Knighthawk's Corner of Cabana Beach

Knighthawk

Hey islander friends, I thought I would use a small piece of this beach to show my grow and eventually tell people how and why I like to do things the way I do. I have been secluded in my Dragon Lair for over ten years now so my process is probably a bit different than yours.✌️

I call this my Spicy Purple Fantasy: (Old Family Purple CSI)
IMG_20240118_164547_353.jpgIMG_20240125_221338_676.jpg

Last edited:
All you big dogs out there know all the ways to grow weed so I'm not trying to school you. But in case there is someone on the island who wants to learn from this old Dragon, I am going to mention the things that I feel are most important.

I grow in Coco which is not soil and although coco can be beneficial in soil, growing in coco without soil is nothing like growing in soil. Growing in coco is much more like growing hydroponically.

I feed my plant like it is an engine and I always keep it primed. This means that I always keep the coco wet with a pump and a reservoir filled with CLF strength nutrients.

There are many reasons why I feel it is best to always keep the coco wet:

1: If the roots are dehydrated they are not drawing in nutrients properly and the plant goes into survival mode rather than production mode.

2: This is an easy way to always keep the pH where I want it

3: When the planter dries up, many of the nutrients wont ever dissolve again, thus drawing other fresh nutrients out of solution when added.

4: Because I am continually flushing the planter with fresh nutrients, I never get any salt build up and dont need to worry about doing EC tests.

5. If I buffer the coco with extra cal-mag the first time I get it wet, and I always keep the coco wet with my regular regimen then I don't ever need to add extra cal mag to my normal regimen (unless the coco dries out, then I need to buffer it again once). If the coco is buffered and stays wet then it will remain buffered.

By providing the fertigation from above, I am pushing the old used solution down and out of the planter with the injection of new nutrients. The new nutrient solution keeps the PH where I want it, allowing the plant to consume the fresh balance of nutrients. The old water is removed from the system as waste by gravity and or a pump. As I continuously do this every hour or two throughout the day, the plant is able to feed with the proper pH and nutrient balance all day long, allowing it to produce with its greatest potential possible.

The only time that I dont continually fertigate every hour is for about a week when I am waiting for the roots to stretch out after transplanting into the biggest planter.
I just recently switched down from the number 3 airpot with the yellow bottom to the number 2 airpot with the red bottom. My plants were getting too big for this new 7 foot flower room. (doing the best with what I got to work with)

I mix my own nutrients: I dont trust the large corporations. They want us to consume their products, they dont care how well your plants produce. A few examples are:

1: Coco only needs to be buffered once with extra cal mag if it is always kept wet, coco doesn't need extra cal-mag in the normal cannabis regimen if properly buffered and kept wet.

2: I also like a different Cal to Mag ratio than is in most cal-mag formulas. These two elements are used symbioticaly by the plant, if the ratio is off a little, adding more cal mag will keep making the problem worse, or rather, make one reliant on the suppliment.

3: Probably the most common problem I see with most corporate formulas is that it is mathmatically impossible to keep a correct micro-nutrient ballance if they put the micro nutrients into the same formula as the macro nutrients. These two live in different mathmatical dimensions and can not be divided equally. Unless we are always feeding these type of formulas at full strength, we are not giving enough micro nutrients to the plant. Because the macro nutrients are symbiotic with the micro nutrients, the wrong micro ballance can lead to macro deficiencies as well as micro.

With that said, I once had an old batch of my Micro mix fall out of solution and it caused dramatic problems. The Micro's are super important!!!

Training some new mothers.

LA Peyote Kush (front)
Mango Kush (back)

I got this Mango Kush from a low end breeding outfit. Hoping it is legit and has the flavor and type of high that I remember from back in the day. If not, it wont stay in the collection (worth a try, I love that old school mango kush but dont see it in any of my favorite breeders lineup).

I like to go ahead and make a mother with the original seed plant and take clones off of it. This makes more sense to me than waiting until it is in flower to take a clone for the mother even though I haven't sampled the pheno yet. It doesn't take much to keep that lil mother alive until I find out whats up. I know this isn't the way of the BRO but whatever. So far they both seem to be growing well.

I am currently using the philosophy of letting Jah choose the pheno for me rather than performing a big pheno hunt. There is an interesting book titled: The Secret Teachings of Plants. The book is super heady and talks about several ideas but the main topic focuses on how our bodies are in constant communication with the plants and animals around us on a cellular level, kind of in the same way the plants communicate with the microbes. His theory is that this mode of communication helped teach the plants what our bodies need and thus influenced the evolution of every plant throughout history. According to the author the plants know what we need and want from them and in order to survive they give us what we need.

