What’s Old is New Again!

Olday

I’m setting up my thread here in Tiki Huts & Mini Cabanas as my heart has always been here and that little green light for the sub has been off for way too long!

The first of the new toys have arrived and the veg tent is now setup:
Hlg 100 4k spectrum
2x2x4 Vivisun tent
Various gizmos - WiFi/remote temp & humidity, timers, cam (will go in flower tent later) etc...

First thoughts - holy shit, everything seems so much more high tech when compared to my last setup, it’s nothing short of amazing how far things have come along!

First mistakes - the driver for the veg light isn’t dimmable like I thought it was so I’ll be playing the up/down game with the light as to not cook the babies as it is really bright for 100 watts. I picked the 100 partly for space fit/output and partly as homage to the little bulb that could

Flower setup (no pics yet as everything is here yet and no need to set it up for a while anyway)
HLG 550 Rspec - birthday/tax return splurge!
4x4 Gorilla Tent (thanks for the tips as the Vivisun will be great for veg, can’t image it will be as sturdy as I’d like in this size)
Ac Infinity 6” with the temp/humidity controller, carbon filter etc...

Soil grow (I’m comfortable here for now and have enough newness to deal with)
Biobizz line of nutes with calimagic etc...

4F64E48D-7D3D-4507-8181-2BB4CF447C54.jpg
392FBB07-94D9-44E3-91E7-8CD70994FFE2.jpg
55B1B093-1A03-4AFC-8844-AA7C4466E216.jpg
BFCF8EC0-9AE9-4D5A-9618-4056019B44A0.jpg

Last edited:
Next up is genetics - this is a bit of a rough spot as IL lawmakers did us dirty and while it is legal to grow (med patient) there are no places to pick up clones/seeds. Sucks to have to start from scratch and sexed/known solid clones would have been nice to get the perpetual runs going.

My seedbank is a decade+ old but I’m going to try and get the following to pop. Limited memories as to the origins of most of these but we’ll see what we get

SSH
LSD
S99 bx2
LUI F4
LongBottom Leaf

These are scuffed up now and floating in glasses for a bit and will be placed on the seedling mat in bags tomorrow. Looking into the vitamin B solution some of you mentioned

Thanks Reibsi and Dan, it feels fantastic to have the lights on again and can’t wait to see how things grow under the new gear (assuming I don’t have pebbles floating right now :jokercolor:

still an oldtimer outdoor grower but thats a hell of a nice indoor setup Olday..brand spanking new and clean..just make sure mites don't contaminate that happy environment..continued success..

still an oldtimer outdoor grower but thats a hell of a nice indoor setup Olday..brand spanking new and clean..just make sure mites don't contaminate that happy environment..continued success..

Thank you Rosso! First time in a while I’ve treated myself and I’m not at all disappointed, can’t get over how bright the new LEDs are and have been using sunglasses when tinkering around. I’m also all ears if you have tips on keeping mites and other pests away.

Last edited:
Used to have constant mite problems . Finally figured out it was my air intake . I was drawing air from under the house at ground level . Getting intake to the roof cured that persistent problem .
peace

My favorite new toy just showed up today :cheerleader:

HLG’s 550 v2 rspec - and WOW what a champ - amazingly bright, not at all heavy and I can’t think of anything else to say but SEXY! Nice and easy adjustment dial. Have her hanging from the ceiling for now as the gorilla tent will take a bit to get here.

BBC09AA6-4E01-4432-870C-68C978C71918.jpg
D87AF4F1-2A7A-46AC-B964-E97CDFECB711.jpg
4FC680E5-B01E-434D-9CC1-E77D38CFAF22.jpg

I cannot wait to see what this girl can do!

Most mites have a 10 day cycle where a single female can lay 1000s of eggs..thats what makes them so dangerous..the stuff Doc showed is good but you can buy organic veg oil at a good nursery for dirt cheap..it takes 3 applications at 10 days apart..it suffocates the mites as they hatch..my best solution has been to nip em early..dip all your cuts or clones in a solution of floramite and avid wearing rubber gloves before planting indoors or outdoors..the little bastards are hard to get rid of even with all that effort..for some reason last year didn't have any problems..

