Qwiso oil extraction

Uh oh the monkey is out of the bag! welcome back to the darkside :)

i personally never saw a need to winterize the solvent with qwiso..if im not mistaken i think the iso doesnt break down waxes and what not like butane does..it instead solely strips the resin and chlorophyll.. thats why people use the iso to separate the waxes from bho..i may be wrong, which is often the case, so someone please correct me if so..but ive tried winterizing with ISO and there was nothing to filter out after 24 hours

Uh oh the monkey is out of the bag! welcome back to the darkside :)

i personally never saw a need to winterize the solvent with qwiso..if im not mistaken i think the iso doesnt break down waxes and what not like butane does..it instead solely strips the resin and chlorophyll.. thats why people use the iso to separate the waxes from bho..i may be wrong, which is often the case, so someone please correct me if so..but ive tried winterizing with ISO and there was nothing to filter out after 24 hours

Hi Don, what is your method ? Quick wash, filter then evaporate ? What type of vessel do you evaporate in ? And do you use those no-stick silicone pads ? I'm wanting to try the QWISO because I consider myself lucky I've never blown up my house when I ran butane. Plus I'm getting 4 gallons of the 99.6% for $130 delivered.

Figured I'd purge the finished product in my dehydrator like I used to do with my BHO.

i do a 10-15 second "swirl" , never shake..i also tried to use flowers, as trim has more chance to leech chlorophyll in the alcohol..but trim worked fine for me with a 15 second soak , with no agitation..but i was after quality not quantity...my alcohol looked golden after the soak, was never green..i froze my alcohol and material over night first...poured through SS strainer into mason jar then filtered through 2 unbleached coffee filters onto a very large warm pyrex (2-3 liter)after ..if you only do a small amount, the larger surface area will dry it faster with less heat..ive done small batches in a pyrex on a heat mat set to high...but with larger batches i set that pyrex in another one of the same size, the bottom one filled with hot water...i then put stacked pyrex's on a large griddle set to low, just enough to keep the water in the bottom pyrex hot..i let it evaporate until i can touch the qwiso without it sticking to my fingers , but still has taffy consistency...i then scrape, let it cool , then break the shards onto a parchment and let the oil sit at room temps for a week just to make sure everything has left..ive tried fresh batches right off the griddle, even with a shatter consistency it still was very harsh..same batch a week later smoked like a dream, i once gave myself bronchitis for 4 months from smoking a batch fresh off the griddle fwiw

fair warning, evaporating iso absolutely REEEEEEKS..air drying isnt bad, but if you heat it, it pretty much makes your house smell like if you put your nose in a bottle and took a wiff..i couldnt do it unless i did it right next to the door with the door and all windows open and a fan blowing out of the door..and it still reeked up my entire pad..but i did very large batches, sometimes 1-2 liters at a time..i stopped using iso as a solvent and switched over to everclear because you can evap an everclear batch with barely any smell compared to iso..on the other hand, iso extracts taste alot better than everclear extracts..everclear extracts all kinda taste the same, while iso tastes like the flowers they came from..no idea why but something i noticed

i honestly prefer the high on qwiso to bho, and it is better on my lungs..i personally wont smoke bho anymore unless it was made with n butane like curbs, the mystery oil that was found to be in all cans is not something i want in my body..and unless you winterize it , it kills my lungs..thats why i bought a washing machine to make my headstash with

hope that helps

I have a question about the actual wash time....why only 15-20 seconds opposed to 10 minutes.What are the factors involved in lengthening the wash time?

you only do 15-20 because anything over that will strip a ton of chlorophyll in the alchohol and make your extract look black and taste like shit...like many pics ive seen...i did a 35 second soak once to try to up my yield, it was horrible and i threw it away..if you soak for 10 minutes , your alcohol with look like the grinch pissed in it and your extract will be on par with roof tar...you can soak fresh frozen flowers longer than dry flowers, but still not 10 minutes...with everclear , a 2-3 minutes soak, is equivalent to 15 seconds with iso, as iso is more aggressive than everclear..but 10 minutes is still a no go with either imo..its very easy to get bad oil with iso from too long of a soak, and over agitation..so you have to be very quick about it, and the line between too long and too short of a soak is paper thin..i see people do a 30+ second aggressive shake, and im not surprised when their oil looks horrible...you alcohol should look golden after the soak, if its green you soaked to long

I ordered a few gallons of 99.8 isopropyl off Amazon, gonna try this method out.

A question :

Instead of reducing to oil, then adding back alcohol before winterizing, could you just reduce, leave some alcohol, then winterize that and save the extra step ?

Winterizing is technically extracting with a non polar solvent and then redissolving the extract in a polar solvent, before freezing it to precipitate out the non polar waxes.

Iso is polar, so it doesn't extract as many non polar waxes as butane or hexane, so most folks skip winterizing. You could redissolve it in ethanol or methanol, which are both more polar, and precipitate out any waxes by chilling.

hmmm...I guess I caught the goo at the right time the very first run... it was a chocolately concoction, like finger hash. 2nd and 3rd run I think i let it dry too long and it ended up flaking and almost looks like clumps of screen kief. Granted I used 99ISO first run, Pure Acetone other times... I've heard that the Acetone produces a better flavor and aroma... I haven't smoked either, what are your thoughts?

I'm striving for the shatter... I agitate (shake and swirl) for about 15-30 seconds per run in a quart mason jar, then run through a 80 mesh and then 120 mesh paint strainers... looks like good product, but I want better... lol, how do I get better?

I've got a dozen cans of high quality butane but I'd rather not use them.... please help me perfect this craft of hash/extract making.

Also, how does one keep it in oil form?

