A diss on the Cookies family of strains

the cookie3 strains are huge hit here. Many that i have tried have been excellent in both flavor and potency.

I have every faith (hope) that the 4 wedding cakes i am harvesting will be very good. They are frosty as hell and stink. Nice skunk undertones with a big sweet component. .

So it seems that the complaint that we've heard amongst ourselves for the last 20 or so years, that the new poly-hybrids have no character compared to the older, landrace or landrace-based cultivars, has some serious truth to it. It's not just pot snobbery ;)

OTOH, some varieties will still shine, even though they are hybrid mongrels, GMO being a case in point, as Lithium mentioned. I haven't grown any of the Cookies fam except that one crappy Gelato, so I'm not really in a position to judge.

The other thing that Lithium hits on (above) is the colossal naivete and cluelessness of the average consumer. "It doesn't TASTE like a wedding cake, waaaaah!" There's not much to be done about this, except to try and educate people, show them the error of their ways, and hope that they mature into a more sophisticated consumer.

I haven't grown any of the Cookies fam except that one crappy Gelato, so I'm not really in a position to judge.

"It doesn't TASTE like a wedding cake, waaaaah!" .

Forum Cookies I thought was decent plant indoors, miserable hard budded mean green thing outdoors(have run into a lot of plants like this, both ways) Varieties Mandarin Cookie plant was real nice indoors. Gelato33, yielded very well here, smoke so so. Have a LemonCherryGelato flowering at present, and tossing good resin early.

To bad the WeddingCake isn’t a sweet sugary toke, be nice.

The best cookies variety I've seen was called Free MAC. Very potent. Tasted mostly like kif.

I also liked the Ice Cream Cake which was less potent but had a better taste

Don't think I've ever seen pure GSC. It's always crossed

I don't like the Gelatos...at all. Low yielding, very low potency, I'd describe the flavor of gelato cuts as "hints" of various sweetness...like a La Croix seltzer. The progeny are literally the ugliest cannabis plants known to man, they have the bag appeal of an owl pellet.

that's crazy talk bro lol ...I keeed :)

your post goes to show how subjective these cuts are to us as individuals, and how they must vary from one grower to the next.

I love the Gelato 33, yeilds and potency are very respectable imho, but for me it's the flavor of the smoke that keeps it around, pure sweet sugar fruity muffins is what I get from it. Definitely my go to for a sweet tasting smoke. I can't see it going anywhere for a long time.

I just received the GSC forum cut again, it's been years since I ran it but I remember liking it a lot, just a beautiful plant to grow, with a great taste and high, terrible yeilds in general, but I remember doing pretty good with a small 4 plant scrog in my 150hps cabinet. Her stems are brittle so had to be careful but it worked out well in the end. Overall, I think it'll be damn nice to run it again.

those are the only two I've tried so I guess i've got no problems with the cookie fam lol

Forum Cookies I thought was decent plant indoors, miserable hard budded mean green thing outdoors(have run into a lot of plants like this, both ways) Varieties Mandarin Cookie plant was real nice indoors. Gelato33, yielded very well here, smoke so so. Have a LemonCherryGelato flowering at present, and tossing good resin early.

To bad the WeddingCake isn’t a sweet sugary toke, be nice.

I need to do a second run of it to sanity check but I ran the truffle cake (in house) and it was really nice smoke for that category. Crazy frosty, nice earthy notes and finished hard at 8.5 weeks (I rarely pull things that early). Vegging one of the clones I took now and if it’s good you’re welcome to one.

that's crazy talk bro lol ...I keeed :)

your post goes to show how subjective these cuts are to us as individuals, and how they must vary from one grower to the next.

I love the Gelato 33, yeilds and potency are very respectable imho, but for me it's the flavor of the smoke that keeps it around, pure sweet sugar fruity muffins is what I get from it. Definitely my go to for a sweet tasting smoke. I can't see it going anywhere for a long time.

