GM's Sativa SOG

Looking great GM! If those trainwrecks get floppy, you're going to put your contortions to the test reaching in there. Nice to see a tunnel in action. Didn't Hellboy run a tunnel as well?

I can raise the reflector/hood which makes it easier, but you're right it get tricky to reach the far side. The table is built on wheels, so it's possible to roll it away from the wall so I can squeeze in if I have to. It's a bit of a hassle...

I use wooden slats running across each row for support. I can also run them down the length too, to form a grid. I'm considering adding a second rail above the first one to add more support for the TW. I'm sure I'm in for some learnin'. :hmm: :scratch:

Started the 12/12 light cycle today.

Posting a pic of the SOG as of today. A pic of a TW, showing a twisted leaf that I read is a trait. A pic of a Thai w/ a blue label. The Thai's are quite vigorous.
(there are a couple of tiny plants in the center of the field that I'll remove when I raise the reflector & add some supports.)

Also made a mini bubbler for the Endless Sky runt cut, and a healthy cut. The runt is only about 1" tall, but is green & has some roots. The healthy ones aren't very fast growers either. Hoping they'll eventually get going... Strange how some strains are picky about their nutes, while others jam on the same juice.

{Btw: The lighting appears brighter in the center because there's an HPS in the center and there is MH one each end.}

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN1572.jpg
    DSCN1572.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN1565.jpg
    DSCN1565.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN1571F.jpg
    DSCN1571F.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN1567.jpg
    DSCN1567.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Sweet set up Glass Man. Are there sprayers underneath or is it dwc? Forgive me. I have only grown hydro once. ..with some success until my rez water got too warm. :puffpuffpass:

There are cpvc tubes one each end with about 8 small holes drilled along them. (I began with spray nozzles, but they clogged & I just removed them.) When I first load it the water level is kept high because some of the roots are short, so the bars are submerged & don't spray. I lower the water level after a week or 2, and then there's a pee-like stream from each of the 16 holes. There are also about 8 air stones in the table too.
The drain is in the center, along the pump side for access, which goes into the res that's about 100 gallons. Heat has never been an issue, but it never gets hot here. Our house doesn't need an A/C.

The setup is all DIY, except for the net pots. The table & res are plywood lined with black 6 mil poly.

The twisted leaves have mostly straightened out & look normal now, except maybe the one I took a pic of, which was the worst one. They've all stretched a good bit & I cleaned away the lower growth on them yesterday (except the ones in the far back side that I couldn't quite r-e-a-c-h. Gott'a squeeze back there in the morning.)

The Endless Sky runt is still looking about the same. The healthy one next to it in the mini bubbler is looking great. It looks better than the ones in the tunnel that are flowering. Not sure what's up with them. They all have unusual ruffly leaves.

The Sativas are almost ready to plant. The rooting %'s weren't so good, but I have at least 3 copies of each except one which I only got 1 clone of. (MG #6). I was lazy and failed to bleach out the cloner from the previous batch. :( Live & learn...

The Thai X13's are looking very healthy, except one that's the short stocky one. They also root bushy roots quickly.

I'll get some pics soon.

Sounds great GM - must be fun to be running out of the ole Mongrel groove, keeping you on your toes, thinking, watching, adjusting, _learning_ bv il, - I hope you are also rewarded with a wonderful choice of highs.

TW twisted on me until happy in growth then took off........this was outdoors last season........

Look forward to more GM...........

ganj on.............

Update shot. Close up of pretty Thai X13 leaves.

Added more wooden slats running perpendicular to create a grid, after I shot the photo.

Attachments

• DSCN1590.jpg
    DSCN1590.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN1596.jpg
    DSCN1596.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 2
Here's a shot of an Endless Sky. It's not a happy plant. :(

I'm not sure what it needs, but something's off. The copy in veg under the floro looks much better. I'll worry about it more after it shows some pistils.

Attachments

• DSCN1577.jpg
    DSCN1577.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 6
Switched lights to all HPS (600+400+600).

Tried to determine the sex of the X13 today. It's been a while since I have sexed plants and my eyesight isn't was it used to be, but I wore my readers and checked. I saw a tiny pistil on one of them.:) I couldn't be certain about the others, but I'll be checking closely until I can tell.

The Endless Sky are so fugly it's going to be a challenge. I might just remove them, so I don't have to worry about em'.

