Nutrient Showdown: What is YOUR base nutrient of choice?

THCaesar

give me your burrito
Considering a switch since I'm running low on the typical Jungle Juice / 3 part that I've been using for a few years now, but also considering not bothering..... was hoping that some of you guys might have something to say one way or the other about the nutrient lines you are currently running, and what your decision making process in getting there was / is.

What are all you guys using right NOW and why?

I'm sure most of us have tried a number of products, I personally have been using Advanced Nutes Jungle Juice for the last few years with pretty good success.... but I figure it's always good to keep an eye on trends....

Reasons I've been using JJ:

Ease of use / PH stability, mixing up the sauce is very predictable and the mix remains stable for enough time for me to go through a bucket without much any shift none at all really.

Price: the stuff is cheap, cheaper than GH 3 part I believe, but basically identical.

Community: Can use a base Luca's formula to get decent results and adjust from there..... having been BURNED:tongue: in the past by following bottle instructions, i find it nice that there's some community resources that have used these products and can attest to their function, and provide baseline recipes for success.

I'm primarily interested currently in the Heavy 16 line due to some input I've received from various sources.... but at the same time i'm pretty happy with the results of the standard 3 part.... looking for someone to sway my decision hah... I might be happy with the 3 part just cause i don't know what i'm missing.

THC

Last edited:
Well, in doing some looking, I'm lead to believe that Heavy 16 is likely not a good answer for someone running a rockwool setup, so perhaps i'll strike that one off the list.... but the question still remains.... what's everyone running with these days?

THC

I use what I've always used with pretty good success...gh 3 part in pH balanced water, a little guano and calmag and i'm done...the plants don't seem to miss the fancy expensive additives sold in hydro shops...I've tweaked the solution with kelp and a few other "hot" stimulants only to go back to my first formula I've ever used...keep it simple stupid works in my world...:party:

'Advanced' nutrients :rofl:

jack's or GH, everything else is watered down hype. Tried um all and the only difference is the hole they burn in your pocket.
It would be great to be on the west coast and just buy raw salt mixes from local suppliers.

Last edited:
Ok marmaduke....someone else you can laugh at. In veg age old grow and bloom. When I flip I use AN's Connoisseur A & B. Use pretty much the whole line. Don't care about the cost just the results. OG Bio War, cal/mag and a couple of other supplements bingo. Soil is straight Sunshine 4 with a little added perlite. And that's it folks......:monkey3:

EJ is good and cheap, nothing to fancy other than I believe it needs to brew before using to make the pH rise. Ive been using nectar on my chocolate trips. It has been easy to use, zero issues, and so far things look pretty good. Depending on the smoke quality, might be my new favorite for bottles.

Heavy 16 for the win. Funny you mentioned that as I feel like few people rock it for as good as it is.

Pros:
Has enough calcium in the mix
Only 2 part so minimal bottles, super easy mixing
Frosty buds...like real frosty caked.
I find the grow and bloom bases cheap for the level of quality
Equal part usage rates

Cons:
Veg a/b and bloom a/b means 4 bottles, only use 2 at a time though (i view this as a positive because I believe veg and bloom base requirements differ, canna doesnt)

I am currently using cutting edge solutions base with average results. The growshop stopped carrying heavy 16 and is now very limted in selection, cheap ass nutrients to compete with legal operations. Changed the whole hydro shop model up here. Used to be a one stop shop for ANYTHING your grow imagination could dream.

Pros:
Cheap
Flavor of this run seems good

Cons:
3 bottles: veg, micro, bloom makes mixing a bit of a hassle each time
Adjustments through your cycle are regimented on the bottle...too much to keep track of
Seems to make stuff want to yellow up or burn a bit more than I'm used to...low quality maybe

Reed Man, what type of medium are you growing in?

I'm strictly rockwool over here and my concern is that in going with an "organic" based nutrient that relies on some of the biological processes that soil or coco might better support, i'll be missing out on the primary benefits of this line.

Seems like the "cascading delivery" they speak of would require long periods of some level of nutrient saturation within the medium to actually function, and in the wool my goal is to have to feed once a day and the dryer the cube gets the better imo (until it gets dead dry, or drooping...that's too dry).

