PW Pruning

This thread is wonderful..complete with details and pics of beautifully fat chics...

40s chem d

Chem D
veg em for 2.5 weeks, 16-18" tall
top about 5 days before flower
1 per sq ft, 16 per light.
chop all the lower shoots, just leave the top stuff.

Dose with phosphoload at day 16ish if they get too tall.

They each have between 4 and 6 top nug clusters which get direct light.

They come out dense n tight... Zero popcorn and trim easy. small ones end up 1.5z big uns 2.5z. Average 2.2z.... I'll take a few pics of the big ones as we take them down.

they get cut bet. 60-65 days. ec is about 1.8 in the beginning down to 1.5 while adding budswel (dosen't show on meter) and flush for at least 10 days

a great shot uptheskirts...aggressive pruning
attachment.php

hard to argue with plants like these...
attachment.php

this is a great thread

:cigar2:Excelent tutorial and disscussion on trimming. This is a bubble gum i have going now as you can see it has benifeited from the technique you describe. 52 days in flower 18 to go... :cigar2:

Nice thread :thumbsup:

I can vouch for giving the ladies their haircuts, sure wouldn't be able to do my trees without it!

Best way to learn is by experimenting, so set aside a few plants to try on if you are concerned about your main grow.

Good luck ya plant barbers! :laugh:

:pl::peace::pl:

I have not read the whole thread yet, but I saw your first TW 'loaves' so you can bet I will!

You know Rick Maughs? He grows huge buds like yours on MJ trees. He uses his own mix of mychazoral [spellin] fungi to get his plants to grow into trees.

Thank you VERY MUCH for this pruning thread. Your pics are just what I need.

ZZ

THANKS FOR THE PICTURES. VERY INFORMATIVE. WITH PRUNING SOMETIMES MORE IS MORE.

Very informative, im looking forwad to doing some experiments with all this info in mind as well. I am interested to see a side by side analysis of weight vs. Hrs of labor, etc.

-peace:whistle:

this is a great thread.

Couldn't read it all tonight, but how late do you prune into flower? Do you do the majority of pruning in Veg?

Reason I ask is, I've had them take it like a champ, and I've also seen yields and bud size drop big time..talking popcorn buds on as the main colas. Probly depends on the strain huh? The ones that didn't take kindly to a massive pruning up to 20 days in flower were green craks, giesels didn't seem to mind, and coulda probly taken a lot more.

:salut:

nice save gonejah...i had seen the text elsewhere but never knew we had the whole kit n kaboodle with the pics and even some updated pics from people on the island :D

I can say that ol PW helped me get over my fear of pruning heavy when i was first starting to grow more than a plant or three for delf. If it aint getting full light, i know another main shoot can if i train/tie/stake them right and prune well.

thanks G and thanks pw, fine tutorial indeed A+++

keep it green and fuck popcorn :exactly:

buffalo soldier

This thread rocks! Just exactly what I was looking for!

I do have a question (hope I didn't miss the answer somewhere)......is it important, timing wise, to allow the plant some more 24 hour light, after trimming, or can I trim and put them right on into bloom without any repercussion? I've got a pot growing book that says they need to chill a while before putting them into bloom, to get their hormones up again... George Cervantes, you know that book? I love it, but I know
people do a lota different ways....

Thanks again for this great thread. I'll sleep better tonight....
sark

Sark- I'm brand new to heavy pruning and wasn't until this current crop that I truly PWed any plants but I will say that I pruned the ever-loving shit out of my plants this run and gave them no time under veg photoperiod to recover and within a week plants that had been stripped had fans as big as my hands again. And I head to go through and remove fan leaves again, then again.

What that means for my garden in the big picture I don't know but will find out here in about 30 more days. And I wo t draw conclusions about fan leaves being "the solar panels of the plant" or not, but will say that today's small fan leaves are tomorrow's large ones.

"is it important, timing wise, to allow the plant some more 24 hour light, after trimming, or can I trim and put them right on into bloom without any repercussion? I've got a pot growing book that says they need to chill a while before putting them into bloom, to get their hormones up again..."

was that topping, or pruning like this?

i never got around to trying several plants, side by side, pruning thru veg vs waiting until the flip. i noticed that if pruning thru veg, the fan leaves get noticeably large at the pruned sites.

bud - just keepin a good thing going.
pw was kind enough to share. it really changed my garden

"What that means for my garden in the big picture I don't know but will find out here in about 30 more days."
in my limited experience, it doesn't really change weight, but how it's distributed (ie much easier trim.)