I just received the GSC forum cut again, it's been years since I ran it but I remember liking it a lot, just a beautiful plant to grow, with a great taste and high, terrible yeilds in general, but I remember doing pretty good with a small 4 plant scrog in my 150hps cabinet. Her stems are brittle so had to be careful but it worked out well in the end. Overall, I think it'll be damn nice to run it again.

those are the only two I've tried so I guess i've got no problems with the cookie fam lol

The same Gelato I was running?

I had a ton of heavy hitters that round and it just didn't measure up. Maybe my grow was to blame.

I remember a post on Insta...maybe Treetroit's account? People were discussing their Gelato33 thc %'s from respectable NON OREGON labs and it was consistently in the 10-15% range. And I know that's a poor indicator of quality, but things that tend to test in the 10 percent range have a real short hang time for me.

I was super put off on the wedding cake, I got more sweetness from the TK cut than that. But if you speak that highly of her I might have to give her another run.

The same Gelato I was running?

I had a ton of heavy hitters that round and it just didn't measure up. Maybe my grow was to blame.

I remember a post on Insta...maybe Treetroit's account? People were discussing their Gelato33 thc %'s from respectable NON OREGON labs and it was consistently in the 10-15% range. And I know that's a poor indicator of quality, but things that tend to test in the 10 percent range have a real short hang time for me.

I was super put off on the wedding cake, I got more sweetness from the TK cut than that. But if you speak that highly of her I might have to give her another run.

yes indeed, same one you gifted me several years ago

I have a hard time believing that it's as low as 10% thc but it's definitely not the most potent, but imo it doesn't need to be ..I have plenty of potent cuts and it's nice to have a couple of lower THC strains to toke on sometimes. Same reason I got the UK Cheese cut back in my garden, great taste/aromas and excellent for a daytime smoke.

edit: just looked up "Gelato 33 THC level" and most sites say from 19% to 27%

Last edited:
will try some of the wedding cake x gelato 33

I have been slack with my modern Blingy test since I took a few early nld sativa buds the other day
will try her tonight ..at least one of them looked gorgeous

I`m presently growing 3 Gary Payton plants from reproduced femed seeds and one of them did through a few hermis...all 3 look very Sativa in structure and one, the best in show appears to be a 50 - 56 day strain...seeing amber on day 52 and the buds are rock hard and look like they were chiseled from stone....the problem is i`m not sure which one dropped the pollen so i`ll have to try all 3 again...I did try a small nugget off the one that appears to be done and it`s potent and has a flavor i tasted before but i can`t remember which strain it was...would love to put this fast finisher into production but it needs more testing....take care n stay safe.

yeh me too Reibsi....I find it fairly energetic for a wld..gotta get back to testing it again

smoked wedding cake x gelatto 33..it hammered me good..was not energetic..taste was as good as the buzz..will have to try it today

and see if the buzz sticks..my guess is no

had one jelly sickle pheno last year from the reproduced fem seed that really hammerd..second joint..not so much..but it was much more potent than other phenos of the same variety

well there's a new one: White Tahoe Cookies that just blows me away. Very heavy, happy, and it feels like someone has their hand inside my skull massaging my brain in the best possible way, while I'm staring at my drink for half an hour thinking, I really need to get up and get another drink but damn, i do't wanna move.

ATTACH=CONFIG]351083[/ATTACH]

i have a difficult time thinking this buds will be anything other than fantastic. This is some of the wedding cake i just harvested.

Attachments

• Wedding Cake 9 weeks-private.jpg
    Wedding Cake 9 weeks-private.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 8
the second joint test of wedding cake x gelatto 33 was normally what happens ..not near as buzzed as the first..what is it about this kind of weed..?

all show..maybe a go on the first joint..then not overly impressive..much of the old school stuff does not do this

as well these newies have so much taste its sad when the buzz does equate

The Cookies and it's family I have grown were okay in the taste department, but all have the same bland couch high that is good at night.
Ice Cream Cake has been one of the more fun ones IMHO.
And Wedding Pie has a more unique flavor than many.
Did not care for the Gelatto or Gelatti lines.
Both were not anything special IMHO.

