Getting my hands dirty again!

Reverend Budbreath

Red-eyed and mystified
Hey all, hope you've all been well. Sorry I always disappear and reappear like this. But I'm reappearing for a good reason... I'm finally growing again. First time indoors in like 8 years! And I associate the Cabana so strongly with growing that whenever I wasn't growing, it felt a little too sad for me to hang out here, if that makes sense.

The problem had been that the place I've lived in for the past 3 years doesn't allow growing cannabis, and even made me sign a special clause in the rental agreement that says I wouldn't do it. But recently, after paying $45 an eighth one too many times, I finally said you know what? Fuck it, I'm going to do it anyway! I can't keep putting money in others' pockets like this. I might as well spend money on grow gear and eventually I'll get it back through not paying pot stores.

That's the other factor—I can't stand most dispensary/delivery buds because they're always just too far along post-harvest, and have lost 80% of their terpenoid charms. The only way to get that super freshness is to grow it. I don't have to tell you guys that though. Also, I find that even with California's ostensibly strict testing and safety protocols for cannabis in place, I still worry a bit since I don't really know.

So if I'm very careful and discreet, I believe I can pull this off. It's basically an old-folks trailer park & house community (I rent a house in it) and the houses are quite close together, and lots of nosy old people. Well, I don't know how nosy they really are but I know that old ladies with nothing at all to do can get nosy about their neighbors. Anyway, I have to be really careful, not because of any criminal liability, ironically enough, but because the management may want to evict me if they find out.

I set up a 4x4 tent (it's a start...) in the garage and am going to grow in FFOF which will be amended and recycled between grows. Since I'll be growing now for personal, I don't have to sweat whether my method could go awry and throw a wrench in my livelihood... it's not my livelihood anymore. I don't have a livelihood at the moment. They'll grow out in 7-gallon fabric pots. I'm going to go the "pesca-veganics" route this time, and try the Vegamatrix bloom nutes along with many organic enhancements (none from mammal or bird animal products though, so no bone meal, feather meal, blood meal, etc.). Since FFOF is pretty good for veg as-is, in this first grow I will only be boosting here and there in veg with tasty enhancements—a shot of fish or kelp or fulvic acid. I'm looking forward to getting much deeper into things like beneficials and insect frass.

Another exciting thing is that I've finally moved up to LEDs. Damn, that technology took a long time to mature! I got a Mars Hydro TS3000 light. Holy crap is it bright! It pulls 450 real watts but looks as bright as any 1000W HID I've ever seen.

As luck would have it, I've got six clones of a Strawberry Banana (Strawnana?) version for this first one. I don't know exactly what the source genetics are, but it's decribed by the producer clone nursery this way:

FLOWERING TIME: 8-9 weeks
YIELD: Heavy, Moderate
GROWING TIPS: Flowering Time: 8-9 weeks Yield: Heavy Growing tips: Strawberry Banana grows to a medium height bush, making her ideal for gardens with height restrictions. A hardy and resilient plant, she responds well to a wide variety of growing methods and will yield superior results for beginning and expert growers alike. Be sure to feed her well to achieve those large, dense buds reminiscent of her Banana Kush heritage.
DIFFICULTY: Intermediate

FLAVOR: sweet banana fragrance with a musky fruit undertone
EFFECTS: the euphoric effects bubblegum adds are softened to mental clarity while the body enters into a relaxed, tranquil state
SUGGESTED MEDICAL USE: The combination of calming mental alertness and intense body high make the medicine ideal for treatment of daytime physical pain while patient focuses on going about the day

Got a small humidifier coming today because it's really dry and cold here and the cuts are trying to root into soil and experiencing RH from 39% to 48%... not good. At the same time, it's super cold, so I'm actually going to have to have a heater AND a humidifier in there for a week or three until they get bigger and/or the rains start and pump up the ambient humidity to an acceptable level.

Really glad to have my hobby back. When I got into the commercial side of things in ~2002, I learned a ton about growing but it all came with that pressure feeling looming in the background going "If I fuck any of this up I may not be able to pay rent or keep it going." When you grow just for yourself and for the love of it, that isn't there. I'd forgotten how good it feels!

