C A T N I P (Nepenta cataria)

ordered and have grown out (still alive!) a little patch of lemon catnip in a five quart ice cream pail. One of the cats that own us is nuts about peppermint, and will go to great lengths to graze it and then barf all over the house. I got the lemon catnip because 'supposedly' cats do not care for the lemonishness. Well, the cat will nibble on the tips of the lemon catnip, if offered, but hasn't climbed the shelves to get it.

As far as for human purposes, we've used a bit of fresh leaf on salads, and it is yummy. Yes, the leaves are 'furry', but not even noticeable if minced up. Personally, we can just eat the whole leaf, we aint skeerd.

Even seems 'tastey', lightly vaped...:slap:

Pa,I am working on it...lol...let you know when seeds are,ready....

Nanny,me thinks that catnip on the north american continent got pigeon holed into a herb that is ONLY good for getting the cats frisky....lol...not so,my friends.....
I have made tea from it and my stomach/gut loved it and I slept good too....mixed some into the joint and smoked it and it was rather nice aroma and smoke.....go figure eh?...
There must be more than one kind of catnip,cause my leaves are not furry,hairy....:pl:

When I was a kid I tried eating it and smoking it with no noticeable effect. As an adult I grew out some beautiful purple catnip buds that were covered in trichomes. One day I noticed there were bees all over them, several types of bees wasps and hornets, and they were all just sitting motionless zoned on the catnip. It was bizarre.

Anyhow someone told me to mix it with some peppermint and make tea with it, and I did, and it had a noticeable effect. Not a big rush or anything, but subtle, like smoking pot in a way. Then I noticed that in the dark I saw shimmers and waves in the darkness and that effect was still going a good 30 hours later. I noticed an upturn in my mood and thought process and it was definitely not a placebo effect.

I tried growing it a couple of other times but the damn ferel cats (or something) ate it before it really took off. When I grew it out successfully to maturity, I had bought plants two ft tall at the farmers market. That head start got me some beautiful 4 footers covered in buds that were damn near identical to some good purple buds.

EDIT: too strong a brew will make you puke almost immediately so it is not one of those "more is better" kinda things.

Peace...

I agree,too strong of a brew will upset that taste balance/boquet....ofcourse,you know what you used to grow it with...ferts will influence the taste,greatly imho...lol....
I use same ferts as to grow the sacred herb...more or less same good results...:up:

Pa,I brought in the judges(top notch) of the catnip crop and I was assured that there is seed present,tadaaa...gotta dry for few more days....
the kitty was/is eating the flowers after which she was traveling around the house around 30 mph running crazy having good time.....lol....she loves catnip....Mr.All Green is chillaxin puffpuff.....:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• DSC01529.jpg
    DSC01529.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01532.jpg
    DSC01532.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 0
Thought of giving an update on catnip grow this summer....its the same plant that I grew for last 7-9 years...

This summer brought out the best in my plant and its busy flowering and starting to make buds and seeds yeaaa....the aroma is magic thats according to me...lol...my kitty she is in love with it as she eats little bit more or less every day during the year....I bring it inside for the winter....:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• IMG_1758 (2).jpg
    IMG_1758 (2).jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 3
Great looking plant Grand Prix!

Good to see you Variety and welcome...:puffpuffpass:

I spent the last 30 minutes scouring my photo files for a picture of this years sweetgrass(can't find it) before I choped it down as its growing against the basement wall and painting of the wall was supposed to happen 3 weeks ago...lol...it grows good too....

Good to see you Variety and welcome...:puffpuffpass:

I spent the last 30 minutes scouring my photo files for a picture of this years sweetgrass(can't find it) before I choped it down as its growing against the basement wall and painting of the wall was supposed to happen 3 weeks ago...lol...it grows good too....

Thanks brotha :puffpuffpass: I miss the Hell out of my cats, both from the same litter and both passed away in 2018 at 17 years. Unfortunately I will not be able to get another cat, between allergies and asthma they caused me. I always thought the asthma was maybe smoking too much pot or moldy pot but man I haven’t even thought of an inhaler since they have been gone. Once I get a pet they are part of the family and not even asthma would make me kick them out.
Anyways I know they would absolutely love that catnip plant!:dancer:

yeah GP, I got a huge catnip plant thats going on 4 years now..its taking over my chive garden..wife cuts branches everyday for the indoor cats and they love it..for some reason the outdoor cats leave it alone..my past experiences have been with kitties rolling around in it and killing the plant..its loaded with with flowers now and seen some plants spring up in the drive way from last year..

Ghost I got the simular experience as the catnip seeds spread below the patio and grow just fine as a voluntary and growing good too...:puffpuffpass:

Variety,I got some allergies but its not of a feline kind as I need cats to keep the rodents away including squirels,groundhogs etc.......lol...also an expert grouse hunter....:puffpuffpass:

Rosso,I do grow,fertilise my catnip plant as I would the sacred herb and it works miracles and kitty appreciates the love....puffpuffff......:puffpuffpass:

Back