mojo's Basic Coco Grow Plan - a work in progress, lol

M

mojo

mojo's Basic Coco Grow Guide

I wrote this one night on another shore, after getting so frustrated at answering the same questions and arguing about watering for the billionth time. I stand by every word of it.

All of the following is my opinion based on experience. None of what comes after this is as important as the individual grower. I'm not going to get into any "become one with the ganja" bullshit. But you have to be in tune with the plants. if you've chosen coco coir as your medium for your very first grow ever, after this first grow you'll know what being in tune with the plants is all about.

Learn to read what your plants are trying to tell you. Use the fan leaves as a barometer to gage how they're really feeling about what you're doing and learn to trust what they're telling you. Case in point, I'm harvesting plants right now and during the grow, I started picking up some yellowing. It didn't really look like a N deficiency but I tested the pH of the reservoir and it was at 5.8 so it had to be nitrogen. I bumped up the nitrogen level and re-fed. Next couple of days and after bumping the nitrogen up again, the leaves were getting worse. My gut was telling me I should have gone with my gut the first time. This really looked like a pH lockout problem. I re-calibrated my meter and it had been off. I had been adjusting pH to an out of range number and the plants couldn't use what I was giving them. Once I found the error, I knew I had too much nitrogen in the pots so I added ro water to the res to reduce the ppm. I then brought the pH of the reservoir to 5.8 and I switched on a feed cycle. Problem solved and the undamaged parts of the affected leaves greened up again within a matter of days. Go with what the plants tell you.

Coco is a neutral medium and by that I mean that aside from its limited ability to adjust pH to optimum levels, it provides nothing to the plant. All the nutrients your plant needs to grow will be provided by you. What coco does do though, its fibers create millions of tiny spaces between themselves. Think about coco as being a very porous, open cell sponge. It releases water very quickly and as it drains out of the bottom of the pots, it pulls in fresh nutrients and oxygen. The medium holds water, oxygen, and nutrients in perfect ratio for the roots in these tiny spaces.

How to grow in coco.

This is a basic primer and it should be successful for anyone wanting to try coco as a grow medium.

This is not the definitive guide to growing in coco. These are the basics, and by that I mean, if you follow these general guidelines you should be able, with the help of this new forum, to grow your way to a successful harvest. There are those that will play with this or that and add this or that and that's fine. But if you begin to have problems, fall back to this level and you can probably rescue the plants.

I hear people asking the same questions over and over again about growing in coco and I thought I’d give a shot at trying to put down a fail safe regimen for them to start with. I’ll let you know from the start that I’m a “less is better” sort of guy so these will be the basics of growing in coco and for the most part, it’s exactly how I grow. What I do is no secret and I’m no better at it than the newbie will be if they follow it.

Above all else, pay attention to the plants. Download the sick plant guide and study it. There’s a lot you won’t have to worry about in coco but study it just the same. If you do the following, you shouldn’t wreck any plants, hehe.

Water:
I use water that drains from my dehumidifier as my reverse osmosis water source but I will refer to it as RO for the sake of simplicity.

I mix my ro water 50/50 with tap water. Using some tap water gives my plants the trace minerals they need. Using the above mix, the use of Cal-Mag+ shouldn’t be necessary.

Always pH the water after you’ve added the nutrients as they tend to lower or raise the pH themselves. Don’t forget to agitate the water to disperse the nutes before you check the ec/ppm.

Nutrients:

Be sure the nutrients you start out with are meant to be used in coco. Coco is special, hehe. Remember – coco specific nutrients

Discount the ec of the plain water when adding nutrients. By that I mean, if someone tells you to feed at a certain ppm or ec, they are talking about that ec or ppm as the ec or ppm of nutrients only and without taking the ec of the trace minerals in the tap water into account.

I use Canna A&B, Rhizotonic and Cannazyme (once in a while)
PK 13/14 is used two weeks into flower and again a couple of weeks before harvest. You don’t have to do this but I do.

Canna A&B is the backbone of the grow. You begin giving it at small levels after you see the first true leaves on the seedlings and you keep giving it right up until you start the flush to prepare for harvest.

I first give the A/B at about 0.5mL/qt right after I see these leaves and continue to give it at levels up to 6mL/gal for the rest of the grow. Up until this point, the plants just get plain water pHd to 5.8. Even at this point, they need very little in the way of nutes and too much will kill them.

Don't use epsom salts with coco. As a matter of fact if something says it has salt in it, and I don't care what order the letters are in, lol, don't put it into your plant's pot. And I'm not trying to start a debate on what's left over from nutrient solutions. SALT! We water to runoff to get rid of that.

Medium:
I’ve used both Canna coco coir and B’Cuzz coco. I use both right out of the bag as with these two brands, rinsing is not necessary. I don’t have any experience with other brands but I know these two to be safe to use without rinsing.

I use 100% coco. No additional components are needed and actually I think anything else added to coco just complicates the medium unnecessarily.

Lighting:
I use an 8 strip T5 fluorescent along with a 250w cfl for moms/clones/seedlings. I then put them under MH for veg if I decide I want to veg the plants beyond what I do with the fluorescents.

My veg cycle is 20/4 and I use this because of a report I once saw where different light cycles were used for veg and the results were recorded. I’m happy with the results and recommend the schedule to anyone else who’s not sold on what they’re doing. I’ve gotten great yields using this and I’m not changing. The plants seem sturdier and the yield using 20/4 seems to be above average with what I’ve seen around the forums.

I flower under HPS. I’ve got 2 400w and 1 600w available and I use them all during flowering. You can see them in some of my pictures and I don’t have them vented right now. I grew in a closet at one point and needed the glass and flow of air through the lights to keep the temps down. Now that I’m out in the middle of the room, venting is not necessary and the lights are open to the room. I just keep the lights a proper distance from the plants to avoid light burn.

