GM's Sativa SOG

All the punks (sounds like an appropriate name for em' now) were lookin' good this morning. All were thirsty, except the ES, so gave all another shot of the 600 juice.

(I saw a band on a college campus last night & am feelin' "hip") ;)

As I was feeling the pots' weight I decided to pinch most of them a second time. It will set them back a little while for my cuttings, but it will also bush em' up good bit, so they'll be good "temporary" moms after I've got em' sexed I figured the tips have to come from "somewhere, sooner or later" and sooner made sense at the time. (by temporary moms I mean they'll provide some cutting for a first round, but being lanky sativa seedlings won't be long term moms. They'll eventually get replaced by more compact clones.)

Air temp was 68f, after the other ballasts had been off for about 1 hour. Can't remember exactly what the hi/lo thermometer said the hi had been, maybe 72f.

Note: I realize this thread isn't exciting yet. I'm using it as a grow log for myself to refer back too also. I'd misplace paper notes, but this will be here 5 or 10 years later if I want to read over my old notes. (I've never had the best long term memory, and it's only gettin' worse...)

Changed my mind and decided to repot into the 4" deeper pots. Seemed like they were drying out too quickly and an extra 2" depth would have to help some. It was good that I did it before they got root-bound, so the roots will grow down into the fresh soil.

As I was repotting them I noticed a white spot on a mom next to the punks, hmmm? Looks a little like PM, but hopefully just a water spot or something. Went back this evening and checked better, and yes a little PM snuck into MY grow room! SOB!!

Have seen that chit in years. Guess I made the mistake of letting my room temp get too low....(Stupid me!!!) I sprayed all the moms & punks in veg down heavily with Green Cure (potassium bicarbonate) which worked great last time I had PM.
I checked the flowering gals too, but they looked clean. They're in the same room, only separated by a Panda film curtain, so I'll have to monitor them very closely til harvest. I bumped up the heat to 75f, and may turn it up more after I check the propane supply tomorrow morning. I think there's plenty, but up to 24" of snow is forecast tonight.

we are with you dude!

Thanks melon,

I checked em' this mornin' and everything looked fine. I've got the dehumidifier set at 40%, but the meter says it's around 50%? Maybe I should face a fan towards the dehumidifier to help it some.

I'm not worried. I caught it very early, and I've had great results with Green Cure in the past. I'll keep a close eye on it. It's easier to be diligent when there's a threat.

Here's a shot of a Malawi, about 10" tall now.

They are ready to get cutting from, but I haven't set up the cloner yet. Maybe I'll do that this evening, and place the cuttings in it in the morning.

One Endless Sky still looks bad, need to post a pic of it. (I sort'a have a f*ck-it attitude about it, since everybody else is fine, but that's not good...I should try to help it.)

I think all the plants with look a lot healthier after I get em' into hydro. I'm better with hydro than dirt. (usually)

Attachments

• DSCN1541R.jpg
    DSCN1541R.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 6
Since the sativas don't need any veg time I'll be cloning these in 2 batches. The first batch will be the ones that need a bit of veg, so after those root & get planted I'll put the sativas in the cloner.

That will give the Thai X13 , Endless Sky, & Train Wreck 7-10 days of veg time, while the Malawi & Santa Marta roots.

Yesterday I pinched the Santa Marta's some to get more tips to cut later, since there are only 2 plants to work with. That doesn't change the odds of having a female, but it does give more of each to work with when I determine what I have.

The malawi leaves are starting to grow very sativa looking, thin & delicate. SMG leaves are much wider. Thai X13 are a bit varied, the short compact one shows indica traits.

One Endless Sky is healthy looking. The other still has issues. I'm considering stripping the soil mix from it and transplanting it into a hydro bubbler that I have set up for moms. Maybe the nutes there will help it??

Thanks. No more signs of PM. I got on it early. Sprayed em' & cranked up the temp to 80f. But will be diligent about watching for it from now on.

Took cutting this A.M.
Labeled all the plants & made a list to indicate where each is located in the cloner.
Decided to go ahead and drop a few SMG cuts in since I wanted to prune them anyway. It will be nice to see how easily they root (or not), and will also be good to have a backup rooted.

I got one cutting from the unhealthy looking Endless Sky & 4 of the healthy one.

Got a mess of Train Wreck cuttngs, I think around 50. I'm not used to working with it, so I experimented some. There were a lot of stems that had leaves without growth tips next to them, that had me stratching my head. I figured I'd try a few of them and see if they will sprout growth tips, where they should have them. It's supposed to be a very easy to root strain, so I'm curious to see how they do.

I normally get decent roots within about 10 days with the Mongrel. I'm using a Dcyans style aero-cloner. 15 min on / 30 min off, under 2 T-8 tubes.

