How would Ya'll keep a couple of Moms if space is a major consideration?

Slim Pickens

I Blue my mind.
I have limited space.

Suppose I wanted to keep a plant or 2 as Mothers.

Would you suppose using a cardboard appliance box would work? Would probably want a 50-70w MH (assuming I could find one or a cheap led) for lighting and a smallish computer fan for ventilation.

Pretty sure that is a reasonable solution,but I'm always open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Used upright refrigerator/freezer. Single door freezers are best, adjustable shelving is nice as well, fixed light and just move the shelf.

Door shelves are good for nutes and storage of whatever fits

That is a very good idea. Thanks for that CBF.

The only downside I see is when the need for the "box" is over,then it would involve a trip to the dump. A cardboard box on the other-hand would be a snap to dispose of.Then again,cardboard will degrade due to moisture and continual use.

Quandaries everywhere a guy turns,right?

Last edited:
Id use an LED like this one, 2 foot one would work for a few small bonsai moms in a little 2-3 foot tall cabinet. I wouldnt use cardboard, tall rubbermaid tote would be better, but ive done that in a nightstand even. They make mini tents i think, and yes little computer fan might help but those lights run cool.

https://www.amazon.com/Monios-L-Spe...=9002163&hvtargid=pla-442164902617&psc=1&th=1

That is a very good idea joey.

I'm really trying to find a resolution that is inexpensive,and easily disposed of when the need is over. That is why the cardboard box came to mind. I actually have done pollination's in a cardboard box,but that is usually a short term project. Keeping a Mom or 2 is something entirely different. I wouldn't mind using a refrigerator,if obtaining one was inexpensive and then easily disposed of when the need was over.

I have been dealing with this for a few years now, in order to keep them small I have been able to keep 6-10+ of them in the same 2x2x3 tent with my clone dome. I keep them in solo cups and very short/bushy. The key is very little light, in mine I literally have two of the tiny cfl bulbs. If they are precious cuts keep two of them as they don’t live well if they dry up. The way I run it is to take the little “mom” put it in a - gal pot and then into veg. Once big enough I take cuts (to be the future moms) and then into the flower tent. You’ll notice no exhaust fan or carbon scrubber even with the heat mat for the clover. Cord fan and open ports. You could easily make a smaller box (in a previous life my veg/mom box was about 1.5 sq feet). But the CFLs should save you enough money to buy a cheap Amazon small tent.

And… my photo vault app is acting up so I’ll have to post a pic a little later.

I appreciate everyone chiming in. I was trying to avoid another tent,as I have 2 already,and not sure if I could squeeeeeze another'n in that little room.Not hardly enough room to turn around in there as it is.:sad2: I appreciate the mention of low lighting too [MENTION=2658]Olday[/MENTION]. The idea of a couple of screw in leds occurred to me as a possible remedy. I don't seem to see any cfl's available anymore.Not saying there aren't any,just that I haven't seen any lately. I probably should look a little harder.

I do have a leftover old kitchen cabinet in the garage clutter that might lend itself to this purpose.It's pretty small as I remember,but if not that one, something else will eventually turn up....maybe. :)

I've really been wanting to get away from keeping plants at all. I'd really prefer to just go straight from seed..but that presents it's own set of problems,unless all the seed were Feminized..which it isn't.

You also have a 3rd option many never consider... now this is possible as we all did it about 10yrs ago after a friend who was great at tutorials put it up... we were amazed.

Grafting... now, instead of me explaining how to graft, best to go read up on it.. but here is the gist of it.

You can graft another strain you want to keep as a mom, onto another plant you want to keep as a mom. It does not change or affect the plant that is grafted onto Mom #1, it's
simply a life force to receive food and water from... he had done this combining 3 strains and then keeping them all as a bonzai... when he wanted any of the 3, he'd veg it out for
a bit, take cuts and back to bonzai and low light...

I imagine this would be a bit of a challenge, but, always cool to share this story..

I've done some grafting,but never did cannabis. I'd only be keeping1,possibly 2. A small cab could hold several if kept small.That would be the challenge for me. Tomorrow I'll look at the cabinet in the garage. I remember it being smallish,but I'll drag it out and give it a look.

All great ideas.
Check out herbal tea’s well documented cabinet micro grow thread over in micro section here on how to use that cabinet you already own. It’s not the only way but a well documented one. Combine it with the grafting idea and you could have way more than two strains kept.

Good iuck. Report back!
Fh

Slim, I second the cardboard box idea. Nothing cheaper than a used cardboard box! A tent = $$. You should be able to cobble something together that is, at least temporarily, suitable for your purposes, without spending much money. And joey clams is right about the fan being unnecessary; the low-intensity lighting you use won't put out much heat.

So,I measured up the cabinet..it's 16"w x 11"d x 29"H. I could put a shelf in there as it has clips for them. Probably could find an original if pressed. No way it would accept a strip light or similar more than about 15" long and would require diagonal positioning. I could probably put a standard light bulb base in it and use a standard led for lighting. Maybe just a 13w daylight Led?

Otherwise a cardboard box for the time being.

So,I measured up the cabinet..it's 16"w x 11"d x 29"H. I could put a shelf in there as it has clips for them. Probably could find an original if pressed. No way it would accept a strip light or similar more than about 15" long and would require diagonal positioning. I could probably put a standard light bulb base in it and use a standard led for lighting. Maybe just a 13w daylight Led?

Otherwise a cardboard box for the time being.

I’ve flowered in smaller, that is plenty as long as you keep the light down. Vault app still not working but I’ll grab a pic today

Thank you for that picture Olday. I passed the local appliance dealer when coming back from an errand. I saw a cardboard box that last contained a water heater. Something just felt right. :) I'll go back after closing and look at it a little closer.I would need to cut it down a little maybe,but it sure would give me some extra room which would be helpful. I could put it on an old nightstand which would make access easier as well.

All great inputs here.
I'd say that water heater box would be perfect (what are the dims?) Was going to suggest going for more height versus more footprint.
If you can come up with adjustable light height, it will give you some real flexibility and allow for lower maintenance.
Definitely consider auto-watering system, with the reservoir being a tub or 5gal bucket in the bottom of the box.
On the tub/bucket goes your catch tray and pot support with a drain back into the tub.
Something along these lines, whatever works (pic).
With a timer, have left mother cabinet unattended for weeks at a time. Kept couple moms this way for year or two with a monthly (or longer!) rez change, dump in water every couple weeks to top off rez. Only used one light.
To prune/trim, sometimes would just snip across like a hedge trimmer, 15 seconds and done.
When coming out of hibernation, would take cuts for new moms and downsize to the regular Mom/Clone cabinet. With the extra space in the Armoir, it sure made it easy and low maintenance.

Here are some pics from the MrE Studio thread.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20211018_195136460.jpg
    IMG_20211018_195136460.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 3
I'm slaving away on my cardboard Mom saver box.

I just want to keep a couple is all. I am hoping to use my 2x4 tent to flower a couple,and just need a space to back-up a couple Moms. I may like the situation,which would necessitate a more permanent solution. But in the meantime a simple (and I DO mean simple....keep in mind who is doing this) solution to a short term problem. I do have the box about ready,and will just need to provide the light,and take some cuts and pray that I can get something to root,and I'll be off to the races.

The box ended up being 2x2x3h.

Back