what Nutrient line are you using these days?

mtnjohn

yeah baby!!!
I've been thinking lately about going back to hydro in one of my Cabs and curious what everybody is using for Nutes.

Yeas ago I used Advanced Nutrients Sensi a/b with great results, also done the GH Maxi series, GH 3 part and several others.

what are you using these days?

thanks for the help

mj

I’ve been doin' DWC for 30+ years, I started usin' GH Flora series, three part.
I tried organic PBP, I tried AN, I tried a bunch of those so called additives, over priced under performed, lots of hype, little difference in results. So I save my money 'n stick with GH. The only additive souse are Cal Mag, 5ml per gallon, 1 ml of Plantacillian (keeps the roots healthy 'n keepsrootrotat bay) ‘ I have been usin's liquid Kool Bloom (it was on sale for ten bucks instead of forty) 'ni won’t be gettin' it again, no real difference than without usin' it.

Good luck,,,,

aNs

Reactions: GOZ
i'm in the process of switching from AN to Heavy 16 and loving it!

very simple system. Im in coco and the ph when mixed runs 6.0 to 6.1. Perfect for coco. Makes frosty big buds......

i'm in the process of switching from AN to Heavy 16 and loving it!

very simple system. Im in coco and the ph when mixed runs 6.0 to 6.1. Perfect for coco. Makes frosty big buds......

thanks for the suggestion Guy.

I did a little research on Heavy 16 and ordered their Bloom A/B base line ...so as soon as my new cab is up i'll be testing them out. I still have almost a kg of GH Maxi grow so i'll be using that for veg.

thanks for the suggestion Guy.

I did a little research on Heavy 16 and ordered their Bloom A/B base line ...so as soon as my new cab is up i'll be testing them out. I still have almost a kg of GH Maxi grow so i'll be using that for veg.

My guess is you never look back
That sounds like a winning combo.

I'm still veg n bloom for veg, then heavy 16 for flower and loving it.

Additives I use: drip clean, heavy 16 roots, heavy 16 fire, cannazyme. Calimagic to 150 ppm on RO water up til week 3 bloom. Easy peezy.
There's no such thing as too easy. If I'm feeling extra pimptight I might spray the heavy 16 foliar which is arguably their best product ***

Once you get an actual flavor packed genetic, I can't believe the flavor coming off coco and this system. Never had soil grown weed like it, just way better deeper Flav and aromas. Salts ftw :dunno:

I’ve dropped them mostly in favor of super/living soil and blumats. I have the roots organic bottles, cal mag and Epsom salts if/when needed but they aren’t often. Plants are as happy as ever with me getting out of their way.

Have been looking for a decent salt base, Athena and the like, for simplicity and cost.

Picked up the Front Row AG: Part A, Part B, and Bloom, They are dry salts, and it was $50 for each 5 lb bag w/ a 20% discount at local hydro store. Can mix a liquid concentrate of each, which is in turn used as normal with normal liquid salt ferts.

Will report back on how well it works, and the cost once I figure out what EC their recommended rates actually land on.
See a Silica additive for the line. Was given a Mammoth Silica sample (120ml) which should be enough for a month+ to do some testing and will go from there.

Have been using AN Sensi Cal MAG Xtra as a base up to 0.3 EC (rate of 1 TBS / gal) both Veg and Bloom.
Got a few 1 L bottles for $10 ea (about 1/2 $), with couple left so a couple months left and then will figure something cheaper if still needed.
Using up a bottle of GH CALiMAGic lately to stretch the AN further and also use up the CALiMAGic - still 0.3EC as base for Cal/Mag.
Hoping new mix with Front Row won't even need Cal/Mag added?

Ha, previous five months have just been going through anything and everything on hand, used up a bunch of old stuff: H&G Aqua Flakes, Canna Coco A/B, Cornucopia line of Grow/Bloom, and the last month GH Flora 3 Part which is about to run dry. Could probably dig deep in the bins and stretch a few more months but looking to keep it simple, hence the Front Row acquisition.

Athena pro line. Easy 3EC every watering start to finish other than water at the end. 60% grow 40% core in veg
60% bloom 40% core in flower. Every watering.
No more additives other than silica to raise ph.
I like simple. And no deficiencies or burning.

Athena pro line. Easy 3EC every watering start to finish other than water at the end. 60% grow 40% core in veg
60% bloom 40% core in flower. Every watering.
No more additives other than silica to raise ph.
I like simple. And no deficiencies or burning.

ty for that @1985, the Athena pro line was the other I'd considered. Heard great things, good to get your report.

