GM's Sativa SOG

Glass Man

Weso & Melon's sativa threads have inspired me to get back into growing Sativas. I've been monocropping the same strain, Buckwheat's" Mongrel", for a long time and I'm excited to be cracking some beans again. I don't have a safe addy right now, so I'm limited to my old seed stash. The only pure Sativa that I remembered having is Malawi Gold, but I had a pack labeled "Santa Marta Gold" that I'd wondered about, but sort of had forgotten. I did a search here and realized that it's a Columbian Gold, which I'd been wanting to try for a long time....and didn't realize that I had it! I also have a Sativa hybrid with Thai that Dman gifted me years ago, but I can't remember the exact name (my abbreviations confused me!?). But it finishes quick and doesn't stretch too much. The buzz isn't overpowering, but I remember laughing every 30 minutes for hours after a joint. I figured I need an easy one to grow in the mix. I also had some Cambodian Flyer from Hort, but decided to let it wait till another time, because of space limitations.

And I found 2 Endless Sky beans which I decided to pop too, just cause I had them.

Here's the bean count.
Malawi Gold - 10
Santa Marta Gold - 6
Thai hybrid - 5
Endless Sky - 2

I placed them on damp paper towels in separate baggies, at about 10 A.M. 12/8/2015.
Checked them this morning and one of the SMG beans has already cracked open. :up:

From Melon's description the SMG sounds like a good one for indoors. Don't know about SOG style, but I can increase the spacing. My height limit is about 32", which will be tricky.

I tried Golden Haze once, and it seemed okay for SOG. So, we'll see how it goes with these. I'm mainly worried about the MG since it gets huge outdoors. If it won't work in the SOG setup I'll find an outdoor home for it in the Spring after getting them sexed & cloned.

My SOG setup is a Grow Tunnel, which was developed by Keef Treez about 10 years ago. It's a 4x8' recirculating hydro table with a full sized reflector that completely covers the table, with 3 HID bulbs. I begin with 2-400W MH + 1 600w HPS in the center, and switch to 2-600w HPS + 1 400w HPS for flowering. So, the total watts is 1600 over 32 sq ft.
The Grow Tunnel has 72 sites using 2" net pots that are filled with pea gravel. There is a 100+ reservoir under the table, and the table is 5" deep, with air stones. It's a simple setup that works well.

I'll post some pics as things progress.

I don't know if the genetics are especially noteworthy, but wrestling them into the 32" of headroom will be interesting.

SMG update: it's been 23:30 hours and 5 of the 6 beans have already cracked open! None of the other strains have at all. Melon said he only ran the SMG twice, so my hopes aren't as high for it now, but obviously these Beans are Demanding a chance.

My space is limited, so I'll have to be creative deciding how to get all these strains sexed. I recently was gifted a few Train Wreck clones, so they will go in one Grow Tunnel while I'm sorting these out. I have a second Grow Tunnel that will be empty in about 7-8 weeks, so that's were these will get their first test run. I run the SMG & MG separately from the other 2 strains since their flowering times are a lot shorter.

You can tell I didn't put a lot of thought into this.....yet! ;) lol

I'm pull up my comfy chair this should be very interesting so keep us informed :)

Endless sky, coffinman grew that, we kept a clone of her in 2003, she is powerhouse, he loved that plant, good luck with them

its good for sog gm..

gm there is smg=long flower thin lanky

smcg=bushier..9 -10 weeks shorter , still sativa

its good for sog gm..

gm there is smg=long flower thin lanky

smcg=bushier..9 -10 weeks shorter , still sativa

Melon,
Do you mean I might have phenos that are bushy or lanky from my batch of seeds? Or do you mean that there are 2 different cultivars, SMG is one and SMCG is the other, and it depends on which my seeds really are?

Last edited:
Germination update:

4 of the 5 Thai hybrids have tap roots & were planted today.
6 of the 6 SMG have cracked open & one has a tap root this morning.
0 of the 10 MG have cracked yet....
2 of the 2 ES has cracked (1 just barely showing)

The MG's are being a little stubborn.

