Vac sealer

burnie

High all !
Got a Foodsaver sealer for Christmas . Specifically model FM2100 . Just gettin` ready to try it on some cube steak . Anyone else use this brand/model ? Directions leave a lot to be desired . And yep , it has a port to vac chip bags , zip locs , etc , and a port to do containers and jars . Any help , hints or tips greatly appreciated !! Thanks !!
peace

Each model is a lil different, they're pretty easy once you use it ....
Get the generic bags off Amazon or ebay, cuz there expensive from foodsaver

i've been using a food saver for years. They are great for food and buds, although I do not vac down my buds. They work great for transporting buds because there will be no smell from the buds.

I have thought about upgrading to a newer model, i haven't yet. The one I use is Model 420. Can't bare to part with it

one i have, it's not a foodsaver brand, has 2 strength settings. one is gentle, the other one is suck it out like a hoover. i

found with mine it helped to really lean on the unit after air extraction to get a good heat seal. i would sometimes create a double seal. i use bags but also have the bag stuff come in a big roll that takes a little longer to prepare but is cheaper than the bags.

the jar feature is a must.

been using Foodsaver for about 14 years on a daily basis and couldn't live without one..
the other brands I've tried work like crap..don't waste your money..also it's worth the extra few bucks to get the bulk rolls from foodsaver.com and not the generic ones..don't get the bags, with the rolls you can make any size bag you want..I noticed that the generic ones can easily get leaks and won't seal properly..
in 14 years I've gone through 4 machines and they take a beating..don't buy the fancy smancy ones..the cheap $79 Foodsaver at walmart works much better and lasts longer..I'm going on 3 years with the last one I purchased and it still works great after 1000s of uses..Foodsaver model # V2222..
an important trick as to when freezing food such as meats and liquid is to freeze it first and then vacuum seal it..I grow lots of tomatoes and freeze em for the winter and spring..after blanching, peeling and deseeding my tomatoes I'll freeze em in 32 oz containers and then pop en out of the container and into a vacuum seal bag..can keep for up to 2 years and still taste fresh.. buying big cuts of meat and breaking it down into small potions to vacuum seal is a huge saving..just make sure you freeze the portions first because the machine sucks the blood out of the bag before it seals..stuff like cheese, nuts and dried fruit isn't a problem and will stay fresh for months..
works great for sealing pot..just make sure you seal it before all the air sucks out or else you'll end up with a solid brick..lol..
play around with it Burnie..it takes a bit of practice but you'll love it..

Also, I posted this somewhere else...don't remember where, but when yer sealin pot, you can put the pot in a Ziploc, squeeze as much air out as you like, seal, an then vacuum seal the Ziploc. This will give ya vacuum sealed pot, without the squished buds...fer what it's worth.

yesss this is the only way I do it :D

I wore out a dozen of the home rated units over the last decade and a half so I upgraded to their outdoor hunter machine...I can seal all day without the machine timing out to cool down...the upper end units last years under heavy use and will seal all day...bag quality is what it is...cheap bags are just that...as annaba said, can you afford to take the chance...even food saver has at least 2 grades of bags...the thicker ones for hunters are serious bags, twice as thick...model V1515 for the win...

had the foodsaver mini for literally 10 + years.. best 35$ i ever spent... she does it all, with herb it is important burnie that you use two bags as a buffer, i generally if I'm going to store some herb and not jar it, or shoot it off and out, use one regular ziplock and then a heavy ziplock bag to keep the herb from getting crunched down from the heavy vacuuming... works like a charm everytime...

also when doing things in a marinade or steaks/meats with juice, make sure to make the bag long enough so the juice doesn't get sucked in to the vacuum chamber area.... did that once years ago and learned my lesson... glad you got something nice bro! enjoy

Thanks guys . The vac came with the precut bags . The wife even bought a roll for me to cut whatever size I need . Are accessories very expensive ? would like to get the container/jar set up to vac jars . Any tips on doin` meat other than pre-freezing . Living by yourself and just cooking for one is a PITA!! Almost as bad as freezer burnt food ! This should really help me out !
peace

Foodsaver 500 (oldie but goodie)
Rival VS=110

Got the newer Rival but still prefer my old foodsaver.

If I had to buy one, I would make sure I bought one with a vacuum channel as opposed to the vacuum nozzle design. Sometimes it's a PIA to slip one side of the bag above and below the nozzle. Just my opinion.

Plethora of info Rosso.

Burnie, a lot of people don't use their canister attatchments. I got a 1/2 pint cup and hose off ebay below $10. I'm hoping the vacuum hose will work on the ziplock vacuum bags as well.

I just checked and found 6 spare vac sealer hoses in my drawer, anyone needing one lemme know...free to friends in need...

i don't suck down my bags that contain buds. You can seal the food saver bags without using the suction.That way it's just a nice secure way of making sure the cop doesn't smell the buds. A dog will, but not a human

When i use it for meat and such, i do suck the air out.

here's my girl and yes, she's very old.

Attachments

• FS420-private.jpg
    FS420-private.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 2
Yay Foodsaver!
Like they said ^
The only issues I have ever had with mine is sealing issues with the unit not drawing out all the air.
This has happened with a few of the units after many uses...
Replacing the foam gasket (the upper one) helps this issue tremendously.
Keeping the unit open and standing sideways, on one end like one can do with a hard-bound book, keeps the gasket from compressing so it lasts longer.

In the earlier units, the gasket can be removed, peeled carefully out of the channel and stored separately to keep it from compressing when the unit is not in use and sits closed.
Use care not to crease it while it is stored out of its channel

OH! and I have had great results with the Weston brand roll material for freezing food or storing flowers
CVS has it cheap when I run out and cant wait for an auction

Attachments

• foodsavergasket.jpeg
    foodsavergasket.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
I know it's not the same as a machine, but Zip Loc makes special reusable bags and you use a syringe thing to manually suck the air out. I was pretty impressed, but occasionally a bag will lose it's vacuum. It's important to double bag, so the stems don't puncture the special bag.
It's nice that it's both portable & resealable, and inexpensive. Would be great for camping or traveling.

Wow cool!
Weston, who makes food saver style bags also makes a few sealers including this commercial unit
s-l500.jpg

They look nice
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Just an FYI guys ....this is for food only . I have trouble cooking for just myself . There`s always way too much . Be nice to pack up portions and just grab outta` the freezer as needed . But thanks for the "other" tips !! lol
peace

I make lasagne now in large sheets and then freeze in single and double portions
easier/firmer, less juice after 24hr in fridge

Sealed packages can be heated in boiling water and served right out the the pouch
easy
very good shelf life too

once you have the pouch with a wet food mass closed into the machine to seal, slide it to the edge and hang it off the table to help eliminate air pockets and not let juice get into the sealing area by perfectly timing your seal button press
timing is everything!

8 seconds that's almost as good as a video game - heh

Oh! &
I often roll back the edge a couple inches to put in messy food then wipe up a bit with a paper towel and unroll the edge
less cleaning than trying to wipe sauce out of the sealing area!

Back