Getting my hands dirty again!

Just a little growing pains of getting back into things eh? You'll bounce back just fine I imagine. Need any seed stock hit me up ok..

luck bro

So now that I'm quite sure the ladies aren't going to up and die or show the plague, I think I'll turn this thread into a grow thread and document it. Why not? What else do I have to do?

I'm going to wait just a couple more days until the foliage gets a bit bigger and really starts chugging along in veg. They're almost there, 2-3 more days. Then I predict aggressive growth will commence.

In the meantime, here's Dark Heart's own promotional photo of this clone... hopefully my gals will end up looking something like this:

Strawberry-Banana-Dark-Heart-clone.jpg

Okay so here are the ladies, finally presentable. They've been in soil since November 20. They're starting to gain some momentum (finally!).

IMG_20201209_231828-resized.png
IMG_20201209_231851-resized.png

Eek! Just today I noticed Mg deficiency-looking spots on a couple of leaves, but since they're original/older leaves, I'm hoping it's just the plant's way of showing that they're hungry for nutes because they've used up what's in the 1-gal bags already. What do you guys think? (Sorry the pics are sideways, you know how that goes...)

IMG_20201211_151812.jpg

IMG_20201211_151851.jpg

After reviewing deficiency photos online, I'm now thinking calcium deficiency, which of course is linked to Mg and both can get fixed simultaneously. (hopefully)

If this turns out to be what it is, it means that the amount of calcium in Ocean Forest didn't even last the first 30 days in veg, more like 20. I guess I'm really rusty if I thought that clones would go for longer than this in a 1-gal bag... jeez

Last edited:
An emergency meeting of the secret NorCal ganja committee has taken place, and it's been declared that these things need to be upcanned immediately, which is about a week earlier than I had been thinking it would be happening, and was caught off guard. So tomorrow morning they go into their 7-gallon pots. They should be a lot happier after that.

And I won't trust the FFOF to provide nutrition beyond a short time window this time, maybe 10 days. My sense right now is that FoxFarm cheaps out on the oyster shell flour, which would be the only thing in it giving Mg and Ca.

Hey bro... I have been using Roots Organics for past 4yrs, found a place so close I had to pick up some Foxfarm's Strawberry Fields.. same issue and having problems with 2 cuts I
just rooted and placed in it. shows almost same as yours.. back to Roots Organics soiless medium for me.. If your gonna feed using FFOF, mix some Coir in with it.. the 2 work great
together if feeding.. better root growth..

Funny you mention that, Cartman, as that is my practice and was back when I grew on an 8-light scale as well. I just upcanned this morning, and added coco. Coir most definitely improves FFOF in a huge way with regard to aeration and cation exchange rate. I add about 10-15%, eyeballed.

I imagine it's a great component to add when the intention is to keep recycling and amending the soil, as it is here.

So here is a shot from Dec 17 late at night. It's a side-flap shot taken while I was adjusting something at the power strip. This is 28 days of veg (after being bought as clones in rockwool). They're in 7 gal pots. (They all just got topped yesterday, that's why they look empty on top)

View attachment 341972

Attachments

• 12-17-20-tent-shot-28-days-veg.png
    12-17-20-tent-shot-28-days-veg.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I just used a properly prepared aerated tea for the first time last night and WOW, okay now I see why people do this! They increased biomass like 10% in 12 hours. It was crazy. I'm definitely a fan of this technique now.

I used earthworm castings, kelp extract, Bio Bizz fish, Vegamatrix Boost (basically organic Cal-Mag), fulvic acid, and molasses. Bubbled it for about 24 hours with an aquarium heater keeping it 75°F. When I walked back into the garage about three hours after starting it, I was afraid it had gone anaerobic for a minute because I was hit by a big ammonia-like fish stink. But that was just the fish getting it on with the molasses and the air bubbles. The tea itself smelled good, like the castings.

Even though I started out this grow convinced I wanted to abstain from using any guanos in it, a buddy has me nearly convinced to use some High-P fruit bat guano in these teas a couple of times once I get into flowering, and after the growth surge I just witnessed, I'm not inclined to resist his advice.

That sounds great, Rev. Maybe wait until they finish stretching before you hit them with the guano. Week three of flower...?

That sounds great, Rev. Maybe wait until they finish stretching before you hit them with the guano. Week three of flower...?

Hell yeah, I've done my homework and I'm not giving any kind of bloom nutes until after the stretch is over. Made that mistake already years ago.

Right, I was thinking they'd get the guano tea twice in flowering... week three sounds good, right as they put it into gear with the puffballs, then the follow-up would be good at the point where I sense the flowering energy is nearing its apex, which will be unique to each strain and probably to each grow as well, but I remember that I could always feel when that moment was here. That was when I would give the second/last PK boost before.

Well sadly enough, something is really going wrong at day 3 of flowering and I don't know what it is... though I'm starting to suspect strongly that these clones actually did have that fucking hop latent viroid ("dudding") disease after all.

Variety, could you look at these pics and tell me if that's what it looks like? And anyone else, please chime in what kind of stupid nutrient defieciency this might look like. I'm not forgetting any mineral (like Mg for example) or blowing it with the nutes in any way that I know of, so I don't have a clue what their problem is if it's some kind of nute problem. The water I use is city water with plenty of Ca and some Mg, with a chlorine filter on it. The water's natural pH is about 8.0, but all the solutions or teas I've made to feed with have all been in the proper pH range (6.6-6.8) after I added nutes.

If it isn't the viroid, then this "living soil method" is too fraught with unknowns for me if they can suddenly look like this. I think I will end up running back to either coco or hydro here with my tail between my legs. But the reason I sort of suspect that it is the viroid is that I have never been able to get these clones to green up properly and get that healthy deep green color for even one day in 6 weeks of vegging. No matter how much fish I gave them, they would not grab hold of the N. In fact, at one point I tried giving a stiff dose of Shultz all-purpose salt nutes just to see if they'd react to the instant N... they didn't. That was when I knew something was weird.

IMG_20210111_172536.jpgIMG_20210111_172544.jpgIMG_20210111_172557.jpgIMG_20210111_172610.jpg

Frustrated emoji :aaargh:

Last edited:
Hard to say what's causing that, Rev. I feel your pain! The only thing you haven't mentioned in relation to the lack of deep green is Iron. It is needed to keep the leaves green. I doubt you have an iron deficiency, but I'm at a loss to explain the problem (unless it IS the HLV).
[MENTION=1541]Variety[/MENTION], what do you think?

i get that from time to time. I doubt its a virus, my friend. I would check temps, check the ph of the substrate and go from there.

Back