Thanks for all the help pros:hands:

Loki, any tips or tricks? i love the color

id go with ISO, or everclear if you can get it

you wanna cut down your soak time to no longer than 15 seconds imo..and you wanna swirl very lightly..if the material is shaky, i wouldnt swirl at all, just soak..if the material is nug like, swirling is fine...you wanna freeze material and alcohol before hand , for atleast 12 hours..i prefer 24...i also take into account the time it takes to strain the alchohol from the material, and consider this part of my soak time...so if it takes 3 seconds to strain, i swirl for 12 seconds..i would ditch the micron screens and just strain the material through a stainless steel spaghetti strainer into a jar...then run that through 2 coffee filters, stacked on top of eachother...you wanna separate the material from alcohol extremely fast and thats why its better to do that seperation before running through the coffee filters, as it will take too long to drain..the micron screens may be causing you material to sit too long in the alcohol, due to taking too long to strain..and may be fucking your oil up in the process..so even if you did a 30 second wash which is too long as it is) those screens may be making that more like a 40 second + wash by the time it strains through

what do you mean by keep in oil form? oil as in runny? if your oil is runny, it is not fully purged..fully purged qwiso should be like shards of glass, and shatter like such off the razor blade, regardless of room temps..runny oil is a bad thing, if it is runny you need to keep purging because the alchohol present is what is making it runny...resin doesnt run on its own..you wanna scrape it up before it gets to the flaky powder stage, but not before it is no longer runny...as mentioned earlier, i wait until i can touch the layer of oil in the pan without it sticking to my finger..but while it is still soft enough to scrape up with a razor without flaking into powder..it will take experience to know when that is...after its on a razor , i break the shards onto parchment and either leave it out for a week or put it on a heat mat for a day to get anything left behind from the pan purge out

hope that helps

Hey DJM,

Thanks for your insight... my current is as such:

Put nugs and larf and shake into a qt mason jar

Fill up with ISO or Acetone and let it sit for a couple seconds

shake pretty roughly for about 5 then swirl for 5 seconds

pour out material into paint strainers inside of each other

the material sit in strainers and liquid runs through and into a pyrex jar

then I either let it sit til it evaps or turn on a fan directly over it til it dries.

What I have gotten is one of my skillets to the warehouse, so one day I can boil off the alcohol or acetone instead of waiting for it to dry.

I look forward to getting this down....:pl:

hi y'all;

quick question. making this in a ball jar is fine; but how the hell do you proccess 6-8l of everclear & a few #'s. it takes longer than 30 seconds just to empty the bottles, much less strain out. i've been doing this for years, for the base of my elixir, but always looking for a better finished product. breaking it down into 1qt @ a time would more than triple the time & effort.

thanx!
A

I'm thinking that maybe pour the everclear into a large widemouthed type container, then dump that into the jar with the herb ?

hi y'all;

quick question. making this in a ball jar is fine; but how the hell do you proccess 6-8l of everclear & a few #'s. it takes longer than 30 seconds just to empty the bottles, much less strain out. i've been doing this for years, for the base of my elixir, but always looking for a better finished product. breaking it down into 1qt @ a time would more than triple the time & effort.

thanx!
A

baron - i use to use glass jars big enough to fit a half pound...you can fit a screen strainer into the lip on the screw on cap, after the material is inside...i would then do as skitty recommended and pour the everclear from the bottle into a large glass pitcher...then dump the pitcher into the half lb jar, through the screen and onto the herb..then after the proper soak time, all you have to do is turn the jar back upside down and strain it back into the glass pitcher...it works extremely well for large runs..after you have soaked all the material you plan to run, you can then run it all through coffee filters...that is the lengthiest part of the process when running large amounts..you will want atleast 4-5 (3 liter) pyrex pans , and a ton of fresh air and ventilation to evaporate 6-8 liters of everclear

hiya don juan;

1/2# is no sweat! i make about 3# @ a shot! i don't finish for smoking; it's an ingredient for the honey based elixir. i use restaurant equipment to process, no pyrex or glass jars or coffee filters. i get a much easier filtration thru a 2x strainer & then a chinoise mouselline. i have been making this stuff for almost 8 years, w/success. just looking for an easier extraction. my latest batch was 6l, about typical. i plan on doing a run of about 30-40# this spring & making 10-15 gal of elixir. 1/2# @ a time & i might not get done before summer.

search continues! thanx!
A

Looking into doing a little batch here soon, curius if anyone has any saftey concerns with running it indoors? Just thinking about pilot lights and other sources of possible ignition while i'm evaporating the iso off. Im thinking garage or outside sounds like the best bet, although i have winterized bho and boiled off the iso indoors with no problem. Just curius what others thoughts are, puff puff pass

^ i never had an issue with that gooey..i did mine indoors aswell, with doors and windows open, a few feet from outside..the smell and fumes were more of a concern than a fire, you do not want to breath in alcohol fumes, it can mess your lungs up...i did however hear about a guy that was vaping off huge amounts in his oven and it blew the entire door off, said it sounded like a 12 gauge..think that had more to do with the vapors building up in the oven with no where for it to go though..with tons of air flow i never saw that as an issue...i wouldnt vape it off on a stove with a burner though, just incase..i always used a large griddle with double stacked pyrex's and never had an issue

Looking into doing a little batch here soon, curius if anyone has any saftey concerns with running it indoors? Just thinking about pilot lights and other sources of possible ignition while i'm evaporating the iso off. Im thinking garage or outside sounds like the best bet, although i have winterized bho and boiled off the iso indoors with no problem. Just curius what others thoughts are, puff puff pass

I run ethanol indoors, but Isopropyl outdoors.

Back