Uncle Bens Tek.

Slim Pickens

I Blue my mind.
I was in the market looking for beans to make my Chili a couple days ago. I turned around and Uncle Bens 90 second rice was staring me in the face,so I bought some. I had seen the Tek before,and thought it might prove worthy for a first timer. I knocked up 4 bags this afternoon. I was only going to do 2, but I muffed it up,and then decided to do the other 2 in hopes of getting something that is not contaminated. I put the bags in a bucket with thermostat and will maintain a 80* temp to foster colonization.

Stick around for the laughs.It's cheaper than going to the Comedy Club! :D

IMG_1137.JPG
IMG_1136.JPG
IMG_1135.JPGontrol

That's an interesting tech Slim. I used to do the pf tek and then I moved to a modified PF Tek where you made large flatish cakes. The cakes worked so well. I used to get huge flushes off of them. I will definitely be watching.

So many interesting techniques isn't there?

I bought popcorn,and was really going to do that...and probably will do that next. I just all of a sudden got a wild hair,and bought the Bens. I figured I'd better start simple. Simple tek for a simple mind.LOL

Good luck slim, I had no success with Uncle Bens tek and I thought it would be perfect for my hot environment.

One of the things I learned was to use only one ml of spore solution per bag. Most of mine got double or triple that and just got too wet.

I think I still have 10-12 unused bags somewhere in the house.

Maybe its time to try it again.......

Note from 180: you can watch the video on youtube, no problem. Click on link and it will open new window.

I followed the 90 second Mycologies tek..I also watched the Pops video,but in the end I followed 90 second Mycologies video. The twist thing probably works,but it sounded a bit much for me.Anyway,Pops said 2-2.5 cc. I got 4 bags done and still had a few drops in the syringe. I don't know how anyone can read the markings on the syringe through the still air box.

I'm not going to sweat it too much. If this doesn't fly,I'll do popcorn.

On edit: I don't know why the first video won't show. The link can be clicked through to the 90 second Mycology video tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 180
found my stash of bags, there's 10 left so we must have eaten a couple along the way.

Gonna try to get these inoculated this weekend.

thanks for posting this [MENTION=1485]Slim Pickens[/MENTION] ya gave me the kick in the keister I needed!

Glad to have played a small part in encouraging you [MENTION=4259]Dawn Patrol[/MENTION]. I'm probably "counting my chickens" but I wonder how many bags would be required for 1 shoe box. That information is likely easily available. I'm guessing 2 bags of Uncle Bens would be required for 1 shoebox,but we'll see.

Things are starting to slow down here a little, sort of... I have some spores that need to be grown out. If this works on colonizing the rice. Then the rice can be used to colonize road apples and then fruited. So will be watching... :popcorn:

Glad to have played a small part in encouraging you @Dawn Patrol. I'm probably "counting my chickens" but I wonder how many bags would be required for 1 shoe box. That information is likely easily available. I'm guessing 2 bags of Uncle Bens would be required for 1 shoebox,but we'll see.

two bags should be plenty for a shoe box.

I'm planning to use 5 in a 70qt tub. It'll take a little longer to fully colonize but I want to fruit in a couple months anyway.

I checked my Uncle Bens this afternoon. 1 out of 4 bags shows some light colonization in the bottom view window. All 4 bags felt they were colonizing very well in the upper half of the bags,and were very firm. I broke them up and tried to mix the colonized with the un-colonized portion. I'll check again in a few days to a week.I didn't see any evidence of contamination,but then again I can't see the upper part of the bags.

Ever hopeful. <wink wink>

the name of the product has changed

now its BENS rice

watch for the next bag

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather focus on the people in the shadows who are pulling the strings that so many people unwittingly dance to KM. :)

I'm going to have to get started on substrate. I have a couple bags that look to be ready (I'm a newb,so I could be wrong). Other 2 bags seem to be lagging behind by a day or 2.

IMG_0077.jpg

I had 1 packet of Uncle Bens that was ready. The other 3 were laggards,so I went ahead and put the 1 bag to coco on the 2nd.Looks like we have some activity.

The 3 bags are now getting close,so a few more days and I'll have another shoebox to do.Maybe 2.

Looks like it might be just a tad wetter than I would like.:dunno:

Looks great!!! Nice seeing that mycelia fill out, and looking clean.
Inspiring actually, need to get moving, ty.

Last 3 bags felt like they were done,so I split the 3 between 2 shoeboxes on the 9th. Now at 5 days on the 2 newer boxes,and almost 2 weeks on the first.

Keeping my fingers crossed,and so far dumb luck has smiled on me in spite of my continued errors.Still has a way to go tho.

Big ups to Alabaster for all the help.Always there to lend a helping hand.

IMG_0084.jpgIMG_0082.jpg

Looking good Slim! Hope you get some nice flushes from those.

I think the weather has finally cooled enough for me to try knocking up some bags myself.

Looking good Slim! Hope you get some nice flushes from those.

I think the weather has finally cooled enough for me to try knocking up some bags myself.

I hope so too.

I think dumb luck has become my best friend on this adventure. How long will it last? Stay tuned to find out! :D

Back