Purple and discolored stems

dunno what you have but do you know the difference between a fungus gnat and a flying root aphid...that may be the issue

first is a fungus gnat, then flying root aphids...

Attachments

• fungusadult3.jpg
    fungusadult3.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 2
  • rootaphid2.jpg
    rootaphid2.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 3
Are ya sure they're eggs? As Melon posted in the other thread, the Avid residual will take care of em if they are. Also, you posted over a month ago that you were sprayin Avid, Forbid an Green Cleaner, in rotation, every other day. You posted that agian yesterday. Have you been doin that fer over a month?

If appiled properly, according to the label, which I don't believe you are, from what you have posted, the products you are using should have been very effective after one er two applications, at most.

Also, what you posted as fungus gnat damage, is not fungus gnat damage...FWIW.

yes i am realizing this. Yes, I have been seeing eggs. I'll get a micro sd card and get some shots to post. Also under the scope, I am seeing the black spots on the underside of the leaves which indicate broad mite damage from where they inject their toxins into the leaves. I'm also seeing the tell tale leaf curling on new growth. The only thing i have not done, according to label is mixing the stuff too strong. other than that, it's according to label

I did not realize that fungus gnats and flying aphids looked so similar. Thank you, Boo, for pointing that out. Now, in the past, I have pulled out and dissected the rootball in search of root aphids and found nothing but beautiful white roots. The damage does look like root aphid damge. I have pyrethrin concentrate. I'll do some more checking on a root ball tonight.

So y'all think i have both? Root aphids do not cause new growth to curl like broad mites do. What I saw on the top of the dirt in the pot looked like the first picture, but I buried it in DE so I can't truly be sure

so anythoughts on killing the possible aphids? Nematodes? I haven't sprayed substrate with anything or drenched with anything.

Last edited:
back when I was slaying it I brought in cuts from out west and they were covered with pests, tried all kinds of stuff and found that azasol, not azamax did an excellent job on the crawlers...it's not near as greazy as azamax but they sure are proud of it...$$$...

one method I've found to be superb is to let the rootball dry out so it's solid and light, place it on a 3' square white substrate and bounce it up and down so the rootball begins to shake out...now get your scope and see what you got...they won't hide from you if you do this...identifying the devil is the only way to eradicate them short of tearing down and starting all over...we've all been there...good luck

nope azasol...you right inasmuch as the azatrol is the same chemical...I didn't realize the azasol was produced by neem people...it sure did a killer job of slaying my aphids...once the solution was dry I dusted with DE and a power duster and a respirator...you don't wanna breathe that stuff in...remember guy, DE won't work if it gets damp, bone dry

ok for the time, being, I have watered one plant in veg with SNS 203, mixed one ounce in a gallon of water. The plant was dry and took almost the whole gallon.

I also mixed 1 ounce of Bayer Advanced Fruit, Citrus, Vegetable Insect Control in a gallon of water and gave that to another plant in veg. If the theory is correct, these plants should show much improvement. I'll run down and get some pics. brb

now, I have ordered some Met52. I got the liquid. It should be here monday. Here's a link.

I have top dressed the treated plants with the GrowStone version of DE. The guy at the hydro store talked me into getting it. It was cheap enough to give it a try. I'm skeptical it's as good as DE. Anyway, i guess we'll find out.

here's the two plants

yes i know there's DE all over the floor. I'll get it with the shop vac in the morning, as well as the spilled dirt on the table in the back. I run an anti-allergen filter in the shop vac so there's little to no danger of spreading any possible bugs or critters all over when using it

sorry if i come off as being in a mood. I'm not happy about any of this shit

Attachments

• root aphid treatment1 2 plants-private.jpg
    root aphid treatment1 2 plants-private.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Root aphis test 2 plant 1BBKXM-private.jpg
    Root aphis test 2 plant 1BBKXM-private.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 6
  • root aphid test 3 plant 2 FP-private.jpg
    root aphid test 3 plant 2 FP-private.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
you folks are awesome. Y'all gave me a much needed smile today. Thank you

I have an extensive bean collection. The beans i dropped last a few days ago have popped and I'll most likely be completely cleaning out the basement again. while the weather allows, I'll block off the windows in the other spare room upstairs and use that room for veg with a 400 watt MH and a fluoro fixture.

I am very curious as to what the hell is causing this. I'll dissect a rootball to check for aphids, although the couple times I have done this before showed nothing, but I do appreciate ya, Boo, for helping me diagnose the problem. I really do, my friend. I honestly think it's a combination of broad mites and possibly gnats or aphids.

I trimmed the treated plants back a little to make the new growth more apparent

I do have a new bag of FFOF. The newly popped seedlings will go into that and then be treated with a nice drink of Met 52 and topped with DE to ward off any evils hiding in the dirt. The treated plants in the basement will likely die very soon, but not before i dissect a rootball and watch for improvements from the treatments. i have a few days to play before the new seedlings need more attention than i can safely give them with these affected plants in the house.

sorry for being in a shitty mood the past few posts. I gotta get something going

Broad mites

Here's some shots of a fan leaf from the plant on the left pictured above, Blueberry Kush x The Mask.

