Where do special standout plants come from?

Kushy I Totally agree. They bred one to one breedings and basically bred themselves right out of the business. Sure they still sell a few seed but folks def aren’t banging down their doors to buy shit stock.

Tevye, actually in remote areas on the planet there are still crops of cannabis that aren’t poly hybrids. They are inbred lines but still pure, getting harder to find but there are a few out there.

-ct-

Had to laugh when i read someone saying that most seed buyers just want an inbred line (for personal grows and not breeding), and that f1's were too variable. They dissed anyone selling f1's...i guess that there 'must' be years of work put in to be a strain that is 'legitimate' to sell to the public. I call bullshit. Yes, breeding two poly hybrids will make lots of variation. But, in many cases, crossing two very inbred lines can be very 'clone-like'...and i think that f1 is where a lot of magic happens.

Also, i think that the lighting changes has some strains doing better than they did before...or worse.

AND...maybe in the old days, we didn't enjoy the herb on a daily basis, so our synapses got a chance to clear the heck out...and our brains appreciated the change ups, a bit more.

Very interesting thread

maybe in the old days, we didn't enjoy the herb on a daily basis, so our synapses got a chance to clear the heck out...

>or I smoked so much......[rolled two joints to smoke before i got out of bed]..that I couldn’t feel subtleness

and didn’t have 100 varieties to choose from like now

but then again.... I lived in Northern swamp

I think they can come from any generation but it depends what you’re looking for to establish what “outstanding” is. It might be a bx if you’re looking for something leaning more to the bx’d parent. If it’s a mix then f1 or f2.

But my honest answer is outstanding plants come from large selection pools. A winner out of 10 only has a 10% chance of being a winner out of 100. Grow a lot of females out. You’ll really get to know the pheno types and appreciate the outliers. The sports will stand out.

So I've been pondering...and figured I should pick the brains of you all.

The question is:
What generation of seed is most likely to deliver a special plant that stands out beyond it's siblings and parents?

The Dutch seed company belief seemed to be that F1 hybrids of unrelated stable IBL lines was the best seed. And for vigor maybe. But is that where you really find the standouts?
Another option is that F2 generations result in the most extreme expressions of the original parent lines. So perhaps this is where they would be? But I don't get the impression that many famous keepers came about this way.
Then F3 and F4...My reading of the DJ Short history on Blueberry is that the F3 generation was where the standouts were. But maybe that's me misunderstanding? It's hard to tell.
Then we got the BX's and Selfed seeds. Seems a lot of the famous Keepers came about this way.
Or are mutts the best? Should you just roll the cosmic dice and cross some mixed up stuff together?

Or is my belief in the super stud standout plant wrong? Is that marketing hype? Are the keepers really above and beyond?
Thoughts?
In an F2 you will find your absolute best plant and your absolute worst plant ever. I would think logically the best bet would be to find the right parents in the F1 Generation, do a very large hunt on F2's until you find the one that lines up with the traits your looking for. Then BX3 that mofo to try to lock in some traits along with whatever you wanted to add to it. Then do another large hunt. Not easy, not doable for most people, but that I think is the best route to finding something elite. Then again remember, its just as possible that something elite will pop up in the F1 generations but you should be able to improve upon this if you know what your doing with later generations. In the end large hunts are the only way to breed elites.

Back