Tutorial: DIY Tumbler

420Amigo

Jealous people suck
I already assembled this unit before it was suggested I make it into a "how to" thread on making a tumbler, so my descriptions will have to do.

Material list:

1 - Rotisserie kit. - $25.00
1 - 12" x 16" piece of glass. - $4.00
1 - 1"x4"x8' pine board. - $3.50
1 - 2 gallon plastic pail w/lid $5.00
Screening material. 1 yard $3.00
Misc (screws, glue, etc).

Under $50.00.

Tools:

Chop Saw
Table Saw
Router table w router
Battery Drill w/ bits
Brad Nailer

I first selected the plastic pail. I picked a 2 gallon. (I have seen a pic of one using a 5 gallon bucket). If you use a larger bucket, you will need to re-figure the size of the lumber. Mine works great using 1x4's.

Next I took the bucket over to where the glass panels are kept and selected a pre-cut size that appeared to fit nicely under the bucket. 12" x 16".

On to the lumber aisle to get some pine boards. I could have used a hardwood and planned on a nice finish, but I was on a limited budget. Pine works great. 1 x 4 x 8.

I had the screws, Gorilla glue and sandpaper at home.

I found the rotisserie kit at Walmart earlier.

Time for some pics...

picture.php

Last edited:
Starting with the 12 x 16 glass, I measured and cut the 4 sides out of the pine board. Outer dimensions came to 16 3/4" x 13 1/4".

Next I used the router table to cut the 1/4" slot for the glass. Depth set at 1/4".

With all 4 sides cut at 45 degree angles and the slots cut into each side, I decided to add a filler board on the bottom at each end to stabilise the frame for gluing and nailing. Cut out 2 pieces 11 5/8" long.

I dry fit it all together and then decided I wanted to be able to replace the glass easily if the need arises, so I cut one of the short ends using the Table Saw along the slot I made with the Router Table. (essentially cutting out the slot itself) Here is a pic to explain this. I didn't glue the top piece, it just sits in place while the unit is running so no material rolls off the edge while tumbling. Oh, hey... this was my 420th post!

picture.php

Last edited:
Next I applied glue to all the exposed ends, laid it all out (including the bottom filler pieces) and used a brad nailer to hold everything together until the glue dried.

When everything was tacked together and the glue began to take hold, I slid the glass in and mounted the rails for the rotisserie motor. I had to adjust the height so that the bucket sides were level (or slightly towards the bottom of the bucket). Notice the right side is higher than the left.

picture.php

Oh, I forgot to mention... I drilled the holes in the bucket and lid for the rotisserie rod to fit into. I made it slightly tight so I wouldn't have to use the "forks" that came with the rotisserie kit.

I cut out 2 large, rectangular holes in the bucket with tin snips where the screen will be attached. Next I scraped the cut edges with a utility knife until the cuts were smooth and wouldn't catch the screening material. Mrs Amigo helped me tape and stretch the material over the holes and it was ready to fill.

picture.php

Last edited:
Now this screen material I used is way to big... I am researching some alternatives at the moment. As you can see in the previous pic and below, right away the trichs and smaller material started falling down onto the glass.

picture.php

With a little bit of extra screening thru cheesecloth, I was able to separate the material even better. (won't be necessary to do this when I get the correct material).

NICE !

picture.php

picture.php

You can see that the glass just slides out whenever you need to scrape off the kief.

It also allows for easy cleaning and replacement of the glass.

picture.php

If ya have any questions, fire away!
Here's some more pics. Thanks for checking out the thread!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

very cool 420AMigo and a nice job too:thumright:
you might find a ripped bubble bag from a friend and that would make a much better screen

Thanks for the comments. I'd like to add that you can do this much easier if you don't have the tools I have. I just like making things, so easier is not always part of the thought process.

