What's Best? Feminized Seeds Or Clones

I don't think you did, its makes it more unclear to a degree.

Clones aren't faster finishing than seed, it depends on the strain. I can have a seed of bubba kush thats done in 8-9 weeks after flower, a clone of columbian will take twice as long to finish. Larger buds aren't found in seed or clone, there is no larger bud from clones magic.

Technically there is no more variety with clones or seed. One can have clones of everything they grew from seed, and then they have equal variety. Wide variety comes from having a large stable of cuttings.

Hahahahahaha I’ve always been a clone guy but with seeds you can store thousands of varieties with no maintenance. Clones are much much harder so I prefer both now. Clones will always be better for production because you know the strain, they will all grow the same and you can fill a tray with the same plant. Seeds will always have variation. My point of view comes from an indoor grower where you have to make everything count to make a living. Outdoor it would be much easier to throw tons of extras and cull the ones you don’t like.

I don't think you did, its makes it more unclear to a degree.

Clones aren't faster finishing than seed, it depends on the strain. I can have a seed of bubba kush thats done in 8-9 weeks after flower, a clone of columbian will take twice as long to finish. Larger buds aren't found in seed or clone, there is no larger bud from clones magic.

Technically there is no more variety with clones or seed. One can have clones of everything they grew from seed, and then they have equal variety. Wide variety comes from having a large stable of cuttings.

Hey HMaster.... I was just expressing what I was seeing this grow... having just finished both of these from seed, and now growing the same from clone, for some reason they are
finishing much faster.. at day 40 of flower the hairs are going all orange already and buds are bulking up as to finish.. ran her to 70 days on a seed grown, these are looking more and
more like 55-60. not sure why, only difference is larger pots.

I sure am not saying I know anything about any of this because I obviously do not grow on a large enough scale to do any real research other then sharing what I see and experience
first hand.. any insight or guidance/corrections, please... feel free to chime in man.. I'm here to learn all I can..

I've not grown from clone for a long time now, been seeds, lots of autos and finally getting back into photo periods here lately and enjoying the searching thru all the seeds I have...

Keep in mind, my tent is 2ft x 2.5ft x 6.5ft tall.... 4 plants at a time one is truly a small scale closet grower....

Hey HMaster.... I was just expressing what I was seeing this grow... having just finished both of these from seed, and now growing the same from clone, for some reason they are
finishing much faster.. at day 40 of flower the hairs are going all orange already and buds are bulking up as to finish.. ran her to 70 days on a seed grown, these are looking more and
more like 55-60. not sure why, only difference is larger pots.

I sure am not saying I know anything about any of this because I obviously do not grow on a large enough scale to do any real research other then sharing what I see and experience
first hand.. any insight or guidance/corrections, please... feel free to chime in man.. I'm here to learn all I can..

I've not grown from clone for a long time now, been seeds, lots of autos and finally getting back into photo periods here lately and enjoying the searching thru all the seeds I have...

Keep in mind, my tent is 2ft x 2.5ft x 6.5ft tall.... 4 plants at a time one is truly a small scale closet grower....

Regardless of the size of the grow your plants always look top notch brotha!

Regardless of the size of the grow your plants always look top notch brotha!

Thanks V... I do put a lot of love into my little grows and really enjoying teaching this old friend J how to get much better at what he's been doing for years..

I do my best to not pass on bad or poor information and I could see how that post could of been confusing...

I wish I had enough room to run 12 plants in 5gal buckets like I did outside in chicken coups.. hehe.

Still amazed at how far along these clones are at day 41 today.. and the Apple Sherbet's buds are swelling up and just may be a bigger producer then
Lemon Betty is.

Clones for garden stability, Fem’d seed for hunting. Keep in mind, Fem’d seed is not like regular seed. Fem’d seed lines are finicky and don’t like stress of any kind (during veg or flower). Stress = Herms in even the best Fem’d genetics, from the best Fem’d seed breeders. Keep your garden stress-free and Fem’d seed can lead to some fine keepers.

This brings up a question I've wondered for a very long time, but never remembered to ask anyone until now, so thanks for triggering it. I'm going to ask you.

If such mildly-stressed feminized seed plants were to self-pollinate, would the plants grown from the resulting seeds essentially be S1s, with the way they got created (stress) being incidental, or would these seeds create plants that carried markedly extra hermaphroditic tendencies? My sense of it is that they would be S1s no different from S1s made with STS or CS, and if one grew them out they could avoid hermies for the most part simply by maintaining a virtually stress-free environment. What do you say?

