Off the shelf nutrient recommendations please

Joe Dirt

Hey islanders.

I'm researching the current nutrient market and wanted to ask about the newer products on the market vs old school products that worked just fine.

Old school (most recent)= PB Pro, LK and sweet.
I also ran the Canna Coco line for a while.

Older school = GH Flora Nova

Original school = GH Flora

Organics? General Organics?

Teas?

Top feed drip drain to waste?

Ebb flow recirculating?

New soilless each grow or recycle? No Till?

How do you dump soil with perlite in it? shit is a mess!

The square 1 or 2 gallon pots will be filled with either Roots Organic or Botanicare soilless mix. Was considering Pro-Mix HP also.

I have a jug of PB pro and some Roots Organic stuff from last years OD left to get me started, but I'd like to come up with a good plan moving forward.

The wife has given me the go ahead to have some plants, and I am grateful. We hope to be moving soon, so there will be some space to keep it away from the kids. Under lock and key.

Thanks Islanders for your input and experience

:rollitup:

Canna is great. AN is great. I've been using AN for 7 years now and still love it. You don't need all the additives. I only use the basic hobbyist level stuff.

I will not use GH or Botanicare or Gavitas lights since Scotts bought those companies. Make a difference. Stop buying those products

Recurculating drip in coco and worm casting pure blend pro nutrients with 7 gallon super pots. Kicks major butt. Good yields tasty meds.

I know around my parts most of the big growers are using AN .
I'm always trying out different nutrients and there so many to choose from these days .
I started using Dyna Gro last year and have had excellent results plus its not that expensive . Dyna Gro was the first hydro fertilizer on the market and has been around a long time .

Thanks for the input.
I'm looking at all options.
How did the AN taste Bart? Clean?
Recycling res is pretty easy to maintain.

Anybody have anything to say about drain to waste vs recirculating?
Peave.

There are 17 essential nutrients for plant nutrition, 20 depending on who you ask. Why pay extra, for a fancy bottle. I would like to know if we really think some products are worth the hydro store price versus "cheap" ag store products?

Why pay extra, for a fancy bottle. I would like to know if we really think some products are worth the hydro store price versus "cheap" ag store products?

The bottle does not need to be fancy.
We dont have the time or space to be able to mix custom nutes.

Kids, job, family responsibly and other distractions prevent me from having the time and space to do all it would take to custom feed my hobby sizes medical grow.

Something off the shelf is the best way for me to be able to grow with the time I do have. Quality time in the garden is hard to fit in. I need an efficient solution.

I'd use ag quality nutes if they were pre-mixed to a point and sold with easy to follow nutrition program.

Thanks Biggie - KISS is a key to success for sure.

peace

I would look at Hydroponic Research Veg + Bloom. One part powder that has all the extra additives in it already. Its a blend of organics and synthetics.

I started using Dyna Gro last year and have had excellent results plus its not that expensive . Dyna Gro was the first hydro fertilizer on the market and has been around a long time .

i used dyna gro for my very first grow as well as a short period a couple years ago. reasonable priced and effective. didn't require much additional CaMg either. :up:

Dyna grow looks great.
I think I'll finish up the last of my PBP and switch over.

Next question.

Pro mix HP?
ROots organic?
My own previous mix of coco perlite and worm casting 1/3 each. ?

Other favorite for use In a drain to waste or recirculating system?

My new workshop has 240 outlet. What's that good for? Lighting controller? Welder?

This is fun. Now have to figure out where the 4x8 tent goes. And where to veg.

The shop is a double ended garage. 1,000 Sq ft appx.
Front to driveway and the back to the back yard.
Front end has to be presentable to public if door is open. Plus that's where the kids drum set will go for family jams. I'll have office cabinets to use to partition off space to work
I'll whip up a floor plan and see what you think I can do.

I love the new tent. It's a quictent. It was less expensive than most. on Amazon just before Xmas.helped. Plus got another discount so it cost me about $175 for a sturdy 4x8.

