The current state of the cannabis market needs to evolve!

sticky is as sticky does
https://mjbizdaily.com/cannabis-strain-names-dont-mean-much-give-false-sense-of-diversity/

So some researchers tested thousands of samples of medical cannabis (obtained in NV), and they found a couple things:

1) despite the different names, most samples fell into three distinct groups in terms of cannabinoids and terpenes; there was not much diversity of chemical composition among the samples, just a lot of different names for very similar weed.

2) the market is still focused almost exclusively on THC levels; hardly anyone is working on other cannabinoids (except for CBD cultivars). So the medical effects of different cannabinoids are not being pursued by many growers.

What this says to me is that the market is still in its infancy. With more testing and more emphasis on a diversity of cannabinoids and terpenes, new uses for our favorite weed will be discovered/promoted. THCV, Delta-8 THC, CBG, CBN, etc.

I feel cannabis is much more simple then the lab coats want it to be. Just my opinion though. This strain is good for gout, this one for The munchies this one for my blue balls! Then they come out and say all the strains are basically the same. :dunno:

Then they come out and say all the strains are basically the same. :dunno:
That's not what they are saying...
...medical cannabis (obtained in NV)...
They looked at a specific group.
This is likely more attributable to the producers, than to the plant itself. Limitations crop up when profits are involved...low yielding and long flowering varieties are probably massively under represented.

That seems likely Bob.

2600+ samples is a bunch to end up with such limited variety.

Makes me wonder if Nevada severely restricts what strains are legal like Colorado.

It makes sense to me......Smoking 51 yrs almost everyday, it's all similar, my grail was Fried cut Cred clone, punched every button, other then that pot is pot tastes differ, but the poly hybreds are mostly same

Higher thc does not always mean more potent. Higher terps does not always mean more flavors. People like to generalize for sure.

Different flavors (flavanoids?) can make a big difference in the experience even if the thc is the same amount. I still think the important thing is how everything interacts together. Like thc, cbd, terps, flavnoids, other cannaboids. Ratios to each other and amounts can change flavors and highs no doubt.

It is cool how far we have come for getting samples analyzed now though and seeing what is in them. I remember wondering what is what. Now when you buy hash you get a shiny card with break down of the cannabanoids and terps and all for each strain. I have like 200 of them easily. Also different batches of the same strain can come out with different levels of each thing, depending on how it was grown and all.

Getting down to finding out what works for whatever ailment is important to folks who're trying to treat a medical issue. I know I just love to get high. Chem D has wonderfully enhanced the effects of narcotic analgesics for pain for me in the past though. I think Bob has a point though. What they're missing out on are the strains that aren't being produced commercially. Some of them may have chemicals in them that the popular strains that were tested do not contain. Take for example Dr. Grinspoon. Nobody trying to make any money is going to grow that. Another odd ability that Cannabis has is how it can effect every individual differently. Some of us simply have a different body chemistry. Interesting conversation.

That's not what they are saying...
...medical cannabis (obtained in NV)...
They looked at a specific group.
This is likely more attributable to the producers, than to the plant itself. Limitations crop up when profits are involved...low yielding and long flowering varieties are probably massively under represented.
That’s not going to happen until the tax payers fit the bill. And will be a waste of money imo. Nothing is going to be found that hasn’t already been found. This plants been around a long time and the diversity of the plant is shrinking by the day.
Cannabis is a mood enhancer from my experience and that’s why there is so many different points of view on what it does for you. Distracts the mind therefore helping different ailments for different people.

Nothing is going to be found that hasnt already been found. This plants been around a long time and the diversity of the plant is shrinking by the day.

The study, whether intentional or not, is only aboot what is legally available to med users in NV.....not the whole of what is available world-wide. Any insinuation that the findings apply to ALL cannabis would be disingenuous at best.

Here's something I was thinking aboot a few days ago that might help illustrate my point...
My thoughts were on 'quality' of potency/aromas/flavors. I've had the the opportunity to try aboot a dozen different dispensary strains...I've met and sampled wares from probably a hundred growers I've met through personal contact...and I've met and sampled wares from a couple dozen of us on-line folks. Generally speaking, a vast majority of the personal contact growers outperformed the commercial dispensary producers...and almost all of the on-line growers outperformed the personal contact growers. So I started to wonder why that was? The growers, whether on-line or personal contact, are very similar type folks in their desire to produce a quality result. The difference I noticed between the two groups seems to be the availability of knowledge, help, and genetics. But when you get to the commercial level, quality is not nessesarily a main goal...money is, so you run with just a few varieties of whatever cheap, high yielding, fast flowering genetics you can get your hands on. Walmart style....no Gucci for you.:p

So that's what I attribute the differences to...the study is looking at a very limited, low end sampling.