But to each his own I say......

smoked 2 j's of the plant that bud in the picture came from last night. Buzz crept a bit, was on the heavy side, but my mind was being silly and it had a great level of weird to it. Kind of chill but mischievous. Had me giggling like a school kid for a while. Followed by a j of glookies and I gotta admit, I'm still feeling it, almost 12 hours later. Fun night. Great smoke to kick back and listen to a live singer/songwriter on an acoustic guitar at the bar. We had a blast and i got home and slept like a baby

does anyone think that maybe the nutrients used will affect potency and effect? People have commented on stuff i've picked up from friends from California and colorado, that "Yeah, it's good, but i can tell it's not yours.....". What nutrients are y'all using? Mr [MENTION=13]Optimus Prime[/MENTION], [MENTION=3818]kushyman[/MENTION], [MENTION=3046]mtnjohn[/MENTION], [MENTION=4246]Lithium[/MENTION] ??

thoughts?

smoked 2 j's of the plant that bud in the picture came from last night. Buzz crept a bit, was on the heavy side, but my mind was being silly and it had a great level of weird to it. Kind of chill but mischievous. Had me giggling like a school kid for a while. Followed by a j of glookies and I gotta admit, I'm still feeling it, almost 12 hours later. Fun night. Great smoke to kick back and listen to a live singer/songwriter on an acoustic guitar at the bar. We had a blast and i got home and slept like a baby

does anyone think that maybe the nutrients used will affect potency and effect? People have commented on stuff i've picked up from friends from California and colorado, that "Yeah, it's good, but i can tell it's not yours.....". What nutrients are y'all using? Mr [MENTION=13]Optimus Prime[/MENTION], [MENTION=3818]kushyman[/MENTION], [MENTION=3046]mtnjohn[/MENTION], [MENTION=4246]Lithium[/MENTION] ??

thoughts?

I think nutrient brand has a bit to do with how your bud comes out, many years ago I compared nutes with the same cut, and completely different product in the end, even bud structure was different. Plants grew like twins being cuts, just different buds. Lots of variables effect final product.

Apple Fritter in my OP I had to run out to 13.5 weeks before I seen the green apple aroma, others find it earlier. With any plant imo you have to run multiple times before you get um just right. Each grow spot is different as well.

Only takes some searching before you see how your grows are lacking compared to others. There’s some growers no matter what it is they blow um up, just have the touch. Have ya ever seen what Rootwise does at harvest, that dude will make ya wanna find another Hobby. My partner does twice what I do, I’ve used the same exact program he runs and still does not help my pitiful grows.

So, I have to say, if the plants like you, they will perform, if they think your a dick, they won’t.

thoughts?

There's a ton of variables that can affect end quality IMO. Light intensity, nutrient strength, cure time/regimen...

I use GH, same feeding schedule I've used since 2009ish. I only add Micro, bloom, and ph up.

I've tried other things, AN PH perfect which was good but caused tiny buds...Veg+Bloom which didn't dissolve and the guy didn't offer me a replacement or my money back--it eventually turned into a giant brick in my cabinet and created an authentic looking patina on all the metal objects in the vicinity. Bio Bizz which contained NO phosphorous whatsoever, Fox Farms organics during my organic phase.

In the end I get the the most consistent results from the simple GH regimen.

I think nutrient brand has a bit to do with how your bud comes out, many years ago I compared nutes with the same cut, and completely different product in the end, even bud structure was different. Plants grew like twins being cuts, just different buds. Lots of variables effect final product.

Apple Fritter in my OP I had to run out to 13.5 weeks before I seen the green apple aroma, others find it earlier. With any plant imo you have to run multiple times before you get um just right. Each grow spot is different as well.