Environment:

I use a window ac unit to cool the room. I also use a dehumidifier to keep RH where I need it to be. As I said, I use the runoff from this dehumidifier to water with. I use a fan to blow up into the forest, lol, and circulate the air. I’ve got a huge carbon filter in the closet I use for the moms/clones/seedlings with a 475cfm fan pulling air. It pulls air from the main room, scrubs it and puts it back into the same room. The door to this main room is sealed from the rest of the house and the smell from the grow room is minimal, even while inside the grow room itself. The door to the closet is also sealed from the main room and I use darkroom vents to keep the thing light proof. This way the two rooms can operate independently from each other.

I keep the ac set at 72F and the temps at the tops of the plants stays about 78F-80F. Exhaust from the carbon filter coming out of the closet, along with the breeze from the ac and the air from the fan, keeps everything moving in the room.

Watering:
I hand watered up until my current grow and I still consider this to be the premo way to go. When you hand water, you spend time with the plants and you learn them inside and out. Sort of like washing your car. That’s when you find all the dents and dings, hehe. I recommend all new growers hand water. It really gives you a feel for the grow that you won’t get any other way. And feel means a lot. As a pilot for the last 40 years I learned early on that on a flight that lasted any longer than a couple of hours, I needed to fly the last half hour manually and off autopilot to regain a feel for the plane. First time I waited to disengag the autopilot until I was on final after a 6 hour flight, it got pretty exciting and I think I touched down three or four times on just that one landing, lmfao.

At any rate, back to the subject of weed, lol. Once you get growing down, then go to a system of watering that will make it a little easier. Like a drip system. I use a recirculation drip system and just maintain the res where it needs to be and it waters for me twice a day.

Never let the coco dry out!!! Always water till you get at least a 15% runoff!!! In my book, these two things are imperatives. You can’t over water in coco. I don’t care what you read elsewhere, it just can’t be done. You may be able to water more than is necessary, but you’re not going to kill the plants by over watering like would happen in soil. The coco is like a sponge in that it will only hold so much water and then it releases the excess and lets it drain. Using gravity as a passive means of transit, the new water pulls the old out as it drains, pulling along with it the old used up remnants of the nutrients you fed them last time you watered. As the water pulls the stale nutrients out of the bottom of the pot, it pulls in fresh oxygen and nutrients from the top. This way, every time you water, you’re exchanging the water in the pot. Fresh is good!!!

This is by no means an exhaustive study of growing in coco but it’s enough of a start that someone should be able to grow without the final result looking like Hiroshima the morning after.

If you disagree with any of the above, that’s your right. Don’t tell me though that the above doesn’t work because it does. It’s worked well for me and it will for others. At the very least it will give a person a place to start. If they want to complicate things by adding a bunch of stuff like eagle beaks, snake eyes, bat balls (and bat shit), and pancake syrup later on just cause they’re bored and need to work on some problems for a while, they’re free to do that. I’ve not found a reason to add anything so I haven’t. I can’t for the life of me understand why oxygen, water, NPK, mild temps, and adequate lighting aren’t enough. They have been for me. But I’m just a simple old grower with simple needs. I don’t need the excitement complicated grows will add to my life. I’m in my heart attack years, lol, and simple’s good for me.

I’ll add to this as I see a need and if I didn’t make something clear enough, but to recap things a little.

1. Water ever day at least once till you get at least a 15% runoff.
2. pH the feed water to 5.8.
3. Use 100% coco till you get the hang of things and can handle a problem or two.
4. Use nutrients that were made to be used in coco. Specifically coco! Canna, Hesi, etc.
5. Start feeding with plain tap water at the seedling stage and very slowly work your way up to what the plants will tolerate.
6. Keep temps around 76F-82F.
7. Keep humidity in check during flower to control mold.
8. Provide adequate lighting to keep plants from stretching too much and to maximize yield.
9. Flush the pots if you suspect a problem.

Don’t make rapid adjustments to either pH or ppm. Slow is good but then unless a crop duster has just sprayed your plants with agent orange, you’re gonna have time to fix things. It’s kina like sailing across the Atlantic in a sail boat. Nothing happens fast. You wake up, find out you need to change course and then decide if you want to do it today or tomorrow, hehehe. The jet flying over you needs to make corrections in a more timely manner due to speed. We’re in a sailboat here folks. Don’t give yourself hemorrhoids trying to do things quicker than is needed.

Follow the above and you should be enjoying the fruits of your labor in no time at all. If you screw something up, flush it away.

OK, I’m done. No piling on! I don’t have the energy to fight nor do I want to. Nothing I have said here is meant as a condemnation of other methods or even of different ways of growing using this method. I realize others who are successful, have their ways of doing things and I applaud diversity, lol. I have in no way tried to minimize any other way of growing and please don’t tell me about why you use syrup, guano, and lizard urine (just kidding). To me, they’re not worth the expense, the risk, the trouble, or the time it takes to figure it out.

Good water, good nutrients, good lighting, good temps and good air! That should cover it unless you want to get into keeping the dogs from eating the plants, lol.

Edited:

During the seedling stage and while they are still in the solo cups, the roots really need to develop. You get them to do this by letting the coco in the solo cups almost dry out. I mean to the point that when you lift the cup, it feels really light. This makes the roots go to the bottom of the cup to look for water and in doing so, the root system really develops. Normally, a couple of days after you see root tips poking out of the bottom holes in the cups, it's ok to transplant them into a larger pot.

I go directly from solo cups to my 3 gallon pots. I don't see any reason to go from bucket to bucket unless I'm trying to keep the plant's size down and I'm not. I bend em and tie em down if I have to but the bigger the plant, the better the yield in my opinion.

I go ahead and put the plants on the watering schedule they're gonna be on for the rest of their journey, lol. One of the good things about going ahead and planting into the larger pots is that the seedling's root mass, if you can call anything that underdeveloped a mass, hehe... anyway the seedling's root mass is at the top of the pot. I water twice a day, once when the lights come on and again 10 hours later, or two hours before lights out. The top of the pots dries out a little quicker in between waterings and the roots spread out and down looking for that extra water.

