PW Pruning

Yeah this method rules. I have a Dr. Dre in flowering that I pistilwhipped at about 60 days now. It has one bud that is 19 inches, like 4 or 5 16 inchers, and a couple more at a foot or bigger. I need to get around to taking pics since its some of the biggest buds Ive ever seen grown in soil for sure.

Please post pics NocturnalG. I'm interested. My results were inconclusive this past run, due to many other factors.

"My results were inconclusive this past run"
not sure what ya mean?
i don't think pw or anyone said this increases #s, just shifts it farther up the stick..that's been my experience anyway...

That's what I mean- I did full on PW this last time. If I were going to unfairly draw conclusions (and I'm not), I would say that the PW method caused a marked increase in stretch and very little increase in bud-to-popcorn ratios. But I had other environmental parameters that were off the mark so my experiment with the PW method was... inconclusive. :)

hope you'll share some pics noc, everyone loves the big 'ens

" If I were going to unfairly draw conclusions (and I'm not), I would say that the PW method caused a marked increase in stretch and very little increase in bud-to-popcorn ratios. But I had other environmental parameters that were off the mark so my experiment with the PW method was... Inconclusive."

for the sake of clarity, i think your high heat* (*other environmental parameters) is what caused your 'marked increase in stretch', not the pruning. i've used this off and on for many years and have never seen that phenomenon.

Exactly what I said Gonejah. You on them good herbs fo sho!

Last edited:
AreYouKind came over and showed me how to hack and slash on my girls and am enjoying the first room's appearance with the technique applied.

Will see what's up on weigh day but there's definitely no larf to deal with like before so trimming will be a breeze.

I took some pics but still need to edit them. If they didn't come out ill try and take more as they have like 5 days left. Big buds no popcorn for sure. I didn't take pics of the bottom of the plants just the tops so Ill try to get some upskirt pics as well.

After you prune & new branches come out, would FIMing help? Or would doing a FIM on top of the pruning make too many branches? Would FIMing work better out doors in this case?

Seems adding a FIM would be a step to far indoors, unless you had a warehouse you were growing in. :-)

I have some Puna Budder & Skunk #1 going ID now. Only been under the lights a few days, so soon I'll be topping. Then I'll FIM one or two. See what happens.

Great thread. Thanks every one for the pics & tutorial.

ZZ

Great thead. I've looked for a long, long time for the pics that go with PW's now extinct (but saved!) thread at CW that detailed this technique. I'm very grateful, gon - thank you! I'm rather surprised to find that I've been doing this technique (at least the cutting part) pretty much perfectly even without seeing the pix. I need improvement on selecting branches, though. I think I've got it down with a few plants that I'm working for my next grow, which should start at the end of the week. All it takes is a little forethought and some motivation.

I'm curious if pruning during veg is better than waiting to prune near bloom

I've found, as PW stated in his original CW thread, that the earlier the major pruning is done, the better. I top and prune as much as I can as early as I can, and then usually once a week thru roughly the second week of flower. I've seen better results doing the heavy pruning while the plant is still in veg than I have during flower or even just before flower.

I've done both

After you prune & new branches come out, would FIMing help? Or would doing a FIM on top of the pruning make too many branches?

PW advocated the single top, a one time event. After that, the lateral branches are trimmed to the third node, but he did not recommend any further topping/FIMing. There are points of diminishing return where one will not get out of the plant what one puts into it, and FIMing in addition to topping seems to be one of those inflection points.

I've found, as PW stated in his original CW thread, that the earlier the major pruning is done, the better. I top and prune as much as I can as early as I can, and then usually once a week thru roughly the second week of flower. I've seen better results doing the heavy pruning while the plant is still in veg than I have during flower or even just before flower.
Thanks for the follow up.

Another skilled member writes:
I start when they're in veg and only 6 inches tall or so, and try to finish by day 14 of flower

As I understand, pruning after the 1st 2 weeks of flower is not good. I don't cut during flower any way, but from I have read, there is a 2 week window after flower phase starts.

I mentioned I was gonna FIM some stuff a few posts back.

Turned out very nice, got a few more bud sites.

ZZ

As I understand, pruning after the 1st 2 weeks of flower is not good. I don't cut during flower any way, but from I have read, there is a 2 week window after flower phase starts.

I mentioned I was gonna FIM some stuff a few posts back.

Turned out very nice, got a few more bud sites.

ZZ

Great to know. The only time I've had a plant herm bad was after FIMing in the 3rd week.

outwest

As I understand, pruning after the 1st 2 weeks of flower is not good
Seeing is believing, I'll stick with:
I start when they're in veg and only 6 inches tall or so, and try to finish by day 14 of flower
Ow, I've cut on plants later than that. I don't think you can assume that stress will,affect every plant like that

I yield way more quality nugs with heavy prunning,

Ive been doing it like Gonejah for 3-4 years now, definetly a must indoors,

these clones were vegged 2 months with heavy pruning, pulled over 250g per plant not including hash and popcorn,

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Kind of a pain in the ass to trim when you cant get in your room,

Ill alway trim heavy just like I will always use a ppm-ph meter/ ferts/ quality soil, quality genetics

If I didnt do all of the above, it would not be worth growing

Last edited:
Such a Bummer that the pics & diagrams were gone after the crash but would love to see someone add some new pics of this Pistilwipt style once again cause so much valuable info from this form & brother we miss so much !! :prop:

Back