Obviously, such risks would not be acceptable in a high-$ commercial environment, but I'll go even further and say that I'm thinking that for someone like me who's going to be growing only for personal and gifting/trading, etc., several seeds in some personal would be a gift, not an annoyance, because if the strain were highly desirable, I'd now have lots of chances to grow it again. Mind you, I'm talking about light hermie seeding... a seed here, two there... not a full-on seeding where whole buds are packed with them. I believe that kind of large pollination can only occur from a nearby male plant spewing, as it were. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I'm an older dawg, so I remember lots of times in the late 1970s when I scored gorgeous weed like Colombian Red and Thai Sticks and Oaxacan spears and was not at all pissed about the seeds. While they were there, they weren't horribly excessive like they were in the $10 per ounce commercial Mexican (which we lovingly called "Mersh"). Some kids with more vision than I did even saved some of those Thai and "Lumbo" seeds for some future growing adventure that I, as an apartment-dwelling kid, couldn't envision for myself at the time.

Last edited:
have never grown regs is to much trouble and no room, over the years i have maybe done as many clone grows as fem seeds. dont think i ever grown bad pot but i have grown good pot badly. last few years i been getting it right and it always hits the spot always different year in year out, is my perfect stone it can only be equaled

This brings up a question I've wondered for a very long time, but never remembered to ask anyone until now, so thanks for triggering it. I'm going to ask you.

If such mildly-stressed feminized seed plants were to self-pollinate, would the plants grown from the resulting seeds essentially be S1s, with the way they got created (stress) being incidental, or would these seeds create plants that carried markedly extra hermaphroditic tendencies? My sense of it is that they would be S1s no different from S1s made with STS or CS, and if one grew them out they could avoid hermies for the most part simply by maintaining a virtually stress-free environment. What do you say?

Obviously, such risks would not be acceptable in a high-$ commercial environment, but I'll go even further and say that I'm thinking that for someone like me who's going to be growing only for personal and gifting/trading, etc., several seeds in some personal would be a gift, not an annoyance, because if the strain were highly desirable, I'd now have lots of chances to grow it again. Mind you, I'm talking about light hermie seeding... a seed here, two there... not a full-on seeding where whole buds are packed with them. I believe that kind of large pollination can only occur from a nearby male plant spewing, as it were. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I'm an older dawg, so I remember lots of times in the late 1970s when I scored gorgeous weed like Colombian Red and Thai Sticks and Oaxacan spears and was not at all pissed about the seeds. While they were there, they weren't horribly excessive like they were in the $10 per ounce commercial Mexican (which we lovingly called "Mersh"). Some kids with more vision than I did even saved some of those Thai and "Lumbo" seeds for some future growing adventure that I, as an apartment-dwelling kid, couldn't envision for myself at the time.
Seeds found in plants from S1 stock will not preform like S1’s. Even in lightly seeded S1 plants, the offspring will show a high rate of intersex tendencies. That’s not to say all offspring will show herm, but most will regardless of stressors. You’re best to find a clean S1 keeper and clone that to keep it going.

Seeds found in plants from S1 stock will not preform like S1’s. Even in lightly seeded S1 plants, the offspring will show a high rate of intersex tendencies. That’s not to say all offspring will show herm, but most will regardless of stressors. You’re best to find a clean S1 keeper and clone that to keep it going.

"Most will"... that's enough to deter me, I think. Thanks Dman

Yeah, especially since you said, " Mildly Stressed" . If a plant shows male organs under light stressing personally I'd not keep it around.

I used to make my own feminized seeds using light stress and it's not easy, well it is, but it's time consuming for sure... Veg a plant 3-4wks, then flip it to 12/12 for 2wks...

Back to veg for 2wks, then back to 12/12.. Do this one more time then, flip her to flower and see what she does. at this point you have invested a few months.... but, it

worked on my K2... cheers

As others have already said; In short clones are always going to give you a more uniform garden.
However, some feminized seeds are more uniform and stable than others.
I am speaking from my experiences. As all of us have different situations.

There are a lot of variables regular or feminized seeds; Depending on the strain, environment, recessive and dominate traits. Might I also say bad or good breeding practice. That determine the uniformity or lack of that the offspring will have.

For clarification purposes there is a difference in self-pollination (rodelization) and hermaphrodites.
Many strains will throw a male flower very late in the budding cycle. Regardless if they were grown from regular seeds or feminized.
It is a defense mechanism for the plant to attempt to complete its life cycle. Yes, contrary to popular belief a marijuana plants purpose in life is to reproduce. Not to grow seedless buds for us to get high on.

I have had strains that no matter the situation self-pollinated (multiple sites of male flowers) generation to generation. In my opinion these are hermaphrodites. Never use these for breeding.
I have had strains with very little or no signs of male flowers when grown outdoors. Yet grow this same strain indoors and an occasional male flower, late in the cycle would be a little more common. Grow the off spring outdoors and they were all females with very little or no sign of self-pollination. In my opinion this is rodelization.

Back