantly surprised that I could still get super high off just buds when I tried again, even if the smoke felt harsh and took some getting used to again.
I hope that made sense.
I love how smooth it is smoking the oil. Even going back to smoking bubble or dry sift it seems like chalkier smoking the powders instead of oil.
My favorite hash for flavor is definitely dry sift that's been through multiple screens. But smoking the oil is a lot smoother to smoke.

I also like that it is easier to do smaller batches. Like if you have a half oz of trim or buds that isn't nearly enough to make bubble worthwhile but oil can be done no problem.

A side note about flavor I was meaning to post.
Like a year ago I got some f13 bho oil that came from dj shorts crew supposedly. anyway the dude said it had been winterized in grape vodka and sure enough it tasted super grapey. So that gave me the idea of trying to add some flavored vodkas to get flavors to the oils.
(not sure if there would be anything health hazardous to adding these for flavoring or not).
I knew that the alcohol content in vodkas is 35-50% and this wasn't going to be high enough for extracting with but thought I could extract with everclear or iso and add just a little bit of vodka at the end it might help the flavor and not add lots of water.
I tried smirnoff grape (40% alcohol), smiirnoff pineapple twist (35% alcohol), absolute citron (40 %), and smirnoff rootbeer (50%). I was most excited about the pineapple flavor and that the rootbeer was 50%. Those two actually turned out the worst and I had the best luck with the smirnoff grape and absolute citron. The rootbeer made the oil smell and taste like burning sugar. The pineapple was slightly similar but not nearly as much and didn't add much flavor at all.
The grape adds a lot of flavor and the citron adds a little bit. When using it I only add like 2 drops of the vodka to 8-16 oz of iso/hash mix. If I add it after the coffee filters they add a bunch of flavor and if I add a drop or two to the last bit of iso before it goes through the coffee filters it adds more of a hint of the flavor.

One other thing I am doing differently is using the alcohol for two washes at a time. I was doing a full jar of trim/buds to 2 bottles of iso. I would get iso that was yellow but not super dark golden. So I figured I was not fully saturating the oil with enough hash since when I was making oil with low quality bubble hash it was coming out way darker. So instead of doing a jar of trim I split it into two half jars and just use one bottle of iso instead of two. So I put the one bottle of iso into the half filled jar and then strain like usual through the metal and coffee filters. After it is filtered I but it back into the freezer until it is 0 degrees or below and then use it on the other half jar that hasn't been run yet. This way seems to use half as much alcohol and then it also evaporates way quicker with less alcohol to evaporate.
When I try drying it out and doing a second run it has come out a lot greener so I stopped doing second runs and will probably just make the leftover trim into butter instead of making oil with it again.

Last edited:
kazzy I did the wash for 30 secs or so. most of the time I Just count to thirty in my head but recently I have been using a real timer and it seems like me counting to thirty can take about 40 secs sometimes and closer to twenty others. so I would say 20-40 secs.

I also like that it is easier to do smaller batches. Like if you have a half oz of trim or buds that isn't nearly enough to make bubble worthwhile but oil can be done no problem.

thanks for the answer that is wht I do as well........so you mention the smaller batches so what is your ratio of half ounce of bud to ISO?

so had some bad luck. almost burnt down the house two weeks before moving out. i think it's ironic that one of the reasons im making qwiso instead of bho is reduced risk of fire and all. So anyway i was evaporating off a batch of iso/oil on the counter using my heat mat like I have done a hundred times theses last two month. I checked it and saw all the liquid was gone and left it to go for a couple more hours. the temp gun read 127-135. I went into the growroom and was working transplanting and stuff. twenty minutes later my dog shows up to tell me the kitchen is on fire and smells nasty. so I go in the kitchen and see four inch flames coming off the heating pad. I guess the wiring got old or overloaded and then melted the plastic and caught fire. The plastic heat mat was bubbling and sticking to the pot but the oil was not on fire at all. Unfortunately the plastic pieces fell into the oil and fucked up the batch. luckily I just unplugged it from the wall and used a pot lid to put it out easily. Guess I am done using heating pads and will just evaporate with fans. Thank god for my dog. :jumpgreen: The counter has a nice burn mark on it now. Hopefully it doesn't look bad after it's painted. So much for a security deposit. Make sure all appliances are UL listed please.

Two sidenotes. I got some 95% everclear when my friend came from oregon and was able to make a bunch of oil using 99% iso and 95% everclear for comparison using the same material. I agree the ever clear is smoother and has a better flavor.

Also my new favorite method for making qwiso is with bubblehash instead of trim. Which I guess only works if you have a lot of trim to process instead of a little. I take the trim and make bubblehash with it. Then when its dry you can dissolve the bubble hash in alcohol, filter and evaporate like normal. This method requires tons less alcohol. Instead of needing gallons of alcohol to process lots of ozs I can just use a couple ounces. Also I think making the bubblehash first you can get a lot of the water solubles out like most of the chlorophyll so it wont be extracted by the alcohol as well. Also since it's hash and not plant material I can soak/mix the bubble hash in the alcohol longer without messing up the flavor. 30 secs I like going for trim but I can leave the bubble in there for 3 minutes and not mess up the flavor. If I did it for 5 minutes or longer it had a negative affect on the flavor.

Attachments

• melted-mat-1.jpg
    melted-mat-1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1
  • burnt-mat2.jpg
    burnt-mat2.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I like the idea of making bubble first the QWISO and would love to try using everclear but up here that product is a no go in the stores

Back