Nextlight 525 watt LED

i bought and tested a solar storm 400 w from california lightworks a few years ago. i think i payed 600 with free shipping. i had 3 month free trial. if i didnt like it i could send it back for a full refund. that is what i ended up doing.

the veg portion of the light did a great job. the flowering portion was only so so imo. not worth a 600 investment. to their credit they returned all of my money.

i loved the no heat aspect of leds and the fact that leds have long life. the unit was at 71degree measured right on the unit itself. i also liked the low power requirement.

if i remember right the veg portion of the unit drew 180 watts and the flowering portion drew 280. yield was mediocre at best and they were all fluffy buds.

i will be interested in your report.

trying 440 w spectrum king led[epoensive!!]..vegs great still have not got around to flower..big penetration though

also flowering a pure sativa under a cheap 225 w led panel..no bad so far

Last edited:
The history of the LED light industry in cannabis growing is that they do make impressive claims...most of which are never realized. Frankly we are somewhat to blame. Cannabis growers do not tend to be discriminating when it comes to tech. They have had a good amount of available cash and have often not wanted to stand out in their complaints. It has been a boon field for the con men.

The sad fact is that there now exists tech for lights that are greater than 50% efficient (I believe with a new bulb HID (HPS) tops out at around 38%). There are MANY different levels of quality within the LED industry.

The better LED light produces less heat, directs light where you want it (canopy) and not into an inefficient reflector. The LED also allows for a better spread and has a more of a usable spectrum, so that the light it does produce goes to growing your plant.

All that said, there are a lot of slick folks cashing in by selling inferior products to us with our hope to realize the true promise of the LED.

In fact you could go to China right now and there are a handful of manufacturers that would build you a cheap light and have your name put on it ("Fatboy light deluxe"). Have them make a thousand units and hype them, sell them and disappear with a nice profit. It is done all the time.

Most of the lights on the market are of inferior quality components (Chips and drivers) with poor design and corners cut. Many of the finished units you can buy come out of a few Chinese factories that have no issue supplying junk.

The unit you are looking at could be OK; but they fail to supply information, at that site, to suggest they are anything other than snake oil salesmen. A quality manufacturer will list drivers and chip arrays. You can do better.

The best LEDS are right now being assembled using Cree and Bridgelux chips.

I am no expert. If you are interested in cannabis and LED lighting, I would suggest reading the LED section at Rollitup.org. There are a few guys who really have it together over there; SupraSPL, Churchhaze, Mr Flux and Stardustsailor come to mind. Positivity, who posts here sometimes, has a lot of good information. I have not seen him in a while, but you may consider giving him a PM before you jump.

The LED with its incredible efficiency, will likely be the light of our future. This already true for personal growers such as myself and will likely be so for industrial scale growers (as long as we remain indoors dependent on artificial light).

There are currently a few LED companies that may prove to be good- area 51 comes to mind, but again I am no expert. Your panel I would avoid out of general principle of not providing specific details regarding components and design. In any case good luck!

Here is a old thread that has side by side grows HPS vs LED. This was 600 watts of LED vs 1000 HPS. HPS yeilded an extra 21gms. These were each of the same clone. ***Important Point*** LED was a high quality LED.

http://www.rollitup.org/t/apache-at600-led-vs-1000w-hps-blue-dream-grow.813412/

HEAD TO HEAD...LED then HPS

CANNABINOIDS: Total: LED=27% HPS=25%

THCA: L=25%, H=22%
THCAC4: L=0.74%, H=0.74%
D9THC: L=1.7%, H=2.0%
D8THC: L=0.11%, H=0.095%
CBNA: L=0.091%, H=0.081%
CBDA: L=0.08%, H=0.067%
CBCA: L=0.047%, H=0.046%
CBGA: L=0.23%, H=0.13%
CBG: L=0.15%, H=0.13%

TERPENES:
Terpinolene: L=0.087, H=0.13
Linalool: L=0.089, H=0.088
Beta-Myrcene: L=0.63, H=0.51
Alpha Pinene: L=0.58,H=0.59
Limonene: L=0.098, H=ND

LED: 656g@27%=177.12g of Cannabinoids...175.15g of it THC
HPS: 677g@25%=169.25g of Cannabinoids...162.48g of it THC

You can lead horse to water.

Thanks for all the info folks. The side by side comparison is neat to know/read. My only issue is , the fact that a 1000 HPS only yielded 677g.

I think these videos may be interesting about yields:

the set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ert3fmYQlk

the numbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9gdoTO3_kw

Note the Spyder light is 600 watt vs the e-pap, and Gavitas at 1k. Look at g/watt. Also the Spyder is not as efficient as some of the new DIY designs because the LED industry is producing more and more efficient LED's.