Well, am LOVING the FrontRow Ag line!

If had the $$ would have gotten their Silica addition. Had a bottle of Nova Green Silicate 0-2-5, which is a fairly strong pH up. Add less than TBSP / 15gal for VEG mix (equal A/B, 1 cup ea / 15gal), and 2-3 TBSP for BLOOM mix (3/4 cup each of A, B, & BLOOM stock solution), as the Bloom pulls pH lower. The A doesn't have too much effect on pH compared to B which contains some Citric Acid and lowers pH.
This is working so well for Si would just get another bottle of Nova Green as cheaper, but this is lasting a good while so ok for now. Plus, Silica doesn't seem to be a problem with new growth and don't want stems any stronger than they are given my style/setup.
I've also dropped all the additives (CalMag, DripClean, etc.). The only tweak is usually a squirt of pH down to bring it to 5.8/5.9. Mixes so nicely, there and done.

And STABLE, check the next day and it's only drifted up 0.1EC or so.
Usually check and adjust when using previously mixed nutes - now it's check, yup ok, each time, and just using without even checking as confidence goes up with it.

Was using GH Flora series with some AN Sensi CalMag Xtra, and they were "fairly healthy" but certainly some deficiencies and very sensitive to being rootbound or anything or the sort. Always chasing to stay ahead of deficiency, adjusting having to read each plant a good bit. Glad to leave that behind, and watching everything shift to a "thrive" level of healthy was great.

A buddy wanted to get going, so instead of giving sample sets or whatnot still on hand, figured best to match what I'm using as good option for success as a first timer. Set 'em up with a Quart set of Stock solutions (A/B/BLM) but didn't need any of the Silica as had to fight to get the pH down. Base tap water was 0.6-0.7EC (!!! mine reads 0.0 maybe 0.1 in summer), so cut back the levels of nutes and had forgotten to bring pH down (doh!) so got some from his fish tank setup and able to create exact recipes for Veg and Bloom to mix up gallon of nutes at a time. Buddy is planning to install RO filter soon and get a pH meter.

Now that I know what is being used to bring EC to range, have everything to calculate the costs / gallon of nutrient solution which is used every watering, ideally with some drain to waste timed to a proper dry-back cycle.

Have been looking for a decent salt base, Athena and the like, for simplicity and cost.

Picked up the Front Row AG: Part A, Part B, and Bloom, They are dry salts, and it was $50 for each 5 lb bag w/ a 20% discount at local hydro store. Can mix a liquid concentrate of each, which is in turn used as normal with normal liquid salt ferts.

Will report back on how well it works, and the cost once I figure out what EC their recommended rates actually land on.
See a Silica additive for the line. Was given a Mammoth Silica sample (120ml) which should be enough for a month+ to do some testing and will go from there.

Have been using AN Sensi Cal MAG Xtra as a base up to 0.3 EC (rate of 1 TBS / gal) both Veg and Bloom.
Got a few 1 L bottles for $10 ea (about 1/2 $), with couple left so a couple months left and then will figure something cheaper if still needed.
Using up a bottle of GH CALiMAGic lately to stretch the AN further and also use up the CALiMAGic - still 0.3EC as base for Cal/Mag.
Hoping new mix with Front Row won't even need Cal/Mag added?

Ha, previous five months have just been going through anything and everything on hand, used up a bunch of old stuff: H&G Aqua Flakes, Canna Coco A/B, Cornucopia line of Grow/Bloom, and the last month GH Flora 3 Part which is about to run dry. Could probably dig deep in the bins and stretch a few more months but looking to keep it simple, hence the Front Row acquisition.

Is this basically what your checking out, thinking I might try a run, been the same program here since forever.

https://cropsalt.com/collections/all-products/products/veg-a-1-lb

Is this basically what your checking out, thinking I might try a run, been the same program here since forever.
Yes, a basic 2-part in veg, 3-part flower ("Generative Growth" to use latest lingo) with the addition of the Bloom part.

Can't judge value of the product in the link without looking at concentrations.

The FR-Ag (by Solstice Ag) is likely quite different. It has been optimized for Coco for years, moreso than a soiless peat though that's working fine. They're very aware of the CalMag bit and formulated accordingly. Recommend reading through the FAQ here: https://solsticeag.com/pages/faq

An example, are wetting agents in the Part B. It's almost "soapy" when you shake the stock solution.