"What that means for my garden in the big picture I don't know but will find out here in about 30 more days."
for the sake of clarity, pw clarified that he only pruned the would-be branches, not the fans.
i can say from experience that heavy fan leaf pruning at the wrong time does seem to stunt growth, while more selective (ie along the tops) during the second half of bloom didn't seem to do much, one way or another

"Nice save...i had seen the text elsewhere but never knew we had the whole kit n kaboodle with the pics and even some updated pics from people on the island"

it's nice to read and see it...

I can say that ol PW helped me get over my fear of pruning heavy when i was first starting to grow more than a plant or three for delf. If it aint getting full light, i know another main shoot can if i train/tie/stake them right and prune well."
i remember the first time i did it...walking away with a shopping bag full of branches, about half the plant gone, thinking wtf did i just do...9 weeks later i found out

i would have never had the balls to do that if it was for his thread and pics. saved me plenty o trimmin time, and for that, i thank ya! :salut:

in my limited experience, it doesn't really change weight, but how it's distributed (ie much easier trim.)

I'm all about that. I'm President of the local chapter of the Popcorn Haters Club. Larf and trim are useless to me since I have no need for hash or oil.

Thanks gonejah for the thread brother.

My green flamingoes

SARK- How much pruning, and WHEN are the big factors:

Probably a bad idea to cut back the plant hard immediately before 12/12 (top heavily, remove all lower branches & intermediate level side branching - changing the plant from a shrub/tumbleweed shape to a menorah shape)

Better to gradually remove lowest side shoots in early veg (first few weeks), and depending on which strain, top the plant and select 3-5 side branches. Those can be re-topped, again, later. When shaping a plant, I usually only leave the last couple side growth shoots per branch, to develop a menorah-shaped, flat-top plant.

At 10 to 14 days into flower, I go back in again and remove the buds that have now developed in the lowest areas, if I've missed getting them prior to flower. NOTE- 2 wks into flower is also NOT the time to do the mass-clearing of undergrowth - that was 2-5 weeks earlier!

Here's a shot of plants: first one shows (on the left) at 5 weeks (on the right) at 2 weeks.

I leave all the fan leaves until they lose color, and in the last 3 weeks, if they block light to lower flowers I pull fans. Prior to harvest, a week or so to go, I usually remove all remaining fans.
Next shot is 60 days - most of the lowers were removed prior to flower - the Blue Dream in the center is a little shaggy, the SFV og's are doing the full flamingo.

Hello and thanks, Clancy. I've topped these girls about 3 weeks ago, and had already trimmed once, but not drastically. Yesterday I did a final trim, removing about the lower third branches which obviously will not reach light. took all the little sprouts on the stems in that area, culled the weak shoots in the top. I planned to wait about a week before flipping, and then trim once more about ten days into flower. This is a 50-55 day strain.
I have left some of the fans below the fault line, and will remove when they discolor. At least that's my plan. As plants mature, I do remove fans that need to go, due to light shielding (but never more than a small handful off one or two plants)....I also do alot of tucking of fan leaves.
My latest project was trimmed similarly, and I am very happy with the results. I am still working on the timing things, and your post helped me. Thanks so much.
Down with popcorn! :D

I stopped this method because I flower my plants using vertical bulbs:slap:. I know realize this method is needed more so now then in the past! Thanks again!

Hello and thanks, Clancy. I've topped these girls about 3 weeks ago, and had already trimmed once, but not drastically. Yesterday I did a final trim, removing about the lower third branches which obviously will not reach light. took all the little sprouts on the stems in that area, culled the weak shoots in the top. I planned to wait about a week before flipping, and then trim once more about ten days into flower. This is a 50-55 day strain.
I have left some of the fans below the fault line, and will remove when they discolor. At least that's my plan. As plants mature, I do remove fans that need to go, due to light shielding (but never more than a small handful off one or two plants)....I also do alot of tucking of fan leaves.
My latest project was trimmed similarly, and I am very happy with the results. I am still working on the timing things, and your post helped me. Thanks so much.
Down with popcorn! :D

sounds perfect... if you ever want to workation at a humble b&b in so cal, pm me, I'll put ya to work!

I was looking for this thread the other day but couldn't find it. Glad to see it got bumped anyway. I guess cause it is titiled PW and I was looking for pistil whipped. Great method for sure.

Back