It makes sense to me......Smoking 51 yrs almost everyday, it's all similar, my grail was Fried cut Cred clone, punched every button, other then that pot is pot tastes differ, but the poly hybreds are mostly same

yes they are not working with sativa "land races"..and they won't because it takes too much time/work and ..

not enough $ in it ..everyone seems stuck on sedation..which is interpreted as a good high

imho just say no to sedation generally but keep a variety around that has it[like 99.999% out there]

Butcher Bob, I think you are right about the differences between dispensary, local guys, and online growers. And I think one reason that you didn't mention is a factor: selection. Online growers can work as a group to select the best cultivars from each "strain," and then share with each other. Individuals growing on their own don't always have that ability. And dispensaries, pffft. They are only in it for the money, and the general non-grower public simply doesn't know any better.

Which brings us back to the LEVEL OF GENERAL KNOWLEDGE about cannabis: It is still pretty low, we have a lot of learning and also educating to do before we begin to really know this plant.

The study, whether intentional or not, is only aboot what is legally available to med users in NV.....not the whole of what is available world-wide. Any insinuation that the findings apply to ALL cannabis would be disingenuous at best.

Here's something I was thinking aboot a few days ago that might help illustrate my point...
My thoughts were on 'quality' of potency/aromas/flavors. I've had the the opportunity to try aboot a dozen different dispensary strains...I've met and sampled wares from probably a hundred growers I've met through personal contact...and I've met and sampled wares from a couple dozen of us on-line folks. Generally speaking, a vast majority of the personal contact growers outperformed the commercial dispensary producers...and almost all of the on-line growers outperformed the personal contact growers. So I started to wonder why that was? The growers, whether on-line or personal contact, are very similar type folks in their desire to produce a quality result. The difference I noticed between the two groups seems to be the availability of knowledge, help, and genetics. But when you get to the commercial level, quality is not nessesarily a main goal...money is, so you run with just a few varieties of whatever cheap, high yielding, fast flowering genetics you can get your hands on. Walmart style....no Gucci for you.:p

So that's what I attribute the differences to...the study is looking at a very limited, low end sampling.

I still stick by my statement that your not going to find anything that hasn’t already been found. Of course commercial producers are not going to play with the long flower low yielding strains, I’ve never once seen anyone with money say “ let’s theow away are profits to try to find something special that we won’t be able to profit off of. When it comes down to it it’s all cannabis regardless where the meter stops on the indica/sativa scale.
The cleanliness of the high is where it is at for me. And you will find out just howclean your product is in concentrates. What’s left on the mail and how dirty the q tip says a lot more to me then the their favorite flavor of the month. A lot of people’s weed gives me a cloudiness to the high weather it’s sativaor indica. But most strains grown to perfection the cloudyness goes away.

I agree to a point [MENTION=1541]Variety[/MENTION] but I would like to see more research into the lesser understood canabanoids Thcv and start to move away from the indica/Sativa/hybrid naming system. I have all the proof I need that THC% does not mean “strong pot” and I also know the effects I get from the NLD sativas is way different than my hybrids (love them all but a time and place for everything). I think that has more to do with all of the med symptom to strain mappings but the test pool is too shallow (commercially viable hybrids). If it could be shown what the differences actually are, there would be a case to get the less producing strains their place and price point in the market as the demand would help ramp that up. I think we are also long overdue for dna validated tracking systems for the cuts that are being sold. Even at the same dispensary the same strains are all over the place to put a stamp on any of them. We’ll find one to help with your blue balls :jester:

Market is flooded with, chem, cookie, OG, blah blah hybrids which at this point just keep getting recombined over and over again. So many seed producers just take a single cut, reverse it and hit up all there other so called elite nips, and sell um without ever even looking at just one of the hybrid populations they have created.

Legal cannabis market is a lot of quasi hybrids that even the creator hasn’t a clue what will come from the seed. Everything offered are mutts, which I guess could be a good thing, lines with gobs of diversity.

Buyers, buy mainly on name, and seed producer hype, these picks they take photos of is one plant in a population of who knows how many, these guys lie through there teeth.

Point is, in time MJ is gonna be a giant single muddled up line, bland as you will find. Will all be basically the same shit.

So when looking at Bobs initial post, I’d say it proves the point, it’s all the same shit, hehe

I still stick by my statement that your not going to find anything that hasnt already been found.

