Crock Pot Canna Butter

Budluver

My husband has found that edibles are working really well for his arthritis.I am hoping it will help with my insomnia too.
The recipe I am going to follow calls for decarboxyating the weed for 40 min at 240 degrees. Spread out in a pie plate and sealed with aluminum foil to help contain terpenes. Then take decarbed weed 1 oz/ 1 lb Coconut oil and heat in Crock Pot on low for 12 hrs. Then strain the weed through cheese cvloth or unbleached coffee filter and squeeze to get all oil out. Let oil cool until warm then put in a glass bowl and put in the refridgerator until oil solidifies.
Some recipes call for water as well. I read as many as 4 cups water per lb of butter. Do you all use water? I want to use coconut oil because its healthier and also thc sticks to the oil better supposedly delivering a superior product. It's hard to believe I've only made butter once before. ( It didn't come out that great)..When I searched for canna butter here it gave me lots of recipes for edibles I plan on making but I want to get the butter right first..Many thx family.:puffpuffpass:

that method sure works for me
i use the water so i can cover the herbage and still have smaller amountof butter/oil
so as not to dilute the end product
theoretically the water should help leach out chorophyl
i think you will be successful..
...then start at low dosages [no more than 1/2 teaspoon]to test it
its serious meds

I use two cups water to pound of butter/once of product as it helps it settle and makes it easier to remove from dish. Decarbohydrate for twenty minutes and I simmer for six hours.

There are lots of variations of making butter but you are on the right path.

my thoughts exactly, why decarb when you simmer it for all day...wont that decarb the weed...thats how I do it...

I use a big crockpot to make my budder. I fill it 3/4 full of trim, add water to the top. Toss in 2lbs of butter, cook on high until the weed turns black. It takes about 10 to 12 hrs cooking.

I use what Big uses griser (sp) then through a fine SS screen. Let solidify then back into clean water for a wash. A lite boil. Cleans up the color and taste.

Blondy then adds 4oz of budder to a no bake cookie recipe.

A full 2"x2" cookie makes everyone comatose for hrs n hrs. I only take a sugar cube size dose and I'm good all day.

Just a simple way of doing it that works very well for me.

Attachments

• no pain.jpg
    no pain.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 3
... The recipe I am going to follow calls for decarboxyating the weed for 40 min at 240 degrees. Spread out in a pie plate and sealed with aluminum foil to help contain terpenes. Then take decarbed weed 1 oz/ 1 lb Coconut oil and heat in Crock Pot on low for 12 hrs...

ive made butter a few times cooking it for 12 hrs in the crock pot but i want to use coconut oil and if you decarb the cannabis first how long would you need to cook it in the oil to get canna-oil?

peace

I find there is no need to decarb first and using coconut oil is far better...far better for you and since it has different fat molecules it pulls out more cannabinoids ... it is all I use now ya gotta love the coconut oil :D

i was hoping to shorted the total cook time b/c i have to have assistance when making it due to limited hand function and 12 hrs is becoming a pita but if its not possible to shorten the time the its no problem.

i just need a way to to get more effective edibles and maybe using less oil and add water as stated above will result in greater potency in my edibles. i also want to make the cannoil capsules and get away from edibles and smoking.

i appreciate the community and the knowledge freely shared.......it sure help when your state still actively pursues cannabis users and growers.

peace

I love coconut oil for extraction. I don't decarb as I do a 10 hour cook in the crock pot. I also don't add water, just never saw the need for the extra step in my situation. I add about 3/4-1oz bud per 8oz coco. Cook in crock pot on low for about 8-10 hours stirring every hour or so.

Best investment for this whole process is a french press, especially with limited hand ability. It really makes everything so much easier and you get all your oil out.

when you guys refer to coconut oil are you referring to the liquid or the white paste...I've always used butter but I'd like to lose the dairy part of my medibles...

Boo, this is what I use from costco, Kirkland brand organic coconut oil. It is both liquid and solid with temperature which right around room temp sways either way depending on season for me.

