Shov Summer Closet Autos

Shovelhandle

Tuesdays, as usual.
Three Forbidden Runtz and a Gorilla Cookie from Fast Buds. One Runtz didn't so replaced her with another Gorilla Cookie.
They are being shown up by the cats' new grass thatch. Under the 300W led at 50%. Light potting mix.
They were on the deck but the weather hasn't been the best for them, a little extreme temps, wind and precip. So they be closeted for the time being.

Cookies on the left.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6-27-2023.jpg
    6-27-2023.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 135
No one can argue with your success in the closet. Do you find advantages in sprouting in the large final pot/bag as opposed to up-potting?

it was recommended for autos not to transplant or to transplant very early. I've sprouted in cups and transplanted into bags within the first week. It's tricky not to over water yet have the medium available to the growing roots.

Looking good, Shov. I imagine you have a system for watering small amounts and getting the water where you want it. I use a bicycle water bottle with nipple top, can deliver small amounts fairly precisely. :2c:

Oh Yes! I have a system, I have all kinds of systems... :exactly:
Plant in a prepared soil, not too dry nor too damp.:juggle: No nipples...
About a cup of water at a radius of a couple of inches around each sprout. Increase radius and volume each watering every few days. When the plants are 8" or so the get a full watering, one qt. to each three gallon bag. Water/feed again when it feels 'a quart down' which may be daily by the peak of growth. I don't see runoff but the sides of the bags may weep a little. Plants are run to dry at harvest.

One Week

Pale and slow but still alive. I get nervous when autos start so slowly that they will be xtra-runty. We'll see...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-05-08-34-38-829.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-05-08-34-38-829.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 114
What size bags are you using?

The only times that i've grown the chocolate trip autos, they've been in shallow containers, so that they WOULD stay small. That was so that i could grow and test out a larger number of plants in the space. But i did get to torture the photoperiod stages with light changes and over/under watering and they all remained female, yay. Next chance that i get to try them, it will be in the bags that came with the Mars tent. I do want to see what sort of size they can squeeze out. Small is great for here, we have no shelter from the wind, and we DO get the wind. (I've never grown outdoors, but would like to make sure that these will survive if we EVER...) Right now, the winter bunching onions that are really stout (and way past ready to split) have had a few that lodged from the wind. That was a bit off subject, sorry.

Another poor start. They look washed out, bleached out. Not overwater and I raised and led and turned it down and still no improvement. The soil was a heavy potting mix I picked up to plant hydrangea in the years. I amended with perlite and peat moss. But something is wrong.
I'll get some promix and start some new seed next week. I have no more autos or fem so I'll have to start a few regs and hope for females. But there are two surprise seeds from the last grow of Bubba Chunk. And as there were no males around they should be females.

The four sprouts are not happy. And as they are autos I have no reason to believe that they will recover this stunting. So I'll start four seeds I believe to be feminized as they miraculously appeared in closet grows with no males or hermies evident. They are two Cred x Cheese and two Bubba Chunk. I'll pick up HP promix or a light potting mix (not the 'Happy Farmer' mix the stunts are in now). :clown:

Hay Shove sorry yer having trouble with the lil-ones. Food for thought. I was having the same trouble with some sprouts, they just weren't growing right. Then I started to look into the dirt mixes, soils and composts. I found on the net that people were putting compost with manure on there gardens and everything was dyeing. Turns out that farmers were spraying their hay fields to get rid of the weeds, their cows and such ate this hay and their manure still had this herbicide init. We got to watch where we get our compost from. Even if we get it from the guys barn down the road if he sprays his fields dont do it.

^^^Spraying a hay field for weeds is nuts. Must be some badass weeds.

Kripes.
The new seedlings are having a tough time of it. I was away for a few days and Mrs was here. Maybe she watered with the well water which is getting over shock treatment. I have a watering can right next to the plants with carboy water. They are in HP Promix and were nice a few days back. The original four plants are still alive yet toasted to a crisp from hot soil. Had the newer seedlings thrived I'd put them in bags and move the crispys to the deck.
:dunno:

Sorry you're having trouble, Shove. If it's any consolation, you having problems helps me feel a little bit better about my own failing crop. I'm at 7 weeks flowering today and I can't seem to steer my plants from certain death. I've never failed this bad since I started growing 20 years ago

No worries. Past success carry me by. And my intake is petty. I like to grow anything to it's best conclusion, veggies, houseplant, shrub and tree. But the variables in indoor growing make it less reliable and yet control of variables makes it more reliable. Good luck to us! :)

So the original four autos are toast but still kicking trying to get over the mysterious trauma. They live on the deck and are starting to flower.

The three seeds I started from Bubba Chunk and Cred Cheese were rare finds so I figure they will be female. They also were burned but are looking pretty good. I'll introduce them on Tuesday. Today I started some control sample seeds, three cups of hp promix and three cups of the Jolly Farmer potting mix. I am using store bought water. I just want to see if there is any problem with the mediums. If they are both good then the problem was the water. The well was shocked with chlorine and the plants may have been mistakenly given the well water before all the chlorine was gone.

Plants are recovering pretty well. Fed them and the outdoor plants AN grow nutrients.
The cups are a control test for the soils, the rectangle pot has basil seed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 8-1-2023.jpg
    8-1-2023.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 63
Back