Qwiso oil extraction

Graywolf

Quick Wash Isopropyl, also know as QWISO is one of the techniques employed to extract oil from cannabis.

It is a popular form of extraction where high purity Ethanol is either not available or priced out of reach. It even has a following that swears it is the only way to fly.

I will show it here in its simplest form, as well as the way we normally process QWISO at the skunk pharm to produce an absolute from the oleoresin extracted, for use in topicals.

As most of our extracted QWISO goes into topical meds, we also decarboxylate ours. This process is based on the 252F curve shown in the attached graph; I copied from Jump 117 in Moscow.

The first question is why use a quick wash technique to extract the resins, instead of long soaks to extract as much resin as possible, or just boiling the material in alcohol to get the greatest amount of extracted material?

The answer to that is that because alcohol is a highly polar solvent that is soluble in water, the latter two techniques also extract the water solubles like chlorophyll and plant alkaloids, as well as the plant waxes and vegetable oil.

Even quick wash does to a lesser degree, but the added steps that we include here minimize pickup even further and we take additional steps to remove the impurities that we do pick up.

The first wash will usually extract 75 to 80%, leaving the balance for the second. The second extraction will be more sedative and less heady. If you use a hand microscope, you can easily see when the trichome heads are gone and the stalks look like wet fur.

A cured material QWISO absolute is one of the most aromatic and tasty of the extraction methods and consistently gets high raves from the volunteer test panels, as well as the patients and students. Both from an efficacy, as well as a flavor standpoint.

The first step in the process is to get as much water as possible out of the material.

This procedure is specifically for material that has been cured to about 15% water content, which is typical of cured material. 15% is a lot of water and the alcohol already has 5% in it, so unless we reduce the water content even further, we will be extracting a lot of water solubles.

We dry our cured material even further by spreading it on a cookie sheet and baking it in a 200F oven until just frangible when rolled between the finger and thumb.

At this point, for the most pristine extract, we simply coarsely break down buds by hand and load the material into jars. Leaves and trim are just lightly compacted as is.

Or we can scrub it through a wire mesh pasta strainer, using a leather gloved hand and firm pressure, so as to maximize space, but still generate fewer fine particles than grinding in a food processor or blender.

We never, ever, use a blender or coffee grinder to reduce material, because it produces a lot of ultra fine powder that makes it through conventional filters.

The stems will be left behind if you strain, which I encourage you to save for a different extraction, and make a killer topical out of them. If you leave them in the extraction, they will leave some of their flavor behind.

Next, while it is still warm, we seal the material in a jar, which we place in the freezer to tie up any remaining water as ice. We also put the 99% Isoproypl alcohol in the freezer.

When they have both stabilized at about 0F, pour the alcohol into the jar of plant material, so that it is at least an inch above the material, and shake it gently for 15/20 seconds.

At the end of 15/20 seconds, dump it through a wire strainer to drain quickly.

Set the material aside to dry for a second extraction. We usually keep the two extractions separate, as they will have different properties.

Filter the extracted liquid.

We use either a vacuum filter or a simple coffee filter, depending on the quantity we are processing.

A couple different ways to go at this point. One is to pour the alcohol wash in shallow Pyrex pie plates and use natural evaporation or fans to evaporate away the alcohol.

Another is to place that filtered liquid in a suitable container and set that container in an oil bath heated to 240/250F. We use bain marie and other stainless ware from a restaurant supply.

Make sure that the container is sitting on something that suspends it up off the bottom of the oil pot. I throw four jar lids in the bottom of my electric fondue pot and use it for that purpose.

Never trust the numbers on the dial and use a good thermometer to set temperatures. We use either a mercury lab thermometer, or a digital one. Good temperature control is key to the process.

That means the device that you use to control the oil temperature must have a narrow dead band, so that the temperature control is stable.

I paid about $60 for a Quisinart fondue pot that was designed to heat sensitive sauces like chocolate and has excellent control throughout its temperature range. There are a couple of Revels in our group that are slightly larger and work well, plus cost only about $30, though they have a slightly larger dead band.

Some fry cookers have sensitive enough controls, but many deep fryers designed to primarily run at 375F, lack control sensitivity and have large dead bands at 250F.

Boil off the alcohol until the liquid is reduced to a pool of oil and all but minor bubbles cease rising at the edges and then pour at least ten volumes of alcohol and wash out the whole pot by swirling it and washing off any resin stuck to the sides.

Using a funnel, pour that liquid into a jar or bottle, seal it, and place that in the freezer.

I usually leave it at least overnight, but have pushed it to a couple hours. The liquid will lose its clarity and become slightly cloudy, primarily from plant waxes flocculating out. There will also be precipitant on the bottom of the container.

Carefully decant and filter that liquid one more time, and you will have a bell clear extract, that is ready to reduce down one more time.

Place in a suitable container for return to the oil bath. Since you have much less material, a smaller one may be used.

At this point I put them in small stainless cups or a 250 ML beaker to reduce the surface area that will be coated with oil when I cook it down the last time.

When the oil is (mostly) bubble I free, I extract it from the container using a pipette, so as to not leave a streak of material in the vessel. After I have extracted all that I can using a pipette, I wash the container and pipette out with hot alcohol, and save the wash for the next run.

Nothing is wasted or left behind.

hey Graywolf, thanks for taking the time to type that all up and share with us, appreciate it.

Here is a couple of questions from someone who has only done the QWISO maybe once?..---->me.