• Nail or screw it together using square cuts instead of the mitred cuts.
  • Use pieces of wood attached to the sides instead of cutting out the slots with a router for the glass.
  • You can figure out a way to mount the rotisserie kit in a Rubbermaid tub instead of making a box at all. (useful if you wanted to make a larger one with say a 5 gallon bucket) If so, I'd recommend something to catch the kief or your going to have a hell of a time getting it out of the tub.

Use your imagination. All I had was a thought in my head when I went out for parts and had this assembled in short order when I got home.

Feel free to post your own Tumbler pics here. (home made or not)

I seen another design, I believe it was way back from CW days that used circular pieces for the ends of the drum with several braces/wooden rods or something inbetween with the screen wrapped all the way around. This would also fix the height differences at each end. I always wanted to try to build one of these but didnt know the r. kit was available from Walmart. I was thinking you would have to buy a appliance and disassemble it for parts. The kit being available makes me start thinking about it again! Thanks, Good thread. The correct micron silkscreen is available online, just search silkscreening supplies or art supplies. I also like your tray design much better than the tub. With the other drum/correct mesh, and your tray design, I think It could be perfected.

Do you find that it turns too slowly with the kit??? i was thinking about making one of these a while back with a modified multi speed drill.... because i figured it would move a bit quicker the bbq kit i have downstairs..

Cheers
RBB

420Amigo, give this place a look, my son in law contacted them about screen for his T-shirt buisness and they sent him samples of all their mesh from 85-305. He figured they would send a small piece but was suprised when 2yrds of each showed up.

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/site/799934/page/826321

Jam up job you did there, I built one several years back that was posted on CW but it's a pita to load and unload so it just sit's, this design however is great. Have ya seen the Pollinators? Only a couple of additions you'd have a huge one.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone - I bought a round of manna for each one of ya!

I seen another design, I believe it was way back from CW days that used circular pieces for the ends of the drum with several braces/wooden rods or something inbetween with the screen wrapped all the way around.<SNIP> I also like your tray design much better than the tub. With the other drum/correct mesh, and your tray design, I think It could be perfected.

I think I have seen that one once before. Also, I recall one with a 5 gallon bucket. I chose the two gallon because I usually don't have enough dried trim to fill a 5 gallon bucket with my cab grows and it is a more manageable/storable size for me.

Do you find that it turns too slowly with the kit??? i was thinking about making one of these a while back with a modified multi speed drill.... because i figured it would move a bit quicker the bbq kit i have downstairs..

Cheers
RBB

Not at all. You want it to turn slowly so the material constantly is moving and "tumbling" over and over. Also, it keeps the loose trichs from "flying" all over the place. It simply falls out onto the glass below.

To be honest, it works far better than I imagined it would. I had no idea that much Premium material was being thrown away each time I harvested. :kendo2:

420Amigo, give this place a look, my son in law contacted them about screen for his T-shirt buisness and they sent him samples of all their mesh from 85-305. He figured they would send a small piece but was suprised when 2yrds of each showed up.

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/site/799934/page/826321

Jam up job you did there, I built one several years back that was posted on CW but it's a pita to load and unload so it just sit's, this design however is great. Have ya seen the Pollinators? Only a couple of additions you'd have a huge one.

Thanks for the link, I'll be checking it out later today. And now I have to google pollinators to see what thats about. :teeth:

throw some marbes or ball bearings in there man, give that a try. seen folks do that with tumblers before to help move things areound more, bang those trichs off.

Right on, :thumright:

Beautiful DIY project there 420amigo. :adore:

If I ever finish my current projects I would like to give it a try, thanks for posting this tutorial.

throw some marbes or ball bearings in there man, give that a try. seen folks do that with tumblers before to help move things areound more, bang those trichs off.

Good idea. I think what really helped to get the material tumbling was leaving larger pieces of cola stem in the mix when I harvested. Instead of chucking them as I usually do, I cut them up and added them to the trim. It helped to dry out the trim quicker in my opinion.

Back