A diss on the Cookies family of strains

the thing i've learned about AN is that one size doesn't fit all. When I was in Missouri, i ran my plant using a full shot glass of base with 1/2 a shot of additives (and no i did not buy into all the additives)

since i've moved here, I cut that back to 25 ml's of base and 1/2 a shot or so of additives, depending on the additive. All measurements are added to RO water in a 2.5 gallon gas can; feed, water, feed. water, feed water. PPM's run around 700-900 maybe. I have also noticed the smaller the plant there less i need to feed it at a time. The Wedding Cake girls i just took down, their meristems were all about the size of a quarter or maybe a touch bigger. they got the 25 ml dose. When I overfed an under-vegged plant with AN, yes the buds were tiny. So, I'm vegging longer to get those big-ass main stems. once the stem looks big enough she goes into flower. Granted the plants were over 5 foot tall at the height of flowering but a well trained plant with the stem that big could fit anywhere. I also use a 4 foot long cool tube mounted vertically, 1K HPS in each end, and have the plants around the cool tube so can get away with plants that big. I'm working on getting 4 G13Hashplant to that size now. The plants at that size drink up between 4-6 liters or nutes/water per day. it's a lot of work but I am exceptionally happy with the end result. Now the elevation where i used to live was about 500 feet above sea level lower than where i am now. So I lowered the amount a of nutes a touch. A I have a friend in Blackhawk, CO who told me when he moved from Denver up to Blackhawk, he couldn't get anything to grow right. He discovered that at elevation, plants required less. So he went from a full on GH nutrient regimen to mixing 1 cup of bat guano, 1 cup of his homegrown chicken poop, and some dolomite lime into a 3 gallon pot of Ocean Forest and just gave them well water form there on out. He was putting out 2 pounds every 2 weeks. Good bud granted the buzz didn't last long from being grown at that elevation. But he was able to grow his own meds again.

anyway, not every recipe is for everything. I will say that if i am able to veg my plants long enough, the recipe i am using works very very well. for smaller plants i will be dropping the nutes another 5 mi's.

I tend to agree with everyone. There are many variables at play.
And what may be stellar in one grow - bunk in another or with the wrong grower.

I have been using my same soil (Happy Frog) and nute system (H&G Bio 1 soil component, Age Old Kelp, Cal-Mag) since 2007 with more or less no changes.
I definitely notice differences in how strains handle what I use, but it works for me.

And definitely have friends who enjoy my weed and can tell the difference between my grown and "other" grown. LOL Kind of funny.

Funny you mention people distinguishing your flower from other growers, OP. My buddy runs a warehouse grow with multiple strains, and there is something similar tasting across them all. I’m no rocket scientist, but my instinct tells me the common nutes fed from a single tank may have something to do with it.

Funny you mention people distinguishing your flower from other growers, OP. My buddy runs a warehouse grow with multiple strains, and there is something similar tasting across them all. I’m no rocket scientist, but my instinct tells me the common nutes fed from a single tank may have something to do with it.

Probably spraying pure crop 1 or something like it. It’s suppose to be safe up to the day of harvest to spray but there is always a effect to the cause. I’ve had to spray stuff like that before late flower and had the same issue.
I grow multiple strains on the same nutrients and they do not taste alike.

Nah, nothing sketchy. I don’t mean they taste identical. I mean it’s a factor I’ve noticed, and my take is that in an ideal setting, the genetics are the dominant factor regarding flower flavor.

or
they are related to all the gassy /gsc style that pervades all the cash crop varieties ?

...I do find your nutes statement interesting

Nutes, growing medium, environment, combo thereof... or as kushy suggested, a bunch of related strains? Or maybe both.

OP,
I think I’ve said that to you. I know I’ve thought it. There’s good thoughts here so I’ll share
Mine if it’ll help. Yes V, you’re correct. A common medium and nutrient line doesn’t make Jackie O taste like ghost OG. But I do think it contributes to the overall flavor and experience 180, along with the biggest - genetics.

What I notice is that there is an underlying “sweetness”. Not sweet really. You know when stick your nose in a bag of fresh well grown tomatoes? And you can tell they were grown with care. In soil. Harvested well and left on the vine to ripen? It’s not sweetness. It’s maybe earthiness? Well, I’ve had OP’s homegrown enough, and I’ve gone without in between even more times based on how hard it’s been to catch up regularly. But when we get back together I can stick my nose in a jar of his weed, I know it’s his. It’s like if I had to guess it’s a combination of dirt and whatever finisher or late flowering nutrient he adds. And I do also think it helps that I have breaks from his flowers. All of them. They say smells have the largest area of memory in your brain? Smell and taste go hand in hand. But having breaks of a year or sometimes more, means I’m also tying a smell and a memory of a smell. Or, more specifically, I’m getting to experience sticking my nose in his jars and unlike all the other flowers I also smoke and go away from and then come back to, experiencing something different. A known smell and then taste. Best evidence I have? It’s happened to me multiple times where I smell his weed and taste it after a while and immediately connect it to OP.

Jackie O smells like Jackie O grown well in soil. And so does ghost OG. But they both have a common denominator somehow still.

That’s all I got. But there are people making ridiculously large sums of money based off the idea that very small differences in terroir greatly affect the taste of wines. It’s in there. At least for me it is.

Fh

I liked the GSC clone that was going around locally a few years back but I don’t miss not having it either. Cherry Cobbler (cherry pie /cherry cookies) I got from a member here was really nice and I bred with it some. Testing 2 lines off that this season. Trying wedding cake breeders cut in the green house this year. Supposed to be good, or good looking. Generally not the type of weed I want to smoke much. I dont like sleepy herb and prefer varieties that keep me up and going during the day.

one thing most corporations have in common: the go cheap to make more money. perhaps they are feeding a lesser nutrients instead of something more designed for just cannabis?

because people will try other buds i have available and tell me, yeah it's good, but it's not yours, and i prefer yours.

Well I definitely prefer OP’s to dispensary weed. lol. That goes without saying. He grows great pot. All of it. And imo they don’t taste “the same”, but rather there’s a “similarity” to them all.

Carry on w cookies…
Fh

Back