HOW TO: Build a grow tunnel!

I had a bit of trouble learning to clone. Jiffy 7's and rooting gel is very easy and pretty foolproof, & cheap. You can use them for most types of hydro. Now is the time of year to stock up on the Jiffy 7 trays, they only keep them in the spring.

Don't worry about beans, I'm sure some folks around here will help you out with that. Btw, are you an indica fan or a sativa fan? You know some of us need meds for our bodies and some need it for our minds!! LOL

Tunnel shot

A bit overgrown this run, but yield should be quite good. They will be getting chopped within a week. There will be many 28+gram colas to trim soon. Hoping to finally break the 1 gpw mark this time.

This is "OG" (Original Girl, my indi dom bagseed). The cloner is filled with a well rooted batch of Golden Haze for the next run. Yum yum, a SOG full of pure cerebral sativa bliss!!

Sorry for the bad photo. the auto focus had a hard time dealing with the jungle from such a close proximity.

peace,
GM

Oh btw, the plant on the right corner (with a red marker in the net pot) is X13/Thai x City Lights (from Dman:)). It's a sativa dom which finishes in 60 days, and the high is "noteworthy" (Ask Bucky). I'm afraid the yield will be a little low this time, she's done better in pots and also great outdoors. I'll run a couple more with the GH for comparison. If you are looking for an Asian high that finishes in 60 days, this is it. F2's are around.

Last edited:
Decided to harvest today. Plants were falling over and the trics were turning cloudy. I only took the colas and left the rest to continue bulking up (I hope).

Thanks Keef Treeez!

Beautiful, Glassman... And a sog of cerebral sativa bliss sounds equally intoxicating :). You were right, one of the island folk came up to me at the cabana beach today and dropped some beans in my lap. People sure are nice around here... Anyway, planning is DONE, buying starts tommorow (buckets, more perlite, etc). The only thing left in question is how much space to leave beneath the lights now that I'm doing big un's instead of SOG. Also, my rosetta finishes in a couple days, and shes got a few seeds showing on her from the pollenation. Maybe I don't have to kiss these macro-worthy genes goodbye just yet after all.. I should expect very shaky results from these seeds though, yeah?
LSnB

Not necessarily, depends on the stability and variance of the two parents. I don't know much about Rosetta Stone, bit if it's an old IBL it should be pretty stable. The other half of the cross is a lottery really. Say you get lucky and both parents are stable, you will get three main phenos in the F1s - one male parent dom, one fmeale parent dom and a 50/50 one, with possibly a couple of other rarer phenos popping upo with recessive traits from either parent. if you do get lucky and this is the case, simply find both male and female of the Rosetta pheno to make the F2s. Recessive traits are more likely to appear in the F2s and this generation may be more varied. Again, selecting the Rosetta phenos in the F2s to make the F3s is the way to go. Then you might want to consider a backcross, it's a lot of work in all!

Hey buddha,
Unfortunately the seeds were sterile... The bud on the rosetta looked more than done so I cut her and it was too early for the seeds. Rookie mistake. I'll know for next time.

So you gonna build a tunnel, or what :)
LSnB

Fantastic thread!!

Forgive me if this has been asked before..... I've done a lot of SOG grows, in hydro, indoors. Once I got my licks down with strains, setup, and the like, I still relied on the ability to move the lights, on movers, up and down. Even when running 48 NL at a time, that I had priviously made at least 10 different runs with, I'm not sure that I could have set my lights and left them alone for the entire grow. I realise that proper ventilation is key, but is this really an issue inside the tunnel, or does the distribution of the light promote more even growth rather than straight up?

Thanks in advance,

12Oz

hey 12ozMouse, the tunnel can be adapted to be adjustable, but the detail work required to make it that way would be annoying and very time consuming. I could set it up and build it a couple different ways to make it adjustable but the main reason to make it fixed is because since you are in an enclosed space with Mylar everywhere the amount of light that the plants get is extreme and even throughout. You can actually see some of the plants on the outside grow better than the ones directly under the bulb. If you look at this shot from Keef Treeez old tunnel you can see that the rows along the sides actually get slightly more intense light than the center plants. :D Any more questions, feel free to ask. :thumleft:

Thanks, AS.

I noticed that the stuff you and others mentioned growing were pretty varied, so I figured that the excellent balance of light made them adapt to the space pretty well. So really, you just pretty much grow what ever strain you want in there?

I just love a project and have been checking out your thread here pretty seriously. I saw how you made your tank, I may have missed the size, how many gallons does it hold?

Excellent picture, BTW, and it is pretty cool the way the plants on the sides respond to the reflected light. Thanks..

12Oz

Well, you can grow any strain to a point. The tunnel is more designed for indicas or hybrids but a straight Sativa would be impossible because of the size constraints. Depends on which tank you mean. The reservoir was if I remember correctly between 40-50 gallons. The store bought reservoir was a 50 gallon but only held 35-40 because of holes in the handles put there by the factory. They could easily have been covered though with silicone or something.

If you dont mind my interjecting, AS,
Straight sativas, IMO, aren't impossible, just a hell of a lot more work. I'm growing one very sativa dom plant and I have to break branches like its nobody's buisness, not to mention my tunnel is about a foot taller than the one mentioned here. So I still wouldn't reccomend it, but if you get crafty you can pull it off.
LSnB

Thanks, AS, Baggins.

I wasn't particularly planning, nor do I now, grow more than the occasional pure sativa, but was more just thinking back at the stuff that has been the mainstay of my gardens. In other words, I'm just trying to get my head around this concept. Mostly cause I really like the looks of it and also, I need a project.

Right now I'm just trying to think how i would transition in my particular room. It just seems to me that the possibilities of getting more, for less energy are really high with the tunnel.

Thanks again for your answers....

12Oz

this is quality i really like this idea might hav 2 give it a whirl wen im more sorted in my living arrangements :)

(This is Agent-Smith posting on Triiniity till my account gets figured out)

Here are some pictures of the new tunnel I am working on right now:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks THCstaind :D

It's Epoxy paint for aquarium use so it will not fluctuate the pH or leach chemicals into the water. I decided to use this stuff because I was sick of the pond liner I was using. When I tried to clean it, it would never come clean enough because I couldn't reach all the little cracks and crevices so algae would invade the new nutrient solution and grow pretty fast requiring me to change the pond liner after every grow. That gets expensive quick. So I decided to try out this stuff which would make the tray way easier to clean and I don't have to redo pond liner every couple of months. It is just one of the many things I changed about this tunnel compared to my last as you can no doubtedly tell from the pictures.:D

Back