Only takes some searching before you see how your grows are lacking compared to others. There’s some growers no matter what it is they blow um up, just have the touch. Have ya ever seen what Rootwise does at harvest, that dude will make ya wanna find another Hobby. My partner does twice what I do, I’ve used the same exact program he runs and still does not help my pitiful grows.

So, I have to say, if the plants like you, they will perform, if they think your a dick, they won’t.

I agree that nutrient brands can add their own distinct characteristics to plants.

IMO, my philosophy is not to grow them the best, but to fuck them up the least. The fewer mistakes made, the happier the plant and better the end product. It starts small, with quality apicle clones with strong roots and proper transplant times, then flipping the lights on well-pruned teens at the right time. Pests can have a very adverse affect on plant health, even something as innocuous as a few fungus gnats can lead to an outbreak and can stunt a plants growth enough to see visible reduction in quality.

There's a ton of variables that can affect end quality IMO. Light intensity, nutrient strength, cure time/regimen...

I use GH, same feeding schedule I've used since 2009ish. I only add Micro, bloom, and ph up.

I've tried other things, AN PH perfect which was good but caused tiny buds...Veg+Bloom which didn't dissolve and the guy didn't offer me a replacement or my money back--it eventually turned into a giant brick in my cabinet and created an authentic looking patina on all the metal objects in the vicinity. Bio Bizz which contained NO phosphorous whatsoever, Fox Farms organics during my organic phase.

In the end I get the the most consistent results from the simple GH regimen.

I agree that nutrient brands can add their own distinct characteristics to plants.

IMO, my philosophy is not to grow them the best, but to fuck them up the least. The fewer mistakes made, the happier the plant and better the end product. It starts small, with quality apicle clones with strong roots and proper transplant times, then flipping the lights on well-pruned teens at the right time. Pests can have a very adverse affect on plant health, even something as innocuous as a few fungus gnats can lead to an outbreak and can stunt a plants growth enough to see visible reduction in quality.

Fungus gnats are quite the pain, have been having problems getting um gone. Just started using milled mustard seed, see how that goes. When I started growing many years ago, spider mites and powdery mildew was about it. Lots more to deal with these days. My OP usually runs problem free, but I have been taking in cuts over the past year, and seems every one of the shipments had something in there to Jack me up. I totally killed off flower and veg, started fresh only to have my partner dump 15 plus plants on me loaded with fungus gnats and freaking russets. It’s just insane how many OPs are infected with something. Some guys dont even know there shits fucked up till ya tell um, lol.

Fungus gnats are quite the pain, have been having problems getting um gone. Just started using milled mustard seed, see how that goes. When I started growing many years ago, spider mites and powdery mildew was about it. Lots more to deal with these days. My OP usually runs problem free, but I have been taking in cuts over the past year, and seems every one of the shipments had something in there to Jack me up. I totally killed off flower and veg, started fresh only to have my partner dump 15 plus plants on me loaded with fungus gnats and freaking russets. It’s just insane how many OPs are infected with something. Some guys dont even know there shits fucked up till ya tell um, lol.

I can tell you what I've done wrong in the past, via hindsight, but I'm the LAST person to give advice. I've lost so many harvests and clones and entire rooms...it's ridiculous. The land outside my home is infested with fungus gnats, leafhoppers, and all kinds of mold/mildew. A pinhole large enough to let light bleed is enough for a single fungus gnat to get in and then the "fun" begins.

I usually treat my plants with microthiol dispurss micronized sulfur which completely eradicated my powdery mildew problem and also kills all mini-mites (russets, broads, etc). I've repeated a 2nd application usually, but I'm not sure it was ever needed. It's THAT effective for me.

The leafhoppers are what's getting me. All the poorly kept hemp farms nearby are causing curly top virus to spread all over here in Oregon, and it's transmitted virtully instantly. I left to pick up Gary Payton and another clone 2 days ago and I had three leafhoppers on my shirt from the walk from the front door to my car. :|

Speaking of which, I'm happy to try Gary Payton out. I'll post up how she looks as we progress.

Back