Coco's so efficient at holding moisture in equilibrium that no matter where the roots go, the moisture level is the same. So they just keep spreading out in their search for more water.

At least this has been my observation. I'm not an expert in horticulture and I haven't really had a chance to actually talk to the roots and ask them, but I'm relatively sure this is what's going on.

About re-potting.

On the day of the big move, I'll get the larger pots ready and scoop out a place in the coco for the new plants. Once I've done that, I pick up my mister (the spray bottle, not another guy, lmfao) and spray the coco the roots will be touching when I put the root ball into the new coco. As long as it's moist, the roots will settle in nicely.

After the seedlings are in the new coco, I'll water the surface of the coco right on top of the seedling's root mass. Water very gently! What I'm trying to do besides the obvious is to get enough moisture right on top of the roots that they go ahead and grow into the new coco. Watering right on top of the root ball also helps any coco at the root level that's not contacting the coco to settle in around the root fibers. Once the root tips grow into the new stuff, the plants don't know the difference between the new and the old. They're on their way. Takes only a day or two so I go ahead and put them on their new watering regimen from the start. Notice I said regimen and not regime, lol. Two totally different words with different meanings, hehe. Can anyone say "W E B S T E R' S".

This would be the time to use the root growth stimulator my friends. Nothing more than that. No real NPK dosing till they get established which takes two or three days. Then add NPK at minute (meaning small... not 60 seconds, Jesus!) levels. I mean start out watering at 0.5mL/gal with your regular nutes. The plants don't need much right now and as a matter of fact, the only real damage you can do right now is over feeding!!!!! They're not going to be using much of anything. I mean anything! So back the lights off and give them some breathing room. If you're using CFLs or other fluorescent lighting, doesn't matter, back it off!!! Right now, if you put the seedlings into a closet and forgot about them for a couple of days, they'd smile when you remembered where they were, and go on about their business. Less is more right now!

If you're watering by hand, first off this is a good thing, as you're really gonna get to know your plants when watering by hand. If watering by hand, it's ok at this point to water every other day if you want. The plants aren't using enough of anything to run out of it in two days. This will help the roots a little as they try to spread out. Those like myself who are using a drip system, for convenience' sake can go ahead and start watering like they're going to do the rest of the grow and the roots will be fine.

Edited to include the lighting report:

Here's the post on lighting that got me started on the 20/4 schedule.

I got the information a long time ago and was ignorant enough that it seemed as good a place to start as any. As I said, I've gotten really, really good results using 20/4 so I don't have any reason to think I need to change. If you're not completely sold on what schedule to use or even if you just think you'd like to try it, do so. I didn't do the work in the study and I can't remember who wrote this. Seems to me it was some rogue grower who used to be a part of some group or something that was interested in maximizing growth and yield.

Once again, I don't know the credibility of the author, but the results have been there for me.

Here's the report. The mum lines referred to were "mom" lines according to what gaiusmarius told me once. I thought they were talking about mums as in the flower called a mum. As I remember it, gaius laughed at us for wondering. Must be a British thing, hehe.

In the words of the author:

Lighting Schedule

We did a lot of experiments with light times a few years back using known sativa and sativa dominant clone lines.

With Vegging under HID lights.

20/4 produced the sturdiest growth and the most bulk. Best final yield, taken as 100%
22/2 Less of both growth and bulk. Yield 88%
18/6 Sturdier than 22/2 but slightly less bulk. Yield 87%
24/0 Much lighter in all aspects than 18/6. Yield 79%
16/8 The weediest plants. Yield 67%

Plants vegged to final pots under fluorescents at 20w per sq ft on 18/6 yield 49%

Have not tried 36 hrs dark but did try 48 hrs from 18/6 veg. The final yield was down between 15% and 20% by varying the pure sativas with the biggest loss in final weight and caused the odd herm, [sativas] it did reduce the flowering time by 5 to 8 days.

For the mum lines we have, 20/4 to 12/12 gives the best crop weight and bud quality, really that’s all I’m interested in.
End of report:

Edited:

In this guide, I talk about coco specific nutrients as if they're the only way to grow in coco. They're not, as has been pointed out by others. I'm going to talk about them as though they were required though. Many growers are so familiar with what they've been using in other mediums that they're able to use what they're familiar with. They know the plants so well they're able to spot deficiencies and alter their feeding regimen to take care of the problem. In my opinion, it's best to start out with nutrients that are designed for the medium so these trace elements and minerals are supplied by the coco nutrients they're giving.

So I'm going to continue to refer to coco specific nutrients like they're gospel. When the new grower becomes experienced enough to argue with the basics, they ought to be knowledgeable enough to handle any problem before it becomes a crisis. Makes sense to me. So go grow, learn as you go, and then come back and start arguing, lmfao. That is if you feel like arguing - but I bet you'll be able to see why I've written this guide as I have and you won't feel the need to make ripples in the water.

Peace
mojo

Last edited:
Wanna talk?

Now that it's been here a while, I opened up this thread for some discussion if anybody is so inclined...

Watering, feeding, disease - anything ya want to talk about...

peace

Maybe treat this thread kinda like a Q&A...

If it starts catchin on, I'll leave it open... If we get more than one or two folks just stoppin in to get help with their addiction to porn, well I may have to shut it back down, LOL.

peace

Watering:
I hand watered up until my current grow and I still consider this to be the premo way to go. When you hand water, you spend time with the plants and you learn them inside and out. Sort of like washing your car. That’s when you find all the dents and dings, hehe. I recommend all new growers hand water. It really gives you a feel for the grow that you won’t get any other way. And feel means a lot. As a pilot for the last 40 years I learned early on that on a flight that lasted any longer than a couple of hours, I needed to fly the last half hour manually and off autopilot to regain a feel for the plane. First time I waited to disengag the autopilot until I was on final after a 6 hour flight, it got pretty exciting and I think I touched down three or four times on just that one landing, lmfao.