I'd love to be wrong, as I have received some good input in regard to the line and from people i'd generally trust hearing it from, but these guys arent using rockwool

THC

House & Garden been using it for years. a couple additives are expensive but worth it and the application rate is low. i use the base A&B at 2ml per liter and the additives at 1-1.5ml per liter.

i've used H&G with Rockwool cubes and small cubes, perlite, grow rocks, and coco&perlite mix.

Reed Man, what type of medium are you growing in?

I'm strictly rockwool over here and my concern is that in going with an "organic" based nutrient that relies on some of the biological processes that soil or coco might better support, i'll be missing out on the primary benefits of this line.

Seems like the "cascading delivery" they speak of would require long periods of some level of nutrient saturation within the medium to actually function, and in the wool my goal is to have to feed once a day and the dryer the cube gets the better imo (until it gets dead dry, or drooping...that's too dry).

I'd love to be wrong, as I have received some good input in regard to the line and from people i'd generally trust hearing it from, but these guys arent using rockwool

THC

Thc, I'm in pure coco and only run salt bases because I use drippers sometimes (blumats).

I think the cascading calcium is the real deal and doesnt need a lot of organic stuff going on. All I do is root stimulant during veg, enzymes during late veg and bloom. Have to handwater the enzymes every 10 days or so.

Gotta use the "professional foliar nutrient" from them. Game changer bro!! I guarantee anybody who tries it agrees.

I imagine Rockwood would be ok but never ran it. The way I look at nutes is there's 3 tiers basically:

Tier 1: cheap, bulk nutrients like veg n bloom or maxibloom or whatever. Can be good stuff, very cheap

Tier 2: liquid nutes like botanicare, ej, gen hydro, cutting edge solutions, etc goes on and on. Crappy stuff in my opinion.

Tier 3: high quality new gen liquid nutes like canna, heavy 16, house and garden, aptus, etc. High price, especially for the additives which aren't really necessary. The bases are powerful and well rounded. Not sure if it's new and better fomulations or higher quality raw materials but the results are hard to argue with when used in the right hands.

Just my :kuku:

Been playing with this hobby for almost 15yrs and have tried damn near every soil & food as I had a bad habit of chasing the next best thing for a bit there.. not a good thing to do I add.. :pointlaugh: From Canna to GH to EJ and Foxfarm nutes..

I think we all kinda get caught up with this in a way.. my bro in Australia says he loves the cool graphics on our nutrients.. looks so cool it's gotta work.. so a thread like this is a great way to get info from experienced growers like we have here..

K.I.S.S. method will keep more $ in your pockets..

What I've found is, if you buy a good soil most everything these plants need is already in the soil.. I started using Roots Organic Soil 2yrs ago and did an entire grow of Autos where all I gave them was some calmag and some PK twice during flower..

I've been using the Roots Organic food line because I bought this all in a kit cheap.. the soil is what has impressed me the most, and a few of their products I'll probably use forever.. I'd have to say for anyone wanting to grow organically.. this stuff passed my test.. :puffpuffpass:

Raw salts mixed using hydrobuddy here. 5 gallons of A and 5 gallons of B = 500 gallons of final solution, total cost 8 USD:D

2b2s

I been using The full line of Dyna Gro its extremely concentrated 1.1 1.2 EC is all that is need for (indoor ) They were the first to sell hydro ferts

Outdoor North Country Organics Pro Start and Pro Gro

What I've found is, if you buy a good soil most everything these plants need is already in the soil.. I started using Roots Organic Soil 2yrs ago and did an entire grow of Autos where all I gave them was some calmag and some PK twice during flower..

I've been using the Roots Organic food line because I bought this all in a kit cheap.. the soil is what has impressed me the most, and a few of their products I'll probably use forever..

Quick side comment, used roots soil a lot in past years. I think its one of the better mixes on the market but I think you can do better. Just started using Coot's mix and have been nothing sort of satisfied so far. Probably the best Ive worked with thus far. Price point is good too.

Back