A diss on the Cookies family of strains

sticky is as sticky does
Cookies, Gelato, Wedding Cake, Oreoz, Runtz, etc.... they are everywhere. The Cookie fam dominates the cannabis market right now. For the casual cannabis consumer, it's almost impossible to avoid.

But this guy (the Mass Medical Strains dude, whatever his name is) comes out and says Cookies family strains are BAD for people who have depression, and depressing in general.

Now, it goes without saying that the MMS dude is kinda crazy himself, and has some strong opinions. But I found the podcast interesting.

https://soundcloud.com/massmedicals...s-of-empathy-genetic-diversity-the-full-scoop

While I’m not a huge cookies fan, they have made for some nice cuts and seeing as it’s a Durban and OG cross I’m not sure I’m buying those negative side effects as I have some in my tribe that struggle with them. That’s why I like being a home grower, my stash box can have the extreme variety that I like and not be limited to those that come down in 8 weeks, and are Instagram worthy but fail to bring enough effect. Like you said for the occasional smoker no big deal but not much choice if you are limited to the dispo and the street

Lol, I don't usually listen to podcasts, and I didn't listen to that one all the way through, but it was interesting to hear what an industry person has to say about the cookie fam.

When people first stated talking about GSC they spoke of a mint flavor which I've never encountered. So I wonder if there are better expressions than I've seen.

But yeah GSC is huge where I am. Gelato too.

Speaking of weed podcasts though...found this one which was pretty cool.
The interview with Red from Legends seeds in particular was great. He talks about selecting F13 and True blueberry. 600 seeds apparently.
The one with Chimera was less interesting which I was surprised by. Cool to put some faces to the names
https://youtu.be/5cfgpuS-vMw

Sorry to hijack. Carry on

GSC is good..the other's are ok ...that Berner guy sure has dominated the market....

M Med guy doesn't have an original canna bone in his bod....

Very overrated. Most can't hold a candle to old school Cali OGs, Topanga, SFV, Master, Hindu, Bubba when it comes to high.

They rock hard up with PGRs under big lights. That's the only good thing bout em. Ok flavor can be very well done too. Maybe they arent overrated totally without cause.

Old school crosses of those foundational flavors is where it's at. Cross to new school candy, fruit, cookies.

Lol, I don't usually listen to podcasts, and I didn't listen to that one all the way through, but it was interesting to hear what an industry person has to say about the cookie fam.

This is funny because I find mass medical strains(the few I’ve tried) to not have enough effect in the high(boring). So boring I can’t remember the name and I grew it a couple of times lol
Give me the green spongy weed, that’s all I need. You want something done right/your way then do it yourself. Every industry guy I know has their head so far up their own asses and is what I hate about the whole fiasco.
Pancakes is the new cookies :teeth: one thing I’ve learn is no matter how good something maybe the first time you try it, we build tolerance to it and it becomes another gal in the stable, and this is why we need a new cookie every month, peat and repeat.
I’ve been doing this selling clones lol, $100 a strain and they just keep coming back to try something else. That’s where the fun is.

been toking on some White Tahoe Cookies this week. the stuff is awesome. Super glues your butt to the couch while it feels like someone has a very talented hand inside your head massaging your brain in the best way possible. Feels REALLY good. happy smoke too. lots of the cookie crosses are pretty damn good smoke

getting ready to harvest 4 big Wedding Cake next week too

been toking on some White Tahoe Cookies this week. the stuff is awesome. Super glues your butt to the couch while it feels like someone has a very talented hand inside your head massaging your brain in the best way possible. Feels REALLY good. happy smoke too. lots of the cookie crosses are pretty damn good smoke

getting ready to harvest 4 big Wedding Cake next week too
That’s a good one and one that I got. Should get her in next round.

This is funny because I find mass medical strains(the few I’ve tried) to not have enough effect in the high(boring). So boring I can’t remember the name and I grew it a couple of times lol
Give me the green spongy weed, that’s all I need. You want something done right/your way then do it yourself. Every industry guy I know has their head so far up their own asses and is what I hate about the whole fiasco.
Pancakes is the new cookies :teeth: one thing I’ve learn is no matter how good something maybe the first time you try it, we build tolerance to it and it becomes another gal in the stable, and this is why we need a new cookie every month, peat and repeat.
I’ve been doing this selling clones lol, $100 a strain and they just keep coming back to try something else. That’s where the fun is.

this makes sense I had some really good garlic mushroom onion strain, then when I got another batch it lost its magic

IDK
I'm not quite as down on it as you guys.
The bulk market is always geared towards mass appeal.
It's high potency and smooth taste. Less Cough than the other kush looking buds. Pretty buds, good bag appeal. It's got mass appeal and is popular for a reason. Way better than the super sweet low potency BC import weed that dominated the bulk market when I was younger. And I think a step up from the more recent blue dream huge plant/low plant count strains that were dominating the bulk market before it.
It's our Skunk #1. A strain all our coffee shop dispensaries can cross things to and get an easy selling consistent product. We could do worse

Let me ask you guys this...if you were going to choose a strain to cross to everything to for mass appeal what would you pick over it?