It's freezing cold right now. Not sure 40MH veg is going to warm it up too much.

What s a good heater solution? Electric baseboard? Hear the exterior room heavily and pipe it in?

Cheers y'all. :juggle:
:gramps:

Recurculating drip in coco and worm casting pure blend pro nutrients with 7 gallon super pots. Kicks major butt. Good yields tasty meds.

Whats worm casting pure blend pro? Do you mean you use pbp and mix castings into the coco? Also 7gal are pretty big, are they rootbound in those, you growin trees?

Whats worm casting pure blend pro? Do you mean you use pbp and mix castings into the coco? Also 7gal are pretty big, are they rootbound in those, you growin trees?

If you put a period between the casting and pb pro it makes sense.

With you about that Joey, 7 gallon pots???

I use 1&1/2 gallon pots with coco and they give me 6-8+oz every 8 weeks

A 7 gallon pot would be a full on project..... I'd have to move somewhere I could fit the plant in

I have some 1 gallon and 2 gallon pots. Going with the 2 gallon.
If I choose to recirculate, do they have a filter bag I can put over bottom of pot so it doesn't leak coco and other solids back into the res - or just keep the outgoing water pre-filtered?

I feel like it's been a hundred years since I've grown.

Thank you all!!!!!

I cut a piece of thin landscape fabric just bigger than the bottom of the pot as an insert and avoid pots with holes up the sides. I use it as a filter on the end of return lines in some applications too, loosly fit with a twist tie.

That's with hydroton? Sweet.
I hate those little buggers though. Whoever got my old jeep must be wondering what that constant rattle is... :rolleyes:

Landscape fabric. Good idea. Thx.
:puffpuffpass:

Bush dr is right on the money. Ive been on coco for a few years now and.i.would say the biggest key to understand is that automated watering of some type is a must. Timed drip (pico manifold) style relies on pumps, blumats rely on gravity but can only feed salts, and ive seen 360 emitters done well on beds.

Pick your choice but i woyldnt recirc with coco if you want to max its benefits out.

Ive always wanted to try an organic coco mix but havent done so yet. My idea is to veg as normal in coco, then when transplanting to final pot fill with a coco supersoil, allowing the roots to ween off the chem nutes over 3-5 weeks as it grows slowly into the supersoil to finish. Best way to capture the rapid growth rate yet get some good flavor is my theory, but i need a good supersoil base recipe...

I recently setup my garage in a very simlar way, i will post pics soon as the girls are at 5 weeks. :puffpuffpass:

The TW looks good bush dr.
I like the DTW process. It's how I've been growing since I switched over from rockwool in 2003.
I used to run recirc gh flora.
Then coco perlite and castings with canna coco

Now I am liking the idea of DTW with lots of teas and either dyna grow or back to coco if that's how I go.

Still working on hearing the shop space or putting a baseboard heater in the tent on a thermo switch.
Also exhaust is exhausting. Thinking about full exhaust of the shop. Exhaust out of the tent but passive intake might get screwed up if I am evacuating all air from the shop.
Negative air in the tent was always important. Will it stay ok with all that air leaving the shop? Will this create positive air pressure? Oy.

Peace

The plants are ready and vegging in my office for now.

If it ain't broke....
GH 2 part Lucas Formula..
Easy peasy..kiss and all those other common sayings...

i agree but disagree. GH works BUT every thing about my grow improved when i switched from GH. flavor, appeal, smell, yield. Pure Blend Pro worked very well but the H&G line was an ever bigger/better improvement. not to mention HG is owned by Scotts which is owned by Monsanto.

i currently use coce perlite mix at 70/30 and H&G with a couple Cyco products added in (Potash for early flower and Supa Sticky for mid to late flowering). sure it's more expensive then GH but this is like comparing fast food to a fine dinner by comparing GH to just about any other line IMO.

House and Garden is my suggestions. if money is tight use pure blend pro their 1 part is better than GH's 2 part.

peace,

Back