What's Best? Feminized Seeds Or Clones

Greenja

I've always used clones. But these days, there's tons of choices using fem'ed seeds. Can anyone share the pluses/minuses of growing both? Is one inherently stronger? Any downsides to consider?

Thanks for sharing your opinions,
Greenja

Fem seed is just like growing reg, you still have to look thru a population to find a good one. Just cause there fem does not mean your gonna get a bunch of great plants

exactly, I popped 3 lemon britches, all grew but one is straight up whereas the other 2 have nice flat tops once the plant was topped...I prefer that latter

Clones for garden stability, Fem’d seed for hunting. Keep in mind, Fem’d seed is not like regular seed. Fem’d seed lines are finicky and don’t like stress of any kind (during veg or flower). Stress = Herms in even the best Fem’d genetics, from the best Fem’d seed breeders. Keep your garden stress-free and Fem’d seed can lead to some fine keepers.

many a clone wouldn’t make the cut for myself.........subjective to say the least......always a crap shoot with fem seed.......or any seed for that matter.....more about the parents used to make up and lineage behind......
variables exist regardless.........

No Defacto, they are more like F2s; it's a recombination of the parental genetics, even though there's only one "parent". That's why S1s can be a goldmine, or a bust.

I have some Mr. E S1s that I want to run. I don't do seed starts very often and I've never run any S1s before, so I'm looking forward to the experience, and hoping for fire.

Wow, I thought femmed seed produced an exact 'clone' of the parent.
In theory they should be exact copies, however we found out in the early 2000’s that this was clearly not the case in reality. If fact, you’ll find way more variations (subtle and not so subtle), than the chances of finding an exact duplicate of the Mom.

Clones for garden stability, Fem’d seed for hunting. Keep in mind, Fem’d seed is not like regular seed. Fem’d seed lines are finicky and don’t like stress of any kind (during veg or flower). Stress = Herms in even the best Fem’d genetics, from the best Fem’d seed breeders. Keep your garden stress-free and Fem’d seed can lead to some fine keepers.
I agree with you Dman. I always do stress training through trellis and I’ve had s1’s throw a whole branch as male. Super surprised when this happened. That was only a gsc cut I got. 99% of the other fems I’ve done always produce balls and nanners in the lower branches that do not get enough light. Easy fix though just have to clean up the bottoms around week two.

i think they act like an ibl or the clone generally

i have had only one selfed plant hermi on me in almost 20 years..

regular seeds i seldom get them but more than selfed

for people who don't live in "verified clone land" they are a blessing

i stress plants too much [turning on lights when i shouldn't]

..i don't recommend it though ..but they don't hermi

That was the idea back in the day, I’ve made my own using colloidal silver, I’ve grown others offerings. I’ve never found a plant that resembles the clone, you can find plants that express some of the parent qualities, that’s about it. For me a S1 population of plants are usually weak and display unwanted growth, as in weak, spindly, mutated expressions. Like a fan growing out of the petiole of a fan, weird twisted leaf, three leaves per node, floppy can’t support themselves plants. Chances of Finding a keeper is about as good as finding one in a 100 reg seed.

There have been some lines that do well, and you wouldn’t know they were S1s, that’s not the rule in my experience. For whatever reason you can and will find males in Selfed populations, I’ve seen it quite a few times. And it’s how I began the Strawberry Creme line I’ve had for many years now.

Had a Talk with TomHill many years back about selfing and hermies such, he had the best description to date, mustached females is all they are, female plants expressing there maleness. Much like humans, many women present as men, as do many men expressing there female tendencies. I’ve got a doctor buddy, who is just a regular guy, get him loaded and his voice goes and all his gestures are feminine, it’s pretty crazy to witness.

Seems to me there extremely inbred populations, and if ya think about it, it does not get anymore inbred then banging yourself. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
....one should not be surprised that a large population of "verified clones" every one seeks..are s1's /s2's etc........

....one should not be surprised that a large population of "verified clones" every one seeks..are s1's /s2's etc........

Like gg4 lmao! “I got the gg4 I got the gg4!” “Where did you get it?” “From a pack of seeds yay!” I have no idea ifmine is real or fake it’s all based off people being honest and no one wants to go Around trying to sell a fake gg4 so they are all gg4 weather they are or not. But the happybess I see in people’s post about having a strain fake or not I just leave it be.

Thank you guys for clearing that up for me!

I really thought I could quit the hassle of cloning.

Another dream blown to pieces! lol

thank you guys for clearing that up for me!

I really thought i could quit the hassle of cloning.

Another dream blown to pieces! Lol

if you can get the clone..get the clone..if not.. S1's are good

Last edited:

Me too. I'm so glad I asked this question guys!! Too bad about the low stress tolerance/hermies. Clones are a come and go prospect around here.

Thanks everyone for the information!!
Greenja

Like gg4 lmao! “I got the gg4 I got the gg4!” “Where did you get it?” “From a pack of seeds yay!” I have no idea ifmine is real or fake it’s all based off people being honest and no one wants to go Around trying to sell a fake gg4 so they are all gg4 weather they are or not. But the happybess I see in people’s post about having a strain fake or not I just leave it be.

not quite what i meant..i meant benchmark clones being s1's

Me too. I'm so glad I asked this question guys!! Too bad about the low stress tolerance/hermies. Clones are a come and go prospect around here.

Thanks everyone for the information!!
Greenja

from what i have seen s1's do not have a low stress tolerance......

thats all i can add

"of course..get the clone if you can."..other wise get an s1".. and be happy

I haven't seen hermie tendency moreso in S1 myself. Maybe just lucky. And there are times when people who have original clones of a plant, find an S1 they highly prefer to the original.

Back