SourDough Breads

The problem with freezing bread is that it gets freezer burn pretty quick. I used to put loaves in a zip loc freezer bag so they’d keep better.

The problem with freezing bread is that it gets freezer burn pretty quick. I used to put loaves in a zip loc freezer bag so they’d keep better.

Big,I freeze my bread for aprox 2-3 weeks and than its time to bake again...and just like Rocky using proper Ziploc freezer bags would keep bread without a freezer burn for a period of time....30-60 days in the freezer should not be a problem imho...

In a day when I was hunting we would double wrap our moose meat in the wax butchers paper and 2 years later there was no issue with freezer burn....we did not have Ziploc in them days yet...lol...

At present time I am using Ziploc bags inside a 2qt sealed jar for long term storage 12-18 month also as a double check of the system I also double Ziploc bag and freeze,to see if it dries out faster or not....freezing will cause dessication of herb,meat or bread...:puffpuffpass:

I baked 4 french breads today,the usual sourdough,sprouted grain variety bread puffpuffffff....:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• IMG_1547 (2).jpg
    IMG_1547 (2).jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1548 (2).jpg
    IMG_1548 (2).jpg
    212 KB · Views: 1
Now that you reminded me,went to burp the jars and snaped a pic....68% and 67% RH yeaa....

Your vegie bus.is one that loves manual labour and its like working on a farm,every minute you got free you can spent it working or every dolar you saved,you can use it for something...lol...it never ends imho....but I do admire your dedication to hard work and lots of it too....:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• IMG_1549 (2).jpg
    IMG_1549 (2).jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 4
"First, curious what the pot feels like at 68% RH...does it feel wet...does it feel dry?"....

If I roll a joint with 68% RH reading in the jar,it will combast at a nice slow burning rate and I will have a chance to taste/smell the terpenes and savour the experience and no its not wet or dry like hay.It will go into the freezer tomorrow in Ziploc bags.

Cuban cigar are stored at simular temps and RH...my basement temp.does not change much during the year 63-68F during the year...:puffpuffpass:

I am not saying that this is the only way to dry,cure or store just my way to improve my herb toking...:puffpuffpass:

Good to see you using whole wheat flour and the good result,soo how did you get that fancy art work on your bread to stay in place while baking???....what,no pot leaf???....lol....

soo,the taste and the mouth appeal is to your liking eh?....lol...see,if you give somebody a piece of bread to try,they will tell you when asked that it was good(a compliment),which does not mean anything to you as no info was given but just like you,if you go back for seconds that is the sign of approval,me thinx...what does "good" mean anyways and to whom?....

Your rooting cutting is making good progress...

For me in the end it was a tie between the cloner(took less time) and the cubes(it took longer) but they all but 2 out of 10 rooted...practise,practise just like anything,no?....:puffpuffpass:

This is my garden deer,likes my growing peas,catnip,lettuce etc...only got 8 peas left and busy marking its territory too grrr....:014:

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1555 (2).jpg
    IMG_1555 (2).jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1
P.s....I stuck a hygrometer into the freezer and it was -10C and 16% RH fairly dry and a reason why your meat might "freezer burn" or sacred herb dry out if not properly packaged/stored....:puffpuffpass:

Todays bake is from a jamaican whole wheat flour,the sourdough french breads puffpufff.....:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• IMG_1579 (2).jpg
    IMG_1579 (2).jpg
    178 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1577 (2).jpg
    IMG_1577 (2).jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 0
Also baked 3 regular S/D bread loaves and my big meal tadaaaa..."chicken soup"....keeps me alive ...:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• IMG_1583 (2).jpg
    IMG_1583 (2).jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 5
Funny thing about the deer eating the vegies in my small garden that it did not touch(not yet) the two wild/volunteers plants???....probably not smelling,right to her...:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• IMG_1587 (2)_LI.jpg
    IMG_1587 (2)_LI.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 4
A miracle happened yeaaa...:chef:

I forgot that I made a back up for SanFran.sourdough culture from 2010 and today I found it in the freezer yeaaaaa......sooooo,I started a new jar with the frozen flakes, 1 1/2 cups of white flour,2 cups of hot water and ofcourse gotta feed it everyday and bring it to its mature strength for bread baking.

I am very happy as also in the same storage bag found another 3 envelopes with different SD frozen cultures that I used dozen years ago or so,they all should re-hydrate and work like new again....lol...its gonna be fun exploring the different tastes this winter yeaaa....:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• IMG_1674 (2).jpg
    IMG_1674 (2).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1672 (2).jpg
    IMG_1672 (2).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 3
I have smeared 1/4 cup of SD culture on a wax paper and let it dry and break it up in smaller pieces and freeze it....tadaaaa....:puffpuffpass:

Had to bring my drying buds upstairs from the basemaent,cause the humidity is high with the rain we had...
WHxC99 on the left and FBxC99 on the right....

Chicken soup slowly starting to simmer yeaaa.....

I am doing the sourdough culture backup later on today as I just fed the culture and in few hours it will be more active and than I"ll do it....I am suprised how vigourous the culture was/is after 10 years storage in the freezer,dumbfounded I say...puffpufff....:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1757 (2).jpg
    IMG_1757 (2).jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes it was wildly succesfull and made me happy....at present time I am drying a sample of the SF culture by the south window...gotta have a backup....:puffpuffpass:

Ribs,its even better if you take some with you in a thermos for lunch while working/quading in the bush puffpuffff....:clap:

Annaba,that is the way I do it too just like the article,thanx for a link...only difference that after I made flakes,I stored them in freezer bag and froze it and after 10 years it came back roaring to life yeaaa....
I think the drying is the key to success here and storing in a air seal jar makes the difference too..:puffpuffpass:

Its starting to flake,not dry yet and no rush.... :puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• IMG_1763 (2).jpg
    IMG_1763 (2).jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1765 (2).jpg
    IMG_1765 (2).jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 1
The sourdough culture has dried out and flaked and I put it in a freezer baggie and an air tight sealed jar from canning tadaaaaaa....I should be good for another 10 years if I am still alive...lol...

Picture of some smaller wood fossils,nice rocks that I found kayaking etc....:puffpuffpass:

Attachments

• IMG_1768 (2).jpg
    IMG_1768 (2).jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1772 (2).jpg
    IMG_1772 (2).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1774 (2).jpg
    IMG_1774 (2).jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 3
Wow 5000 years old yeast,nice find...don't forget in them days grain berry was somewhat different from what we use today,kamut,farro,teff etc....are very pleasant to eat and they also have a good mouth appeal....

There was something simular with beer yeast(3-5 years ago??) that was many thousands of years old and it worked just fine once refreshed....

My 10 year old frozen/dried SanFran sourdough culture came roaring to life,no ill effects...nice find BushDr..thanx eh...:puffpuffpass:

I am getting ready to bake tomorrow as its supposed to rain whole day long yeaa....and yes,I routinely use kamut,farro,teff for bread baking....

Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show - "I Got Stoned An

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyA4FKVAtQw&list=PLdQHbWBFQj_we0V599aCCBjPJ28V9_uPU&index=164

Back