Side by side, Soiless vs Sensi Soil premix

Joe Dirt

Hey y'all.

when I was at the shop buying my peat/casting/pumace mix, I saw Sensi Soil. Its a water only bag mix. Noting but water - but its 30$ a bag. So I bought one.
I have been using the Peat/casting/pumace mix with PbP, LK, CalMag, Great white Chum (free sample feeds mycos)and roots accelerator from H&G.
The plants are absolutely beautiful.
Next to them are 2 pots with duplicate clones, that were from my mother stock in Sensi Soil.
Frankly I can not tell the difference in growth or health of the plants.
They look identical by all accounts except the soil plants are taller because they vegged longer and have more buds because of it.
They smell alike and look alike.
It will be interesting to see how they smoke.

Do y'all have experience in any premixed water only products?
I suppose I could just get a giant bin and mix my own.
Could you 'No Till' this stuff?

Since I have the nutes, I will be using them - along with all the new freebies I got at the CannaBiz, and probably would not switch over completely unless the burn/taste and overall resin is better.

I shot better pics - i have to get them off my camera.

This is for personal only, so yield is a consideration, but not requirement.

Attachments

• IMG_6515.jpg
    IMG_6515.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6540.jpg
    IMG_6540.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7196.jpg
    IMG_7196.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7198.jpg
    IMG_7198.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Ive used roots organic. Seems like all the stuff you can buy arent designed to run from start to finish unless you did a large volume of soil I suppose. Ive also used doc buds kit and subcools super soil mix which one has to kix. Currently running Coots mix and a mix I did myself based on the 3LB style. The last two currently are performing better than anything elae Ive done. I have assumptions as to why, but basically Id rather mix my own vs buying someone's from the store, and i favor mixes that appear to be more in line with what a soil test should show.

How big are the bags Joe ?
1.5 cu ft.for $30 - the bags of soilless are 1cu ft for $10
With the cost of nutes and time mixing, it seems like a bargain at my small scale.
This is for a small 8x10 tent - personal use, so yield is a consideration but not the goal.
:DJ:

Joe, on the soil, is it supposed to last whole grow with just watering, I am a closet dirt grower, kitty litter buckets, 7 gal to top usually filled to six, no nuts mixing would be a dream as well, under a 600watter

Just pulled my log up to this grow

Joe, on the soil, is it supposed to last whole grow with just watering, I am a closet dirt grower, kitty litter buckets, 7 gal to top usually filled to six, no nuts mixing would be a dream as well, under a 600watter

Just pulled my log up to this grow

Yes - whole grow.
When you start your plants it says put a little nutritious soil on top, and then water only throughout the life of the plant.

I just clipped a sample nun at 8weeks of the same strain from each process to see if there is a difference in burn quality at this point in the flush.

One more week and they all come down.

I see no yield or quality difference at this time. Twins.:lt2:
peace

Its only been a short time drying and sweating out the small bud samples I clipped for the test.
So far the bud grown in the water only soil burns clean and leaves a white ash with the BOMB flavors of the RudeBoi standing out over anything.

I took a few one hitters full and went out and worked on the landscaping with Lady Dirt and baby boy dirt. Nice motivating terpy tasty high.:applause:

I'll bust into the Botanicare nug later tonight.

I have noticed...
The botanicare plants I gave a single feeding of H&G Bud XL started yellowing earlier than the straight botanicare plants. The H&G plant are now exhibiting a bit of rust spots/Mg deficiency.
The plant I added zoo doo to is stacking calyx's more than the others - just a tiny bit though - nothing fatal.
They are all happy as far as I am concerned.
I did the final flush with Clearex and will wait until Sunday or Monday to take everything down.
The final stretch! Yes!!:puffpuffpass::DJ:

Nice. Good information. Simple is always the way to go. Especially if it financially makes sense. I pay 20-25 cdn dollar for a bale of promix hp

Its 3.8 cubic feet. Ive ran all kinds of nutrient products. They all seem to work to some degree. Its nice to see some one has finally made a product u just add water too.

Nice. Good information. Simple is always the way to go. Especially if it financially makes sense. I pay 20-25 cdn dollar for a bale of promix hp

Its 3.8 cubic feet. Ive ran all kinds of nutrient products. They all seem to work to some degree. Its nice to see some one has finally made a product u just add water too.
its all in balance
:puffpuffpass:

Well -thats how plants grow LOL.
The guys at the hydro shop was not surprised I had the same results.
Plants will take NPK however they can. Petes professional blue stuff, botanicare, rocks and bugs - the plant doesn't care.
So... my clones are ready to transplant for the final veg - then they get put into bloom with the current crop that has already started blooming.

Today I am going to the store to buy 2 more bags of Sensi Soil. In anticipation of a busy work schedule this summer - water only will be a huge help to me and my family.

Really - I wish I had the time and wanted to put in the effort to run Botanicare PbP again - but SHIT! If it fails - then I can always switch back. Whats the worst that can happen - low yield? Who cares - its all for my wife and I. There is no financial consideration either... who cares at this level :D

The flowers burn to a nice clean white ash and taste great.

This is a mix that you can make at home. I can take a photograph of the ingredients and you can mix them yourself
Outdoor growers have been mixing their own super soil for ever
This is nothing new.

This is just an alternative that I found at my local shop.
:whacky114:

Forgot to update this thread.
I am happy with the results of the Sensi soil.
The GSC has a defficiency at the last 2 weeks of bloom. Leafs yellowing from inside out to tips. Otherwise the plants are healthy to the end.
Yield is a bit lower due to lack of bloom enhancers but that's fine with me. Taste better thank any of that crap with kool bloom or other heavy nutes.
When I went back to the store to get more, they switched to KIS soil.
It's local to me and used by some 502 folks that are high quality producers.
They sell amendments to recharge the soil after a few uses.
I'm happy with the time savings and overall quality of the Sensi Soil but I bought a few bags of KIS to test.
Sensi is 9$ cheaper at a new place per bag. Worth trying.
Cheers.

Sorry for the bump but no searching KIS, How did it compare?

Edit-Nevermind, I found it.

Last edited:
Hi:puffpuffpass:
Keep It Simple Farms.
I’ve been using it to start my seedings and clones then transplanting into sensi soil for the bloom.
Now that I’m out of KIS it’s time to get KIS with biochar. Yum
I was at KIS this week and walked through their bulk supplement area and was amazed at the selection of everything from neem cake to oyster shell etc.
I’ll do some more testing I suppose. At least it’s simple.
I do really like sensi soil. I am giving KIS another shot. Maybe a mix of them both is the ticket ?:thumbsup:
One thing I must say is that I have my life back.
Today I worked 16 hours on the day job and came home to some happy girls that just needed a quick drink. No muss no fuss. :catchawave:
Peace

Back