This is Broad mite damage

pic one is a pic of the whole leaf.
2-4) the underside of the fan leaf viewed through the microscope. The black spots indicate where the broad mites fed and injected their toxins. you can plainly see the black interveinal chlorosis as well, especially in pic #2

questions? I've give the plants the weekend to see if the treatments for root aphids helped or not. They will then be dissected to look for root aphids or gnat larvae. I have to be sure i'm not dealing with 2 or 3 pests.

Attachments

• bmite damage1-private.jpg
    bmite damage1-private.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Mite Damage 3-private.JPG
    Mite Damage 3-private.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Mite Damage 2-private.JPG
    Mite Damage 2-private.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 5
  • Mite damage-private.JPG
    Mite damage-private.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 10
you need to be careful with that FFOF. that stuff will burn the little ones.

it looks like you found the mildest imid formulation out there. that stuff should do the trick if you have root aphids.

Last edited:
another tid bit of knowledge you need to consider guy, if you walk into your current contaminated grow room you do realize you will walk out with a zillion bugs on you...they are hichhikers and have no qualms about hopping on for a ride...walk from the grow room to where you are popping beans and they're baaaack...shut down if that's what you're gonna do and sterilize...trying to do 2 grows without cross contamination is way beyond your ability...not trying to be shitty but if your freaking over bugs and have had history of them, it's a grow room management guide you need...you're breeding bugs bro, not growing...begin again and go back to basics...find the roots to your soul...we all need to be humbled now and then...:exactly:

:puffpuffpass:

Are ya sure those dark spots aint trichomes?

the plants are in veg and there's nothing that looks like trichs or even the beginning of trichs on the top side of the leaves. I was reading about broad mites and saw a similar picture showing the dark spots where the mites have been feeding. I can't for life of me find that page now, but i saw it.

Boo, yes, i have take this into consideration. The basement stairs are through the laundry room. I've been wearing nothing but old sweats and crappy old t shirts when i go downstairs. When I come up from the basement, I strip and toss those clothes into the washing machine. It's perhaps not enough of an effort, but it's all i can do at the moment. The seeds upstairs have just popped today. I'll be cleaning throughout the weekend. Those seedlings will not be exposed to anything but the inside of that clean tent until the everything is clean. I even leave the shoes by the basement door. Given the negative pressure in the basement from ventilation, there's no way a mite will catch a breeze from that room into the rest of the house. You can hold a light up in there and the flame bends towards the basement. I'm not going to repeat my previous mistake of trying to have healthy plants in one part of the house and infested plants in another. Every plant in the basement will be burned by monday along with whatever the shop vac picks up off the floor and shelves, etc. The shop vac will be emptied into a cardboard box, that box placed inside another box and burned as well. Any soil or coco down there will be put into contractor bags and go into a dumpster. The rooms downstairs will be sprayed with bleach.

Good recommendations though. Oh and I've been so humbled the past couple years, I'll jump for joy over when i get decent buds. Thank you!

Last edited:
yes i see the trichs. I don't think the black spots were trichomes
it's moot anyway. All the plants in the house have been chopped.

onward and upward. Construction begins this week to further isolate the veg room.

the image was found on google images for broad mite damage. clearly show trichomes and the black spots i was showing before

Attachments

• mite damage with trichs.jpg
    mite damage with trichs.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
plan of action. New beans are being popped.

The basement in its entirety will be flooded with ozone from my ozone generators. The big one puts out 1100 mg of ozone per hour. At 5 ppm of ozone in the atmosphere guinea pigs will die. So I will set this thing up to flood the basement for a while. I'm trying to figure out how long, bear with me.

I will have the ozone generator and an exhaust fan hooked up with a very long extension cords that goes to the upstairs so i can control when the generator is on, be able to unplug it and plug in the exhaust fan to exhaust the zone out. Nothing will be alive down there. As long as the furnace is not operating, the ozone should stay in the basement. It should kill anything and everything down there and hopefully not melt the insulation on my wiring. There's no carpet involved down there so there shouldn't be much residual odors.

Thank you, my friend. I feel this is the real nuclear option. I just have to have my dogs out of the house and yet be home to ensure the whole house isn't flooded with ozone.

update: new genetics are growing strong.

NO SIGNS OF MITES, so far

the basement is still empty. When I have clones ready for veg, I'll start moving them into the basement veg room

It's over, for now

I have released lady bugs into the tent in my bedroom where the new genetics are growing. The Lady Bugs found nothing to feed upon.

I'M VERY HAPPY.

on a side note: nothing worked to kill these super borg.

my advice to anyone fighting them:

Tear down, burn everything and start over.

Attachments

• boredladybugs1-private.jpg
    boredladybugs1-private.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 7
  • boredladybugs2-private.jpg
    boredladybugs2-private.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 6
If the basement is empty I would order some Pylon bombs and blast a couple I think I mentioned I'm in over kill mode I'm restarting now myself with seeds. I think I got a little ptsd from my experience lol.... :puffpuffpass:

Back