Obviously the plant isnt going to change from a sativa to an indica through metaphysics... but I think Jah can bring the right pheno to me out of the proper genetics. Jah watches out for me, always has! 🧙‍♂️

IMG_20240412_092959_828.jpg
IMG_20240412_093002_419.jpg

Last edited:
I used to run what I call a Kaya Train, with Blueberry Muffins.
Basically, a Kaya Train it is a sea of green but I would put a plant in flower every 3.5 weeks and harvest a plant every 3.5 weeks, Blueberry muffins worked good for this because of its short flower time. The canopy from the larger plant in flower was overshadowing the smaller plant so every other plant was growing weak because of a lack of light. I also don't need 10 ounces for my head stash every 3.5 weeks, I puff tough but not that much...... I decided to change things up and run three plants at a time in sea of green hoping the canopy will stay fairly even and each plant will produce well.

This veg space was originally made for one plant. I just recently modified it to drain three plants. The drainage system works well as I was able to remove the pump and rely solely on gravity (no chance of flooding due to a bad pump in this space now). The room to stretch is also about a foot shorter now. As I mentioned before, I downsized to a number 2 airpot because my plants were growing past my light and touching the 7 foot ceiling in flower. The smaller airpots also allow me to get three in this space. I usually keep a plant in this space for three weeks, in that time one plant will completely fill it up. I am interested to see how well they grow with such limited space now that there are three in there. They are doing well but are not getting in each others way yet, time will tell. Going to top them as soon as they fill the planter with roots.

Two Spicy Purple Fantasy and one Zkittlez (I couldn't find any Zkittlez from trusted sources so this might not be the real deal.)
IMG_20240415_180507_956.jpg

For anyone who is curious: I cut out a 4" hole in the floor in the back left corner of this cabinet and built a small compartment over the hole that I can slide a 10" x 10" filter into (MERV 11 filter). Over the filter I have a fan that draws air through the filter and blows it up. The cabinet doors do not seal completely so this fan keeps the intake coming through the filter instead of through any cracks in the doors caused by the outtake pressure. I place all the electric cords on top of the compartment next to the fan so the wires are up off the ground floor. If I ever have a leak the water runs out under the filter into a drip pan under the cabinet. I made this a long time ago, my other cabinets intake is drawn through the filter from the outtake fan because they seal completely.

Well, this questionable Zkittlez in front has already kinda spoiled my plans for an even canopy. Haha! Going to have to raise it up in flower unless I can get a good side light on it. Arg, I should have known better... nothing can keep up with those gems in the back.
IMG_20240417_165317_960.jpg

I haven't ever used fabric pots friend. The first time I saw someone using airpots they were putting the airpots into fabric pots. I bought fabric pots to try out at one point but never used them and then misplaced them the last time I moved.
I really like my results with the airpots. When I first got into coco I was using square planters. I was still using them when I started timing my fertigation events once every hour. My plants grew better than when I was treating the coco like soil, they grew buds that were decent but nothing got that beefy, plants or buds. When I investigated the root zone, I noticed the roots would shoot to the edges of the planter and there were no roots in the center of my planters. That doesn't happen to me in the airpots, I get great roots with the airpots and wish I switched to them sooner.
I use the small airpots because the mother plants dont seem to get root bound as easily in them due to the air pruning. I'm guessing the fabric pots do the same thing... and would not be made of plastic.
Really, in the back of my head I worry about mold in the fabric and the best way to clean the fabric pots. I'm sure I am overthinking it but aside from just going with what I found is working, that would be the reason I havent explored the fabric pots.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanations/rationales for why you do things the way you do. Seems you've evolved a good system.

Might I suggest a little foliar feeding on the zkittlez plant that is lagging? Might help it to catch up to the other two.

Thanks for the explanations/rationales for why you do things the way you do. Seems you've evolved a good system.

Might I suggest a little foliar feeding on the zkittlez plant that is lagging? Might help it to catch up to the other two.
Thanks for the suggestion friend; I am personally against foliar feeding. I feel that spraying elements, and moisture onto the leaf can lead to mildew and or mold problems because this creates an environment on the leaf for these types of problems to thrive. My theory is that these types of issues cant grow on the leaf if the leaf is dry and they don't have anything to feed off of.
Also, it seems like putting something onto the leaf must effect how well the leaf collects photons, if only a tiny bit. I want that engine pumping up that jam at full speed at all times.

"pump up the jam, pump it up, pump it up; keep pumpin."

It is amazing what a few days having your ventilation on at night will do for your plants.... duh! Got everything back on track again.
IMG_20240423_220603_847.jpg

This stupid ?Zkittlez just doesn't want to catch up. Might could get away with three in this small space if they grew the same but decided to go back to alternating in the flower room (Its hard to switch from harvesting every 3 weeks to 9), nothing a second light and better training cant fix.

Just so you all know, I am growing the zkittlez because I have never tried it. I stopped trying anything cookies a long time ago but then recently saw that this one might be worth trying. I'm hoping some of you can help me discern whether it is the real Zkittlez later down the line.

Just so you all know, I am growing the zkittlez because I have never tried it. I stopped trying anything cookies a long time ago but then recently saw that this one might be worth trying. I'm hoping some of you can help me discern whether it is the real Zkittlez later down the line.
I thought zkittles didn’t have cookies in it? Grape ape x grapefruit?

Back