I found butter to carry way too much green taste, coco has almost zero transfer...

$_35.JPG

Reactions: Boo
hi y'all;

so much misinformation here, guys.

1. butter, oil & coconut oil ARE NOT interchangeable!! each one has its unique characteristics. even using cannabutter in baking, you lose some of the properties due to the milk solids being removed. they have way different smoking points.

2. decarboxylation is NOT neccessary if you are cooking your extract so long.

3. there is absolutely NO reason to keep it under heat for that long. most active ingredients are removed w/in 2-3 hours. anything more is a waste & removes even more off-putting flavor/aroma.

4. for the best quality in flavor, color, potency; water cure your product 1st! chlorophyll is one of the nastiest thing to add to any baked goods (& most everything else). doing a 4-5 day water cure & quick drying your product, will achieve a more potent(by weight), cleaner, better tasting product. you can then quick dry & decarboxylate in the oven in a few hours.
even though there is very little water in your butter/oils, there is enough to pull the impurities into your fat. start w/a better product, you always get a better finish.

4. waste a bit of your "finished" product by scraping the nasty crust(which you will get, especially w/out washing). the rewash your fat by bringing to a simmer in water 50/50 for 5 min. strain into a tall container & cool. refrigerate overnite. remove & wash w/clean cold water. you'll lose about 6%, but the remainder will be a much higher quality.

5. quality fats! whether you use oil, butter or coconut, use the best quality for the job. european style butter has a higher butterfat %(less water/milk solids). if you are wanting to cook w/the oil, DO NOT use extra virgin. anytime you heat a "cold pressed"{ oil, you destroy the floral aroma/flavors, that you pay big $ money for. it also changes the chemical breakdown under heat. check out the differences in oils.

chemistry trumps every personal anecdote. all of these techniques are based on centuries of food chemistry.

bon appetit!
A

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CookingOilTypes.htm

I'm looking for a new way. On hand, I have coconut oil, olive oil and butter.
My problem is I have about 4-5 pounds of sift. That's a lot of oils to go through that much sift. I was wondering about making bubble hash to concentrate then adding that to the oils for a good, strong mix. Whatddaya all think? Or, do you have a better suggestion? I'm looking for the MOAB (I thought Blackbart once had a thread).

I'm looking for a new way. On hand, I have coconut oil, olive oil and butter.
My problem is I have about 4-5 pounds of sift. That's a lot of oils to go through that much sift. I was wondering about making bubble hash to concentrate then adding that to the oils for a good, strong mix. Whatddaya all think? Or, do you have a better suggestion? I'm looking for the MOAB (I thought Blackbart once had a thread).

Have made bubble with trim for this purpose in the past. I used 1.5 grams bubble per 8oz coconut oil. I usually use about 1/3 cups coco for edible recipes yielding 20ish servings. At 1 gram per cup you get 16.5 milligram dosage with each treat(33mg for 2 per cup). I enjoy right in the middle.

I also crock pot for 4 hours with concentrates although I have no science just habit there.

Hope that helps:puffpuffpass:

hi y'all;

i agree w/the magical butter machine. i have worked w/it for about 4 years(canna & culinary) & i recommend it highly! there are cheaper ways & a few that can make it a bit better; but NOTHING is easier or stealthier. i worked it for the medicated chef in denver; it made consistent tested product time again. every batch for the comp was w/in 2%. if you have stealth/health issues, this is it. sits on the counter & almost NO smell during processing. fill it, turn it on & the lights/alarm when done,<2 hrs. then strain,cool, clean & use. i've used fresh/dry/frozen bud/trim/kief/hash, in olive oil, hemp oil, coconut oil, alcohol & butter. i also make flavored butter/oils, w/mushrooms, garlic, many herbs & spices.

http://magicalbutter.com/

there are a few adjustment i use: water cure, melting the butter(if used) & skip the lecithin until ready for use. adding the lecithin the way they recommend, will bind to many of the off flavors.

if you can't find the water cure, i can post it again(it's her in 1 form or another 5-6x.)

bon appetit!
A

Back