Does that product you linked to have colors (dyes) added, or is it just add the salts with each rez mix?
You can do this with the FR as well, but best is making stock solutions. I like the colors - Green / Blue / Pink for A / B / Bloom.
Need to mix up another gallon of A & B tonight (have mixed a quart then gallon of each so far, so getting a process using warm water and all).

Grower who recommended it really impressed at the value, was 1/4 cost per row of prior nutrient and better / easier results (running quite a few lights with coco in drain to waste). Had experience with all the mediums and all the nutes I've tried, from supersoil, soiless, coco and GH Flora, Canna Coco, House & Garden - and raved about the FR-Ag. That's what swayed me from Athena, apart from an upfront cost could swallow (well not really, agonized for couple months!).

Will try and edit with the mix values, that will give cost per gallon for a specific EC target, and can calc from there based on how you like to push or what your strains can take.

Yes, a basic 2-part in veg, 3-part flower ("Generative Growth" to use latest lingo) with the addition of the Bloom part.

The FR-Ag (by Solstice Ag) is likely quite different. It has been optimized for Coco for years,

Does that product you linked to have colors (dyes) added, or is it just add the salts with each rez mix?

Edited: didn’t come out as intended, my mistake.

Last edited:
just an FYI, [MENTION=3046]mtnjohn[/MENTION], I'm stopping using Heavy 16 in flower. It takes way too long for the plants to flush clean at the end of flower. By the time the plants fade, the buds are way over-ripe. I'm now using Heavy 16 in veg and AN in flower. fingers crossed.

as an amendment tony previous statement, it does appear that an's Flawless Finish is helping the plants I have coming down in 2 week flush. After one dose they are starting to fade. So maybe using Heavy 16 i flower is still on the table. It's going to come down to the quality iff the final buds.........

Pros:
Healthy looking plants
Yields are up
easy to use

cons:
a bit more expensive than AN
doens't flush well

but if the flawless finish works well i may keep it around

https://www.advancednutrients.com/products/flawless-finish/

i take back the not flushing well. The Plants "look" like they don't flush well but they taste good and the smoke is smooth. The biggest thing i've noticed is the plants will sometimes finish early Now I'm a stickler for how i like my trichomes - cloudy/amber 50/50. I've had a couple plants at 50/50 at 6 weeks of flower. Not good for what's normally a 9 week plant. By the time the plant is flushed, the buds are way over ripe. Didn't happen too badly with my latest harvest. 3 plants ready on time and 3 done a week early.

With that being said, the yield is fantastic and the plants are very robust and healthy.

I await your conclusions on FF …

ok i tested 2 Blueberry Yum Yum last night. BBYY#2was around the big light (2 1K HPS in a cool tube mounted vertically), fed Heavy 16 and I used the Heavy 16 Finish on her. BBYY#3 was under the LED (BC Blondes 1K watt), fed Heavy 16 and then given Flawless Finish (literally one dose then plain water).
#2 was good. great BBYY happy buzz.
#3 tasted better same BBYY buzz.

more to come

I should add that I have 8 plants in flower getting AN's Sensi Coco Bloom and additives at the moment. They look quite nice. I'm actually doing something strange with these pants - following manufacturers recommendations on feeding, although I dropped the amount for each feeding a touch - 30 ml's base with 15 ml additives. Feed, Water, Feed, Water. etc. pics are in my journal

I should add that I have 8 plants in flower getting AN's Sensi Coco Bloom and additives at the moment. They look quite nice. I'm actually doing something strange with these pants - following manufacturers recommendations on feeding, although I dropped the amount for each feeding a touch - 30 ml's base with 15 ml additives. Feed, Water, Feed, Water. etc. pics are in my journal

Always had GREAT results with AN even with the insults i received lol! I was actually thinking of going back.

Always had GREAT results with AN even with the insults i received lol! I was actually thinking of going back.

well, i did find that using Heavy 16 in veg, the plants grow like crazy, such faster and bigger growth than using Sensi Grow coco. So I'm using Heavy 16 for veg. The plants i've grown with Heavy 16 have varying finishing times, many times they are fully mature and ready to harvest a couple weeks early, so by the time they are flushed they are over-ripe, for me anyway. So I'm liking what i am doing with AN at the moment. I just have to keep the pots moist. I've also started using Sensizym so that may help with the salt build up i was experiencing before when the pots would get too dry.

Back