Tissue Culture - Umami Style

5000..<--interesting.

the hocl plant Info of I have read says they start at under 50 ppms

and that 5 ppms is good enough.[.yeh right..maybe for a reservoir].[.jk]

..of course we like to push things as far as we can....[for science]
tap water is around 2-3ppm. so 5 ppm is basically nothing. All standard tissue culture protocols call for 0.5% bleach for 5-10 min, and that works out to 5000ppm. You can go lower with longer exposure time, but nothing survives my tech.

I hope you got the “Bogie” movie reference..and modification..its a very old movie

ps

we are going to use much higher HOCl ppms since it didn't harm the plants at 1800

My hood setup. Nothing fancy, just a blower, carbon + HEPA filters, and a uv lamp mounted on a husky 4x4 rack with a stainless steel sheet as my work surface. Mostly built from 2" insulation foam, this whole setup cost me a couple hundred bucks and works just as well as any of the commercial systems.

View attachment 356689

View attachment 356690
What size stainless steel table top are you using if you don’t mind me asking?

Hey @Umamiseedco can you give me the specs build of your setup or if there’s anyway you could point me in the right direction to someone that has shown on YouTube or other platform?
So my build is pretty basic. I used a 2x4 husky rack and ordered a 2x4 sheet of stainless steel as the base. The I made the rest of the hood out of foam board insulation (1.5") and the metal ducting tape. I based my design roughly from this guys setup.

I added a uv led strip and a cover so that I can pre sterilize the workspace before running the hepa filters. And I added a carbon pre filter to the fan in the hope of extending the life of the hepa filter. be sure to make the filters replaceable as a hepa is usually only rated to last for about a year.

Back