When people first stated talking about GSC they spoke of a mint flavor which I've never encountered. So I wonder if there are better expressions than I've seen.

But yeah GSC is huge where I am. Gelato too.

I remember that...thin mint cookies, many claimed to not taste it and then the crew started to say it "was on the exhale". I never got that. The crew with the cut also said the high of GSC cuts through the high of dabs/oil ect. A real laugher, that one.

I don't like the Gelatos...at all. Low yielding, very low potency, I'd describe the flavor of gelato cuts as "hints" of various sweetness...like a La Croix seltzer. The progeny are literally the ugliest cannabis plants known to man, they have the bag appeal of an owl pellet.

GSC is good..the other's are ok ...that Berner guy sure has dominated the market....

This. I prefer the forum cut to just about every cross I've tried. I like GMO, too, I actually kept that.

That's funny you say that about Gelato, Lithium. I got an un-numbered Gelato clone from a local source and it was the ugliest pot plant I've ever grown. Just scraggly looking. Plenty of resin but zero aroma. I didn't smoke it, just gave it to my friend to make edibles.

I’m curious if in various markets, Cookie crosses have really pushed out older strains, or if the market has product if you’re willing to shop around?

I ask because there are plenty of posts suggesting dispensaries don’t sell classic strains, but my experience in southern ME has been that 85-90% of medical dispensaries have a lot of Cake, Cookie, Gelato, Zkittlz, Runtz, Pancake, Fritter, there are still options. I just ran across a place with Apollo 11, Northern Lights, Chocolate Trip, Apollo Thai Extreme from Bohdi Seeds, in flower and concentrate. Bubble Gum is typically available from multiple growers. Papaya and crosses also. Cheese, and various Skunk too—including Lemon Skunk. Pakistani Chitral Kush, Durban, Chocolope, Blueberry, and I stocked up on Bluemoonshine badder when I saw it. Also Alaskan Thunder Fuck, is usually around.

I grew some fire fire icre cream cake full melts everything … flavor was great fresh … i dont even hv a jar for daily smoke :p

That being said i growing more wedding cake for hash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hahaha, i've not even tried a cookies strain, yet. So...out of the loop. Been anxious to try some beans of Goji x Instant Cookies, just to see what the fuss is all about. Also, the BanjiHaze, hunting that anise flavor.

I’m curious if in various markets, Cookie crosses have really pushed out older strains, or if the market has product if you’re willing to shop around?

I ask because there are plenty of posts suggesting dispensaries don’t sell classic strains, but my experience in southern ME has been that 85-90% of medical dispensaries have a lot of Cake, Cookie, Gelato, Zkittlz, Runtz, Pancake, Fritter, there are still options. I just ran across a place with Apollo 11, Northern Lights, Chocolate Trip, Apollo Thai Extreme from Bohdi Seeds, in flower and concentrate. Bubble Gum is typically available from multiple growers. Papaya and crosses also. Cheese, and various Skunk too—including Lemon Skunk. Pakistani Chitral Kush, Durban, Chocolope, Blueberry, and I stocked up on Bluemoonshine badder when I saw it. Also Alaskan Thunder Fuck, is usually around.

If you go and look at vertically integrated grow company's drop updates on Instagram, you can see what the customers are after and what they dislike. I've seen people complain that the strains don't taste like their name, which is very common.

Another strange one is the complaint that the buds are too large and not round. Any spear shape buds, foxtails, or large buds are indications of inferior quality. This indicates to me that they want cookies crosses that are overwhelmingly GSC in shape and appearance.

I've seen bizarre takes like these on other (newb) grow forums, too. Anything deviating from a small, round bud elicits lament and condolences from the peanut gallery. They really like the fuzzy long-stalked ornamental phenotypes, too, when in my experience, those are almost always significantly lower in potency and terpenes.

Hahaha, i've not even tried a cookies strain, yet. So...out of the loop. Been anxious to try some beans of Goji x Instant Cookies, just to see what the fuss is all about. Also, the BanjiHaze, hunting that anise flavor.

I really think you'd like GSC or one of the actually elite type crosses like GMO. It's good all-around herb that can easily have a place in a picky smoker's rotation.

MANY of the hyped crosses are super disappointing.

Back