pH for Coco

Reed Man

Ok, what pH do you all you pH your nutes to?

I usually go around say 5.9 average during veg. And 6.0 pH during bloom. Plus or minus .1 pretty much I like to swing a lil

I see some great coco plants here and wonder if you guys favor a more acidic veg or what your overall approach is?

Thanks for the help!

the nute regimen I mix comes out about 5.9-6.0 with my ro so I just stopped adjusting ph altogether unless im adding molasses, kelp or a few other organic things I add - then I just shoot for 6 usually by adding silica diluted in water

I run Royal Gold Tupur which isn't straight coco (its got forest humus in it as well, fwiw). I don't use my ph pens anymore and strictly use the liquid ph test kit from GH. (super cheap by the way and very accurate if not precise.) For veg I run just under 6 (solid yellow) and for bloom I go more acidic, like 5.5 or more orange-ish/yellow.

It looks like, from the early replies, that you guys prefer, your ph high.
Can you disabuse me of my erroneous promotion of acidic devotion?

It looks like, from the early replies, that you guys prefer, your ph high.
Can you disabuse me of my erroneous promotion of acidic devotion?

Is there a reason why you are going more acidic?
I've found with coco it's pretty forgiving from about 5.5-6.3. In fact, even better if you ride that curve and hit high/low/medium pH within that window for absorption skewing of diff components of the nutrient.

I think the type of nutrients makes a difference too. With organics and new coco my plants seem to do best when run-off is in the 6.1 to 6.5 range. Signs of deficiency start showing when the run-off is lower than 5.8 and become severe around 5.5. Re used coco with organics added to the medium will have a higher ideal pH with each reuse. For my oldest coco with lime and guanos added over time the ideal pH seems to run in the 6.8 range (runoff). When the medium reaches that stage its pH is very stable. The new stuff often fluctuates quickly downward on me if I don't keep a close eye on things.

i aim for anywhere between 5.8 - 6.5. now that i have a pH pen I am pretty sure of my measurements now ----

I pH to 5.9, and let it rise a couple points to 6.3 at the highest... I'm convinced letting it drift within the range of 5.8-6.3 ensures uptake of all nutrients.

Is there a reason why you are going more acidic?
I've found with coco it's pretty forgiving from about 5.5-6.3. In fact, even better if you ride that curve and hit high/low/medium pH within that window for absorption skewing of diff components of the nutrient.

I thought it was for increased P uptake. I've been doing it for so long that I'm not totally sure. HAHA

I hadn't been checking pH for years - curious if I even need too? Oh well... It's fun calibrating them and keeping them clean.

I hadn't been checking pH for years - curious if I even need too? Oh well... It's fun calibrating them and keeping them clean.

my normal mix in ro water comes out right about 6 - 6.1 s- the only time I bother to check or adjust is if I add certain things - liquid bone meal or molasses for instance drop the ph down into the mids 5s - i adjust back up to 6 with a minimal amount of a silica blast type product

Back