Qwiso oil extraction

so had some bad luck. almost burnt down the house two weeks before moving out. i think it's ironic that one of the reasons im making qwiso instead of bho is reduced risk of fire and all. So anyway i was evaporating off a batch of iso/oil on the counter using my heat mat like I have done a hundred times theses last two month. I checked it and saw all the liquid was gone and left it to go for a couple more hours. the temp gun read 127-135. I went into the growroom and was working transplanting and stuff. twenty minutes later my dog shows up to tell me the kitchen is on fire and smells nasty. so I go in the kitchen and see four inch flames coming off the heating pad. I guess the wiring got old or overloaded and then melted the plastic and caught fire. The plastic heat mat was bubbling and sticking to the pot but the oil was not on fire at all. Unfortunately the plastic pieces fell into the oil and fucked up the batch. luckily I just unplugged it from the wall and used a pot lid to put it out easily. Guess I am done using heating pads and will just evaporate with fans. Thank god for my dog. :jumpgreen: The counter has a nice burn mark on it now. Hopefully it doesn't look bad after it's painted. So much for a security deposit. Make sure all appliances are UL listed please.

Two sidenotes. I got some 95% everclear when my friend came from oregon and was able to make a bunch of oil using 99% iso and 95% everclear for comparison using the same material. I agree the ever clear is smoother and has a better flavor.

Also my new favorite method for making qwiso is with bubblehash instead of trim. Which I guess only works if you have a lot of trim to process instead of a little. I take the trim and make bubblehash with it. Then when its dry you can dissolve the bubble hash in alcohol, filter and evaporate like normal. This method requires tons less alcohol. Instead of needing gallons of alcohol to process lots of ozs I can just use a couple ounces. Also I think making the bubblehash first you can get a lot of the water solubles out like most of the chlorophyll so it wont be extracted by the alcohol as well. Also since it's hash and not plant material I can soak/mix the bubble hash in the alcohol longer without messing up the flavor. 30 secs I like going for trim but I can leave the bubble in there for 3 minutes and not mess up the flavor. If I did it for 5 minutes or longer it had a negative affect on the flavor.

We've switched to a silicone heat mat but have had issues with those too, where there is too great a difference between actual and set point, so that they just turn on and stay on too long, so wildly overshoot.

Briskheat offers them with 150F high limit switches, but their current delivery isn't good.

You might check Omega and Watlow.

Do you guys break up the bubblehash into little bits before shaking or just toss pucks in?

I need to find some iso to rescue bubble that got a little white mold layer going.... Any tips greatly appreciated!

picture.php

Made with acetone

Do you guys break up the bubblehash into little bits before shaking or just toss pucks in?

I need to find some iso to rescue bubble that got a little white mold layer going.... Any tips greatly appreciated!

We break it up, so that it dissolves faster.

Ummmmm, not sure what mold the white is. Composting molds produce aflatoxins, sooooooo suggesting you mount a specimen and examine it under a microscope, to establish strain.

Here is what Aspergillus, the primary composting actor looks like under 100X.

Attachments

• 120px-Aspergillus_fumigatus_01.jpg
    120px-Aspergillus_fumigatus_01.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Aspergillus (1) fumigatus.jpg
    Aspergillus (1) fumigatus.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 48
anyone know whats goin on here? I used 99% iso that I froze and its been air drying. Last of the liquid is very milky and theres also a milky film on the bottom of the pyrex.

20230508_143048.jpg

[MENTION=3586]Graywolf[/MENTION] would likely know the answer to this one.

My guess would be waxes, but that is not a very informed guess.

The combination of water, alcohol and aromatic alkene hydrocarbons

Water + alcohol + terpenes = beige milky water

thank you! do you think i need additional steps or just let it dry and scrape? appreciate any input you might have.

thank you! do you think i need additional steps or just let it dry and scrape? appreciate any input you might have.

When it gets to that point, you can either let it dry, or stick it in the freezer to solidify the oil and then pour off the water mixture.

Back