Signs of life!
LSD and S99 each have two beans that split open and seem to have a little rap root coming out - may not be shut out of luck!! Thinking of taking the hemostats to the other ones tomorrow

Okay bro.... I found ya and will be following your grow if ya don't mind.. hehe. We have many things we share, cept my veg
tent is also my flower tent.. someday I'll have the bigger one to flower in, for now I'm learning how to do it on the small side..

That new light of yours is really nice... read up on it at the Zon and man, very nice.. it made me watch a video on mine and
still very happy with my little light.. now I want to run 2.. lol.

Good luck on your babies, mine are just starting..

Okay bro.... I found ya and will be following your grow if ya don't mind.. hehe. We have many things we share, cept my veg
tent is also my flower tent.. someday I'll have the bigger one to flower in, for now I'm learning how to do it on the small side..

That new light of yours is really nice... read up on it at the Zon and man, very nice.. it made me watch a video on mine and
still very happy with my little light.. now I want to run 2.. lol.

Good luck on your babies, mine are just starting..

For sure Carty! Glad to have you on.
On the small side I can relate too and you could go even smaller for a clone/veg tent - T5s can get nice and snug - when I ran the previous setup I had a lot of luck in a small floro box with reveg, having popping small seeds which when it worked out sexing them, and of course clones etc... did quite a few 12/12 from seed and even managed to make some beans.

One of the things I found helpful in the small space with varieties and different stages of flower was to go from solo cup to 8” pots that I flowered in was to offset to one side and make the initial training a circle around the edge. Kept the plants above themselves and easy for pulling them in and out. I pulled a lot of nugs from under a 100 watt hps bulb and would be curious to see what I could do in a smaller setup around these new LEDs. Your spider light was the other brand I was looking heavy at and got a good deal on the HLGs so I took it.

Mostly an update for logging purposes -
4 of the LSDs and two of the s99s popped and are in solo cups in the dome with the others. Went ahead and cracked the shells of the rest of them this morning and a fair number of them had at least some shinny white growth inside. None of them so far have put out a real “leg” though and just tiny tips. Hopefully that doesn’t say much about them if/when they get going. Webcam coming in handy for me not opening the tent multiple times a day :kuku:

20C7F48C-E9BE-482D-9EDA-F52E9C9B0EF3.jpeg
D2B4F9BF-6560-4F5C-8962-2EBFE063A602.jpg

Peace
- O

That's a nice little dome... we all do things a little different, but whatever works for you stick with it eh?

I start mine simple, water overnight, most should sink in am with a stirring.. good seeds sink faster.

The old paper towel trick, into baggie, into oven mit... 2 days later, tails... plant into 1gal pots.

I have no luck with solo cups, no idea why, probably don't water enough. so I avoid them... LOL.

Burnie says my Purple Punch seeds should be here soon.. be dropping them buddy so we can compare lights
maybe eh?

holla soon

Hey Carty!

Picked up the dome and the thermo controlled heating mat with the thought of rooting clones down the line. After reading the post on VPD I thought I would work with it to see what I can do - turns out it makes it super easy to dial that in for the seedling stage as I can just adjust the little vents to land where it needs to be. The app that came with the cheap temp/humidity sensors makes it easy to track day over day.

I started these the same as you, (scuffed them first) then soaked for a day and I to paper towels and baggies (but in the dome) the cups are the ones that popped so far.

2 days... yeah not with this old ass stock of beans, we are at like 5/6 days and they are super lazy. Hope once they break ground that they get a move on.

For sure with the purple punch, will be fun to watch them go! I believe they may be feminized as well which will likely get them front of the line privileges here as I really need to get something going. Thought about a road trip to MI as they have some clone stores but not sure when I’ll be able to make the drive and the reviews are mixed at best.

Back