:yum:

No signs of roots yet.

The the plants are looking pretty good, except I noticed one Malawi has a leaf tip that curled down. (It's sort'a cute, but I know it's not a good sign.) Got'a read about that.

The crappy looking Endless Sky has sone healthy new growth at the tip, so it's still trying. (I should too...) The other one looks fine. Wish I knew if the healthy one is a female. Don't guess it matters for pollen, but it would be nice to taste the pure ES.

I'm running the dehumidifier heavy right now for drying, so I'll give the sick one some lime when I water it. Lime might help, right? :whistle:

Heading away tonight for a short tip off the hill. Tired of the snow. Need some pizza or BBQ. Sunshine & warmth will be nice too. Checking out another college for the girl. She's already visited about 8 of them....(only child!)

Thanks guys.

Checked the cuts tonight for signs of roots, but nothing yet. It's only been 4 days.

(I placed a couple Mongrel cuts in too, as a control group since I'm used to rootin' them. One of those had a white bump. )

All the leaves still look good & healthy, no wilting.

Forgot to mention earlier, I use Dip & Grow.

I placed the cuttings in the cloner on 1/26, so it's been 6 days.

Roots are beginning to appear. White bumps or actual roots are now showing on most of the cuttings. Actually I think all of them except the 1 sickly Endless Sky cutting.

Strangely only 1 or 2 of the Train Wreck bunch is showing signs of roots yet. I heard it was easy to root, but I guess not necessarily quick?

I'm curious to see how quickly the Malawi roots. They'll be large enough to take at least 4 cuttings from each of them.

Here's a shot of the roots. The first 3 rows on the right are the seedlings. The red stems are the Santa Marta Golds. The Thai are in the second row & the first 2 on the third row. That second row rooted quite well.

(The fat stems are a few jumbo stemmed Mongrels that I just wanted to see how well they'd root, since I had the extra space in the cloner.)

The TW's are being slow to root, but there are more tiny white root bumps showing, so I'm expecting to start seeing some growth in the next day or two.

I've been thinking about the best plan for growing these out. It seems like the Malawi & the Santa Marta will have about the same stretch & flowering times, so I'll grow them together in one space. The Thai X13's & TW will have similar stretch & flowering times, so I'll grow them in another space. The Endless Sky will go in with them too.

Attachments

• DSCN1551.jpg
    DSCN1551.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 7
I planted the clones yesterday (2/12).
52 Train Wreck
8 Thai x13 (2 each, of 4 different parents)
5 Endless Sky (4 of plant #1 and 1 of plant #2)

The Thai all rooted very well & look healthy.
The TW were very slow to root, and many had yellowing leaves. But nice roots.
The ES #1 is a healthy parent that rooted well. Hope it'sa gal.
The ES #2 is from the sickly parent that I was too lazy to try diagnosing & helping. (I an't lookin' to deal with raising special needs phenos! Everybody else likes my cookin' , sorry you've got issues.) I'm hoping the hydro nutes make it happy.

Overall the clones aren't very "pretty", so I'll wait a week or two and post before & after pics so we can enjoy their progress.

I'll load the cloner soon with the Malawi and more Santa Marta. The SM clones rooted well & look very healthy. I potted them up. Also heavily pruned the Thai parents to make them easier to keep & to promote branching, so I'll have good moms for cuttings after they show their sex. #4 is squatty slower growing pheno.

When I take cuttings from the Malawi I'll take 4 from each parent. (there's 7) I will pot up 1 and discard the parent, so they'll be more compact & branchier. I'll place 2 or 3 of each of the remaining ones in the hydro table to flower, and remove the males as they show.

I took cuttings from the 7 Malawi Golds and the 2 Santa Marta Golds. I got 8 from each.
Also got 4 more from the good Endless Sky, since the cloner had extra space & maybe it's a female.

Here's a shot of the SOG that I planted last week. The plants didn't look so great then, but are looking much better today 7 days later. Most of them are the Train Wreck. A few aren't growing and will be culled. A few are growing to fast & I'm going to prune them back a bit, since I need to gine the majority a little more veg time.

The plants that are closest to the camera & labeled with blue tape are the Thai X13's and a few Endless Sky. 3 of the Thai are quite vigorous, & one is a bit of a runt. The Endless Sky is slow to get going, and the one from the weak parent isn't growing much at all...but not dying. (I'll try to figure out a place to keep vegging it until it gets going or dies. Maybe a mini hydro bubbler of its own, under the floros with the moms.)

I'll report again when the cuts take root. :salut:

Attachments

• DSCN1552R.JPG
    DSCN1552R.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1564R.JPG
    DSCN1564R.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 7
Back