I think you are equating what the study "found" with what the community as a whole has "found".

Let me try another example...
If you were to sample beer, from US stores in the 70s, you would only be looking at commercial crap. Michelob was considered a 'premium' beer...and craft beer was considered a novelty. But that is certainly not true today. Now in the US, commercial beer is considered as low end, and craft beer is considered as 'premium'. But nothing has changed on the whole in that time...any Belgian could attest to that. In effect, the US in the 70s had just not 'found' what was already available when looked at world-wide.

I think we will see similar types of improvements in the cannabis industry side of things over the next couple decades. :)

I agree [MENTION=555]Butcher Bob[/MENTION] - I just hope we get to a place where we can globally source from many of the strains home of origin before they disappear, would be great to walk into a store and grab a Thai or a Colombian the same way I can get a German Pilsner or a Belgian lambic

I think you are equating what the study "found" with what the community as a whole has "found".

Let me try another example...
If you were to sample beer, from US stores in the 70s, you would only be looking at commercial crap. Michelob was considered a 'premium' beer...and craft beer was considered a novelty. But that is certainly not true today. Now in the US, commercial beer is considered as low end, and craft beer is considered as 'premium'. But nothing has changed on the whole in that time...any Belgian could attest to that. In effect, the US in the 70s had just not 'found' what was already available when looked at world-wide.

I think we will see similar types of improvements in the cannabis industry side of things over the next couple decades. :)

I don’t know bro the generations seem to be dulling down and people are more happy over hype pretty stuff then anything else. I don’t see people going back to ugly long flower strains. Those will strictly be for homegrowers/connesuers. And if we could have mom and pop shops I could see it swinging in your Vision but the corporate take over is happening in all aspects of our lives especially the canna industry. Before we knowbit there will only be a hand full of known stores all over the country. That’s how I see it going.

Sure Variety, what you say is true, BUT at the same time, the consumers are becoming more educated about the products available, and the science is getting better. In twenty years (or less) consumers will know more and our state of knowledge about cannabis will be much better. I see a definite market for cultivars that are higher in a desired cannabinoid/terpene/combination. Soon enough, you'll be able to go into a dispensary and say, I'm looking for something high in THCV, etc. The market is moving away from being dominated by high-THC products, albeit slowly. Federal legalization and delisting of cannabis will make all of this happen a lot faster.

...would be great to walk into a store and grab a Thai or a Colombian the same way I can get a German Pilsner or a Belgian lambic
Amen to that. :)

...the generations seem to be dulling down...

...if we could have mom and pop shops...
Eh, I'm not so sure. Wasn't that long ago most folks' opinion was "pot is pot"...now they're selecting from a menu of strains. Used to be difficult to market more expensive product that is higher quality, because most folks would respond with "But the other stuff is cheaper"...but now a lot of folks are willing to pay more for something they view as 'premium'. Yes, the changes happen very slowly, but it is changing.

The corporate world will always try to squash the little guy, but there will be push back. In MI the corporate world has done it's best to eliminate the little guy (caretakers), stopping their ability to supply the commercial market. But there is already push back...dispensaries not tied to grow ops, and med patients, have joined with the little guys to work to change the laws governing that. And again, these things happen very slowly, but the process is happening.

...the consumers are becoming more educated about the products available, and the science is getting better.
The market is moving away from being dominated by high-THC products, albeit slowly. Federal legalization and delisting of cannabis will make all of this happen a lot faster.
As we continue to knock down barriers, I think we will eventually get to a point where real breeding will occur, instead of all this polyhybrid pollen chucking nonsense. A point where large scale trait selection and progeny testing will become part of the process again. :)

A6667B60-C42F-4B92-9A4D-39EE8ADD59EB.jpgUgh! I hope you guys are right but hoping is just that hope. Look at the current seed market right now. The femmed seeds are everywhere then they fem the fems and fem them again and now we have the ufc middle weight champ growing bitch tits.
Most of if not all landrace strains have already been compromised from sharing of seeds that dates back decades if not longer! Breeder’s goals today is to have as many strains as possible take sin city for example.
Forgot to add this link
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tm...adesanya-ufc-253-body-weed-fight-paulo-costa/
His doctor told him it’s from smoking to much weed. Once the lab coats take over they will come up with more scare tactics like “ if you were infected with covid you shouldn’t smoke weed anymore because it will bring on early lung issues, take this canna pill safely instead. They will most likely offer oral or for the rectum and that’s the choices you will get.
This is how I see cannabis evolving once federal legal.

Last edited:
Back