Last edited by a moderator:
N.O. Reason to hold back !! Jump in the water and wade deep cause you know more than anyone what needs to be done .. No matter if you are growing or even smoking is no reason not to hang with friends when you still believe in the cause .. Many of us are not able to grow or even partake in the use for any different type of reasons but they still let me hang tough .. Glad to have you back on the scene once again . :catchawave:

Thanks Uni, I'm really going to enjoy it this time.

Anyone know why this thread is tagged with a little "unhappy" icon? I didn't mean anything to be unhappy. How do I get rid of that?

Welcome back, always a good feeling to get the lights back on. I’m in a 4x4 tent with a similar light and we cannot out smoke it no matter how much we try ;)

Welcome back Rev. Hope you can keep your secret safe from those old ladies! ;)

Good to see ya again rev! I felt the same way about visiting the cabana when i wasn't growing. Glad to see u made it back, cant wait to see what u got in store.

Take care and stay safe

Welcome back Rev. Glad to see you at it again.

From Leafly:
"Hybrid
THC 21%
Strawberry Banana
aka Strawnana
4.5(535)
Relaxed
Happy
Euphoric
CalmingEnergizing

STRAIN DETAILS

Strawberry Banana, sometimes known as Strawnana for short, is an indica marijuana strain developed by DNA Genetics in collaboration with Serious Seeds. A genetic cross of Crockett’s Banana Kush and the “Strawberry” phenotype of Bubble Gum, Strawberry Banana inherited a sweet, fruity flavor, hence the name. Known for its heavy resin production and high-THC content, Strawberry Banana produces happy, peaceful effects that sharpen creativity and sensory awareness."
Sounds stellar.

yeah be careful, smell will be the big challenge, While a good carbon filter helps immensely, I haven't quite figured out how to get rid of it totally.

Good luck with your new endeavors!!

My hope is that it will be raining a lot during the time they're in flowering, and rainfall does a lot to wash stray odor molecules out of the air... plus, all the grannies should be holed up in their houses due to such weather.

Well yesterday Amazon pulled the dreaded "we're sorry but it's going to take a couple of days longer to deliver your thing." So the little darlings are still suffering super low RH. :sad2: I hope it (the humidifier) comes today.

Based on my experience with Crockett’s family haze and Tangie, I’m sure there is some fire in there.

Thanks Olday

So, I got my humidifier, and it works great but the problem I'm dealing with right now is that my exhaust fan on its lowest setting is sucking all of the humidity out. If I turn it off, I can tweak things so the humidifier easily gives me a nice 55-60% RH. But then I will worry about how long I can have them in there at 77F and 60% RH without the air being exchanged before some opportunistic fungus would attack. Anyone have any thoughts on this? It will take me 3 days to get an intermittent timer (the obvious solution here)...

Rev, since they are youngsters and not flowering yet, I think you can leave the tent alone with the humidifier set at 50-60%, just venting it manually occasionally. But the intermittent timer will be necessary once they get bigger. Air circulation 24/7 is what you want.

Rev, since they are youngsters and not flowering yet, I think you can leave the tent alone with the humidifier set at 50-60%, just venting it manually occasionally. But the intermittent timer will be necessary once they get bigger. Air circulation 24/7 is what you want.

Thanks. I'm just worrying like a rank beginner because I haven't done indoors for about 7 years. As soon as I see new growth indicating that the roots are growing in to the soil, I'll relax a lot. These cuttings cost me like $140 for six of them with the taxes and all that crap added.

Good Luck Rev.
But I honestly believe once get you this first one under your belt you will be back in your comfort zone.

Good Luck Rev.
But I honestly believe once get you this first one under your belt you will be back in your comfort zone.

Thanks OP. I can feel "the force" returning already. For me a lot of it is about atmospheric conditions and whether I feel like I have decent control over them. I didn't when I installed these clones... my bad. Should have foreseen that. The RH around here has been super low, and I even got a little 5 liter humidifier that works nicely, but my fan is so good I guess that anytime it went on it would suck all the humidity out in one minute, making it plummet from 65-70% down to 40%. I ordered an intermittent timer and it arrived today and I put it on the exhaust fan. I set it to 5 minutes on/10 minutes off and it's working great, keeping the RH to a 2-degree spread of about 55-57%—exactly what I wanted.

Govee-screenshot.jpg

I've never felt so grateful for a simple $20 timer as I do at this moment...

Last edited:
Back