I'll plant them when their tap roots are about 1/4" long.

Melon,
Do you mean I might have phenos that are bushy or lanky from my batch of seeds? Or do you mean that there are 2 different cultivars, SMG is one and SMCG is the other, and it depends on which my seeds really are?

well yes
if they are the smcg..and go 9-10 weeks..pretty good to good..there were yaller phenos but still fairly early

if smg they will all be giant all thin whispy long flower but if you can finish em ..a good to great high

if smcg 12/2 and sog

if smg ..do 10 hrs on and scrog

Last edited:
Well......little update:

Germination rates haven't been so good. Many of them cracked open, but failed to send out a tap root.
4 of 5 Thai Hybrids are planted and coming up, 1 seed never opened.
2 of 6 Santa Marta Gold are planted, 4 cracked open but didn't send out a tap root.
4 of 10 Malawi Gold are planted, 6 never even cracked open.
1 of 2 Endless Sky is planted, the other cracked but didn't send out a tap root.

I have 4 more Santa Marta seeds left. Have 100's of Malawi left.

I will keep watching the duds to see if any of them sprout, but don't expect any more to send out a root, especially the ones that already cracked open.

Since we'll be travelling over Xmas for 5 days I will wait until we return to try germinating any more. I will definitely try the remaining 4 Santa Marta Golds, since only 2 plants doesn't give me very good odds of a female. I'll probably try a few more Malawi, but 4 plants isn't a terribly low number, considering they are a land race, and should have uniform traits.

All I can do is "cross my fingers" and hope the Endless Sky is a female, and hope the remaining seed send out a root.

The seeds have been stored sealed in the fridge, and the Malawi Gold are from around 2007. Not sure about the Santa Marta Gold or the Endless Sky dates, but don't think that they are extremely old.

Edit: I placed the seeds under a clamp light with a CF bulb to warm them a little. I checked on them a couple of hours later and was surprised to find that 2 more of the MG had fully sprouted tap roots. Also I think the some of the SMG & remaining ES root tips seem to be moving slightly. Seems I was just being impatient. :)

Last edited:
Mini update:

9 of the 10 Malawi Gold have germinated. :) Half of them are about 2" tall, the other half are still wearing their shells.

Still only 2 of 6 Santa Marta Gold have sprouted. :( (I'm keeping the remaining 4 under a little heat lamp (just a CF spiral bulb) and checking a few times per day. The sprouted ones are about 2" tall.

1 Endless Sky is about 2" tall, the second one is barely poking above the soil & is still wearing the shell.

All 4 of the Thai Hybrids are about 2" tall.

The plan is to take cuttings asap. After they root I will place them all into the Grow Tunnel and immediately begin flowering them. I'll cull the males, and manage the remaining females the best I can. I expect it will be tricky, especially with the Malawi.
The Moms (and Dads) will be pretty large by the time the clones show their gender. They will have plenty of tips to cut by the time I have determined their sex.

I obviously need to make some SMG and ES beans if I'm lucky enough to get a male & female of each.

I'll remember the 10/14.

Annaba, did you run clones outdoors? Somebody said that they'd have a better chance of finishing than seedlings. I figure I'll try em' outdoors again with clones. I've got an ATV now and access to a warmer spot.

i have grown smcg three times..they are the shorter fatter colombians that you see women carrying in bundle in mid 70's HT photos
i had two batches given to me smcg and smg ..boy are they different
one was prob the commercial colombian and the other the "not"

anyway you will see what they are when you grow em out..and even gthe smcg had taller phenos...if you are growing the smg you will end up with skinny ultra whispy buds
on tall skinny skinny frames

but guess it depends on where they came from /who labelled them....my smcg came from the vibes collective and the smg came from gifted old strain seeds in a film cannister

Last edited:
the Schrom cut works well and is a good example of such............

ganj on..........

Schrom cut: never stops stretching. I guess that's the smg side of it showing.

Back