At any rate, back to the subject of weed, lol. Once you get growing down, then go to a system of watering that will make it a little easier. Like a drip system. I use a recirculation drip system and just maintain the res where it needs to be and it waters for me twice a day.

Never let the coco dry out!!! Always water till you get at least a 15% runoff!!! In my book, these two things are imperatives. You can’t over water in coco. I don’t care what you read elsewhere, it just can’t be done. You may be able to water more than is necessary, but you’re not going to kill the plants by over watering like would happen in soil. The coco is like a sponge in that it will only hold so much water and then it releases the excess and lets it drain. Using gravity as a passive means of transit, the new water pulls the old out as it drains, pulling along with it the old used up remnants of the nutrients you fed them last time you watered. As the water pulls the stale nutrients out of the bottom of the pot, it pulls in fresh oxygen and nutrients from the top. This way, every time you water, you’re exchanging the water in the pot. Fresh is good!!!

well mojo, thankfully i did'nt learn the hard way, but man this is spot on.

i was hand watering a 1 gal neb and for the last several weeks only watering every other day. when i was feeding, i'd peak around 1200, but towards the end more like 7-9.
7 days of plain water (without very much runoff). i decided to check the run off of a few girls that are getting close...

1800! this just blew me away, especially since i hadn't been feeding every time through out the bloom...

where do you stand on re-useing coco?
from what very little i've seen, if the plant was healthy and had a good root system, you'd spend as much time and money on crap to break all that down and flush it as you would to just buy a new bag or brick...

lookin forward to hearing what folks with some experience have to say...:study:

nice thread mojo! great for us newbies to coco. here we dont have the uncompressed stuff. alls we got is the bricks and they are super salty! needing to rinse a lot before usage. any comments on this? where could i find the good ones? perhaps internet ordering?

righteous on the light scheduling. the 20/4 ive used that for many years with great sucess. wonderful thread. good work.

aloha, DFH

dragon, thanks for stoppin by.

If the question is what do I mean by coco specific nutrients, I'm speaking of nutrients that were designed to be used with 100% coco. As coco doesn't add anything mineral wise to the grow, coco specific nutrients supply these minerals and elements to the grow. In my opinion, using coco specific nutrients is the simplest, most cost effective way to grow. The two parts are normally more expensive initially, but considering all the other stuff ya don't have to buy to supplement with, I bet using the Canna A and B that I do is competitive with just about any other way of feeding. --- BONG HIT --- Except for that guy back at icm that was using his piss to feed his plants... Seriously self sufficient dude, he is. Don't even know how you'd go about stumblin on that workin for ya... Buford's wifey finds his RKS plant (seeds saved from his steppenwolf days) down by the crick and makes him go piss on it to kill it? - backfire! Nah, seriously - hat's off to the guy cause that's all he had to grow with and he did it!!! But only in coco, lmfao... Couldn't have done that in soil - holy shit, LOL. Can you say streets of Paris anyone??? anyone??? - Any French peeps out there, I mean that in a good way :party:

BONG HIT -
I'm serious - it took me at least thirty minutes to write to this point from the last hit... pathetic fo sho, but I'm ok with it, lmfao.

If you're talkin about which brands are coco specific, I'll start the list by saying that I've only used Canna products in coco and that's all I've grown with for the last couple of years. HESI also puts out a kick ass, economically priced coco line that's underestimated and overlooked, IMO. There are others out there but I can't think too much right now so somebody else will have to pitch in on those.

:jump:

If you're talkin bout specifically what I feed at...

Canna A and B
PK 13-14 - or however the befucked they write it - I may cuss a little UniGee, sorry, dude --- workin on it me and Him are... all the time, sky pilot
Olivia's cloning solution
Used to use cannazyme -sp- recirc system kinda negates the need for that - don't reuse my coco either, sooo...
Canna Rhizotonic

Here's kinda the rhythm (spent a good minute on that one word alone) I've gotten into lately...

Seeds:
Planted in Canna coco (done in B'Cuzz too) 4" pots - about 3/8 of an inch deep. When I fill any pot with coco, I lightly tap the container on the ground till the coco quits coming out of the drain holes - couple of taps is all it takes. That tells me the coco has settled nicely, just to the point of holding onto itself - sort of, hehe. mostly... LOL. I never press on the top of the coco - as that tends to tighten the coco unevenly from the top down - sort of, hehe. mostly... Bigger containers - I tap once at half full and two or three times at full. Been workin for me better it seems - my two gallon pots are stayin really moist in between waterings - tops never dry out even with the force six breeze I've got goin in the grow room. Tells me there's good contact of coco particles with each other - sort of, hehe. mostly...

I use a 60mL PEG tube syringe to do a lot of things in my grow room and filling coco pots with their first water is one of them. Here's how confident I am in Canna's coir - I only put enough water into these 4" seedling pots to get water just coming out of the bottom of the pots. I can get 10 of these pots into a germination tray if I put a piece of styro underneath the middle two - bar trick... It normally takes about 90mL of water - I use ro but ya don't have to. No nutrients!!! Nuttin - nada . . . damn thing, lol. When I start gettin just a little seepage out of the bottom, I recommend govt cheese... gettin a little twisted hehe... I stop puttin water into the little pots. The small amount of water I do end up with in the germ tray is just what it takes to keep the humidity high enough to keep the coco wet with a high dome lid on them - REMEMBER - coco won't ever get too moist to germ or grow, IME. Well, as long as you've got good drain holes and ya don't let the pots stand in water...

