Still at it. Still Keeping it Simple KIS

Here are my
Notes from my soil. It’s basically the coots mix but I also produce all my own worm castings in-house. Sometimes I’ll buy some fungal dominated compost from kis Organics( though I just cut down some trees and spread all the wood chips across my yard, so in a year or two, I’ll be able to have my own fungal compost.)

to each 1 cubic foot of soil

1/3 peat and coir
1/3 aeration
1/3 compost

1 cup kelp meal
1 cup neem meal or an equal amount of neem & karanja mix
1 cup malted barley
½ cup alfalfa

1 cup of powdered/crushed limestone or more exactly Calcium Carbonate CaCO3 so Oyster Shell Powder/flour can also be used as it is also a pure Calcium Carbonate material

1/2 cup (1 TBLS per gal) Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) available at all DIY stores but you must get the material in the garden section and not in the home remodel section. There are 2 forms of gypsum so make sure you get the one for soil and not walls...

Finally there is the rock dust which I recommend 3 cups of either basalt or granite. Only these 2 materials are 'paramagnetic' which is an integral part of the CeC discussion (Cation exchange Capacity).

For my worm bin, I do something similar, where I have a mixture of Horse Manure, that is aged, mixed in with cardboard that I cut into small pieces and soak, along with brown leaves from the garden, throughout my normal growing season I’ll sporadically just collect any green and brown leaves from all native plants and add that in, I also add some alfalfa meal from time to time, neem meal and karanja , and a little bit of kelp and of course ground up egg shells.

That’s awesome and I have a similar approach that has been working really well the past however many years. There was oyster shell flour and a lot of similar to what you have mentioned above originally and sometimes another handful here and there but I’ve been mostly re-ammending with sustain (turkey poop not targeted at the canna market but works really well), worm castings and some fresh myco if things get too dried out. I have a storage bin where the soil from the first run (I do perpetual so not quite the whole run, as each plant comes out) it goes in the bin, gets reammended and sits while the next run is going on. Works really well as the roots literally get eaten up when the soil is happy. I pull the big part of the root ball out but still. Once I. A while I need to water in some Epsom salts or calmag but other than that it’s been working like a champ.

Add to that a blumat system and it’s basically on auto pilot - oddly enough the less my dumb ass messes with things they better it turns out 🙈

I only wish the base soil I started with didn’t have perlite in it as it’s dusty when it breaks down and I need to wear a mask when I mix things up a lot.
I’ve been looking for an alternative for perlite in the NE. Pumice isn’t widely available here and I can buy lava stone but in small quantities from one of the big box stores. I’m open to new ideas. I’ve settled on the brown clay balls as the best in the middle option in terms of prices and availability.

Curious as to ratios for ingredients?!
yeh me too..

bale of premix ..couple bags of worm castings..the hen pellets...a bag sure is a lot maybe half..nah maybea bag..

kelp ..a big yogurt container..

guano ..the same

just went by feel..eyeball..the question I always asked was ..

is this too much?

nah..[maybe]

also threw-in perlite vermiculite ..calcium slurry.potassium sulfate...hydrotron

I think tg3boinbly problems I had was when I added p[even] pre charged coco

had to feed a few container ca; nit and mag nit

I added this mixed to the recycled stuff from the previous grow

I only feed water from the hose..I KNOW dry mixable fulfil and kelp etc teas and potassium sulfate would maybe help

I’ve been looking for an alternative for perlite in the NE. Pumice isn’t widely available here and I can buy lava stone but in small quantities from one of the big box stores. I’m open to new ideas. I’ve settled on the brown clay balls as the best in the middle option in terms of prices and availability.

I’ve started mixing in rice hulls to see how that does, so far so good and it’s supposed to add some silica as well. Need to give it a few more runs to see how it goes before I ditch and rebuild

I’ve started mixing in rice hulls to see how that does, so far so good and it’s supposed to add some silica as well. Need to give it a few more runs to see how it goes before I ditch and rebuildI
I do add rice hulls as well but they aren’t permanent. I bought a 50 lb bag and still have a 1/3 left. Recently I’ve been using smaller pots which means I’ve been reamending and adding rice hulls each time.

Ive also been using the 5 gallon bucket of KIS amendments and re-using my soil. This recent grow was one of the best as I think I made it a bit hotter than the premix bags. I also add insect frass from my kids science project lol.
Very happy with the results.

aslo...

TSUP Y'ALL!!

hope all is well!

I chopped before I left for the holidays and expect to get home a workshop full of buds ready to be put into brown shopping bag for a week then into jars.
My first harvest in a while.
I miss growing perpetually but man oh man it’s been a lot of work for the past 23 years lol. It’s a time suck. I realized I was missing things in my life that matter. Spending 2-3 hours on a personal grow a day and more if it’s a seed run.
Who enjoys making seeds?
Who enjoys cleaning them by hand, counting and packaging them?
NOT ME :beach:
Stay safe y’all.

The delicious flowers hung for almost 2 weeks and are in shopping bags.
As always I am the chief quality control officer here so I stashed a few dry buds in a jar and have been smoking them. The KIS ingredients allow you to smoke the flowers without the need to let the flowers cure. The quality is obviously better but when I grew with 3 part GH you couldn’t smoke that until it was very well cured. And then… yuk.
I’m very happy with the results.

You can mail order the bulk supplements from them and add to your own compost/dirt mix.
I did the same with KIS. When you buy their bill priced amendments (the largest size) it’s only about a $1 more per pound then what I could buy locally when I have a local store import them but I have a much more reasonable sized bag instead of a 50 lb bag.

Hi all. I’m back at it with one more crop before summer heat and schedule allows me a complete shutdown.
I haven’t taken a clone or kept a mom in years. Each grow has been from seed for personal use and research and marketing for mothers finest.
The KIS 5 gallon bucket of nutrient to refresh the soil is going a long way.
The last plants did well through harvest with no additional nutrients. I did too dress a few with more fresh soil.
This round I’ll add more frass as the worm farm is full and I need to use the stuff.
I’ll also add some bloom focused supplements once I figure out what’s best.
Happy 🌞 day!

Back