I was finally able to sex the Thai X13's. 3 Females & 1 Male. :)

The first female was easy to see a few days ago, and then the male was easy the next day, but damn if I didn't about go cross-eyed trying to tell what the other two where. Got reading glasses, but I'm getting sick of crappy eyes!

Even though the ES looks so malformed I've left them in hoping to at least determine if it's female. I checked and, I may be wrong because it was very hard to tell, but I think it's a female too. Strange thing is the ES that is veggin' is looking much healthier and almost normal. Here's a couple of pics of the one veggin'. (a little fuzzy) Sort'a ruffly leafed, but not too bad. Maybe there's hope for this one. I may try it in a planter outdoors, or maybe share some cuts with somebody with a "green-er thumb" than I have. It's odd to me that I'm feeding it the same nutes as the ones in the flower bed, but it looks so much better. I can't imagine that it's allergic to HIDs!

Maybe it needs to mature more, like Castroman was saying about the Sativas.

Attachments

• DSCN1602.jpg
    DSCN1602.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN1603.jpg
    DSCN1603.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 3
Here's a few update shots.
The little guys are the Malawi Gold and the Santa Marta Gold. The large ones are my #3 MG, which I am considering pruning down to a similar size as the others. Otherwise they will get huge.

The full tunnel view is of the TW, which have stretched a lot, but are still standing upright. I can only raise the lamps a bout 5" more, then I may have to train the taller ones. I'm considering adding a higher level of support slats.

The top view shots of the Thai X13, just showing how pretty the leaves are. They are shorter & stockier than the TW. Their pistol development is a bit behind the TW also. I have 3 different female phenos (is that the right term? I just mean female siblings) One is small and lacks vigor, but it's branchier and more compact, so I'm curious to see how it does. I think it could do better if it was closer to the lights, and had been vegged longer. So, maybe it isn't really a runt or a dud?
The other two are normal sized, one being a bit larger. I'm expecting the larger one has a higher yield potential, but if the other one has a better quality of high I will be happy to grow it.
These are F2s, so I expected variation in both the size & vigor, and also the buzz. So, I'll have to smoke test em' to decide which to grow again. I love looking at them, really nice color & leaves. :sniff:

Attachments

• DSCN1607.jpg
    DSCN1607.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1608.jpg
    DSCN1608.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1609.jpg
    DSCN1609.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1610.jpg
    DSCN1610.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 1
Well ?
How high did the trainwrecks stretch ? Any room left in there ? . :scratch:

They have maxed out the headroom, but I think they have finished. I need to install that extra level of support. I will get out to the shop and rip up a couple of 2x4's today, so I'll have them ready in the morning.
The plants look good, but I'm still battling a lingering bit of PM. I've been away for 3 days, and will have to be doing that for the next few months. (Helping my Dad who's old & needing a care giver, but his house needs a lot of attention before we can get one in.)
I think I can spray them with Green Cure every 3-7 days and still have a good harvest. Getting the support in place is more of a concern with these lanky gals.

The Thai X13 hybrids are so sturdy stemmed. Too bad TW doesn't have bug stems.

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. May be tricky to get a good shot now, since they so tall.

The sativas are looking good, but still quite small. That's fine, I'm in no hurry at the moment....

i started three malawi seeds got two females and kept the one female
hopefully i got agood pheno..like so many odf those seasian or taller africans there is a sweeter pheno and a more acrid one

the potassium bicarbbshould slow that pm down after couple applications..used correctly its pretty impressibe
all the best..i have four decent sized lemon thais that are in veg..i have hopes

I'm not sure how long it will take for the Malawi and the Santa Marta Golds to show their gender. I meant to make a note here of when I switched to flowering hours. I think it was about 1 week ago. Melon, I know you advised to begin flowing from day 1, but they looked so immature I just couldn't make myself. I had to see their new growth "reach" and perk up at least a little. I did prune the big ones (#3 Malawi). They are all packed under one 400w MH right now, but after they get bigger I'll spread them out and fire up some more lights.

I know this was supposed to be a SOG, but that obviously didn't happen. I'm sure it's for the best anyway. There are 13 Malawi and 4 SMG's. If I only get 4 females I'm sure they'd fill a 4x8 screen. I'm looking forward to watching them begin stretching and getting bigger.

Back