I take medium weed stem - seem to always be able to come up with that... and I make a hole in the center of the pots to a depth of about 3/8 inch. I then place the seed in the hole with tweezers - sideways... Think about it a minute, hehe... The fuggin seed know which way to go. Point this shit up and this shit down... my anus IMO, of course and I may be full of poopoo, lol.

Most are up in a couple of days.

Seedlng stage:
BOG HINT - whatever... - gettin fairly toasted folks - this thread may just turn into one long smoke report:rofl: Cut and paste would be an alternative for some...

I keep watering with RO till I see the first three finger leaves start really spreading out. I take the dome lids off as soon as the seedlings look like they can handle the breeze in the mom/seedling/clone room/closet/area. Till then, I leave the dome lid on and I don't have to water them to keep them moist. Once the lid comes off, I'll let the pots get really light between waterings till I see roots coming out of the bottom of the pots. After I see roots and those first three finger leaves spreading out, I add 1-1.5 mL of canna's rhizotonic - sp - to a gallon of ro water and start my nutes with this. From the time the lid comes off, forward- I water to at least a 20% runoff, every time I water.

I use my syringe to water the seedlings with and can get by with going about 3 days in between waterings for the first few. Pots are really, really light - roots are heading for the bottom - I think, therefore they are...

Veg:
I'm good for now on the bong hits...

I just put 9 Holy Grail plants into flower, under 1k hps. Since I planted the seeds in the coco about 7 weeks ago, I've had them under 4 strips of an 8 strip t5 fixture - with the light about 18 inches from the pots. I continued to feed with rhizo till I got a couple of solid internodes - ramping up the dose to about 5-6 mL per gallon by that time. Then I make the switch to a 50/50 mix of tap/ro water and Canna's A and B. My tap ec is fairly shitty so I cut it and it's less shitty. - when I make the transition from rhizo to a and b, I start out with 1.5 mL of each.

When I mix my tap 1:1 with ro, my startin ec of my feed water is around 0,2 - shitay fo sho, but it works in coco. I generally increase my nutrients at a pretty good pace as long as the young plants aren't too dark green or showing tip burn - and lately, I seem to have a rhythm goin, hehe. In the 5 weeks I've considered these plants to be in veg, I've gone from an beginning ec of 0.2 to 0.9 when I took them out of 20/4 and began flowering them under the 1k hps a few days ago. That's probably workin out to about 3-4 mL per gallon of water.

Flower:
BHoNG IT - I'll quit with that now maybe.

I expect these new flowering plants to end up as moderately heavy feeders and end up at an ec of about 1.5 but I prob ought to research it for the billionth time so I can forget it by the next time I need to know it. Looks like they're heading that way though.

Shit - stick a fork in me

Hope this kinda answered some of what you were asking, whatever that was, lmfao... No seriously, it gave me a chance to kind of explain how I'm growing... the two part makes it really easy.

That's why I use coco specific nutes. I just spend less time working at growing I would think...

well mojo, thankfully i did'nt learn the hard way, but man this is spot on.

i was hand watering a 1 gal neb and for the last several weeks only watering every other day. when i was feeding, i'd peak around 1200, but towards the end more like 7-9.
7 days of plain water (without very much runoff). i decided to check the run off of a few girls that are getting close...

1800! this just blew me away, especially since i hadn't been feeding every time through out the bloom...

from what very little i've seen, if the plant was healthy and had a good root system, you'd spend as much time and money on crap to break all that down and flush it as you would to just buy a new bag or brick...

lookin forward to hearing what folks with some experience have to say...:study:

Gonejah, lol. That's exactly what happened to me when I hand watered a whole grow and that's why I checked that first runoff every 2 or 3 days - more often if I noticed a trend in the pH or ec. The whole time I was checkin this runoff, folks were evolving their thinking more along the lines of checkin first runoff as being worthless bullshit. Thought about stoppin so folks would stop pointin at me on the beach - think that's why they're pointing at me anyway... But I'm going to keep doing it whenever I hand water... to waste... if I ever do that again...

Actually Gj, I still hand water to waste for about a third of the grow. Cause I water the plants by hand all through veg under the flos. I haven't been checkin runoff though, hmmmm. Maybe I don't need to anymore, lol.

Listen to what happened this grow... if ya want to. The HG showed signs of Ca def early on - like with the second set of leaves... maybe half the plants did and half didn't. So I thought I'd do the unthinkable for me, I pulled my quart of Cal-Mag off my weed-killer shelf and gave them a hit of it, knowing it wasn't a pH problem and I'd just started the a and b thing so I just left out the a and fed them a little Cal-Mag - made them a prettier yellow. Stopped that and just upped the runoff, knowing that they'd work through whatever was goin on, hehe. I'm gonna laugh my ass off for real if they just turn out to be variegated phenos.

The nine Nebula a week or so behind these - same bag of canna coco - same amount of water - same nutrient level - same tray under the same light - no signs of any def whatsoever - go figure.

Anyway, I've got the HG in the tray now and they're coming around now that they're on two a day water cycles. Once they get in the tray, ya pretty much own their asses. Hand watering still keeps me on my toes, my friend... I learn every grow.

peace bro

:$1::$1: MOJO is why my grows going so smooth lately :kizz: ROCKKKK ON
st, thanks but you sure you got the right old stoner? Seriously, if anything I say can be understood by anybody to the point of helpin out, it did as intended. I try to have a lot of fun and be myself around here and I appreciate the folks just lettin me be as long as I don't hurt anyone, lol. Btw, I've been sayin this same old shit for a long time so what I'm sayin isn't the reason your grow's goin so good. You're the reason your grow's in good shape, my friend. You're like me, you read, you experiment (with a condom), you use some of what somebody says and you go with your gut on the rest of it... It's workin for you because you're stayin in front of it, dude. That's cool shit

peace bro

nice thread mojo! great for us newbies to coco. here we dont have the uncompressed stuff. alls we got is the bricks and they are super salty! needing to rinse a lot before usage. any comments on this? where could i find the good ones? perhaps internet ordering?

righteous on the light scheduling. the 20/4 ive used that for many years with great sucess. wonderful thread. good work.

aloha, DFH

aloha, dhf... I won't use any other schedule either, hehe. Glad you've enjoyed it so far.