PS thanks you guys for the Kudos.
PPS: I have all the parts to put together a few medium sized cabinet grows. Thermal management is far superior with the LED and therefore particularly good for smaller spaces.

I think penetration has always been the downfall if I'm not correct? I'm paying attention because I know good things are coming from led land!

i do not think penetration is the problem now if there is one..and there still may be

though i have not flowered with this 90 deg 440 w spectrumkingled yet[d'oh]

i do know the penetration may even be better than an hps 1k

penetration has a lot to do with beam angle..and led wattage

Thanks for all the info folks. The side by side comparison is neat to know/read. My only issue is , the fact that a 1000 HPS only yielded 677g.

Yea seems not right to me either :study:
The guy I got the Chernobyl cut from ran led ..my 1000 kicked ass compared to his .

Now his sys may have been low end but so was mine .
15 year old mine ballast and used HPS that was given to me ..
Temps of over 100 , avg 90 and I still kicked his ass .

But that was years ago .
Times change tech. and change has happened on both sides .

if penetration isnt such an issue what about footprint size?

depending on beam angle foot print is not bad either[160 bean angle will sprtead wide]

what remains to be seen by me yet[when/if i get off my ass] is

how well it grows fat dense buds..

so far a 220 w at 10hrs on[long flower sativa] is flowering the Vb better than i have seen via hps[tight ]

but its not side by side with an hps..so it doesn't count for me..

side by side should happen this winter

i will soon have my [custom spectrum wide beam no fan]led highbay to use too

Melon jump on that project will ya! I would seriously think about going down that road if the foot print is comparable to my HID and grows fat dense buds that is key.

Some of the claims in those videos is pretty crazy. There's also no proof in the videos that he actually did those numbers. I watched them about a month ago and I think some claims were like 1.6 gpw or something crazy.. Of course he never showed the finish in either video. Seems to me if you pull numbers like that, your a hero and selling containships full of them overnight.. :)

I did run the numbers and all things being equal like 1 gpw under both types of lights then its a no brainer that 1000's will always win. The led's have to do 1.66 gpw to equal a 1000 doing 1 gpw. I havent seen that yet from led's.. 1 gpw on the leds seems to be pretty doable and probably easier than the 1000's.
The 2 leds I am running right now are performing well. Tighter nodes and bud density is good. There will be less stretch and I could definitely see them doing 1 gpw. I wont on this run but I can see how it would be doable.
At the end of the day, in a limited space the hps will win. In an unlimited warehouse with an unlimited budget the led's could do well. In my small 12x12 space I'm not giving up the hps. The led's are in a small test space and will probably stay there to do personal stash or test runs of other strains.

I think these videos may be interesting about yields:

the set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ert3fmYQlk

the numbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9gdoTO3_kw

Note the Spyder light is 600 watt vs the e-pap, and Gavitas at 1k. Look at g/watt. Also the Spyder is not as efficient as some of the new DIY designs because the LED industry is producing more and more efficient LED's.

PS thanks you guys for the Kudos.
PPS: I have all the parts to put together a few medium sized cabinet grows. Thermal management is far superior with the LED and therefore particularly good for smaller spaces.

well said herby:

i am getting my leds sent this week..

though i have heard claims that a particular led or two willoutperform hps i have to say that

a 1kw hps is proven power..where we live hydro is insane..i think this 440 led can do well

especially in the the thc quality mode

i hope these two 250's with wider beam angle i had made can do even better

and at a way better price..

but in the end

we'll see<---

cant wait to see how it works out Melon...might make me go that route eventually and I can agree hydro rates here are way past insane!

Look at what commercial greenhouses use... it's not LED. The 315W Phillips CMH/LEC are about as efficient as LED, better spectrum, less expensive and longer lasting. LED is not competitive yet.

Look at what commercial greenhouses use... it's not LED. The 315W Phillips CMH/LEC are about as efficient as LED, better spectrum, less expensive and longer lasting. LED is not competitive yet.
Yep, the diodes seem to start to burn out pretty quick. 2-4 runs. Mine are on their 3rd run and I have a couple blues burning out already.
The buds they produce are nice though.. I'll post some pics in another week when they finish up.

I agree. Look at the commercial stuff. Commercial will always lead what most folks are doing; just like the experimental will always lead commercial.

I will wager that in ten years LED diodes will be leading in commercial growing. Because I believe LED is now leading in experimental growing and efficiency studies.

Don't jump yet; unless you just want to feel what its like on the leading edge. The LEDS will stomp the HID's in time. Just be careful of the low quality units trying to ride the wave and take your money. Not yet...not yet..

Back