Here is what you said:

Boil off the alcohol until the liquid is reduced to a pool of oil and all but minor bubbles cease rising at the edges and then pour at least ten volumes of alcohol and wash out the whole pot by swirling it and washing off any resin stuck to the sides.

My question is, that "pool of oil"..is that what you scraped up on the single edged razor blade in the picture?

Also, when you say, "then pour at least ten volumes of alcohol and wash out the whole pot"

What i hear you say is if one has a tablespoon of "pool of oil", one would use 10 tablespoons of alcohol?

Last piece of the puzzle, do you add the "pool of oil" back into the pan that one is rinsing out, and pour all that back into a jar before the final rinse?

Thanks again!

cheers
big

You're welcome!

I can see how showing two purging methods, without segregating the pictures, adds questions?

The razor blade has resin scraped from a pie plate that was purged by simply blowing air over it.

The pool of oil with the bubbles that I speak of, is when you put the alcohol mixture in a deeper container and set that in hot oil, such as in the picture with the beaker sitting in the fondue pot.

That beaker still contains mostly alcohol and I unfortunately don't have pictures of what that looks like at the point I normally remove it, but will try to remember to take some next QWISO run and post them.

Yes, with one tablespoon, ten table spoons would be adequate, but in fact I don't measure it out, I just pour enough to get the job done, which is around 10 volumes or so.

I heat the alcohol up to boiling before pouring it in to make it more aggressive and faster cleaning. If it looks like I missed a little oil, I just dash in more alcohol to wash it out.

I don't fully understand your last question bro. Could you elaborate?

Acetone is more agressive, but I haven't run enough to establish timing, just enough to see how the process works.

I did it the same way as ISO and got similar results.

I've seen another acetone technique that produced a pretty clear oil and involved packing the material in a funnel, lined with a filter, and pouring the acetone through it. They stopped when they started picking up excess color.

is there any effect from going beyond evaporation and vac purging this, like when purging bho?

I've found by letting the qwiso sit in front of a fan instead of using heat to evaporate my wash makes for what we call corn flakes...the product dries and can be scraped up with a blade making it much easier to handle...it resembles little golden brown chips hence the name...:slap:

made some today, used an aeropress with just a couple grams to try out for the first time, worked great...even with everything warm at room temp, only having 71%iso on hand in the house, and not freezing/filtering a second time to let waxes n whatever flocculate out, it still managed to give me something that shatters...should be real nice when I get things cold with 99%

Attachments

• qwisob.jpg
    qwisob.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
hmmm, it almost looks red...bet it tastes exotic...did you use the fan to dry it or did you boil it...

did you use the fan to dry it or did you boil it...
smaller pyrex sitting inside a larger one...I boiled water on the stove and then filled the larger pyrex with the hot water surrounding the smaller pyrex sitting in the middle with the iso/oil evaporating...the water cooled faster than I though it would I had to change the water out every 10 minutes or so with a fresh pot of boiling water...I should've evaporated out of a dish with more surface area and it woulda gone faster

this is the bud it came from, aeric77 calio crossed with something, it's like a fruity orange, the qwiso tastes like that plus hash

Attachments

• caliox%20-%20Copy.jpg
    caliox%20-%20Copy.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 3
can you handle it like hash or is it sticky...I've made it with ae77 cali o as well and yeah, it does taste great...

can you handle it like hash or is it sticky...I've made it with ae77 cali o as well and yeah, it does taste great...
it's like hard candy you kinda chip it apart...or like really stale old taffy that's gone rock hard...been using it in my cloud vape pen, works nice

nice...my last run turned out tan...I used choco diesel for my trim...stuff takes my breath away and sticks my nostrils together...but it sure do put the lights out and makes on a 'tard...

Hey Loki, I want to make a concentrate that will work well in a vape pen. I'd rather not use butane if qwiso will produce a comparable result, yours looks great. Could you elaborate a little on what you did? Maybe a step by step.

Last edited:
I think I want to try this qwiso... I was able to locate only one liter of %99 isopropyl so I am wondering is there a ratio of trim to alcohol or just use enough to cover the trim?

Hey Loki, I want to make a concentrate that will work well in a vape pen. I'd rather not use butane if qwiso will produce a comparable result, yours looks great. Could you elaborate a little on what you did? Maybe a step by step.
pretty simple, I used an aeropress...substitute buds for coffee grounds, and isopropyl for the water...instead of the vigorous shaking in a jar, I just let the iso drain through the bud, kinda trying to replicate the way butane moves down through an extraction tube and mimicking the contact time...also I didn't grind the bud, just broke it into about 1/4-1/2" pieces the way they kinda naturally break apart...squeezed it out straight into the evap dish, evaporated, scraped it up n let it dry...like I mentioned it'll probably turn out better when I freeze everything and use 99% next time, and maybe see about adding back a bit of iso to refreeze it and let flocculate to filter a 2nd time...from reading at the skunkpharm blog I might try n get ahold of some everclear for an ethanol extraction with the same tek n see if that turns out even better still
[youtube]uad09dUncHo[/youtube]

Last edited:
good idea on the technique loki. I have always much preferred everclear hash to the iso hash using the shaking method, so I am guessing the everclear in the aeropress would be way better as well.

Last edited:
I think I want to try this qwiso... I was able to locate only one liter of %99 isopropyl so I am wondering is there a ratio of trim to alcohol or just use enough to cover the trim?

I just cover the trim about an inch or so.

Back