Freight will eat ya up if you have it shippe to you...

On the bricks, somebody else will really need to give you the low-down on the specifics of doing that - but if I didn't have anybody to ask, here's what I would do. I'd put a little screen mesh over the drain in my bathtub, drop the bricks in there and fill it with hot water. Let em soak for an hour and drain for an hour. Repeat this and then stick a meter to it. I'd stop when I got as close to 100ppm as I could. Water though, is really pretty inefficient by itself at pulling salts out of coco. I'd recommend Clearex to help pull those salts out if you can get ahold of some.

Once you've got the ec of the coco down, you'll still need to water to at least a 20% runoff, imo. Others here can set ya on the right course if I've sent ya off somewhere else, hehe. Actually, now that I think about it, being able to only buy coco that had to be rinsed might be the one thing that caused me to reuse my coco. Once you've got the salts cleared out, it would be nice to not have to do that for a few more grows, I'm thinkin out loud here, hehehe. Might wanna run some enzyme product through that coco late in the grow to start breakin down the nasties that have gathered during the grow and the rotting root matter left in the pots after removing the previous plants.

TMI? Just felt like talkin...

Keep what makes sense to ya everybody, and toss the rest. Anyone that wants to can toss a different idea than mine out here... I'm in learnin mode...

I just previewed this post and holy shit! too long to edit, you're on your own...

peace

Im hopeing to try my hand at coco. Im not sure why at this point other than something differant I suppose. Ive been doing as much reading about it as possible and for some reason have not seen this thread til now. I hope any of these questions are not redundant for you.

1. If someone were to ask you your opinion on why they should use coco for a medium what would your response be? Why did you start using coco as a medium?

2. Coco is basically a combination of hydro and soil/soiless true or false?

3."If watering by hand, it's ok at this point to water every other day if you want. The plants aren't using enough of anything to run out of it in two days". Are we watering with straight ph'd water here or water with ferts in it?

4. A few places in your write up I get the feeling you are careful not to disturb the coir particles? Am I reading to much into that or is that one of the objects with coco? Like keeping a undisturbed coco clump for lack of a better term? I understand we dont want to disturb root systems regardless just seems you are taking extra care by watering with syringe and such.

Again I hope my questions are not too redundant Im sure I will be reading through this several times.

Thx

BCW1's post and questions are in blue;

Im hopeing to try my hand at coco. Im not sure why at this point other than something differant I suppose. Ive been doing as much reading about it as possible and for some reason have not seen this thread til now. I hope any of these questions are not redundant for you.

1. If someone were to ask you your opinion on why they should use coco for a medium what would your response be? Why did you start using coco as a medium?

I started using coco because after researching it, I thought it yielded more. Plain and simple... It's after I got my first grow under my belt that I realized its benefits, one of the foremost being it's controllability. It adds nothing to the plant to speak of other than its ability to support the plant's root system structurally and provide it with a place to eat. It does both of those exceptionally well. The grower determines what the plant gets to eat and the environment that it gets to eat in - and changing the nutrient level you feed at can be as spontaneous as deciding to raise the nutrient level right after you've fed at the old rate --- mixing a new batch of nutes and immediately watering with that. There are a lot more reasons but I continually speak about the benefits of coco and if you didn't get that out of my sorry ass grow guide, then I didn't do too good a job of writing it, lol...

False - In my opinion, growing in 100% coco the way I and so many others here do it, is hydro. Unless ya add soil... lol. Then you've got something in between, hehe.

Coco coir is made from the shells of coconuts basically. We use it to grow our plants in. When I talk of growing in coco, I talk about using it without the addition of soil or anything else cause that's the way I grow in coco. In my opinion if you put anything else in with it, you're growing in coco/???? and not coco. Kinda like sayin ya grow in peat when ya grow in peat and soil, hehe... Not trying to be elitist, just clarifying a little... Purist, for sure - but not elitist...

I've never felt the need to add anything to it but others here use it as a mix and have excellent results.

3."If watering by hand, it's ok at this point to water every other day if you want. The plants aren't using enough of anything to run out of it in two days". Are we watering with straight ph'd water here or water with ferts in it?

Sorry, I couldn't make out the question...

I recognize that as probably being something I wrote but I couldn't find where I'd written it... maybe a volume, chapter, page and paragraph where it's located?... LOL

So, never let the coco dry out even on top. However often you need to water to get that to happen is cool... If you do water by hand and have a large enough pot to keep your plant alive for the days you don't water it, sure you can water every other day. You will get some ec buildup quicker the longer you go between waterings/feedings. Eventually you'll need to either up your runoff, flush, or do a heavy feeding to move the salts out of the coco that have built up. I've done it that way and think hand watering is the ultimate in stayin in touch with the plants... but recirculating drip is a lot less labor intensive, lol.

Don't know what you were asking about pH'd water...

4. A few places in your write up I get the feeling you are careful not to disturb the coir particles? Am I reading to much into that or is that one of the objects with coco? Like keeping a undisturbed coco clump for lack of a better term? I understand we dont want to disturb root systems regardless just seems you are taking extra care by watering with syringe and such.

Nope, you're not readin too much into that. Coco is easily displaced right after being put into the pot - and all those little microscopic root hairs that are doing the eating for the plant tend to get ripped off if you jerk them around in their medium. Turn a circulating fan onto a new clone and the wobble of the stem will actually rip off some of these little hairs and set its growth back... So I don't like to disturb the root mass at all.

My guru used to always tell me "roots in coco don't like bubbling water" or some shit like that, hehe. But that's what he was getting at.

Once the roots get established in the pots, they do an excellent job of holding the coco together. And the roots get established in coco at a really fast pace. Once the coco settles into the pot, it stays in place pretty well, then the roots grab hold - but I still take it easy when watering. The roots do such a great job of holding things together that they will actually pull the coco in on the sides and create a gap between the coco and the pot sides. This only happens when ya go too long between waterings though, and I think it's the plant's effort to pull the medium tighter to retard the evaporation of whatever water's left in there. I may be full of shit, but that's what I'm thinking anyway, hehe. Also thought it might be due to actual shrinkage of roots due to their loss of moisture - but watering never causes that shrinkage to reverse totally and I can never get the pots as heavy with water as I did before that, which tells me that if ya let the pots get too dry and the sides of the coco shrinks in, you'll never be able to get as much water in those pots again... And letting the pots get too dry must open up some pretty large crevasses in the coco cause the water seems to want to just run through it - FAST.

Anybody else got any ideas on why that would happen?

If I don't water slowly with my syringe, I will float all the coco out of the pots, lmfao... as it is, I can start unloading it too quickly and I'll watch the top quarter inch of coco float a little, hehe. I've got water coming out of my water lines and it even tunnels into the coco a little. Course I just whacked the ends off the hoses a couple of grows ago and I'm just letting them run wide open into the pots - 2 per pot. They stay in one spot during the whole grow unless I make one pop out of the pot by messing with it too much.

Again I hope my questions are not too redundant Im sure I will be reading through this several times.

Not at all... read away, and thanks for stoppin by.

very nice thread mojo!!!great that you opened it up for questions and discussions.....

I'm a sucker for punishment, hehe. Hope you'll step in and answer some questions for the folks, mtf-shaman - plenty of abuse for all, I'm sure. LOL. You're welcome here any time...

peace

Last edited:
was hand watering a 1 gal neb and for the last several weeks only watering every other day. when i was feeding, i'd peak around 1200, but towards the end more like 7-9.

That's exactly what happened to me when I hand watered a whole grow and that's why I checked that first runoff every 2 or 3 days - more often if I noticed a trend in the pH or ec. The whole time I was checkin this runoff, folks were evolving their thinking more along the lines of checkin first runoff as being worthless bullshit

I should also say that i rarely had my 10-15% runoff.

With this 1 gallon bag for the past 3 days, I flushed with at least 2 gallons of water with 200 ppm tap water until the runoff was < 300.

1st day it was near 1800
2nd day near 800
3rd day near 450

I'm amazed that it's still this high after 3 straight days of all that flushing. I think I'm gonna have to hand water until I can get a better idea of how to keep this in check...

she did alright, but i'm worried she's not gonna be smooth and grey...

nice write up mojo . i was thinking giving coco a try . this is a great guidline.. thanks:up:

Thanks, fc... I know it must be hard to sift through all the info out there - especially the helter skelter way I tend to string info out, lol.

If you or anybody decides to go coco, start a thread about it and ask questions if you feel you need to. Tons of folks here to help out. Or like you, if you're an experienced grower in other mediums and just have a couple of start off questions, PM somebody and ask.

At any rate, I and the others who grow in coco know you're in for a pleasant surprise when ya decide to take the coco plunge. Folks who make the switch are always glad they did - if they don't try to treat it like soil, that is... LOL. Only reason I'm here is to help... Seriously...

Put the Nebula into their tray last night. 9 plants of each - Holy Grail are in one tray and Nebula are in the other. Nothin in the mom/clone/veg room right now since I shit canned the diesel mom due to diesel's tendency to cross dress... I'll take some pics tonight when the lights come on.

peace

coco fiber is a soiless media.. soil is dirt from the earth.. soiless is stuff that is not dirt from the earth.. moss bark trees shrubs husk from coconuts perl rockwool hydroton.

Hydroponics is a technology for growing plants in nutrient solutions (water containing fertilizers) with or without the use of an artificial medium (sand, gravel, vermiculite, rockwool, perlite, peatmoss. coir, or sawdust) to provide mechanical support.

: the growing of plants in nutrient solutions with or without an inert medium (as soil) to provide mechanical support

Hydroponics (from the Greek words hydro (water) and ponos (labour)) is a method of growing plants using mineral nutrient solutions instead of soil.

hydro is aero, nft, dwc, etc.

forgot to add that i consider hydroton and rockwool by themselves hydro as well. But i do not consider coco hydro by any means.

Last edited:
That's what I thought - hydro is a method of growing...

If I just let my recirc system run continuously, then would it be hydro... I could do that, ya know?

Not sure but we may be pickin nits here... I'm not seein much diff if I take your definition of "with or without the use of an artificial medium." Why are vermiculite, rockwool, perlite and peat in the list of acceptable hydro mediums and not coco? Peat isn't even inert, imo.

Consider it as you like - cause that's what I'm gonna do, lol... I don't think the plants give a shit how we view what they're growin in - long as we keep piping food to them... I'm not the first or the only grower to put coco coir into the hydro category... But I don't think it matters much what I call it - as long as I keep pullin good weights at harvest - lol.

At any rate, no need for a continuing debate on it, I'm thinkin... hehe

nolo contendere

peace

Last edited:
BCW1's post and questions are in blue;

False - In my opinion, growing in 100% coco the way I and so many others here do it, is hydro. Unless ya add soil... lol. Then you've got something in between, hehe.

Coco coir is made from the shells of coconuts basically. We use it to grow our plants in. When I talk of growing in coco, I talk about using it without the addition of soil or anything else cause that's the way I grow in coco. In my opinion if you put anything else in with it, you're growing in coco/???? and not coco. Kinda like sayin ya grow in peat when ya grow in peat and soil, hehe... Not trying to be elitist, just clarifying a little... Purist, for sure - but not elitist...

I've never felt the need to add anything to it but others here use it as a mix and have excellent results.

this is why!! ive seen comments like this from you repeatedly.. if i put a pot of coco on a table and hand water it is it hydro?? HELL NO its not.. dont make me quote where you said blah blah hand wating cause its there.. EVERYTHING that is NOT SOIL is SOILLESS. quit calling growing in coco hydro and ill quit correcting the shit. maybe you were confused on what soilless meant i cant tell by reading the post but..

: having, containing, or utilizing no soil

btw the reason i nit pick is because this shit is stickied up and it is the only sticky and has some bs info in it.

another thing Fuck coco specific nutes.. why do we have to use coco specific nute you keep pushing?

Again, coco specific nutes provide everything the grower needs for the grow if tap is used. If grower's choose to go with non-specific nutes, that's their prerogative. Others don't and supplements will need to be added. You're free to grow the way you want... I merely recommend them for their ease of use for the new grower and for those experienced growers like myself that have had such good results that they see no need to change. I say in the guide that I realize other growers are not using coco specific nutes but I'm going to talk about them as if they're necessary in order not to confuse... Evidently I failed at that and confused you... lol.

You're right, your post did seem a little rude - defensive for sure... and that's not why I'm posting - not trying to piss anyone off - but shit happens, lol. I do give out information - and it's the best information I have in my brain pan... at the moment, lol... I'm always open to learning but I haven't been seeing anything that's anything other than opinion to make me alter my thinking... and we all have opinions. I'm open to learning and adjustin my way of thinking - I just need concrete, credible info for that to happen - not bits and pieces... I've always considered hydro as a separate animal and when I started growin in coco, the popular consensus was that is was a form of hydro... the guy that taught me agreed and he has grown in every way imaginable... so I took his, and other's, word for it.

Like I said, I'm open to learning but if we can't discuss it without gettin angry with each other, then my mind tends to go to other, less stressful tasks, hehe. I'm not angry, are you? Cause it sure seems like it.

Sorry you think my guide has bullshit in it - when I get firm info to support my changin it, I'll do that... Nothing in the guide is set in concrete - that's why I said it's a work in progress... It's better than what was up there when the forum was first opened up though - and I haven't heard of anybody fuckin up by using parts of it. Evidently my callin coco hydro hasn't set anybody back too much...

If any grower out there wants me to add to, take away from or amend the guide in any way, speak up and we'll talk about it...

I don't post in any thread and didn't post the guide because I think I'm top dog grower around here, laugh my fuggin ass off, lol... So if that's what's gettin ya so upset - take a deep breath, hold it... now exhale. I'm just another grower tryin to help...

After all is said and done, I'm not sure coco has ever formally been put into any category really. Who do I see about that? Maybe we oughta vote on it, lol. I'll go with the crowd... follower that I am...

I'll be happy to look at the guide again and remove any reference to coco being hydro, if it will clarify things. Its removal won't change the way I suggest growing, just the way I refer to coco in passing...

Edited: Here's the last lines in the guide and these were added a long time after the guide was originally written:

In this guide, I talk about coco specific nutrients as if they're the only way to grow in coco. They're not, as has been pointed out by others. I'm going to talk about them as though they were required though. Many growers are so familiar with what they've been using in other mediums that they're able to use what they're familiar with. They know the plants so well they're able to spot deficiencies and alter their feeding regimen to take care of the problem. In my opinion, it's best to start out with nutrients that are designed for the medium so these trace elements and minerals are supplied by the coco nutrients they're giving.

So I'm going to continue to refer to coco specific nutrients like they're gospel. When the new grower becomes experienced enough to argue with the basics, they ought to be knowledgeable enough to handle any problem before it becomes a crisis. Makes sense to me. So go grow, learn as you go, and then come back and start arguing, lmfao. That is if you feel like arguing - but I bet you'll be able to see why I've written this guide as I have and you won't feel the need to make ripples in the water.

I'm continuously havin to clean up some mess I've made and will be happy to tidy up the guide if and when I see it creating problems. Some have told me it's helped them and that's the entire reason I put it up there. Nothin worse than to spend money for seeds and equipment. Then put in tons of time, just to have the grow go to crispy critters on ya. Hopefully, the guide has kept that from happening for some folks - maybe even one...

tranquillo hermano

Last edited:
One more thing, LOL. Always seems to be one more thing with me, hehe...

This guide wasn't put up their due to popular demand, lol. When FatJoe invited me over here from ICM, I jumped at the chance to bail from what I saw as a sinkin ship (ICMag) or at least one that was no longer "sea worthy", lol. Got to this wonderful site and lo and behold - no coco forum. I felt lost and asked for a coco forum - didn't know where to go... lmfao. We got one and I was like a kid in a candy shop, tryin to call attention to it and all - cause we all know coco is the bomb and everybody should be usin it, hehe...

We didn't get the forum cause I'm special or anything, lol. We got the forum cause, as far as I know I was the first to ask for it... I ain't nuttun special, bro... Just another coco warrior lookin for a space to set up shop, lol...

At any rate, main street of the forum had tumble weeds blowin right smack down the middle of it. FatJoe had asked me when I was still at ICM if he could post my guide and I said yes. But I beat him to it, lol... Once I got here, I discovered the place I want to stay, so I went ahead and asked that the guide be stickied so I would have some control over it. One of the reasons I came on over was to answer any questions it may cause in the grower's mind. It's been up there at the top for some time now and it began to bother me that others might think it a little snooty for me to have it up there, so I asked a while back if I should take it down. Nobody said yes and a couple of folks actually encouraged me to leave it up... so I opened it up to discussion...

If the guide is only gonna serve to piss people off or is constantly gonna be viewed as me tryin to say mine is the only way, I need to dispose of it - imo. I meant it to be a tool for someone to use in lieu of havin a warm body to ask for help... I'm free to be asked anything, and if I for sure don't know the answer, I'm gonna refer ya to someone, I'm certainly not gonna try to bullshit my way through it, lol...

peace

Back